PDA

View Full Version : '13 OH DE/TE Jacob Matuska (Verbal Commit 3/7/12 ND LOI)

zimmsbg78
07-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Tight End
Columbus, Ohio
Bishop Hartley

Links of Interest:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Jacob-Matuska-123570

http://247sports.com/Recruit/Jacob-Matuska-11717

Height:6'5"
Weight:240 lbs
Class:2013 (High School)

Multimedia
http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.php/view-profile.html?task=userProfile&user=7765

Jacob currently holds verbal offers from Cincinnati and Toledo. Receiving interest from ND, pOSU, scUM, MSU, State Penn, Wisconsin, Syracuse, UCLA and Princeton. Jacob attended ND's camp this summer and the coaches had him take reps at TE, OLB and DE. Coach Hinton told him they are interested but don't know what postion they prefer for him.

Jacob is a big time ND fan who would probably jump and commit on the spot.

zimmsbg78
02-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Jacob has added verbal offers from OU, Illinios, N.C. State, scUM and Syracuse.

Junior year video...............
http://scoutingohio.com/index.php/view-profile.html?task=userProfile&user=7765&name=moose82

zimmsbg78
02-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Jacob has added verbal offers from ND, Nebraska and Kentucky. Receiving interest from MSU, pOSU, Boston College and Northwestern.

As previously stated, Jacob grew up a ND fan. ND is still the leader here.

NDGirlzRock
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Will ND take two TE this year???

mcbri014
02-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Will ND take two TE this year???

Probably.... Especially if the other one is Breneman or Heuerman

DublinIrish
02-28-2012, 02:33 AM
just get him on campus and try him out. Seems like a Carrico type guy

Purebred Irishman
02-29-2012, 05:07 AM
Matuska Excited For ND Jr. Day (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/6596-matuska-excited-for-nd-jr-day)

Jacob Matuska landed three offers in January, but the 2013 athlete from Columbus, Ohio has really seen his recruitment take off this month.

“It’s been happening fast here since Feb. 1st,” Matuska’s father Jim said.

Since signing day, the 6-foot-5, 240-pounder from Bishop Hartley High School has added offers from Notre Dame, Michigan, Nebraska, Kentucky, Northwestern, Indiana and South Florida to a list that already included Oklahoma, Syracuse, Illinois and North Carolina State.

Bishop Hartley head coach Brad Burchfield has helped Matuska and his family deal with all of the attention.

“Coach Burchfield has done a fine job communicating with us as well as letting us know what to expect,” Matuska’s father said. “We were kind of anxious to start hearing from some of these schools.”

Notre Dame was clearly one of the schools the family was looking forward to hearing from. Matuska will be attending the Irish’s Junior Day this weekend after making trips to South Bend for last fall’s USC game and a camp last summer.

“As a family, we were able to take a look through campus and see some sights, but not a whole lot of the school and the academics,” Jim Matuska said of the previous trips. “We’re looking forward to that and we’re looking forward to talking to the coaches in a more of a relaxed environment.

“On game day, everything is moving fast. We’re looking forward to getting a more clear of an idea of where they see him and how he’ll fit in.”

Matuska is being recruited by some schools as a tight end and others as a linebacker or defensive end. The Irish like Matuska as a defender.

“They’re most definitely looking on the defensive side of the ball,” his father said. “Probably more of a defensive end and maybe even an outside backer, I guess. When we were up at the camp, they gave him some reps at tight end as well as linebacker and a little bit of defensive end. I think they perceive him on the defensive side of the ball.”

That may not be Matuska’s preference, but it probably won’t be a major factor either.

“He definitely leans toward the offensive side of the ball, but whatever the opportunity is best-suited for the situation,” his father said. “For the right place, right time, he’s willing to do whatever it takes.”

Despite living in Columbus, Matuska has always sided with the Irish over the hometown Buckeyes.

“I guess you kind of take after the direction of your parents and family,” Jim Matuska said. “Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always been a Buckeye fan as well as a Notre Dame fan. We’ve always been in the Catholic school system. When I went to school, our team was the Fighting Irish. It’s just been something that he’s been around. Obviously the tradition and the mystique pique his interest.

“It’s kind of where most of us have been leaning a little bit more heavily toward the Buckeyes being here in Buckeye territory, but he’s always kind of stayed on the Notre Dame track.”

Burchfield gets a kick out of seeing Matuska welcome college coaches, regardless of which school they’re from, while wearing a Fighting Irish tie.

“I told him it’s an interesting conversation piece for sure,” his father laughed. “I told one of the coaches, ‘I guess we probably need to get him one tie from every school.’ Typically, he’s been a Notre Dame fan and that’s the only college team tie that he has, that’s for sure.”

Matuska is looking forward to visiting South Bend again this weekend and the Irish figure to be in the mix until the end .

“I think we’re at the point right now where we really want to get down to a handful of schools, maybe even a few schools that we can really see up close and personal and look at everything and make that decision,” his father said.

“There’s no doubt that Notre Dame is one of those for sure.”

DublinIrish
02-29-2012, 07:24 AM
being recruiting for defense huh? thats interesting

Purebred Irishman
03-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Recruiting Week In Review (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/6629-recruiting-week-in-review)

Jacob Matuska, DE, 6-5, 240, Bishop Hartley High School, Columbus, OH also attended Notre Dame’s first Junior Day. Many Irish fans hoped that Matuska might make his verbal commitment to Notre Dame on this visit but he didn’t. However, that doesn’t mean that his visit didn’t go well or that he’s far from a decision.

“It went great,” Matuska’s father Jim related. “It was a really good day. We got an opportunity to spend a lot of time with the coaches and staff and see the academics. There was much more of an opportunity to talk to the coaches and get a feel for who they are; their personalities as well as what their thoughts were. It was great. It was a small group and we had a lot of time to get questions answered.”

While Matuska met with all the coaches, his time spent with Coach Mike Elston provided the most answers for the talented Ohioan.

“He was just filling us in on who he was, a little bit about him and his history and experiences,” said the elder Matuska. “Then we talked about the position and what their thoughts were on how Jacob might fit in. We got a chance to see some videotape and see how they would use Jacob. It was really good. We had a good conversation with Coach. He was very honest with us and we know what Notre Dame thinks of Jacob and what he thinks of Jacob and where he might fit in.”

Many schools are looking at Matuska as a tight end but Notre Dame made it clear that they see him on the other side of the ball.

“Coach talked about ‘could he play tight end? yes’ but they see his best position for Notre Dame at defensive end,” Jim Matuska said. “Notre Dame has a need and they’re looking for a position. That’s where they see him. We appreciate that, we respect that and we’re honored and happy that they would think about him and consider him for that position.”

Before Matuska makes a decision to commit to anyone, he and his family want to sit down and talk about everything.

“We’ll get a chance to talk about it and put it all in perspective,” said Matuska’s father. “It’s a very big decision; obviously that’s an understatement. We don’t have a timetable, but I think we have what we need at this point. I would think it would be sooner than later if he can be confident of his decision. That could come very soon.”

Purebred Irishman
03-06-2012, 05:51 AM
Junior Day focuses on four top prospects | Inside the Irish (http://irish.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/junior-day-focuses-on-four-top-prospects/)

JACOB MATUSKA – Defensive End

If you’re looking for the prototype “big skill” player that Kelly mentioned targeting in this recruiting class, Matuska represents one of the early targets. At six-foot-five, and 250 pounds, Matuska is another big body that’s been looked at as both a tight end and defensive end, with the Irish slotting him to work with Mike Elston on the defensive side of the ball.

The Irish offered Matuska a scholarship a few weeks ago and they’ve hardly been the only big-name program chasing after the Columbus native. While the hometown Buckeyes have yet to offer, Matuska has picked up offers from Michigan, Nebraska and Oklahoma recently. After his weekend visit to South Bend, it’s clear that the Irish staff know where they see him fitting into the defensive system.

Christian McCollum of Irish Sports Daily caught up with Matuska’s father, who spoke candidly about his son’s two-way options.

“Coach talked about, ‘Could he play tight end? Yes,’ but they see his best position for Notre Dame at defensive end,” the elder Matuska told IrishSportsDaily.com. “Notre Dame has a need and they’re looking for a position. That’s where they see him. We appreciate that, we respect that and we’re honored and happy that they would think about him and consider him for that position.”

It appears that the Irish coaching staff is already preparing for the eventuality of losing both Aaron Lynch and Stephon Tuitt. If both talented rising sophomores take the leaps in their game the coaching staff hopes, that could be sooner than later, which explains the focus on players of Matuska’s profile. From various reports, it seems like Matuska could be one of the first to make their decision.

“We’ll get a chance to talk about it and put it all in perspective. It is a very big decision, obviously that’s an understatement,” Jim Matuska told ISD. “We don’t have a timetable, but I think we have what we need at this point. I would think it would be sooner than later if he can be confident of his decision. That could come very soon.”

NDgrandson
03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Junior Day focuses on four top prospects | Inside the Irish

It appears that the Irish coaching staff is already preparing for the eventuality of losing both Aaron Lynch and Stephon Tuitt.

(http://irish.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/junior-day-focuses-on-four-top-prospects/)

Yeah. Consider Tuitt and Lynch might only have two more seasons at ND. So the 2013 DE haul could redshirt and get their first games in the 2014 season with Lynch and Tuitt in the NFL. That's a good problem to have I guess and one that should aid our staff in recruiting. Always reload.

PDOGEMP
03-07-2012, 08:28 AM
He is IRISH!

Purebred Irishman
03-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Matuska Makes Two (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/6638-matuska-makes-two)

Jacob Matuska didn’t make a commitment during his visit to Notre Dame earlier this month for the Irish’s mini-Junior Day, but from the time the Irish extended an offer to the Ohio prospect last week, it was clearly a possibility.

The 6-foot-5, 240-pounder from Bishop Hartley High School lives in Columbus, Ohio, has always been a Notre Dame fan. Now he’s a member of the Notre Dame family.

Matuska offered his verbal commitment to Brian Kelly and his staff, giving the Irish their second commitment in the Class of 2013. Michigan offensive lineman Steve Elmer is the other.

Matuska had offers from schools like Michigan, Oklahoma, Cincinnati, Illinois, Nebraska and North Carolina State, but the Notre Dame offer was the one he’d been waiting for.

Some schools liked Matuska as a tight end, but the Irish like him on defense, either at defensive end or linebacker. More than anything, Matuska represents a ‘Big Skill’ prospect that Kelly and his staff so dearly covet in the Class of 2013.

IrishinTN
03-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Awesome! Welcome aboard and great to have you.

Dayton_Domer
03-07-2012, 08:50 AM
great news

wernd50
03-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Awesome. love to have him but what happens when Ohio State offers

Sparks inda Loo
03-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Awesome. love to have him but what happens when Ohio State offers

Isn't this the kid who walks around wearing a ND tie? He's a Domer.

NotreDameNate
03-07-2012, 11:49 AM
I figured Rev would have something to say? Oh wait, he is Irish, not a Michigan verbal. : ) I kid, I kid.

Congrats, Jacob.

mlcspinner
03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Hey now ! Welcome aboard :)

NDGirlzRock
03-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Very stoked about this commit. This guy is gonna be a beast! Welcome aboard Jacob! NUMA NUMA!!!:partyon:

IrishCrasher
03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
:bottomsup: Cheers!

ALLND62
03-08-2012, 05:29 PM
welcome to the Irish and good luck with all you do.

grokster
03-08-2012, 10:53 PM
What a great name for a defensive player. Just needs a nickname like Bronco Nagurski and let him wreck havoc on opposing teams for the next four years.

Welcome to ND!

stew654
03-24-2012, 10:10 PM
"It was great. It was a whole different experience going there already committed. I got to see the practice and visualize myself there even more without having to compare it to other schools.

"I really enjoyed meeting some of the other recruits and I hope to see some of them commit. Overall it was a great time and I love it more and more each time I go to the University of Notre Dame."

And on landing OL Colin McGover and Hunter Bivin...

"That's great! We definitely want the best recruiting class of 2013!"

DE commit Jacob Matuska comments on junior day visit (http://notredame.247sports.com/Board/Topic/87/8632352)

HoffVir
06-12-2012, 12:05 PM
DE Jacob Matuska - Sets return trip to Notre Dame
Jason Sapp
13 minutes ago

Irish defensive end commit Jacob Matuska says he'll be joining the group of fellow pledges this week in South Bend and he'll be in town on Thursday and Friday.

"I am excited and know the other guys are as well," he said.

Matuska notes that he's looking forwarding to meeting the incoming freshmen that are reporting to campus this weekend as well.

http://notredame.247sports.com/Board/87/DE-Jacob-Matuska-Sets-return-trip-to-Notre-Dame-10102641

ChicagoIrish
06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
I humbly request that we change this guy from "TE" to "DE" here.

HoffVir
06-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Jacob Matuska ‏@moosey2taasty
Just was offered to enroll in the Navy......nah I am going to college lol #ND silly ASVAB test
4:20 PM - 19 Jun 12

zimmsbg78
08-24-2012, 08:08 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/7517-matuska-ready-for-final-run (free)

Jacob Matuska and his Bishop Hartley (Columbus, Ohio) teammates completed two-a-days and held their preseason scrimmage last week and the regular season is set to start on Friday.

The Notre Dame defensive end commit is excited about his final season of high school football with his teammates.

“It’s always fun, especially as a senior, it’ll be my fourth year with most of them,” he said. “With the success we’ve had over the past seasons, we’re ready to build our success for this year.”

Bishop Hartley won the state title in 2010 and won 11 straight games to start last season before being knocked out of the playoffs by state runner-up and Maty Mauk-led Kenton.

“Obviously our goal is a state championship,” Matuska said. “At our school, we always expect excellence in all we do.

“We have 17 seniors and most of our defensive starters are coming back. I definitely think our defense and experience are some of the top strengths we have.”

The 6-foot-5, 240-pounder plays tight end and defensive end for Bishop Hartley, but the Irish have him pegged as a defensive lineman in college.

“I’m definitely looking forward to being able to play this last season as a tight end,” said Matuska. “I’m going to do everything I can to catch every ball that’s thrown to me and score as much as I can.”

Matuska is personally motivated by a play he felt he could have made in that final game last year.

“I dropped a pass that would have tied the game,” he admitted. “I’m definitely looking to get my hands better. My biggest goal is to not drop a pass all season. Over the offseason, I’ve been working on my explosiveness and quickness off the ball.”

He’s ready for the pressure that will come with being a high-profile college commit.

“That’s something I’ve been thinking about during the offseason,” he said. “Each week, people are going to be like, ‘I’m going up against a kid that’s going to Notre Dame.’ It’s going to be kind of cool because that means people are going to give you their best and you can show them what you’ve got.”

Matuska is hoping to get to multiple games in South Bend this fall.

“I’m for sure going to the Michigan game and I’m thinking about picking another game, probably the Stanford game, but I’m not quite sure about that yet,” he said.

He’s excited to spend time with other members of the 2013 recruiting class.

“It’s always fun being around the guys who are committed,” he said. “We’ve built a bond, #IrishMob13. We all stay in touch and wish each other luck in all we do. Being able to go back and see where we’re all going to be heading next year, it’s going to be exciting to hang out with all of the guys, just thinking about what it’s going to be like when we get there.”

But right now, his focus is on his current teammates and one last run.

jbrown_9999
02-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Fax is in

zimmsbg78
02-06-2013, 12:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tZFLJIfH6o&feature=player_detailpage