PDA

View Full Version : '13 IN LB Jaylon Smith (Verbal Commit 6/2/12 ND LOI)

Pages : [1] 2

zimmsbg78
08-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Linebacker
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Bishop Luers

Links of Interest:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Jaylon-Smith-125963

http://247sports.com/Recruit/Jaylon-Smith-11043

Ht:6'3"
Wt:202 lbs
GPA:2.9
Class:2013 (High School)

Multimedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO3YilwuwZg&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud_YcG_NrFc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XFvrl9mI3s&feature=player_embedded

Jaylon currently holds verbal offers from pOSU, Mississippi State, Purdue and Indiana. Receiving interest from ND, Bama, Cincinnati, scUM, MSU, Nebraska, Tennessee, State Penn, Northwestern and Texas A&M. He has unofficially visited ND, pOSU, Indiana, MSU and Purdue this summer. His older brother (Roderick Smith) currently plays for pOSU. Also Jaylon attends Bishop Luers, who produced Blake Luerders (4* LB) a one time ND verbal commit who signed his LOI to Stanford after the firing of Charlie.

zimmsbg78
08-03-2011, 10:21 AM
http://247sports.com/Article/AWP-makes-an-impact-in-Fort-Wayne-32992 (free)

One of the top prospects currently working out at the AWP facility is class of 2013 outside linebacker/defensive end Jaylon Smith, who currently holds scholarship offers from Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue and Mississippi State. Smith’s older brother Rod worked out at AWP when he was in the 10th grade. Now he’s a running back for the Buckeyes.

“It’s been an honor to do this,” the younger Smith said. He’s been with the program for a year and a half. “Without this, my head wouldn’t be as straight as it is now. Just striving for my goals, they’re pushing me, training, when I want to stop they keep me pushing. Everything I’ve had to do to get where I’m at right now.”

AWP Recruiting Nuggets

-Smith keeps in the most contact with Ohio State, Indiana and Purdue. The Buckeyes may be tough to beat, but the Bishop Luers standout says he’s open to any school.

“I’m just trying to get as many offers as I can, keep my GPA up and do well in school and keep everything nice so I don’t have to worry about anything.”

The 6-foot-3, 212-pound Smith has visited the Ohio State campus several times, including for a recent camp. He had the opportunity to sit down and talk with Coach Luke Fickell.

“I got to talk to him and see how he’s doing,” Smith said. “He was asking me how my grades were and how I was going to be a leader on the field. It was a couple days after he got the head coach position. After that, I was amazed about a linebacker being the head coach of Ohio State and he offered, and I was pretty happy.”

Smith’s latest trip to Columbus allowed him to learn something new about the program.

“Just how compassionate they were,” he said. “They work hard. I got to watch some of their film and see what their film is like. That was a nice opportunity.”

Smith said he also keeps in regular touch with Indiana and Purdue. He recently talked with Tennessee, and was excited about a letter he received from Penn State. There’s another Big Ten program he’s high on early in the process.

“I like Nebraska,” Smith stated. “I love their defense and just how passionate they are, and they bring out a lot of defensive ends, and they’re flat out raw. I love the way they do things down there. I don’t know too much about them but just watching them is great.”

As a sophomore, Smith had 11.5 sacks and two interceptions, while also rushing for 634 yards and eight touchdowns. He won linebacker MVP honors at the Ohio State Nike NFTC.

zimmsbg78
08-03-2011, 10:24 AM
http://www.wane.com/dpp/sports/high_school/wane-hsfootball-luers-practice-august1

With nine state titles in program history the Knights hit the practice field for the first time this fall with one goal in mind - win number ten.

The Knights won their second-straight 2A state title last year, their eighth under coach Matt Lindsay. Lindsay is entering his 25th season as the Knights' head coach.

Luers must replace All-SAC players like Kenny Mullen, Quyuan Mattox, and Steve Kiermaier. However, they have plenty of talent back for 2011.

Quarterback James Knapke is entering his third season as the starter. Knapke is one of the state's winningest quarterbacks and has verbally committed to play college ball at Bowling Green.

Knapke will be handing off to up-and-coming standout Jaylon Smith. The younger brother of Ohio State redshirt freshman Roderick Smith, Jaylon is considered by many recruiting websites as one of the best juniors in the Midwest. Smith has offers from Ohio State, Mississippi State, Indiana, and Purdue. He has also drawn major interest from Notre Dame and Tennessee.

The Knights open the 2011 season on August 19 at home against Snider.

zimmsbg78
08-15-2011, 10:05 AM
http://www.wane.com/dpp/sports/high_school/wane-hsfootball-scrimmage-games-august12 (free video)

High school football fans got a sneak preview of what they'll see in 2011 as most teams in Northeast Indiana held scrimmage games on Friday night.

While no scores were kept, the games give coaches a chance to evaluate players and fine tune their schemes before the regular season kicks off next Friday.

At Bishop D'Arcy Stadium it was a battle of the Bishops. Luers, coming off a 2A state title, took on rival Dwenger, who is coming off a 4A state runner-up performance.

The Knights' defense swarmed early during Dwenger's first 15 plays. Jordan Starks and Jaylon Smith combined on a sack. The Luers offense also looked good on their first 15 plays as James Knapke hit Michael Rogers for a 50-yard touchdown. Knapke, a senior, verbally committed to Bowling Green over the summer.

In red zone situations Dwenger's new starting quarterback Dalton Wheeler looked solid, rushing for a score and hitting receiver Trevor Ecclestone for another.

Luers hosts Snider next Friday while Dwenger travels to South Side.

Purebred Irishman
08-15-2011, 12:37 PM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/5252-recruiting-week-in-review

Jaylon Smith, LB, 6-3, 215, Bishop Luers High School, Fort Wayne, IN figures to be one of the top players in the state of Indiana’s 2013 recruiting class. He has already received a number of scholarship offers from top programs, including Ohio State where his brother Rod is a running back. Smith also believes that at least two other schools are close to offering.

“I think Tennessee and Notre Dame might offer soon,” predicted Smith. “I really like both schools and I have a lot of interest in them. It’s cool because Notre Dame is just down the road, and Tennessee is in a power conference, the SEC.”

Smith plays defensive end for his high school team, but possesses the skill set to play outside linebacker at the next level, the position for which most schools are recruiting him.

“I think coaches like my versatility and how I can come off the edge, but also I can drop back and hang with the speedy backs and slot receivers,” he said. “I like playing on the line but I think I’m a better fit at linebacker in college. I don’t care where I play as long as I can help the team win ballgames.”

Since Smith attended a 7-on-7 tournament at Notre Dame in June, he has been in constant contact with Irish assistant coach Mike Elston.

“Coach Elston has been telling me that he likes my quickness off the edge,” related Smith. “He keeps telling me to keep doing well in school and not a whole lot of coaches say that to you. He also gave me some good tips to help with my stance when I’m playing linebacker.”

Smith professes a very strong interest in Notre Dame.

“I mean it’s Notre Dame,” said Smith. “If you go to Notre Dame you’re going to get a great education, great fans, great football, great people. I can honestly say there is a lot I like about Notre Dame and I can’t wait to hopefully check out a few games there soon.”

In addition to the Irish, Smith hopes to check out Purdue, Ohio State, Tennessee, Indiana and a few others. Despite the fact that his brother plays at Ohio State, the talented linebacker insists that does not give the Buckeyes an advantage.

“I watch Ohio State to see my brother play and when I look at them as a school, I act like my brother doesn’t play football there,” explained Smith. “I do like Ohio State but I also like a lot of other schools. In the end I’m going to pick the school that best fits me.”

For now, Smith plans to focus on his upcoming season. He hopes to better his sophomore numbers of 50 tackles, 12 sacks and one interception.

zimmsbg78
08-22-2011, 09:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN1e_2p6U-8&feature=player_embedded

zimmsbg78
08-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Tennessee has verbally offered.

wicket
08-23-2011, 01:06 PM
one of the initial 2013 five start on247

zimmsbg78
08-24-2011, 08:47 AM
http://247sports.com/Article/No-question-Smith-is-a-five-star-36688 (free)

The questions came flying out of his mouth almost as soon as Jaylon Smith could talk.

“He was always curious,” his mother Sophia Woodson said. “He always wanted to know about finances and what do you have to do to have a nice car. Just always asked about saving money. He was more interested in succeeding. He was interested in succeeding and to do what it takes to have nice things and be successful.”

“He did that from the jump,” his father Roger Smith added. “He asked things you wouldn’t expect a five or six-year old to ask questions about. Just things about life. ‘Dad, why did we need to save for this and prepare for this?’

The 6-foot-3, 212-pound Smith still has a lot of questions, especially for the many college recruiters. On Tuesday, the Fort Wayne (Ind.) Bishop Luers outside linebacker/running back prospect was one of eight juniors named by 247Sports as a five-star player in his class.

“Growing up I was interested in a lot of things and knowing things and asking a lot of questions,” Smith said. He already holds scholarship offers from Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue, Tennessee and Mississippi State. “I want to know everything about everything.”

Smith knows he wants to go into the medical field in some capacity, possibly as a veterinarian, and his parents believe his inquisitive mind has helped the honor student become a dominant football player.

“Being able to react to things and envision things that could happen and how it happens,” Roger said. “His focus, it definitely helped with his focus. He’s so focused on something. There is no stop in him or settling. I think that’s just the way he’s grown up.”

The big game

The picture from the local paper still hangs at Smith’s mother house where Jaylon and his older brother Rod, now a redshirt-freshman running back for Ohio State lived.

Jaylon was a freshman linebacker at state powerhouse Bishop Luers, and Rod was a senior running back and arguably the top player in the state for Harding High.

“I really wanted Rod to win,” Sophia laughed. “He was older. It was his last year. Jaylon, the younger brother, they had an article in the paper and in the picture Jaylon was tackling Rod. It was so cute. I still have that on the refridgerator . Rod isn’t too happy about that.”

Rod boasted all week about what he and his Harding teammates were going to do to Jaylon. The local news had stories running every day highlighting the two brothers. In the end, Jaylon forced a key fumble on Rod that helped Bishop Luers eek out a 14-8 victory.

“I stayed away from him all week,” Jaylon said. “He pushed me and he said a lot of stuff and I wanted to give him my all. That was probably my favorite game of my career in high school. Getting to play against my big brother and me show out, I was hype for that.”

In the end, Rod was happy for his brother too.

“We shook hands and he said he loved me and he said good job,” Jaylon said.

Jaylon had thought about joining Rod at Harding, but eventually pushed his parents to send him to the private school Luers, where he’d have less distractions and a more distinguished football program.

“We had to think about that,” Sophia said. “I knew it was a good school and I knew the athletic programs were one of the best in the city. He really wanted to go there because he was determined to get a football scholarship and he wanted to be in a good program. He didn’t want to get distracted. You know how kids can sometimes in public schools distract you. That was his reason for choosing Luers and me letting him go.”

Becoming a force

Smith blossomed as a football player last fall, racking up 11.5 sacks and two interceptions, while also rushing for 634 yards and eight scores. He’s helped his team win two consecutive 2-A state championships, and this summer he earned MVP honors for the linebacker position at the Ohio State Nike Football Training Camp.

Besides the programs that have already offered, Smith is drawing interest from many of the nation’s top programs coast to coast, and he remains completely open regarding the recruiting process. He talks to Rod about what to look for and expect, and he leans on his parents, but in the end Jaylon says he won’t be swayed by anyone.

“This decision is something that I’ll have to live with for the rest of my life, so I plan on choosing where I want to go,” he said.

Like much of the family, Smith’s father wouldn’t mind seeing Jaylon join Rod at Ohio State.

“Of course I would like for him to go to Ohio State just because we’re familiar with the program, but ultimately I want him to go where he wants to go,” Roger said. “We’re going to sit back and evaluate everything that comes at him. The same way we did with his brother, it’s going to be his decision and whatever he decides we’ll go with him. Of course we want him close. We don’t want him too far so we can get there and watch.”

Jaylon’s mother agrees that she doesn’t want her son to go far, but unlike most of the family, her Ohio State is not her personal leader.

“I want him to stay in Indiana,” Sophia said. “I have a pick. I can’t say but I do have a pick. But Jaylon knows that it’s his decision. I’m going to try my best to persuade him to do what I want, but it’s his life and his future. He’s always listened to mom before, and hopefully he does with this, but if not I can’t be mad at him. I want him to go where he wants.”

This fall, Smith wants to go to as many football games as possible. The only game he has on the calendar for sure is Ohio State’s season opener on Sept. 3 against Akron to watch his brother.

“I’m going to check out some Irish games,” Smith said. “I have heard nothing but good things about them and their academic level is very high. If you don’t make it to the pros or something like that, it’s all about getting that great education. I played in a 7-on-7 up there this summer and I saw their cathedral and how their buildings were, and I liked how holy they were.”

“IU and Purdue, I plan on going to check them out. My team’s bye week is the weekend of Sept. 10 and Tennessee plays Cincinnati that day. I’m going to try and get down there.”

Smith has no timetable for a college decision.

Already playing like a five-star

In his season opener last Friday, Smith helped lead Bishop Luers to a victory over 5-A rival Fort Wayne (Ind.) Snider, rushing for 218 yards and three touchdowns while adding three tackles for loss. He has big goals for himself and the season, and being named five stars is just the beginning.

“All the hard work I’ve been putting in, I’m glad it’s paying off,” Smith said. “I’m not stopping now and I’m trying to stay humble.

“I’m happy I’m in shape,” he continued. “That’s a good thing so I’m maintaining that and working on my weaknesses. As a team, I want to be a great leader and I want to lead my team back to state for a three-peat, and next year for a four-peat. That would be a nice accomplishment.”

No question about that.

ND/pOSU battle?? Mom/Dad battle??

wicket
08-24-2011, 01:08 PM
http://247sports.com/Article/No-question-Smith-is-a-five-star-36688 (free)

ND/pOSU battle?? Mom/Dad battle??

mom vs a dad and brother duo team

zimmsbg78
09-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Here we go with the 2013 recruiting cycle..................

Jaylon has received a verbal offer from ND

zimmsbg78
09-13-2011, 09:14 AM
MSU has verbally offered.

zimmsbg78
10-20-2011, 08:14 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/5739-elite-2013-linebacker-ready-for-nd-visit (free)

Jaylon Smith (Bishop Luers/ Ft. Wayne, Ind.) is one of the top prospects in next year's recruiting class and he's right in Notre Dame's back yard.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound linebacker has received offers from Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Tennessee, Mississippi State and Michigan State. He’s also receiving interest from Alabama, Michigan, Texas A&M and Cincinnati among others.

Smith camped at Notre Dame over the summer and he came away impressed with the Irish program.

"The campus is really nice and the people there seem great," he said. "The education you can get there is second to none, plus the athletics are second to none. It's a very prestigious school."

Living so close to South Bend has given Smith some knowledge of the program, and what it has to offer.

“I know it’s a very traditional school, and the people there are great,” he explained.”They’re a very holy school, and you get a great education on and off the field. I think the big thing is you’re surrounded by great people, and they’re gonna make sure you graduate.”

One of the main reasons the Indiana standout has high interest in Notre Dame, is the relationship he's built with defensive line coach Mike Elston.

"Coach Elston is cool," he said. "He tells me he likes my quickness of the edge and my ability to play the run straight up. He always makes sure he asks me how I'm doing with my grades, and he is encourages me to keep getting better."

Now the Ft. Wayne product will get to witness his first game inside Notre Dame stadium this weekend when the Irish host arch rival USC.

"I'm excited because this is the game I wanted to come see there," Smith Explained. "I think this is going to be an awesome game, and I guess it's the first night game there in over 20 years. This could be one of those classic games that people talk about for a long time."

Smith claims it's too early for any schools to be standing out, but he does know a few schools he is very interested in.

"I can't really say that any school is ahead of the another right now," he explained. "I'm very interested in all the schools that have offered me and I am open to other schools that might be offering me. I need to make sure I find what is best for me."

Smith, whose brother plays running back at Ohio State has been getting as much advice as he can from his brother about the recruiting process.

“He just tells me to watch who I talk with, and look out for fake people,” he said.

The Bishop Luers prospect says Ohio State has no advantage recruiting him because his brother plays there.

“No, not at all,” he said. “I’m going to do what is best for me, and find the school that fits what I want. I know my mom would like me to stay close to home, but once again I have to find what is best for myself.”

The coveted prospect is not sure when he'll make a decision, but knows it won't be anytime soon.

"I have no idea when I'll make a decision," he said. "I'm just going to roll with the punches and see where everything goes."

zimmsbg78
10-25-2011, 08:27 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/5790-smith-gets-up-close-look-at-nd (free)

Notre Dame hosted some of its top prospects in the Class of 2012 over the weekend for the first night game at Notre Dame Stadium in over two decades. The Irish coaching staff is looking to finish strongly on what is already a stellar 2012 class; but the staff is also trying to get a head start on building relationships with the top prospects in the Class of 2013.

One of the top prospects Notre Dame hosted was Jaylon Smith of Bishop Luers High School in Ft. Wayne, Ind.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound linebacker has received offers from Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Tennessee, Mississippi State and Michigan State. He’s also receiving interest from Alabama, Michigan, Texas A&M and Cincinnati among others.

Smith performed extremely well at Notre Dame’s one-day camp in June and the coaching staff came through with an offer a couple of months later. He also enjoyed touring the campus and made it a priority to get to South Bend for a game.

“I was excited when they offered because it’s a really holy offer and it’s a top notch school all around,” he explained.

The Indiana product enjoyed the gameday atmosphere at Notre Dame.

“Even though I live close to Notre Dame, I didn’t really know a lot about them; but I can see why people really like the school,” he said. “The fans are really supportive and knowledgeable about their football and you can see that. I really like the passion of everyone involved with Notre Dame; you can tell it’s important to them.”

Brian Kelly spoke with the Bishop Luers’ standout and a select group of 2013 prospects before kickoff on Saturday night. The message Kelly had was well received by Smith.

“He was telling us to make sure that we always keep getting better and make sure we never settle for less than greatness,” he described. “He told me that I could be an impact player and help them on defense because he is looking for players to build the program his way.”

While taking in the game, Smith saw that he could be a very good fit in Bob Diaco’s 3-4 defense.

“I believe they want me as an outside linebacker who can occasionally put his hand down and rush the passer,” he stated. “I think I could definitely help them get a pass rush because it seems like they need help generating a consistent rush to the quarterback.”

The one thing that stands out to the Midwestern defender is how he could fit at Notre Dame both on and off the field.

“If football doesn’t work out, you will get a great education and a degree from there can help you get a job right out of college and that is important,” he explained. “When you play at Notre Dame, you get to play in front of sell out crowds and on national television every week so you’re always on the big stage.”

Smith is hoping to take a visit to Ohio State this coming weekend when the Buckeyes host Wisconsin. One of the reasons he is attending is not only his interest in Ohio State, but his older brother Rod is a redshirt sophomore running back for the Buckeyes. While many believe that could be an advantage for the Buckeyes, Smith is adamant in saying that isn’t true.

“I like Ohio State, but I’m going to do what is best for me,” he explained. “My mom actually really likes Notre Dame and I think she wants me close to home; but just like with my brother, that doesn’t mean they have an advantage. I have to find the best school for me.”

The visit definitely helped the Irish with Smith, but he is nowhere near trimming his list or making a decision.

“I really like Notre Dame a lot, but I have to check out all of my options and see where I belong,” said Smith. “Notre Dame will be a school I consider heavily.”

zimmsbg78
11-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Jaylon unofficially visited the pOSU/Wisconsin game this past weekend. Said it was a great visit and had a great time.

zimmsbg78
11-18-2011, 08:58 AM
New junior year highlights............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4T_9a7X6ZE&feature=player_detailpage

zimmsbg78
01-17-2012, 08:15 AM
scUM and Iowa verbally offered.

zimmsbg78
02-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Jaylon has added verbal offers from Florida and Minnesota.

Dayton_Domer
02-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Arrived at @AWPSPORTS to find five star OLB Jaylon Smith decked out in a Notre Dame hoodie and Irish cap.

IrishinTN
02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
From everything they've been saying about this kid being an OSU kid, this would be an early surprising coup. Of course, it is early....still nice to see. This would be an great replacement in an area of dire need.

zimmsbg78
02-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Texas A&M has verbally offered.

NDgrandson
02-15-2012, 02:23 AM
I guess it's my time to look at needs for 2013 recruiting and figure out those kids that are special at positions of need for us. I think Jaylon Smith is one of those guys. His gf got him ND gear for Valentine's Day today. I like her.

JaeeSmiff9ENT Jaylon Smith
She got me a #Notredame #snapback,,,
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

IrishinTN
02-15-2012, 08:30 AM
I guess it's my time to look at needs for 2013 recruiting and figure out those kids that are special at positions of need for us. I think Jaylon Smith is one of those guys. His gf got him ND gear for Valentine's Day today. I like her.

This kid has often been seen sporting ND gear and now his GF gets him more? I know everyone says it s a pOSU kid, but I am starting to really like our chances here.

SouthernIrish
02-15-2012, 08:35 AM
awwwwweeeesome.

zimmsbg78
02-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Big verball offer for Jaylon. Bama verbally offered.

IrishCrasher
02-16-2012, 12:46 PM
As long as his GF doesn't start bringing home Bama gear, I still like our chances.

zimmsbg78
02-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Jaylon has added verbal offers from U$C, OU and Illinios.

robdog_5
02-20-2012, 03:50 PM
ran a 4.44 today at a combine. Big-time speed. Momentum seems to be building for ND latley as some people feel he is not the lock for OSU everyone thought.

zimmsbg78
02-22-2012, 09:02 AM
FSU has verbally offered. Jaylon is planning to unofficially visit ND for the first junior day on March 3rd.

NDisNCin2010
02-22-2012, 11:02 PM
really want and feel we really need this guy (position of need, local 5* type kid etc)

a must get

zimmsbg78
02-28-2012, 08:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4mSQgWTy38&feature=player_detailpage

NDgrandson
02-28-2012, 11:56 AM
really want and feel we really need this guy (position of need, local 5* type kid etc)

a must get

Asuming a 3 - 4 defensive base, Jaylon would be a dog (drop) outside linebacker for sure. He looks like a damn good one. But of all the positions of need we have, the dog is not one IMO. It's the inside LB positions we need to fill.

Purebred Irishman
03-06-2012, 05:49 AM
Junior Day focuses on four top prospects | Inside the Irish (http://irish.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/junior-day-focuses-on-four-top-prospects/)

JAYLON SMITH – Linebacker

The recruiting weekend got off to an inauspicious start when All-American tight end Tyler Eifert publicly tweeted that he was looking forward to hanging with fellow Fort Wayne native Smith this weekend. As noted by the Chicago Tribune’s Brian Hamilton, the public mention might have run afoul with NCAA rules, though it’s far from a major issue and Eifert’s tweet was deleted, ending any issue and pulling him within 2,348 secondary recruiting violations of many college head coaches.

While the Twitter update won’t be coming anytime soon, Smith did have a chance to spend time with Eifert and also was partnered with another one of the Irish’s big fish, All-American linebacker Manti Te’o. Like Te’o was four years ago, Smith is likely the top target for the Irish at linebacker, where Smith could fit in at multiple positions, with his size and athleticism and pass rush skills.

You’d almost expect Smith to be ready to commit to Ohio State with his brother already playing for Urban Meyer, but from the sound of it, Smith is legitimately looking to spread his wings and make his own mark. That might be very good news for the Irish, who have done quite well in their early pursuit of the explosive athlete.

“The thing with Notre Dame is that all the people there are really genuine, and you can tell it’s a special place,” Smith told IrishSportsDaily.com. “The players have a special bond with each other and I thought that was really cool. I got to hang out with Manti and Tyler Eifert. Both of them are great guys, Manti and I connected. I could see myself playing next to him. He’s a very humble person and we definitely formed a bond.”

If you’re looking for good news, it’s that Smith is looking to make it back to South Bend for the Blue-Gold game, set for April 21.

NDgrandson
03-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Nice write up. All sounds good. Too bad Manti wont be back for a 5th to make lining up next to him a possibility. Correct me if I am wrong, but Smith only projects at OLB... right?

a1ND
03-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Nice write up. All sounds good. Too bad Manti wont be back for a 5th to make lining up next to him a possibility. Correct me if I am wrong, but Smith only projects at OLB... right?

i personally think he could line up at any of the 4 LB positions w/ ease but i think he is best suited to play DOG OLB because of his ability to drop and rush the passer

NDgrandson
03-06-2012, 12:09 PM
i personally think he could line up at any of the 4 LB positions w/ ease but i think he is best suited to play DOG OLB because of his ability to drop and rush the passer

I agree. I could see him intercepting quite a few passes at the DOG. He's tall, strong and quick.

zimmsbg78
03-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Jaylon has added verbal offers from Auburn, UGA and UNC.

zimmsbg78
04-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Surprise unofficial visit today by Jaylon................

JMR8
04-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Nice...His pass coverage for a LB is phenomenal. Wouldn't mind watching this dude play every Saturday for 3-4 years!

NDgrandson
04-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Yeah. And with Niklas leaving the dog OLB, it's essentially Spond and Counsell in front of him. With Counsell being 2 years ahead (1 in eligibility). We're not so deep as we were before. iShaq is settling into cat so... by all means, get this freak athlete! He is prototype dogOLB.

IrishinTN
04-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Had a quote that said, "I know Manti won't be there when I'm there, but it's guys like that I want to be around."

wernd50
04-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Rocked the ND hat today in ann arbor (is a who're)

step30044
04-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Midwest's best comes out for Adidas Invitational - CBSSports (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-recruiting/18382326/midwests-best-comes-out-for-adidas-invitational)

No player looked better from check in to the final whistle than Ft. Wayne (Ind.) linebacker Jaylon Smith. The most impressive player on the defensive side of the ball all day, the top recruit more than lived up to his billing as a playmaker by dominating one-on-ones against running backs and looking like a safety picking off passes against wide receivers.

"It's a nice challenge to get out here and compete," Smith said.

With offers from Alabama, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State and USC among a coast-to-coast list of powerhouses, Smith has been focusing less on recruiting and more on training so far this spring. Things are picking up slightly with spring ball staring up, which has allowed the talented linebacker to take in a little more of programs than he has in the past.

"Everything is going good, it's flowing and I'm just really relaxing," he said. "I'm getting out to see some schools and training everyday trying to get back into shape."

Smith showed up to camp in a Notre Dame hat and had St. Paul (Minn.) wide receiver and Irish commitment James Onwualu expanding on all of the positives that would come with a commitment to the school. While Smith has visited South Bend several times already and most consider the program his leader, he insisted the attire didn't mean anything.

"I have a hat for every offer I have," said Smith. "I think it's 21 right now if I'm not mistaken. It's just a nice experience to have this opportunity at picking a school to go to. Notre Dame, they're a pretty good school right now and close to home."

Distance from home is always an issue with players and their families and it appears it will be one for Smith unless the comfort factor at a school is too much to overcome it.

"It is a bit of a factor," Smith said. "Everybody would like to stay home but I'm just going to go where it best fits me. If that means taking a visit to Florida and committing there, I'd do that. It really depends on what I feel in my heart."

The 6-foot-3, 200-pounder is still sorting out who and when he is going to visit colleges over the next couple of weeks but has to work around the camp circuit while doing so.

"The 21st I was going to go to my brother's game at Ohio State or Notre Dame's game," Smith said. "I won't be attending those two because our (7-on-7 travel team) will be down in Pittsburgh for a tournament. No others that I'm sure of. I know I'll go to the (Indiana) spring game next week and be there."

Smith did return from Ohio State recently and was impressed with what the Buckeyes showed him. One thing that the Buckeyes can offer that nobody else can is the chance to play with his brother, Rod Smith, but that will not be a huge factor in where Jaylon decides to go.

"It was a good visit, there was a very nice intensity there," he added. "I could tell that Urban (Meyer) is really getting ready to change things there. (My brother) tells me what he sees and why he chose to go to Ohio State and things like that. But he's really just being a brother."

Having a family member that has gone through the process has proved invaluable for Smith when dealing with the coaches that call every week.

"It's good that he went through the experience because now that I'm going through it's not new to our family," Smith said. "We know how to approach it and know who's lying and who's telling you what you want to hear.

"I just want to take football out of the situation and figure out what is best for me. I want to set myself up for life because there's going to be a day where football is going to be over. I have to put myself in the best position because of that."

An August decision appears to be in the cards for the 2013 linebacker as Smith wants to focus on his senior season and his high school team's quest for a fourth straight state championship.

zimmsbg78
04-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Jaylon Smith step out of the shadows - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7791846/jaylon-smith-step-shadows)

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- As he made his way home from a celebratory meal following the biggest win of his career at the time, Jaylon Smith could not wait to see his brother. He was the person he wanted to talk to most.

Rod was nowhere to be found, though. He had not come home. There was just no way he was going to let little brother, Jaylon, a freshman, rub Fort Wayne (Ind.) Bishop Luers' 14-8 win over heated rival Paul Harding in his face. Jaylon played linebacker as the Luers defense bottled up the Harding offense and star senior running back Rod.

"I was going to jump on him, talk some trash," Jaylon Smith said laughing.

There were plenty of Big Brother-Little Brother moments in that game, too, in which Rod got the best of Jaylon. Significantly smaller than his current 6-foot-3, 215-pound frame as a freshman, an injury forced Jaylon to move to fullback in that game and block his 6-3, 230-pound brother as he crashed the line of scrimmage from his safety position. Rod showed no sympathy for his brother.

"He just threw me on the ground and said 'Get your (blank) up,'" said Jaylon, leaving out his brother's expletive from that not so brotherly exchange.

But despite the win and starting at Indiana power Bishop Luers as a freshman, Jalen was still squarely in Rod's shadow, who was a four-star running back ranked No. 56 in the Class of 2010 ESPNU 150 and now plays at Ohio State.

"He was looked at as Rod Smith's younger brother," said Mike Ledo, president of AWP Sports Performance where Jaylon trains.

It was not until this past season as a junior did Jaylon, an ESPNU Watch List prospect and one of the country's most sought-after linebackers, felt like he emerged from Rod's lengthy shadow.

There was a specific moment too when he knew it. That was when Jaylon picked up offer No. 8, which exceeded the number of offers his brother had. Smith now has more than 20 offers from programs such as Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State and USC.

"It showed I can be as good as him," Smith said before he paused and reconsidered his comments. "It showed I can be better, too."

He still leans on Rod for advice when it comes to recruiting, though. Having witnessed the process up close a few years ago, Jaylon knows what to look for in a school and what to look for in a coach.

"It's an advantage for me because our family has been through the whole recruiting process," Smith said. "We know who's talking crap, who's not telling the truth, who's just talking to get you there."

And Smith passes that on to his teammates at Luers and AWP Sports. Ledo first talks about Smith's character and willingness to help those around him before he talks about his 4.4 speed or his edge rush or any of the other numerous qualities that make Smith one of the country's best.

There is not much reason for Smith to attend combines or camps at this point. Colleges are already drooling over him. His presence gives others -- coaches, media, scouts -- a chance to see his teammates and allow them to receive the attention they need to reach the level he is at.

"Now it's really just about helping my fellow teammates get exposure if I'm there," Smith said. "I'm just having fun. I'm getting ready for my senior year, and then it's off to college and being the little guy."

Just like the old "little brother" tag, though, it won't take long for Smith to rid himself of that label, too.

ChicagoIrish
04-20-2012, 09:56 AM
There was a pretty encouraging twitter exchange last night among Jaylon Smith, Manti Te'o and Skylar Diggins. Devin Butler was laughing, saying he was jealous that Diggins didn't tweet to him yet and he's committed.

Jaylon Smith ‏ @JaeeSmiff9ENT
Rolltide, buckeyes, irish, trojans, i digg em all,

Skylar Diggins ‏ @SkyDigg4
Irish. Easy.

Manti Te'o ‏ @MTeo_5
you already know where u wanna be.

Skylar Diggins
I tried to tell him.

Manti Te'o
he knows sky. Too bad you and I won't be here with him but he knows.

zimmsbg78
04-24-2012, 11:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqct_QSs3hs&feature=player_embedded

DublinIrish
04-24-2012, 11:45 AM
fav player Mike Vrabel? :/

NDgrandson
04-24-2012, 11:48 AM
I love the end of the interview where he says his celebrity prom date would be Skylar Diggins! C'mon Skylar, take one for the team ; )

DirtySecret
04-24-2012, 01:55 PM
I love the end of the interview where he says his celebrity prom date would be Skylar Diggins! C'mon Skylar, take one for the team ; )

Someone who is on Skylar twitter page needs to pause and copy that part and tweet to her page.. Just wondering she could get in terrible for being his prom date, can't she?

DublinIrish
04-24-2012, 02:05 PM
im sure Daniel Smith would love that :/

NDgrandson
04-24-2012, 02:10 PM
im sure Daniel Smith would love that :/

I wasn't aware they were dating until I saw one twit pic of hers with them on the steps. Hmmm. Damn, he has to be one highly envied dude. Good for him!

NDgrandson
04-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Someone who is on Skylar twitter page needs to pause and copy that part and tweet to her page.. Just wondering she could get in terrible for being his prom date, can't she?

I don't think SHE can get in trouble. Maybe the school... but I don't know. Not sure there is precident for that. In any event. I did what you suggested. Sorry Daniel Smith. We need Jaylon more than you. Ouch! Just kidding. No I'm not. Sorry anyways.

Tim Rios ‏ @NDgrandson
@SkyDigg4 - I am sure you saw this, but just in case. See the end of the interview. Jaylon Smith Highlights - Full Ride Stud of the Week Interview - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqct_QSs3hs&feature=player_embedded) @JaeeSmiff9ENT

DirtySecret
04-24-2012, 02:56 PM
I don't think SHE can get in trouble. Maybe the school... but I don't know. Not sure there is precident for that. In any event. I did what you suggested. Sorry Daniel Smith. We need Jaylon more than you. Ouch! Just kidding. No I'm not. Sorry anyways.

Who cares!! We got plenty of wideouts to replace him.. :rofl:

southbend62
04-24-2012, 03:15 PM
I love me some Daniel Smith and if he is smooth enough to get a big 'ol helping of Skylar...then y'all need to back off.

NDgrandson
04-24-2012, 08:24 PM
I love me some Daniel Smith and if he is smooth enough to get a big 'ol helping of Skylar...then y'all need to back off.

I like the way you put that. "big'ol helping of Skylar." That sounds good. I'll have that, too.

DirtySecret
04-24-2012, 08:57 PM
I like the way you put that. "big'ol helping of Skylar." That sounds good. I'll have that, too.

:rofl:

domehead1
04-24-2012, 10:16 PM

Far away high five.

JMR8
05-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Shhweet!!!

Domer Dog
05-11-2012, 01:39 PM
This is a good sign. He has certainly been around enough. Hope it's to pull the trigger.

irishunclebill
05-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Tyler James ‏ @TJamesISR
'13 LB Jaylon Smith. RT @JaeeSmiff9ENT: Visiting #NotreDame tomorrr, my dad hasnt seen it yet, He has already been to OhioState~~~~
8:57 PM - 11 May 12

^

step30044
05-12-2012, 11:30 AM
IUB what are the chances he commits this weekend??

DublinIrish
05-12-2012, 01:00 PM
some unconfirmed rumours on other boards that he may have committed.

wicket
05-12-2012, 02:21 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wsRJINp2Dpc/TSJqPCAUNyI/AAAAAAAAAIU/lubrDQ0D6ko/s1600/Patient_Bear_by_Nastyguy.jpg

step30044
05-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Any updates on the visit??

IrishinTN
05-14-2012, 12:59 PM
He enjoyed it and let his father get a glimpse of things. By all accounts ND is way ahead on this one.

step30044
05-14-2012, 01:19 PM
He enjoyed it and let his father get a glimpse of things. By all accounts ND is way ahead on this one.

Thanks for the update.........We really need this kid!!

NDisNCin2010
05-14-2012, 03:38 PM
need jaylon to be ND (sooner the better for the class)

Sweeney6083
05-14-2012, 05:46 PM
I can confirm that I have not heard about a commitment

zimmsbg78
05-15-2012, 11:54 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/7011-recruiting-week-in-review (free)

Jaylon Smith, LB, 6-3, 215, Bishop Luers High School, Fort Wayne, IN is that rare recruit that the Notre Dame coaching staff doesn’t need to travel long distances to see. Conversely, Smith doesn’t need to travel far to see Notre Dame, which he did last weekend for the third time in just over two months. The five-star recruit has the Irish high on his list and has taken full advantage of proximity to develop a strong relationship with the Notre Dame coaching staff and players.

“I’ll be heading over there Saturday, I’m just looking to keep building that relationship,” explained Smith. “It’ll be a good chance to talk with the coaches again and hang out with some of the guys. I always enjoy my visits to Notre Dame, so it should be a lot of fun.”

Despite offers from prestigious programs such as Alabama, Ohio State, Auburn, Georgia, Michigan, USC and others Smith still has Notre Dame at or near the top of his list. His relationship with the players and coaches has played a big role in Notre Dame’s lofty position.

“All of them are good people,” Smith stated. “The people at Notre Dame are truly what makes it a special place. The coaches have been great throughout my recruitment; I definitely can trust them. They players are great guys that take hard work seriously and strive to achieve excellence every day.”

While Notre Dame fans clearly would love to see Smith end his recruitment with a commitment to Notre Dame, the Indiana star isn’t quite ready to do that just yet.

“I guess whenever it feels right, but I’m still not sure when,” said Smith of his making a verbal commitment somewhere. “I’m aiming for before next season, probably sometime in August, but we’ll see how things go.”

HoffVir
05-16-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm guessing this tweet is about Jaylon, so here it is

Jason Sapp ‏ @BGI_JasonSapp
Five-star target set for return trip to #NotreDame (VIP) http://bit.ly/Ldc1xo #Irish
9:39 PM - 16 May 12

mlcspinner
05-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Steve Wiltfong ‏@SWiltfong247
The nation's top OLB Jaylon Smith confirms Oregon has offered.

Svoboda
05-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Oregon can offer him all they want... I think he's officially Irish on the 14th.

ChicagoIrish
05-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Jaylon's sudden interest in USC is making me nervous. He went from having a top 2 (ND and OSU) to having a top 3.

IrishDodger
05-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Jaylon's sudden interest in USC is making me nervous. He went from having a top 2 (ND and OSU) to having a top 3.

While they're killing it on the recruiting trail right now, I still think they underachieve this season. If Kiffen proves me wrong, I'll begrudginly tip my hat to him, but they are one of the favorites to win it all & they don't play in the SEC West. Oregon should be their biggest hurdle (as it looks today) & I think ND gives them all they want...maybe even an upset...I'm not conceding this game yet.

NOTE: and ask my friends on this board...I'm far from a Pollyanna

JDriveSthND
05-22-2012, 11:00 AM

Don't get nervous, Smith and Anzalone are visiting together in June and I think we come away with both after that visit. If the staff can get some DL to campus for that visit as well, we may well come away nearly filling our front 7 needs in the class.

I see us taking 3 LB and 3 DL in this class. That would take us to 18. Then a RB, another WR, and a couple ATH would round out the 22 I anticipate us getting.

One thing I really like about this class so far is they all seem like clear cut ND guys. We're not hearing a whole bunch of chatter about visiting other schools or being soft verbals. I'm confident we're going to land everyone currently on board. I know I didn't feel that we about either of the last two classes.

en dee seattle
05-22-2012, 01:07 PM
is there a concensus for the max class size that we can take in 2013?

IrishinTN
05-22-2012, 01:12 PM
An article on 247 said 22. Could even be 23 if they decide a transfer is a foregone conclusion. Not that they know who the transfer is, just figure it into the planning since transfers happen.

marv81s
05-23-2012, 11:12 PM
"I would not choose a college off of how many girls they have in the area! I hate when coaches mention tht type of stuff~ immediate turnoff."

Jaylon Smiths twitter

i just can't imagine who would use that pitch, hmmm

NDGirlzRock
05-23-2012, 11:48 PM

Kiffey to the rescue on that one!!!

irishnd31
05-24-2012, 09:20 AM

LOL. That plays right into our wheelhouse.

en dee seattle
05-24-2012, 01:15 PM
i too think that it is a kiffy saying. but ND does have an all girls' school with 1500 students right across the street.

NotreDameNate
05-24-2012, 01:16 PM
That reeks of Kiffin, I so hope it was him as well.

NDGirlzRock
05-24-2012, 01:30 PM
They also have women on campus at ND if memory serves, so that shouldn't matter! It's just a BS ploy!

HoffVir
05-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Top-10 performers from this weekend's Michigan Elite/IMG 7-on-7 regional led by Laquon Treadwell & Jaylon Smith. http://bit.ly/K0f9f6
2:58 PM - 27 May 12

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/185/514/7_514185.jpg
Five-star OLB Jaylon Smith continues to go about his business on the 7-on-7 circuit.

2. Jaylon Smith: After dominating the last few events he’s participated at, the memo is out for teams to stay away from the nation’s top outside linebacker and No. 6 prospect overall. Out of Fort Wayne (Ind.) Bishop Luers, the 6-foot-3, 218-pound mostly covered the slot, however the football generally went to the opposite side of the field he was on. In helping lead his AWP (Athletes With Purpose) squad to the tournament championship, Smith often used his 4.4 speed to get to other side of the field and be a factor in the play. When the ball did come his way, the long-armed playmaker usually swatted down the pass and on another occasion ran an interception back for six points. Smith's hips and footwork are just flat out special, and heading into the summer, he currently favors Notre Dame, Ohio State and USC.

http://247sports.com/Article/Michigan-EliteIMG-7-on-7-Top-10-75173

Svoboda
05-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Absolutely a must get for this recruiting class.

Katzenboyer
05-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Absolutely a must get for this recruiting class.

Yup. Absolutely cannot lose him. He needs to be the centerpiece of the class.

Svoboda
05-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Yup. Absolutely cannot lose him. He needs to be the centerpiece of the class.
Yeah, would be a gigantic kick in the nuts to lose him to USC of all places. Notre Dame rarely can claim they have a 5-star kid in their backyard. I'm hoping OSU and USC are simply for theatrics knowing how much hate there is towards USC and Urban Meyer by ND Nation.

HoffVir
05-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike
beast @tcrazy11: @rivalsmike Jaylon Smith at 4 impressive
11:08 AM - 29 May 12

New Rivals Rankings http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3053

Svoboda
05-29-2012, 03:12 PM
beast @tcrazy11: @rivalsmike Jaylon Smith at 4 impressive
11:08 AM - 29 May 12

New Rivals Rankings http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3053

Now the #4 prospect overall on Rivals earning his fifth star after dominating at the events he attended. Would be major if we could get him to end his recruitment when he visits. Seal up Double A that day too please.

Svoboda
05-29-2012, 03:12 PM
That reeks of Kiffin, I so hope it was him as well.
Without a doubt.

HoffVir
05-29-2012, 08:02 PM
I could be wrong but I feel #NotreDame has edge @pj844: @rivalsmike chances Jaylon Smith becomes a Buckeye?
7:51 PM - 29 May 12

LOVEMYIRISH
05-29-2012, 11:36 PM
I know others have stated it before, but DAMN we need this kid. We need to show we can continue to recruit Defensive studs. It doesn't hurt that he seems like a great kid who would do well here. hehe

Blue 44
05-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Actually there have been two in the past couple of cycles. And Indiana has produced quite a bit of talent that has been good to Notre Dame. There is alot of talent per capita in state.

IrishGrizz
05-30-2012, 01:38 PM
I agree he would/will be a great recruit for ND to get, but the hyperbole surrounding hm saying he would be the biggest recruit for ND in the last ten years?

Did they forget about Aaron Lynch? didn't they say the same about Manti Te'o, too?

Svoboda
05-30-2012, 01:50 PM
I agree he would/will be a great recruit for ND to get, but the hyperbole surrounding hm saying he would be the biggest recruit for ND in the last ten years?

Did they forget about Aaron Lynch? didn't they say the same about Manti Te'o, too?

Rankings wise... he may be. Te'o wasn't even the top LB prospect on Rivals. Wasn't in the top 10 if I remember correctly. Lynch, either. He was 3rd best DE, 28th national.

Katzenboyer
05-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Rankings wise... he may be. Te'o wasn't even the top LB prospect on Rivals. Wasn't in the top 10 if I remember correctly. Lynch, either. He was 3rd best DE, 28th national.

This. Jaylon Smith, if he stays where he is, would be the highest-rated defensive recruit ND has had since Rivals and Scout became big. Manti was #11 overall (I believe) and was behind Burfict and possibly one more LB.

Not minimizing Te'o's impact on the program, but getting Smith would be the biggest get in a long, long time. Getting him in June would be even bigger. Add in the fact that he's qualified and from Indiana...I mean, it doesn't get much bigger than that.

lowayne
05-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Jaylon is pretty much comparable to Manti. Manti's ratings:

Service Position Rank/Overall Rank
Rivals 2/12
Scout 1/6
ESPN 1/2
Athlon 1/3

Lynch was the #6 overall on 24/7.

Clausen was the #1 overall on Rivals and Scout, #8 on ESPN making him the biggest recruit since Powlus and not yet passed.

dajtrain
06-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Rumors are flying of a possible commit today

IrishGrizz
06-02-2012, 09:02 AM
DAJ- help a guy out when you say that - where are you hearing the rumors from? Another board? A mod or a poster? is the poster believable or reliable? Or was is from someone speculating?

I ask because I come here and have limited (actually none) access to other info or sites.

IrishK
06-02-2012, 09:46 AM
DAJ- help a guy out when you say that - where are you hearing the rumors from? Another board? A mod or a poster? is the poster believable or reliable? Or was is from someone speculating?

I ask because I come here and have limited (actually none) access to other info or sites.

It's being tweeted by several recruiting services that he will indeed commit
at today's 7 v 7 event.

marv81s
06-02-2012, 09:51 AM
He will be announcing his choice today, probably at the end of camp he is at today, around 5 p.m. Indiana time.

Dayton_Domer
06-02-2012, 10:12 AM
looks to be a good day!!!

Svoboda
06-02-2012, 10:13 AM
This is going to be either a huge get for the Irish or a monumental fail. I really admire the fact that he is helping out his sports performance org by announcing at their event. Should definitely help business for them and I'm hoping that is what Jaylon sees when he commits to Notre Dame -- that he can galvanize the recruiting class and help sway more elite prospects to South Bend.

dajtrain
06-02-2012, 10:14 AM

Sorry Grizz, just got up. As far as I know, it started out as a board/Twitter rumor. It got legs late last night where some of the services were reporting it strictly as a rumor. I know Pete Sampson from Rivals gave indication that it may happen. From there the rumors spread over Twitter where sources were trying to get the scoop.

It appears to be true... once I woke up I checked around and ISD and Rivals have both confirmed that he is set to decide today.

I'll be cautiously optimistic personally on two fronts... as far as I'm concerned unless the announcement date comes from the recruit himself, to me it's just a rumor. Second, even though all points seemingly lead to him joining the Fighting Irish... it's a recruit. You never know with recruits.

Either way, I'll be DJing a wedding at the time he supposedly is going to announce. The Bride and Groom are huge Penn State fans who know I'm a Notre Dame fan and actually got on me a little bit when we met because Penn State landed Adam Breneman. This would be an interesting tidbit to throw in there if Smith goes Irish

step30044
06-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Its started already reading comments on 247 from OSU fans that they pulled Jaylon's offer........ I hope that is a good sign for the IRISH

HoffVir
06-02-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm sure tOSU "pulled" it. ... ... ... NAHT!

Bob Wieneke ‏@bobwienekeisr
Jaylon Smith at today's camp. http://twitpic.com/9rzxka
https://twitpic.com/show/large/9rzxka
10:32 AM - 2 Jun 12

HoffVir
06-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Tyler James ‏@TJamesISR
How big would a Jaylon Smith commitment be? The defense's version of Gunner Kiel but 8 months before signing day.
10:52 AM - 2 Jun 12

step30044
06-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Tyler James ‏@TJamesISR
How big would a Jaylon Smith commitment be? The defense's version of Gunner Kiel but 8 months before signing day.
10:52 AM - 2 Jun 12

IMO there is no comparison...... Gunner was kind of a wild card with choosing Indiana, then LSU and at the last minute becoming Irish. Jaylon has been rock solid at all of the camps basically taking the 5th star. The impact that he will have on this class as a recruiter is crazy

HoffVir
06-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Jaylon Smith is bigger get, freakier @darealmikeallen: @rivalsmike hypothetically, who is a bigger get for ND: Smith or Teo?
11:17 AM - 2 Jun 12

isotopes
06-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Teo was a huge get. Terrific talent, character, everything you want to represent ND on an off the field. Jaylon seems to have a lot of those attributes, but also brings 8 mos of potentially swaying other big time commits to South Bend. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade a proven talent/character guy like Teo for a new high school phenom, but I think Jaylon could have just as big - or bigger - of an impact on ND football.

step30044
06-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Teo was a huge get. Terrific talent, character, everything you want to represent ND on an off the field. Jaylon seems to have a lot of those attributes, but also brings 8 mos of potentially swaying other big time commits to South Bend. Don't get me wrong, I would trade a proven talent/character guy like Teo for a new high school phenom, but I think Jaylon could have just as big - or bigger - of an impact on ND football.

Would you consider Jaylon the heir to Manti???? In terms of leadership and character moving forward??

dajtrain
06-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Te'o's commitment was huge, but he committed on signing day. Just like it was said before, Jaylon brings 8 months of positivity to the Irish program and recruiting class. Especially with his Twitter presence.. he, Zaire, and Onuwalu could be a force for peer recruiting.

Of course there's the drawback that Te'o committed on signing day and didn't really have a chance to decommit. Having Jaylon for 8 months could also mean that if the worst happened, not saying it would, but if he did commit and decommit down the line, it would hurt just as bad as it helps right around now

Synoptico
06-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Teo opened people's eyes to ND again, particularly on Defense. I think Teo committing has a huge impact on Smith

IrishGrizz
06-02-2012, 01:01 PM
It's being tweeted by several recruiting services that he will indeed commit
at today's 7 v 7 event.

Thanks, K. I have now seen others quote Sampson and others.

JDriveSthND
06-02-2012, 01:03 PM
I think Te'o was huge because he was the type of defensive recruit that we never landed at the time.

For Smith, landing him this early would be huge for this class and the program. He is an elite talent that, at least coming out of high school, might be even better than Te'o from what I've read. At all these camps and combines, he's blowing up some of the best OL in the class when they put him on the line, he's an absolute terror off the edge as on OLB, he's a run-stuffer at ILB, and apparently a lock-down corner against some of the best WR in this class when they line him up at CB. He literally can do it all - at an elite level.

Now as far as what it will mean for this class,
In the immediate:
1. Isaac Rochell is visiting this weekend. He loves ND and we are his favorite. A Smith commitment could very well lead to a Rochell commitment today or tomorrow.
2. Alex Anzalone is visiting 6/14 and Smith will be there along with Zaire, Heuerman and Onwualu. It's a good possibility that we'll get Anzalone's commitment that weekend.
Long term:
Smith will be the head-liner that will continue to remind the top prospects left on our board that the best of the best do still come to Notre Dame.

This will be a huge get - possibly the biggest of the Kelly era. And it is critical that we're keeping him in-state. In the rare cases that elite prospects come out of Indiana, we have to land them. Getting Kiel last year and now Smith, if we do, will just be awesome.

tedwick
06-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Teo opened people's eyes to ND again, particularly on Defense. I think Teo committing has a huge impact on SmithAgreed. I think Smith has the potential to be better than even Teo, but we wouldn't be heavy favorites for Smith if we didn't have Teo.

Smith would be the next step in the Irish finally having a defense to crow about again. It's been since, what, TyWillie's first year since we could say that?

IrishinTN
06-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks, K. I have now seen others quote Sampson and others.

5:30 est is announcment time

ND from NE
06-02-2012, 02:54 PM
I think Te'o was huge because he was the type of defensive recruit that we never landed at the time.

And it is critical that we're keeping him in-state. In the rare cases that elite prospects come out of Indiana, we have to land them. Getting Kiel last year and now Smith, if we do, will just be awesome.

don't forget Sheldon Day

JDriveSthND
06-02-2012, 03:27 PM
don't forget Sheldon Day

Agreed. Sheldon was a huge pickup and is already in the two deep as a true freshman.

mlcspinner
06-02-2012, 03:41 PM
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg878/scaled.php?tn=0&server=878&filename=l4jmt.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

assistant Mike Elston working with five-star target Jaylon Smith at RAS event

HoffVir
06-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Five-Star OLB Jaylon Smith Makes The Call, Talks Notre Dame commitment. http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Jaylon-Smith-commits-to-Notre-Dame-75826 via @247Sports
5:37 PM - 2 Jun 12

mlcspinner
06-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Numa Numa !

HoffVir
06-02-2012, 05:47 PM
JC Shurburtt ‏@jcshurburtt
Jaylon Smith is a gigantic pick-up for #NotreDame- 6-3, 218, 4.4- but a GREAT football player/playmaker.
5:44 PM - 2 Jun 12

ND from NE
06-02-2012, 05:48 PM
a great pickup for ND .... welcome Jaylon :perfect10:

step30044
06-02-2012, 05:55 PM
NUMA NUMA!!

:banner-hcti::banner-wearend::sign-nd:

irishunclebill
06-02-2012, 06:00 PM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/7084-smith-says-irish

Smith Says Irish

Saturday, 02 June 2012 07:43
Trent Adams

Notre Dame has already put together a solid class with 12 commitments, but lucky number 13 is undoubtably the biggest catch yet.

On Saturday, the Irish picked up the verbal commitment of five-star outside linebacker Jaylon Smith of Bishop Luers High School in Fort Wayne, who made the announcement at the RAS Camp in Angola, Ind.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound prospect chose Notre Dame over offers from Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida State, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M and USC among others.

"It all boils down to finding the place you feel comfortable at," he said. "The thing that's always stood out about Notre Dame is the people and the standard of excellence. I think it's a school that is hard to match with everything it offers."

The way the coaching staff handled Smith's recruitment could ultimately be viewed as a tipping point.

"The coaches treated me with great respect and I appreciate the way they recruited me," he explained. "It's not just one coach in particular, I've built relationships with basically the entire coaching staff. Notre Dame also has a lot of great players and who want to play with and against best; that's what Notre Dame is all about."

Smith has been scheduled to make his fourth visit to Notre Dame in four months on June 14th. Many believed that could be the time when Smith finally chose to pull the trigger for the Irish, but he decided he didn't want to wait any longer.

While Notre Dame's offensive class is impressive in terms of quantity and quality, Smith adds some much-needed star power on the defensive side of the ball. Smith is just the fourth verbal commitment on defense, joining cornerbacks Devin Butler and Rashad Kinlaw along with defensive end Jacob Matuska.

The coaching staff will look to build on the momentum of Smith's commitment to put together another solid defensive class.

The Indiana native should have every opportunity to compete for early playing time with his ability to rush the passer and drop back into coverage. Smith brings the athleticism and intensity the Notre Dame coaches covet so much even if he doesn't fit the exact profile of an outside linebacker being recruited by the Irish.

As a junior, the future U.S. Army All-American total 51 tackles, 18 tackles for loss and eight sacks. On the offensive side of the ball, Smith rushed for 1,319 yards and 25 touchdowns, he also had four touchdown receptions.

JMR8
06-02-2012, 06:21 PM
nice lil bday present. glad to see what he said about ND. Gonna be fun to watch!

luckofirish8
06-02-2012, 06:26 PM
nice lil bday present. glad to see what he said about ND. Gonna be fun to watch!

I'm gonna count this as an early b-day present for myself. Mines next Sunday. So, that's close enough, right?

HoffVir
06-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Jaylon Smith ‏@JaeeSmiff9ENT
I havent been on twitter all day ! It feels good to be an Irish!~
7:54 PM - 2 Jun 12

(CaliHutch = Michael Hutchings)

@CaliHutch_17 set tht visit up bro its time to get real! Yu replacing Manti inside, With me Outside lets go!
8:31 PM - 2 Jun 12

“@CaliHutch_17: @JaeeSmiff9ENT alright alright I'm gone set it up son. I gotta schedule all my officials anyways”fasho
8:34 PM - 2 Jun 12

Dayton_Domer
06-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Way to go Jaylon!!!!

HoffVir
06-02-2012, 09:22 PM
June 2, 2012
Irish land five-star Smith
Jake Brown
IrishIllustrated.com Recruiting Analyst

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/961/1252331.jpg

ANGOLA, Ind. - A year ago Jaylon Smith started to emerge as arguably the most important recruit of the Brian Kelly era. Now the five-star linebacker might be the program's biggest commitment.

Not often does an elite defensive prospect pop up within a two-hour drive of campus. The Irish coaching staff identified Smith last summer and extended an offer at the beginning of his junior year.

Notre Dame hosted Smith last season during the USC weekend. Kelly attended one of Smith's basketball games at Bishop Luers. Smith visited the Irish each of the past three months and is slated to return on June 14. This time the five-star linebacker will be an Irish commitment.

Smith brought his recruitment to a close Saturday, pledging to Notre Dame during the R.A.S. Football Camp at Trine University outside his hometown of Fort Wayne. Smith chose the Irish over Ohio State and USC.

"Honestly, it was really just so close to home," Smith said about the factors that sold him on the Irish. "It's about an hour and 40 minutes away. Every athlete wants to stay close to their mother. That really played a big part. And just opportunity. I really don't have any fear of any athlete. I think I can play wherever I chose to ... I believe they have three starting linebackers leaving my incoming year. So it's just a great opportunity just to get this over with."

Irish Illustrated attended the event along with multiple college coaches, including Irish assistant Mike Elston.

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Purdue, Tennessee and Texas A&M were the other programs to offer.

Smith visited Notre Dame several times starting last summer during a 7-on-7 tournament. Most recently he returned with his father for one of a few spring visits to South Bend.

Back when Notre Dame offered, Smith had an idea of how hard they would make pursuit. Defensive line coach and Indiana recruiter Mike Elston drove the point home last fall.

"He said like other schools they were going to concentrate on me," Smith told IrishIllustrated.com in September. "They did their research and evaluated me and found out my academics were high and good. On the field and off the field everything was (good) so they gave me an offer."?

Rivals.com rates Smith the top outside linebacker in the country and No. 4 prospect overall in the latest Rivals100. Only defensive end Robert Nkemdiche, inside linebacker Reuben Foster and cornerback Kendall Fuller rate higher.

Notre Dame now counts 13 commitments total, Smith being its only five-star pledge.

Kelly has signed at least one five-star prospect in each of his full recruiting classes. Defensive end Stephon Tuitt and outside linebacker Ishaq Williams earned five stars in the Class of 2011 while quarterback Gunner Kiel had such accolades last recruiting cycle.

Smith ranks as the second-highest rated prospect to commit to Notre Dame during the Rivals.com era, dating back to the 2002 recruiting class. Only No. 1 overall prospect Jimmy Clausen rated above Smith.

<div><iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/rivals/site/player.html#vid=29539973"></iframe></div>

http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1371448

mlcspinner
06-02-2012, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LefrWf8Ei-A

NDGirlzRock
06-02-2012, 10:36 PM
NUMA NUMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

ND from NE
06-02-2012, 11:34 PM
he's a well spoken kid, looks very comfortable in answering the questions .... great get for ND and hope he brings "friends"

untitledproject
06-02-2012, 11:43 PM

that needs to stop.

LOVEMYIRISH
06-03-2012, 03:00 AM
HUGE GET!!!

I couldn't be happier about this. We really need to keep stocking up the D. Defense doesn't really WIN Championships, but you cannot get there without it.

Purebred Irishman
06-03-2012, 03:08 AM
Welcome to the ND family Jaylon !!!!

Purebred Irishman
06-03-2012, 03:18 AM
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20120603/SPORTS0302/306039930/1087

Published: June 3, 2012 3:00 a.m.
Star Luers linebacker Jaylon Smith picks Notre Dame
Luers star linebacker Jaylon Smith picks Notre Dame

Tony Krausz | The Journal Gazette
ANGOLA – Bishop Luers’ Jaylon Smith ended speculation Saturday on where he would play college football.

Smith, who is entering his senior season with the Knights, announced that he orally committed to Notre Dame after the Redefining Athletic Standards camp at Trine University.

Smith said he informed Irish coach Brian Kelly of his decision Friday.

“It feels good, just getting it out of the way, so I can concentrate on my senior year,” Smith said of making the announcement.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound linebacker is a five-star recruit, according to Rivals.com.

He is also ranked as the No. 1 outside linebacker and No. 4 overall prospect by Rivals.com.

Smith was named to the Class 2A All-State team after he helped the Knights win the state championship. He had 55 tackles, 20 tackles for loss and nine sacks last season.

Smith chose Notre Dame over USC and Ohio State. His older brother Rod Smith is a running back with the Buckeyes.

Smith, who ran some drills at the camp under the guidance of Notre Dame defensive line coach Mike Elston, said one of the appeals to playing for the Irish is being able to stay close to home.

“Every athlete wants to stay close to their mother,” Smith said. “That really played a big part in it. And just the opportunity, I really don’t have any fear in any athlete. I think I could play where ever I chose to.”

Smith decided to make his decision public Saturday at the camp, which featured former Bishop Luers and Purdue star and current Dallas Cowboy Anthony Spencer and was run by AWP Sports Performance, because he was ready to stop the process.

“It had been so stressful, getting all of these letters,” said Smith, who trains with AWP.

“I have about 2,000 letters right now in a box, and I’m really glad that is about to end somewhat.”

He said Notre Dame’s academic reputation helped seal his decision.

“I sat down with one of (Notre Dame’s) academic advisers, and they laid the statistics out, and it was crazy as far as African-Americans, 99 percent of African-Americans graduate from there,” Smith said.

“You can go down the list, Ohio State, Illinois and Alabama, and none of them were close.”

Mike Ledo, president and CEO of AWP, has worked with Smith since after the linebacker’s freshman year.

Ledo said Notre Dame is not just getting a great athlete but also a great leader. He compared Smith to current Irish linebacker Manti Te’o.

“It has been an honor to work with the young man,” Ledo said of Smith.

“His character exemplifies why he is making the decision he is making. It has nothing to do about playing in the sun. It has nothing to do about the girls on campus. This young man is making a 40-year decision, not a four-year decision.

“The thing with Jaylon is the leadership. … He is all about building his teammates. It’s like he is not even a superstar.”

Smith’s decision to come to Notre Dame adds to a linebacking corps that will lose Te’o to graduation after this season.

Linebackers Dan Fox and Carlo Calabrese will also be seniors this season, but each still have one more year of eligibility.

Smith will likely remain at outside linebacker with the Irish.

“It was just a matter of, they have, I believe, three starting linebackers leaving my incoming year,” Smith said.

“It will be a great opportunity.”

Smith is the 13th player to commit to Notre Dame’s class of 2013.

TJimmy
06-03-2012, 02:44 PM
This is HUGE! Awesome!

luckofirish8
06-03-2012, 03:48 PM
This doesn't suck.

iloveirish_12
06-03-2012, 06:35 PM

It doesn't need to stop. I love it.

NDisNCin2010
06-03-2012, 07:02 PM
welcome to the ND Family Jaylon!

HUUUUGE pick up for Kelly

stonebreakerwasgod
06-03-2012, 07:09 PM
We need more guys like him. Only way ND is going to ever get back into the NC hunt.

jbrown_9999
06-03-2012, 08:13 PM
I don't know whether we should accept Smith's commitment. He is only 6'3". That's a little short for OLB according to Kelly's profile. :biggrin:

tedwick
06-03-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't know whether we should accept Smith's commitment. He is only 6'3". That's a little short for OLB according to Kelly's profile. :biggrin:moderately-sized skill

jbrown_9999
06-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Per SBT, Smith tweeted that he will wear #1

Irish#1
06-04-2012, 10:02 AM
He can wear any number he wants as far as I'm concerned. Welcom to the Irish family Jaylon.

IrishCrasher
06-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Alleluiah!!! Thank God this kids Irish! Welcome to the Fam Jaylon! You have made many diehards very happy with your decision.

grantland
06-05-2012, 01:11 PM
"I sat down with one of (Notre Dame’s) academic advisers, and they laid the statistics out, and it was crazy as far as African-Americans, 99 percent of African-Americans graduate from there,” Smith said.

“You can go down the list, Ohio State, Illinois and Alabama, and none of them were close.”

This has to be a recruiting tool we should be able to take even more advantage of. I think there is alot of irony in it, however.

For the kids like Jayon who seem to have their head on straight, this probably does not really matter. That is, Jaylon is probably going to get a degree no matter where he attends school.

For the kids who do not have their head on straight, this is a non-factor. the kid likely does not want to go to ND anyway and alot of them get weeded out by ND - it may even be a detriment to our recruiting (the kid does not want to go to college to study).

The kids in the middle are who we have to sell this to and hard. And we have to go beyond the graduation numbers and sell the kids on what exactly the ND kids who have degrees are now doing. I bet that shows alot.

LOVEMYIRISH
06-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Agreed Grant. This is a HUGE selling point for A-A kids. It's critical to show them AND THEIR PARENTS that ND backs it's shit up...we take care of all kids.

Svoboda
06-05-2012, 08:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUNK18iC0MU

HoffVir
06-08-2012, 10:58 AM
June 8, 2012
Five-star Smith dedicated to craft
Josh Helmholdt
Rivals.com Football Recruiting

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/Jaylon-Smith-Makes-Commitment-1104985

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/JAYLON-SMITH-200_0523.JPG
Jaylon Smith understands he attracts attention wherever he goes.

Jaylon Smith had every excuse to take this offseason off to let his body rest. A 14-game, state-title-producing junior season in the fall transitioned immediately into basketball season for the two-sport star.

No one would have blamed the 6-foot-3, 220-pound Smith had he disappeared for a few months, but the fact that he was very visible this spring is one of the reasons he makes the highest debut of the new five-stars

Smith's move from the No. 34 player in the country to the No. 4 spot in the Rivals100 was the product of a sensational camp, 7-on-7 and combine tour this offseason. The Fort Wayne (Ind.) Bishop Luers prospect traveled to places such as Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and Ann Arbor between February and April to not only show off his skills, but to take his game to new heights.

"I am just enjoying all of this off-season stuff -- 7-on-7s and camps -- because it gets you prepared for the season coming up," Smith said. "My love for the game is really why I do it. I'm really just trying to go out there, make a statement and not leave any doubt in people's minds that I am the best outside linebacker in the nation."

There is another reason Smith was very visible this spring. When he is on the field, coaches and media pay closer attention and that has resulted in more opportunities for his high school, 7-on-7 teammates and even other prospects working out at the camps he attends. Smith understands that and embraces that.

"That's really my role, just in giving back with my abilities and my attention," Smith said. "I am glad I've gotten a chance to give those guys an opportunity just to be evaluated by some of these BCS college coaches. It's a blessing for me to have this type of attention and I'm taking advantage of that."

It was clear this past weekend when Smith attended the RAS Camp in Angola, Ind. College coaches from schools such as Illinois, Notre Dame, Purdue, Iowa and Wisconsin were working the camp, but there was also a throng of media in attendance to see Smith work out and hear him announce his college destination. In the process, other players at the camp earned positive publicity and several picked up new scholarship offers.

Smith's teammates have taken advantage of the increased attention the new five-star has brought to the Fort Wayne area and his AWP 7-on-7 team. Fellow Bishop Luers standouts such as defensive backs Tyvel Jemison, Kendrick Mullen and Andrew Spencer have elevated their stock and profiles this offseason while others such as Fort Wayne (Ind.) Concordia Lutheran linebacker Michael Hicks, who plays next to Smith in their 7-on-7 defense, went from under-the-radar to well-known over the last few months.

While those players are focused on making their own mark, they also respond to Smith's presence on the field. He is almost always the most vocal player on the field, keeping his comments positive and constructive. His time spent with his 7-on-7 team this spring has taught him what it takes to be a better leader.

"It's about heart and never getting down in situations," Smith said. "Maybe I do something wrong? you never see my head drop. Younger guys look at that type of stuff and they really feed off of what I do. I am trying to be poised and always staying positive. That plays a big role on our 7-on-7 team and just leading in general."

After one more season with Bishop Luers, Smith will take his talents and leadership to Notre Dame, the school to which he announced a commitment at the RAS Camp. Schools such as Ohio State, USC, Illinois and Michigan State all crossed his thoughts in the final few months before his commitment, but could not displace the connection he felt with the Fighting Irish.

"I knew March 3rd after I visited (South Bend)," Smith said. "I knew that I wanted to go there, but I wanted to make it a process and make sure nobody offered more than what Notre Dame did. Obviously nobody compares to them academically-wise in the Midwest."

Smith has already begun to build a bond with his future teammates -- a list that includes 13 other class of 2013 commitments and collectively represents the nation's eighth-best recruiting class.

At the same time, Smith has kept his head in the present. His 7-on-7 team still has goals to accomplish this summer, and Bishop Luers is poised to defend its Class 2A state title in the fall.

Smith feels his own development is far from complete, and also is not yet satisfied with his place in the national rankings. The No. 4 spot is "not really a winner," in Smith's eyes, and so he will continue to be visible this summer, and in the process undoubtedly raise the visibility of those around him.

http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1373285

NotreDameNate
06-08-2012, 01:36 PM
I think this guy could be special for us.

NDisNCin2010
06-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I think this guy could be special for us.

no doubt about it

the full package

now we need 84 more just like him

Purebred Irishman
06-12-2012, 03:58 AM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1374303

Jaylon Smith has been exceeding expectations around the Midwest for years.

Before Smith became a five-star outside linebacker and one of the elite football prospects in the country, he had to pick between public high school or the rigors of a private Catholic education mixed with a demanding extracurricular schedule.

Smith's first commitment was to Bishop Luers. He's been part of three straight state championships since. That decision helped guide the two-way standout from Fort Wayne, Ind., to his Notre Dame commitment earlier this month. Choosing the Irish with plans to rekindle past glory is a proposition Smith embraced.

"Most people that don't know Notre Dame, they refer to the glory days," Smith said. "They think all the Notre Dame people are always trying to refer to the glory days. It's really our challenge to get back there. I'm looking forward to it."

Embracing a challenge went beyond Smith's college choice.

All spring he's traveled to camps and 7-on-7 tournaments to sharpen his skills in advance of the upcoming season. Next week he will cap off the travel circuit with a trip to Atlanta as one of 100 top players participating in the inaugural Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge.

"It is an honor to attend those types of things and participate in those type of things," Smith said. "I definitely have a great mentality going in there. I look forward to being the best out there."

Five of the top six prospects in the Rivals100 will be in attendance. Smith fits into that group as the latest rankings update has him listed at fourth overall.

In terms of position group Smith is rated the top outside linebacker nationally and trails only Alabama commit Reuben Foster, who will take part in the Challenge, when all the linebackers are combined. Foster projects more as an inside backer but will give Smith a measuring stick.

Smith has proven himself against the Midwest for the better part of two years. Now he can line up against Foster and other national elites for a better view of where he fits in.

"You can never be satisfied," Smith said. "That is not really a winner right there. Obviously they've got Reuben second - and much love and respect for him - but I am definitely going to open some eyes and I'm looking forward to it. It really starts now with training and training harder than those guys."

After announcing his commitment Smith didn't shy away from saying Notre Dame had landed the top player in the country. He added factors off the playing field into the equation in painting the picture of a well-rounded student-athlete.

"Really it's my character that separates me from most of those guys," Smith said. "I don't like that most of these scouting reports go off of ability. I see a lot of guys talking and doing these interviews and they don't have anything to say. It's their character that they need to improve on. Really just developing a great mindset and just speaking it."

But it's the tangible things that have carried Smith to five-star status and an invitation to the Challenge. It will be those same attributes that he'll match up against Foster and the rest of the national elite next weekend.

"They're thinking what I am thinking," Smith said. "They are trying to make a statement too. It will be two great players going at it and we'll see who wins." ?

zimmsbg78
06-15-2012, 07:57 AM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1374440 (free)

Jaylon Smith has been exceeding expectations around the Midwest for years.

Before Smith became a five-star outside linebacker and one of the elite football prospects in the country, he had to pick between public high school or the rigors of a private Catholic education mixed with a demanding extracurricular schedule.

Smith's first commitment was to Bishop Luers where he has been part of three straight state championships. That decision helped guide the two-way standout to his Notre Dame commitment earlier this month. Choosing the Irish with plans to rekindle past glory is a proposition Smith embraced.

"Most people that don't know Notre Dame, they refer to the glory days," Smith said. "They think all the Notre Dame people are always trying to refer to the glory days. It's really our challenge to get back there. I'm looking forward to it."

Embracing a challenge went beyond Smith's college choice.

Throughout the spring, Smith has traveled to camps and 7-on-7 tournaments in order to sharpen his skills for the upcoming season. Next week, the five-star prospect will cap off the travel circuit with a trip to Atlanta as one of 100 top players participating in the inaugural Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge.

"It is an honor to attend those types of things and participate in those types of things," Smith said. "I definitely have a great mentality going in there. I look forward to being the best out there."

Five of the top six prospects in the Rivals100 will be in attendance. Smith fits into that group as the latest rankings update has him listed at fourth overall.

In terms of position groups, Smith is ranked as the top outside linebacker nationally and trails only Alabama commit Reuben Foster in terms of all linebacker spots. Foster, who will also take part in the Five-Star Challenge, projects more as an inside backer, but will give Smith a measuring stick.

"You can never be satisfied," Smith said. "That is not really a winner right there. Obviously they've got Reuben second and much love and respect for him but I am definitely going to open some eyes and I'm looking forward to it. It really starts now with training and training harder than those guys."

After announcing his commitment to the Fighting Irish, Smith didn't shy away from saying Notre Dame had landed the top player in the country. He added factors off the playing field into the equation in painting the picture of a well-rounded student-athlete.

"Really, it's my character that separates me from most of those guys," Smith said. "I don't like that most of these scouting reports go off of ability.

"I see a lot of guys talking and doing these interviews and they don't have anything to say. It's their character that they need to improve on. Really just developing a great mindset and just speaking it."

But it's the tangible things that have carried Smith to five-star status and an invitation to the Challenge. It will be those same attributes that he plans to show off while going up against Foster and the rest of the national elite next weekend.

"They're thinking what I am thinking," Smith said. "They are trying to make a statement too. It will be two great players going at it and we'll see who wins."

Mike Farrell's take

Smith could be the most athletic linebacker we've seen in years and certainly the most athletic headed to South Bend in a long time. He's long, rangy and athletic and he can cover running backs, tight ends or even wide receivers because of his quickness and length. He'll be a great matchup to watch in one-on-ones and in 7-on-7 where he could make some highlight reel plays.

HoffVir
06-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Notre Dame football recruiting: Irish commit pares down hat collection

By TYLER JAMES
South Bend Tribune
June 21, 2012

Scattered across Jaylon Smith's bedroom were a rainbow of sweatshirts and snapback hats from many of the schools that had courted him during his college recruitment.

Now a Notre Dame commit, the rising senior linebacker from Fort Wayne thought about trying to sell the clothing that he'd bought on visits to each school.

He was invested in his Notre Dame commitment and didn't see the need to have clothing for other schools. So on June 6, Smith took to Twitter to try and pawn off the gear.

"Im sellin new college hoodies and snapbacks for 12 dollars!$$ i aint got use for none of them, i dnt wear nothin tht isnt labeled Nd hit me!" Smith tweeted.

He followed up the tweet with photos showing sweatshirts from Florida, Ohio State, Purdue, USC, and Miami and a line of more than a dozen hats stretching across a dresser.

Looking for interested buyers, Smith posted his phone number in one of the tweets. In the coming hour, Smith's Twitter timeline and cell phone started getting throttled.

Followers sent him tweets worrying about possible NCAA violations and started suggesting other alternatives to get rid of the gear. Some took Smith's tweets as disrepect to the schools that had unsuccessfully recruited him. But the then 16-year-old Smith insisted he was just trying to have a little fun.

"I didn't need to say all that stuff," Smith told the Tribune a week after the tweets. "I'm going to give them away to my little brother."

"I was just having a little fun, just really showing all the stuff I had when I was caught up getting all those offers from Alabama and all that stuff. As kids, we go out and get stuff just to wear. Eventually it was a waste of money because I ended up committing (to Notre Dame)."

Smith's 17th birthday was last Thursday and he planned on buying a couple more Notre Dame hats and possibly something for his new car while on his Friday visit to Notre Dame to replenish his wardrobe.

Smith tweeted about possibly throwing all the gear away or donating it to charity that night, but as time passed he decided he knew people who would appreciate the clothing.

He turned himself into a summertime Santa Claus, giving away the gear to family members. Smith's older brother Rod plays at Ohio State, so he decided to give a Buckeye sweatshirt to his dad.

"I'm just figuring out ways to give," Smith said.

Smith wasn't done tweeting that night. He realized he needed to respond to the fans who decided to use Smith's posted phone number as an opportunity to connect with the high school athlete.

"Much love for yu irish fans! But stop texting me to say goodluck at nd and things like tht just write me on here!" Smith tweeted.

It was a lesson learned about the popularity of being one of the nation's top linebackers and a Notre Dame commit.

"It was crazy. I kind of knew before I sent it that there was going to be some fans out there that we're actually going to call me and text me," Smith said. "I'm a regular kid. I'm not a superstar. I really like reaching out to the fans. I like that type of stuff. I wasn't really too concerned."

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/collegesports/notredame/sbt-20120621sbtmichb-02-06-20120621,0,96765.story

stew654
06-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Quote from the 5* challenge - This kid gets it, a good representative and a good start to changing perceptions

Jaylon Smith
‏@JaeeSmiff9ENT

Following

Noone respects ND here because there mindsets are only on Football<~~~

stonebreakerwasgod
06-24-2012, 11:17 AM
If Jaylon was in a movie, he would play Goose in Maverick. The big Stud. :)

LOVEMYIRISH
06-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Glad he gets it. Guys like him, Tuitt, etc, could really help change perceptions that ND can't play D. We build a a strong D and more will follow.

It's interesting, because Kelly and Weis really stepped up the pressure on the parents about educations and 40-year decisions...it's the way it should be.

zimmsbg78
06-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Video interview with Jaylon prior to the Rivals 100 five star challenge.........

http://vimeo.com/44540943

HoffVir
07-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Irish Sports Daily ‏@ISDUpdate
#NotreDame LB commit Jaylon Smith runs a 4.59 in the 40 at The Opening.
1:36 PM - 6 Jul 12

Purebred Irishman
07-09-2012, 08:04 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/7279-the-opening-ins-a-outs

JAYLON’S JAYLON: Notre Dame linebacker commit Jaylon Smith was one of the stars of the event. Everybody was talking about him. The biggest things with Smith are the length of his frame, speed which allows him to erase distance between himself in receivers and/or ball-carriers and the athleticism to make plays when he gets to where he needs to be.

Smith also put in plenty of work recruiting this week. I can’t think of more than two uncommitted prospects who I spoke with who didn’t say Smith was talking to them about Notre Dame.

HoffVir
07-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Jason Sapp ‏@BGI_JasonSapp
#NotreDame LB commit Jaylon Smith (@JaeeSmiff9ENT) moves up to No. 5 nationally and 100 rating on @247Sports http://bit.ly/S8t43t #Irish
8:04 PM - 11 Jul 12

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/175/557/7_557175.jpg
Notre Dame commit Jaylon Smith is now the nation's top linebacker prospect according to 247Sports.

-After watching him in multiple camp settings and combining what we see on film in terms of playmaking ability and instincts, we believe Jaylon Smith is the No. 1 linebacker prospect in the country. The 6-foot-3, 218-pounder is elite laterally and has plenty of natural ability. He is committed to Notre Dame and checks in at No. 5 overall.

zimmsbg78
10-02-2012, 10:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cJo6svX0EZw

NotreDameNate
10-02-2012, 12:20 PM
This guy! He will make losing Manti easier. That is no slight to Manti either, just saying that I think Jaylon will be that next special something for ND.

zimmsbg78
10-09-2012, 10:40 AM
ESPN Recruiting Nation video interview.......

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8471454

stew654
10-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Jaylon up for Fan choice player of the year
http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121017/SPORTS/121019660

HoffVir
10-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Unlimited voting.

Everyone vote for me I'm losing by 300 with 57 minutes left please!!!!http://newssentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121019/SPORTS/121019532/1007 …
10:03 PM - 21 Oct 12

EDIT: Actually, there is a limit, but it's after a lot of votes.

LOVEMYIRISH
10-21-2012, 11:28 PM
he won!

Sweeney6083
10-21-2012, 11:42 PM
nice

stew654
10-22-2012, 03:38 PM
http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121022/SPORTS/121029945
Notre Dame fans, Smith's talent carry him to honor

zimmsbg78
10-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Official video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUUfmL055nWFEwUBdn94BVHA&v=BYczAAuqsRc&feature=player_detailpage

HoffVir
10-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Fort Wayne, NJ ?

HoffVir
11-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Jaylon Smith update from Friday night
Steve Wiltfong
40 hours ago

I know Jason will have something on the Irish commits and how they all fared, but wanted to post Smith had 137 yards rushing and two TDs on Friday in a 21-0 sectional championship win over a very well coach Churubusco team.

Smith and his teammates are chasing a four-peat in Class 2-A.

http://notredame.247sports.com/Board/87/Jaylon-Smith-update-from-Friday-night-13720216

stew654
11-06-2012, 06:51 PM
What do you guys think about tht #5 getting handed down to me from Mant'i next year,?,��

Orig reported going to an alex but think jaylon has been great rep so far for his class n nd

HoffVir
11-06-2012, 07:07 PM
He's said in the past that he'd be #1. It doesn't matter to me, they can work it out.

HoffVir
11-07-2012, 01:54 PM
It's a joke it took this long.

Tyler James ‏@TJamesNDI
'13 #NotreDame LB commit Jaylon Smith gets his fifth star from ESPN. http://ow.ly/f6mPy
1:38 PM - 7 Nov 12

BDirish4ever
11-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Jaylon finished up an incredible career at Bishop Luers leading the Knights to their 4th straight Indiana 2A State Championship with a 40 - 28 win over Indianapolis Cardinal Ritter. Jalen rushed for 150 yards on 21 carries and 3 touchdowns.

zimmsbg78
12-03-2012, 09:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFuid8Qx5I&feature=player_detailpage

stew654
12-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Jaylon wins butkus award

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50057381#.ULzsU5Pjlbt

HoffVir
12-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Jason Sapp ‏@BGI_JasonSapp
MT @SWiltfong247: Five-star LB commit Jaylon Smith named Indiana's Mr. Football http://bit.ly/y2ecUr Gunner Kiel won the award last year.
12:28 PM - 6 Dec 12

Irish Joe
12-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Build a fence around Indiana (extend it to include Chicago) and no elite recruit leaves. Gotta own the recruiting in your own state.

Purebred Irishman
12-22-2012, 12:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7sEocmDTd0

HoffVir
12-22-2012, 12:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWnZCYGLHMk&feature=share&list=PLAA5B1FE09796FD3F

zimmsbg78
12-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Video interview with Farrell from the Army All-American registration..........

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/army-jaylon-smith-1111618

zimmsbg78
01-02-2013, 08:59 AM

zimmsbg78
01-07-2013, 10:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZBy3xILELQ&feature=player_embedded

HoffVir
01-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Notre Dame's top 2013 commit in five-star OLB Jaylon Smith calls Brian Kelly's return "huge." http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Jaylon-Smith-talks-about-Brian-Kelly-returning-to-Notre-Dame-111068 … #ND #Irish
5:48 PM - 12 Jan 13

HoffVir
01-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Final @247Composite for 2013 1. Nkemdiche, 2. J. Smith, 3. Hargreaves, 4. Tunsil, 5. Cravens
2:06 PM - 21 Jan 13

HoffVir
01-22-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm keeping my #9 throughout college lets go!!!!! ND Olb Jaylon Smith #9
4:09 PM - 22 Jan 13

jbrown_9999
01-22-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm keeping my #9 throughout college lets go!!!!! ND Olb Jaylon Smith #9
4:09 PM - 22 Jan 13

Will Nix be the heaviest college player ever to wear number 1?

LOVEMYIRISH
01-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Looks like he thought #1, but really wanted #9...love it

zimmsbg78
01-31-2013, 02:58 PM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1465631 (free)

The close of the evaluation period for the Class of 2013 produced few changes at the top of the Rivals100, but as the players jockeyed for position, the Rivals.com team of analysts saw the highlights and lowlights of each prospect.

Generally, the most difficult aspect of ranking players is making comparisons and projections, but it is the task most asked of analysts. With just days left until National Signing Day, the Rivals.com team will break down the best of the best by comparing them to players on the NFL level.

Each day, there will be a breakdown of two players from the Top 10 of the Rivals100.

No. 3 Jaylon Smith, outside linebacker, Fort Wayne (Ind.) Bishop Luers

Attributes: 6-foot-3, 212 pounds

Top schools: Commmitted to Notre Dame

NFL comparison: Aldon Smith, San Francisco 49ers

Tale of the tape: Aldon Smith has about 40 pounds of development on Jaylon, but both are at the 6-foot-3 measurement and incredibly fast and active. Jaylon has a frame very similar to Aldon's, and adding the mass can be easily done when he gets into the Notre Dame strength program. He will likely not lose his speed.

When we last saw him: Jaylon Smith had a quiet week in practice at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, but he got a pass for that because linebackers are tough to evaluate during workouts because they don't do much. The five-star Notre Dame commit proved himself in the game, and that's what matters. He played with his hand down and was successful on blitzes, and he dropped into coverage and made plays. The rare thing about Smith is that he can cover so much ground that he can be an asset all over the defense. He's smart, fast and productive, and he was arguably the best defensive player on either side.<

Analyst's take: "Physically, he reminds me of Aldon when he was a prospect because he wasn't the biggest kid but he had a frame to build on. His game is very similar as well, because he is very good in space and he can rush the edge exceptionally well. Both players are able to get skinny when they need to, and that is a major part of the game for Jaylon. His flexibility to be in space and as a pass rusher makes him very versatile. Mostly the comparison here is based on projection. I look at Jaylon, and I can see him becoming Aldon."

marv81s
02-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Jaylon Smith rebuffs Michigan’s late push
Keith Arnold Feb 1, 2013, 8:45 PM EST

Current Michigan defensive coordinator Greg Mattison has a special place carved out for him in Notre Dame football’s history books. The coaching lifer spent eight years in South Bend, coordinating the defense for Bob Davie, then staying on staff through the transition to Tyrone Willingham, a rare holdover in the house-cleaning that happened after the 2001 season.

Mattison conceded his title of defensive coordinator to Kent Baer, sliding back to defensive line coach. While he did his best to run the Irish recruiting efforts, he helped land a blue-chip recruiting class filled with NFL talent after Willingham’s sparkling first year, before efforts slipped precipitously the next two seasons.

Mattison’s years in South Bend were good ones. His daughter Lisa graduated from Notre Dame, starring for the softball team. But Charlie Weis was hired, Mattison was quickly snatched up by Urban Meyer, joining the Gators staff as the co-defensive coordinator. And from that day forward, he’s been a thorn in the Irish’s side.

Mattison and Meyer went head-to-head with Weis and his staff for multiple players, winning more often than they didn’t. Many accused the former Irish assistants of using negative tactics when dealing with their former stomping grounds, utilizing their first hand knowledge of life under the Golden Dome to swing blue-chip recruits like Omar Hunter and Justin Trattou, becoming a perpetual thrown in Notre Dame’s side ever since both town.

Mattison left the college ranks for three years, coaching linebackers then coordinating John Harbaugh’s Ravens defense. But when Brady Hoke took the Michigan head coaching job, his first call was to his old friend, who returned to the college game and picked up recruiting just where he left off.

That meant going head-to-head with Notre Dame again. And while Mattison has been a worthy adversary coordinating the Wolverines upstart defense, he also hasn’t stopped trying to chase down Irish recruits, something that’s more than fair in today’s cut-throat recruiting world.

But in the case of Jaylon Smith, it didn’t matter.

The Irish’s signature recruit heard the persuasive recruiting pitch Mattison delivered in the days where Brian Kelly considered the Philadelphia Eagles job, but rebuffed the Wolverines and their defensive coordinator all the same.

Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free Press has more:

When news broke shortly after the BCS title game that Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly was interviewing with the Philadelphia Eagles, Michigan defensive coordinator Greg Mattison took a little trip to Indiana.

He wanted Ft. Wayne Bishop Luers linebacker and Notre Dame commitment Jaylon Smith to know he had options.

“He told me there was still a spot at Michigan for me if anything changed,” Smith said. “I appreciated that, but nothing was going to change. The Golden Dome isn’t going anywhere.”

When Mattison visited with Smith on Jan. 11 — four days after Alabama thumped Notre Dame in the BCS title game, three days after Kelly talked with the Eagles and one day before he turned them down — he was more than impressed, according to Bishop Luers athletic director Jim Huth.

“After the meeting, Mattison came out of the room and just looked at me,” Huth recalled, “and he said, ‘That kid is the real deal. I have talked with hundreds of players in my career and never had a conversation like that.’ “

Smith wasn’t just a participant in the prestigious U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio, he was a captain for the West team. That game also showed his versatility as a player when he put his hand on the ground and attacked as a defensive end.

“And then he can cover like a cornerback,” said Josh Helmholdt, Midwest analyst for Rivals.com, which ranks Smith the No. 3 overall player in the nation. “That’s a freakish athlete. The guy runs a 4.4 40 (yard-dash). He may be the most athletic linebacker I’ve covered in 10 years of doing this. He’s that special.”

For Notre Dame fans looking for a new favorite player, Smith enters the race with a pretty good tagline: “The Golden Dome isn’t going anywhere.”

On the field, Smith is the most highly touted recruit to come to campus since Jimmy Clausen. He’s ranked higher than any defensive player Notre Dame has signed in the recruiting era (Manti Te’o included) and while Smith is slotted to play behind Prince Shembo at the ‘Cat’ linebacker position, there seems little doubt that Smith will find his way onto the field, because there doesn’t look like much that the five-star outside linebacker can’t do when he’s on it.

Smith runs like a cornerback, blitzes like the quickest of edge rushers and even carried the offensive load for his high school team as their running back. In the US Army All-American Bowl workouts and game, he seemed a notch above the rest of the athletes in attendance. While he’ll need to add weight to a frame that carries around 215 pounds, he’s neck in neck with Stephon Tuitt for freakiest athlete on the Irish defense from the day he steps onto campus.

And he’s still carrying a job at the local Burger King in Fort Wayne.

While most of the focus of these final days of recruiting is on the unknowns, there’s no reason to look past a once-in-a-decade recruit like Smith. It might be easy to now, but come September, it will likely be impossible.

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/812/594/594812.jpg

Synoptico
02-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Fax is in

zimmsbg78
02-06-2013, 11:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41wDjTN6Cy8&feature=player_detailpage

jbrown_9999
02-11-2013, 03:50 PM
I thought I read that Jaylon was now 220+ but I cannot find where I saw that. Does anyone know if an updated weight for Jaylon was ever reported?

lowayne
02-11-2013, 04:02 PM
I thought I read that Jaylon was now 220+ but I cannot find where I saw that. Does anyone know if an updated weight for Jaylon was ever reported?

I only recall seeing it as a fact that came out of the all-star game that I never saw in an article or such.

HoffVir
04-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Watching some 2013 stuff- Would be very surprised if Jaylon Smith doesn't play a ton of snaps this year for the #Irish.
8:38 AM - 29 Apr 13

HoffVir
07-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Freshman Focus: Jaylon Smith
Keith Arnold Jul 28, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
Indianapolis Star

http://nbcirish.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/jaylon-smith.jpg?w=181

The crown jewel of the Irish recruiting class, Jaylon Smith begins his Notre Dame career as the school’s highest ranked defensive prospect in the modern recruiting era. The top high school linebacker in the country, Smith is an all-everything recruit, a headliner on every All-American team, and a prospect coveted by schools coast to coast.

After guiding his Bishop Luers high school team to four straight state titles, Smith exits his Indiana high school football career one of the most decorated players the state has ever seen. Starring as both a running back and linebacker, Smith will now focus on playing defense for the Irish, where his elite athletic ability and explosiveness give Brian Kelly and Bob Diaco a defender unlike any they’ve previously had. While it’s a big jump from small-school Indiana football, Smith walks onto campus expected to be one of the future stars of college football, a hype that often times is tough to match.

Let’s take a closer look at Jaylon Smith.

RECRUITING PEDIGREE

A consensus top-five player in the country, Smith was universally viewed as the top outside linebacker in the country. With offers from just about every elite program in the country, Smith picked Notre Dame over Ohio State, where his brother plays for Urban Meyer.

The Butkus Award winner at the high school level, Smith was a Parade All-American, first team USA Today All-American, and Indiana’s Mr. Football. He was team captain for the West squad at the US Army All-American Bowl. Put simply, there’s no better prospect on paper than Smith.

EARLY PLAYING TIME OPPORTUNITIES

Expect to see Smith on the field early and often. Where might be the only real question, with Danny Spond firmly entrenched at the Dog linebacker position and Prince Shembo one of the top Cat linebackers in the country. That said, Smith brings something to the outside linebacker depth chart that nobody else can – an elite athletic profile that isn’t often seen.

On the summer camp circuit, Smith hopped from position to position, dominating drills as a wide receiver, running back, defensive end, linebacker or cover corner. While he’ll need to add bulk and get used to the physicality demanded in Diaco’s defense, he’s the type of athlete that the coaching staff will find a way to get on the field.

With the Irish finally having the personnel to utilize nickel and dime packages, expect Smith to be featured in specialty groupings, either using his speed in coverage or coming off the edge as a pass rusher.

PROJECTING THE FUTURE

The sky is the limit for Smith. Athletically, he has few equals. And as the Irish’s standout ’13 recruiting class was coming together, Smith showed himself to be the type of leader that gets Kelly and his staff more than excited.

“The thing that’s most impressive is the character of this young man and his energy,” Kelly said of Smith on Signing Day. “He just has it. When he walks into a room, the room kind of lightens up, and that’s the kind of personality that he is, and he is one tough football player, as well.”

Smith will grow into that leadership role, with the Irish filled with quality upperclassmen ready to handle those responsibilities. The same can be said for his role on the field. With Spond entering his senior season, there’s no need to force Smith to be the type of every down player you’d expect out of a recruit in a similar stratosphere. But finding where to play Smith will be the biggest challenge for this staff, and will likely be dictated by Smith’s development in the weight room.

Right now, you could make an argument for Smith playing a handful of different positions on both sides of the ball. But after watching Anthony Barr turn into one of the most dangerous edge players in the game, you can expect to see Smith develop in the same way. And that should have Irish fans very excited.

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2013/07/28/freshman-focus-jaylon-smith/

mlcspinner
08-31-2013, 07:37 PM
BK - jaylon smith played like a freshman today, but he had great energy and did some good things. he missed the curl a couple of times.

publicola
08-31-2013, 07:52 PM
BK - jaylon smith played like a freshman today, but he had great energy and did some good things. he missed the curl a couple of times.

He also got owned on an abusive stiff arm

IrishDodger
08-31-2013, 08:00 PM
He looked lost but he's a true frosh. Grace bit on PA pretty much every time. scUM will take notice.

HoffVir
08-31-2013, 11:15 PM
August 31, 2013
Smith steady in first start
Jake Brown
IrishIllustrated.com Recruiting Analyst

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/961/1442252.jpg

NOTRE DAME, Ind. - Jaylon Smith officially announced his presence on the first play of his college career.

Smith started at outside linebacker for Notre Dame in its 28-6 win over Temple, becoming the first true freshman to start at linebacker in an opener for the Irish since Kory Minor in 1995. Seconds later the former five-star prospect joined defensive end Stephon Tuitt for a tackle.

“He understands everything,” said safety Matthias Farley. “He plays fast. He plays aggressive. He’s real eager to learn and he’s picked up everything really fast. There wasn’t, to my knowledge, any ‘Jaylon do this. Jaylon do that.’ He was definitely on his business.”

Whatever direct statistical impact Smith, who wasn’t made available to media after the game, had ended right there with the first assisted tackle. Officially, it was his only stat in the box score.

But taking stock of his performance went beyond the data.

Smith ascended into the starting role after hemiplegic migraines forced incumbent Danny Spond to retire midway through fall camp. The Ft. Wayne product then went into a heads up competition with junior Ben Councell, who has been working at the drop outside linebacker position since arriving on campus.

That process let Smith look poised on the job during critical moments on Saturday.

“He looked good,” said inside linebacker Dan Fox, who led the team with 10 tackles. “My first college game, I was so nervous. He looked real comfortable going out there and playing. I thought he did a good job.”

Smith wasn’t without mistakes.

Playing the drop position requires more finesse than power, often slipping into coverage as a pseudo-nickel back against slot receivers and tight ends to the wide side of the field. Proper alignment eluded Smith at times.

“He did some pretty good things,” said head coach Brian Kelly. “He played like a freshman. He was a little out of place at times. But in some instances, he obviously has great athletic ability. Closes very well. But it’s probably what we expected of him. I think he played like a freshman today. Played with some great energy. He’s got great speed and athleticism.

“But he’s got a lot of work to do as well in terms of being in the right place, forcing the football, being in the curl. He missed a curl a couple of times but I’m sure glad he’s on our football team.”

As are his teammates. Fox saw an engaged player in Smith even as he and Councell rotated in and out of the game.

“We were just all attentive and ready for the coaching from the sidelines,” Fox said. “He was always there. He was always cheering on Councell when he was in. He’s a real team player.”

http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1543496

Purebred Irishman
09-26-2013, 07:00 AM
http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Freshman-Jaylon-Smith-Settles-In-At-Notre-Dame--151512

Three hundred page textbooks have been just as intimidating as 300-pound linemen for Irish freshman Jaylon Smith during the past four weeks. Smith took over the starting linebacker job for Notre Dame a week before his first college class and has been focusing on balancing both this September.

Smith came to South Bend this summer trailed by the fanfare that is becoming commonplace for five-star prospects. Voted the country’s best high school linebacker during his final season at nearby Ft. Wayne Bishop Luers, Smith told coaches and trainers that his goal was to win a starting job at Notre Dame immediately.

When senior linebacker Danny Spond decided to walk away from football because of a rare migraine headache issue, the door opened for Smith and he seized the opportunity. He said the most difficult part of the job thus far has been attempting to tackle ballcarriers and college workload for the first time at the same time.

“I wouldn’t say it’s on the field,” he said when asked about the biggest adjustment he’s made this month. “It’s just really time management off the field.”

Smith’s physical skills have helped him keep pace on the field while he’s learning. He’s made 11 tackles, one for a loss, in his four starts. He’s been a quiet contributor at the start of his career, but blending in on a top-tier college defense is as a rookie is a noteworthy accomplishment.

The 6-3, 230-pound rookie is slightly undersized for the position. He could stand to gain a few pounds before taking on offensive tackles, who are both bigger and faster than anyone he was in high school. For the time being he relies on his raw athletic ability.

“He’s got so much energy and he’s so open to coaching,” fellow linebacker Jarrett Grace said. “His natural gifts just put him over the top.”

His speed and agility won’t save him on every play this season. Smith admits he’s made some mistakes on the job. Head coach Brian Kelly said he wound up in the wrong spot at wrong time in his debut against Temple, as freshmen are wont to do. He made similar missteps against Michigan, but has recovered from them on the fly.

“It’s probably what we expected from him,” Kelly said after the Temple game. “He's got a lot of work to do in terms of being in the right place, forcing the football, being in the curl. He missed the curl a couple of times, but I'm sure glad he's on our football team.”

Help hasn’t been hard to find. Smith shared a room with fellow starting linebacker Prince Shembo during training camp. The senior helped his new roommate learn how to narrow focus as he adjusted from being a do-it-all, two-way player in high school to filling a specific role with the Irish.

Spond became a tutor for the other outside linebackers when he decided to stop playing. He’s played a big role in explaining the multitude of jobs assigned to the Dog linebacker. Smith has to hold the edge of the defense at times and also be able to drop into pass coverage when the situation dictates.

“[I’m] really just learning from Danny,” Smith said. “He was teaching me the ins and outs to read run and pass and just things like that. It’s something that improved my game.”

Smith hasn’t yet flashed any blatant evidence of his wunderkind reputation. He’s waiting on his first sack or momentum-shifting play, moments that don’t typically come right away for freshmen linebackers. Even Manti Te’o had relatively pedestrian stats his first season in South Bend. He’s patient though, knowing that simply not tripping over himself is an impressive athletic feat at this point.

“As a college student athlete there are a lot of things going on and you really just have to stay focused,” he said. “I have a long way to go, but I think I’m on the right track.”

Purebred Irishman
09-26-2013, 07:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b22HN78Pqko

NotreDameNate
10-07-2013, 08:57 AM
I think we are starting to see why this guy had 5 stars. I thought he played quite a game against ASU. This kid is going to be a beast in the not so distant future.

LOVEMYIRISH
10-07-2013, 12:09 PM
I think we are starting to see why this guy had 5 stars. I thought he played quite a game against ASU. This kid is going to be a beast in the not so distant future.

you can see the game slowing down for him...he's playing, not thinking.

IrishDodger
10-26-2013, 07:25 PM
STUD

JDriveSthND
10-26-2013, 09:35 PM
STUD

Absolutely. The guy is freakin' awesome already.

HoffVir
10-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Enjoy him the next 2+ years. Special talent. Got screwed out of a potential TD.

Purebred Irishman
11-03-2013, 03:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QgcHXJByZU&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

Purebred Irishman
11-27-2013, 04:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuZtkwpdWIU&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

HoffVir
12-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Chris Johnson > INSIDE COLLEGE FOOTBALL
Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith rapidly reaching his potential

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/dam/assets/131226120451-jaylon-smith-single-image-cut.jpg
[SIZE=1]Speed, size and versatility have made Jaylon Smith (9) an emerging force in Notre Dame's defense.

The top-ranked recruit at outside linebacker in the class of 2013 arrived at Notre Dame last summer with the potential to become a superstar. Jaylon Smith may not have earned that label yet, but after the true freshman started 12 games and emerged as a key cog in the Fighting Irish defense this season, he appears to be well on his way.

Smith, who ranks third on the team in tackles (61) and second in tackles for loss (6.5), passes defended (4) and pass breakups (3), will help lead a Notre Dame defense that has allowed just 5.17 yards per play (30th in the country) this season against (6-6) Rutgers in the Pinstripe Bowl on Saturday at Yankee Stadium. He has already developed into one of the Irish's best defensive players, which is exactly what most observers expected when the graduate of Bishop Luers High in Fort Wayne, Ind., committed to Notre Dame in June 2012.

In Fort Wayne, Smith was a starter for the Knights for four years, starring on both sides of the ball. With him in the lineup, Bishop Luers won four Class 2A state championships, and Smith, as a senior, won the 2012 Butkus Award as the nation's top high school linebacker. In the Knights' 3-4 scheme, the versatile Smith -- who also played running back and rushed for 1,265 yards and 18 touchdowns during his senior season -- rushed the quarterback, defended passes and ran down ball carriers. At 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds, his blend of size and speed made him a terror for opposing offenses.

"He was the fastest, if not the second fastest kid on the field every Friday night," Matt Millhouse, the defensive coordinator at Bishop Luers, said of Smith, who ran a hand-timed 4.4-second 40-yard dash at a recruiting camp in Indianapolis nearly two years ago. "He was a big kid, but he was just so athletic and fast."

Of all the great plays that Smith made throughout his high school career, Millhouse points to one during his junior season that illustrates both the breadth of Smith's skills and his attention to detail. After spending time in practice working on chipping receivers during the week leading up to a game against Indianapolis' Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School, Smith applied exactly what he had learned -- and created a stunning highlight in the process. On a short pass thrown near midfield, he knocked down the intended receiver a few yards from the line of scrimmage, jumped high to intercept the ball and trucked a would-be tackler on his way out of bounds at the end of a 35-yard return.

http://youtu.be/E4T_9a7X6ZE

"That was one of those freak plays you don't see very often," Millhouse said. "Kind of amazing."

At that point, Smith had already drawn the attention of coaches from elite college programs. He has singled out a Nike recruiting camp in Columbus, Ohio, near the end of his sophomore year as the moment when his recruiting stock began to soar. Smith got scholarship offers from Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State, Oklahoma and USC, among other BCS conference powers. After verbally committing to Notre Dame, he continued to participate in 7-on-7 tournaments and recruiting camps, in part because he wanted his teammates to benefit from the coaches' attention that his presence attracted.

"When Jaylon came through, it really started blowing up, where a lot of schools knew who we were," Millhouse said. "It almost got ridiculous at some point. We had so many coaches coming in, day in and day out."

When the Fighting Irish opened preseason camp in early August, Smith was third on the depth chart at the "Dog" linebacker position. After senior Danny Spond was forced to stop playing because of hemiplegic migraines, Smith beat out sophomore Ben Councell for the starting spot.

Dog linebacker is one of the most complex positions in Notre Dame's 3-4 defense. Fortunately for Smith, it accentuates his biggest strength, versatility, by allowing him to both drop into coverage and rush the passer.

"The cool part about being the Dog linebacker is that you're working directly with the defensive backs, but at the same time you're also working with the D-line," said Spond, who served as a player-coach for Notre Dame this season. "From my point of view and experience with the system, I think the position suits him perfectly."

"With that position, you have to be able to do multiple things," said Smith. "One snap, you're asked to cover a slot guy, like [Notre Dame senior receiver] T.J. Jones. The next snap, you have to deal with a 300-pound lineman. So one play you're in pass coverage, one play you're rushing."

During the early part of the season, Spond regularly gave Smith pointers on the sideline between defensive series. Toward the end of the season, as Smith grasped more and more of the nuances of the Dog's role, his sideline conversations with Spond became less frequent. Though Smith was inconsistent and made some mistakes in the first few games, he says he felt more comfortable by October, pointing to the Fighting Irish's 17-13 victory over Michigan State on Sept. 21 as the moment when he felt he finally could "take a deep breath and play the game the way I have been playing since I was seven years old. I was able to be myself and contribute to the team."

Two weeks later, Smith made eight tackles to help lead Notre Dame to a three-point win over eventual Pac-12 South champion Arizona State. In a loss at Pittsburgh on Nov. 9, he had a season-high 11 tackles. His rapid progression was pivotal in helping the Fighting Irish defense overcome a series of debilitating injuries. By the end of the regular season, his body of work was such that Athlon Sports named him to the first-team defense of its 2013 Postseason All-Freshman team (http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-2013-postseason-all-freshman-team).

Next season, Smith should play an even bigger role for a unit that will lose several key contributors, including linebackers Prince Shembo, Carlo Calabrese and Dan Fox, cornerback Bennett Jackson, tackle Louis Nix III and, possibly, end Stephon Tuitt. Smith hopes to improve his strength, while keeping his weight around 230 pounds, so he can be a more physical player.

"Just trying to get stronger so that physicality presence will show," said Smith, who notes that he is able to lift far more weight now than he could during his senior year at Bishop Luers.

The key to Smith's development, however, will be more mental than physical. He wants to improve his ability to recognize before the snap whether the offense is running a pass or run play.

"Knowing when to look down at a receiver and position myself to where I can disrupt the ball and really keep improving my game, as far as recognizing whether it's a run or a pass," he said. If Smith can refine some of those aspects of his game, how good can he become?

"I think it's nice to be able to tell somebody, You can be as good as you want to be," says Spond. "I really think that's the case with Jaylon. If he wants to be the greatest linebacker in the country and go to the NFL as soon as he can -- I really think he can."

For Smith, those goals certainly appear to be within his reach.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131226/jaylon-smith-notre-dame-dog-linebacker/#ixzz2obhURYgd

Purebred Irishman
12-29-2013, 04:03 AM
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20131229/SPORTS0302/312299938/1087

NEW YORK – Jaylon Smith finished his first season at Notre Dame with a unique experience and a victory.

The former Bishop Luers star, who started every game this season, had six tackles in Saturday’s 29-16 victory over Rutgers in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium.

“It was surreal, just being around everything,” Smith said of being in New York for the first time in the days leading up to the game.

Smith had a surreal season himself as he became the first freshman outside linebacker to start a season opener for the Irish since Kory Minor in 1995. He moved into the starting lineup when returning starter Danny Spond, a senior, had to stop playing before the season because of the recurrence of severe migraine headaches.

The 6-foot-2, 230-pounder had a tackle in his first game against Temple on Aug. 31 and went on to finish third on the team in tackles with 61. Smith had the fifth most tackles by a freshman in school history and the most tackles by a freshman since Manti Te’o had 63 in 2009.

“I knew it was going to be a journey,” Smith said. “I was a bit used to longer seasons considering high school (when he helped Luers win four straight Class 2A state championships). I knew it was going to be a great challenge, I just had to keep my heart in it.”

Smith’s 6 1/2 tackles for loss were second only to defensive end Stephon Tuitt’s 7 1/2 , and he also had an interception, forced a fumble, recovered a fumble and broke up three passes.

Smith will be the only returning starter to the Irish’s linebacker group as outside linebacker Prince Shembo and inside linebackers Carlo Calabrese and Dan Fox graduate.

“He’s an amazing person and an amazing athlete, and I think he is only going to get better, too,” Fox said of Smith. “He’s a great person for the young guys to emulate and follow. I think he can lead. He has the characteristics, and I think he is ready to do that.”

Smith may need to be a leader for more than the linebackers as defensive end Stephon Tuitt may have played his last game for Notre Dame on Saturday. The junior, who had four tackles and 1 1/2 sacks against Rutgers, received a second-round grade for the NFL draft and may not return for his senior season.

“He will now focus on making that decision,” coach Brian Kelly said of Tuitt. “He knows all the information, my job is to provide him with all the information about the decision he is about to make. I’m pretty certain that he will make his decision here very, very soon.”

Smith said he is ready to step into whatever role the Irish need from him next season.

“I think there is going to come a time where I’m going to have to lead,” Smith said. “I’m not sure if it is going to be next year, but I’m going to give it my all. We have guys coming back. We lost a lot of guys. But it’s going to be a great year next year.”

HoffVir
01-06-2014, 01:28 PM
This is some BS ...

Matt Fortuna ‏@Matt_Fortuna
Eddie Vanderdoes is an @TheFWAA freshman All-American. Jaylon Smith is not. #NotreDame fans must be thrilled. http://bit.ly/1iK24Ha
1:26 PM - 6 Jan 14

TJimmy
01-06-2014, 11:23 PM
ridiculous...

Purebred Irishman
04-12-2014, 05:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvfzZjQ9gTw&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q&index=3

Purebred Irishman
08-05-2014, 06:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s37g45k-v88&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

NotreDameNate
08-15-2014, 12:54 AM
A bit lengthy, but a damn good read! Will be an absolute stud!

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/08/10/notre-dame-fighting-irish-jaylon-smith

Purebred Irishman
08-20-2014, 05:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprl6fVVWbE&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

Purebred Irishman
09-04-2014, 03:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeOE735Maso&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

Purebred Irishman
09-09-2014, 05:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UMWqD4UUMw&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

Purebred Irishman
09-14-2014, 02:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bGtMkK9WQU&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

rontdtarchala
09-14-2014, 02:46 AM
He played well today, but as it is with the entire team he has a hell of a lot of room for improvement... and as it is with his brothers it is going to be exciting watching him get better and better...

Purebred Irishman
09-25-2014, 04:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTaDCrfqtjY&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

rontdtarchala
09-25-2014, 05:51 AM
I am looking forward to seeing him as he matures... I would love for all the defense to play with his intensity and football knowledge... we are getting close people...

Purebred Irishman
10-02-2014, 05:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLGjT7yphGo&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

Purebred Irishman
10-30-2014, 04:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC9VLhp8_x4&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

Purebred Irishman
11-02-2014, 05:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG2RYUR_0r8&list=UUE4eowdQYjxFuDSlnsan94Q

HoffVir
09-14-2015, 01:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7T4iJrghcI

lowayne
12-08-2015, 05:44 PM
http://www.thebutkusaward.com/

HoffVir
12-08-2015, 05:47 PM
http://www.thebutkusaward.com/

Awesome.

Tom Loy ‏@TomLoy247 (https://twitter.com/TomLoy247) 42s42 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/TomLoy247/status/674359134729310208)
#NotreDame (https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash) linebacker Jaylon Smith wins Butkus Award. He is truly elite. http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt/Jaylon-Smith-wins-Butkus-Award-41863405 … (https://t.co/L2tJvTMkAK)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVvJ0PgW4AAppTb.jpg
5:45 PM - 8 Dec 2015

NotreDameNate
12-09-2015, 07:13 PM
So happy for this guy! Jaylon has been nothing but a class act and one hell of a football player! Hope you all enjoyed him the past few seasons I highly doubt he will be around for ND next year. If not, hopefully the Bears somehow can draft him, that would be great!

LOVEMYIRISH
12-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Gonna miss him next year. :-(

robdog_5
12-10-2015, 01:48 AM
He covered many of our flaws. Imagine how bad BVG will be without him.

LOVEMYIRISH
12-10-2015, 09:55 AM
He covered many of our flaws. Imagine how bad BVG will be without him.

no kidding...the Butkus award winner man...he's that good

IrishDodger
12-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Kiper has him #2 on his draft board. McShay has him in the top ten. Of course, their opinions don't mean shit.

Pete
01-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Surgery this Thursday

Pete
11-17-2016, 09:47 PM
Has anyone seen a report on how he's doing recovery wise?

IrishDodger
11-17-2016, 10:23 PM
Has anyone seen a report on how he's doing recovery wise?

Nothing. He stays active doing charitable work for the Cowboys. I suspect if there was some good news that he'd have shared it.

Pete
11-22-2016, 06:35 AM
Cowboys plan to activate Jaylon Smith

The Dallas Cowboys plan to activate rookie linebacker Jaylon Smith, a huge development in Smith’s recovery from a major knee injury. And while it’s not necessarily a sign that Smith will be a part of the Cowboys’ stretch run, it’s an indicator that the former Notre Dame All-American and Butkus Award winner is making progress after his injury in last season’s Fiesta Bowl sent his career on an unexpected detour.

Cowboys VP Steven Jones announced the news on local Dallas radio, telling 105.3 The Fan that Smith can help the team as the season continues, even if it’s only in practices. From the Dallas News:

“That doesn’t mean anything with change with Jaylon in terms of his routine,” he said. “I don’t actually see him [returning to the field], even though he’s eligible to practice — just to extend your period. If we weren’t to activate him, then they would certainly be done if they don’t start practicing.

Jones also said the team will not activate tight end James Hanna, who underwent season-ending knee surgery. He had a previous surgery in August.

“So really it’ll just be Jaylon and McFadden that we’d give that shot to keep them alive,” Jones said. “And McFadden will actually return to practice full bore. But Jaylon’s routine won’t change at the moment.”

Much of the focus on Smith’s return has been focused on the nerve in his knee regenerating. The nerve was the major reason why Smith slid from the draft’s first five picks until the second round, a time-consuming process and a recovery that doesn’t always happen.

A source with knowledge of the situation has confirmed that Smith’s nerve is responding as the team and Smith had hoped. While he’s not at full power, he has taken major strides in the months he’s been working with the Cowboys medical staff, who feel confident enough in the overall health of Smith’s knee (he also reportedly suffered ACL and LCL tears) to allow him to participate in practice, less than 11 months after the initial injury.

Smith’s recovery comes as no surprise to those who coached and played with him in South Bend. Former head coach Brian Kelly had this to say about Smith earlier this year.

“You don’t need to worry about that with Jaylon Smith. He could fall to the seventh round. He’s going to be a star in the NFL. It really doesn’t matter,” Kelly said this spring. “He’s so driven and so focused on what’s in front of him that he’ll overcome this. I have no doubt about it.

“This is a generational player. You go generations and don’t get a player or a kid like this.”

untitledproject
11-27-2016, 10:40 AM
of all the teams that couldve signed him it had to be the cowboys...

IrishDodger
01-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Talked to Jaylon Smith. Believes he could've played by now, being patient. Nerve regenerating. Brace not a factor anymore. Ran 4.5 other day
9:55 AM - 5 Jan 2017

Tweeted by Todd Archer who covers the Cowboys

LOVEMYIRISH
01-05-2017, 09:53 PM
That's good to hear...I really hope he gets back to 100% and kicks some butt

Pete
01-05-2017, 11:26 PM
Great news for Jaylon. If he gets anywhere close to 100% then the Cowboys knocked it out of the park with that draft. Zeke, Dax, and Jaylon.

IrishDodger
01-06-2017, 01:01 AM
Great news for Jaylon. If he gets anywhere close to 100% then the Cowboys knocked it out of the park with that draft. Zeke, Dax, and Jaylon.

And remember when Jerry Jones reportedly wanted to draft Manziel but his son, Stephen, insisted Zack Martin was the better prospect? Father doesn't always know best.

Jiggafini19
01-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Father doesn't always know best.

Not one who has had as many face lifts as Jerry has.

Pete
02-05-2017, 09:46 AM
https://twitter.com/thejaylonsmith/status/827510271413460992/video/1