PDA

View Full Version : '12 FL WR Justin Ferguson (5/1/2011 Notre Dame LOI)

irishunclebill
03-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Wide Receiver
Flanagan High School (Pembroke Pines, FL)

Links of Interest:
Rivals Profile (http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Justin-Ferguson-122055)

Height: 6 foot-2
Weight: 205 lbs.
Forty:
Bench Max:
Squat Max:
Shuttle:
Vertical:
GPA:

Multimedia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhq-xlSRhR4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOIsbemqFOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1IPaCujCQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsurvqsHle4

Justin is yet another WR who is saying he picked up an Irish offer today. His other offers include the Florida Big 3, FIU, and UCF. He is also hearing from Bama, Kentucky, Minny, RU, Tennessee, WVU, and Wisconsin. Ferguson had 44 receptions for 953 Yards and 12 TD's as a Junior.

irishunclebill
03-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Just noticed that the third YouTube highlight above is from genron187, who is a GH member and the Uncle of LaMarcus Joyner.

theman
03-27-2011, 09:26 PM
DerekTysonGC: Flanagan WR Justin Ferguson tells me that #Florida and #ND are his top two schools.

We are in good shape here. He just needs to visit.

irishunclebill
04-01-2011, 12:03 AM
DerekTysonGC: Flanagan WR Justin Ferguson tells me that #Florida and #ND are his top two schools.

We are in good shape here. He just needs to visit.

Ferguson is visiting for the BG game and will be in South Bend for that entire weekend.

theman
04-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Ferguson is visiting for the BG game and will be in South Bend for that entire weekend.

This is really good. If he enjoys it enough, he may even end up committing.

zimmsbg78
04-01-2011, 08:57 AM
http://notredame.scout.com/2/1060594.html (free)

You can talk to receiver Justin Ferguson one time and realize he is a leader. Heading into his senior year at Pembroke Pines (FL) Flanagan, Ferguson will be assuming a leadership role for an offense that has a new quarterback. Ferguson’s recruitment is heating up and shares some of what is going on with FOX Spots and Scout.com.

When we reached Justin Ferguson late at night he was just leaving from his second workout of the day. It is the norm with the 6-2, 200 pound flash of a receiver from south Florida. He is trying to get himself in shape for a big senior season.

“I work out every day,” Ferguson told Scout.com. “I work after school with my teammates then I come home and do my homework, then work out some more and then jog.”

He is looking for a big senior year for Flanagan and understands that he will have to do more than just show up and play in the games and helping out the team’s new quarterback.

“I think we are going to be pretty good, but the only question we might have is our quarterback,” he said. “He has a lot of potential and I like him a lot. He is a senior, but we had another quarterback last year and so he is new.

Ferguson makes it a point to push his teammates toward a strong off-season and eventually a big year.

“I think I am a leader, especially on the field,” he said. “On Monday, we were running and a couple of my teammates were falling behind and ready to stop and I kept after them. I think I keep my guys motivated and stuff.”

He is having a strong junior year in the classroom and Ferguson is working harder to improve an already decent GPA. This recruiting thing is a little different than he thought it would be and has just come on really strong recently with offers from many of Florida’s top schools among others.

“I wasn’t expecting it to be like this,” Ferguson said. “It popped up out of nowhere. I have offers from Florida State, Florida, Notre Dame, FIU, and UCF."

Ferguson has already been taking trips to see some of these schools and has a big one planned for next month some time.

“I visited Florida (February), Florida State (January), I am going to Notre Dame next month,” he said. “I have visited FIU and Miami and am going to visit UCF.”

He is nowhere ready to limit the schools he will look at but says three of the schools that have offered are at the top for now.

“I have a list of three top schools but I wouldn’t call them favorites,” he said. “In no particular order my three top schools are Florida State, Florida, and Notre Dame.”
He talked some about the three.

Florida State: “They are the first school that showed interest and that is a plus for me. I like the vibe they give. The coaches are cool. They seem to be in to me offensively. The campus is real good. I talked to a couple of players and there was some real positive feedback, so they have a lot going on.”

Notre Dame: “I like the offense… the spread offense. The coach there is going to do some great things. I don’t know too much about them, but I am going to go take a visit up there and see how it is.”
He seemed really impressed with Florida’s academics and the whole atmosphere surrounding his trip to Gainesville.

“I visited Florida for Junior Day,” he said. “This won’t really be a part of my decision, but I really liked their facilities. The campus is real nice. They have a great education system. The school presented itself really well to me.”

He also got some face time with a few of Florida’s coaching staff and came away impressed as they did with him.

“The coaches showed a lot of interest and I got a chance to sit down with them,” he said of his Junior Day visit. I talk to Coach Aubrey Hill weekly and he is recruiting me. I talked to Coach Muschamp once. We had a good little conversation and he showed a lot of interest in me. I talked to Coach Weis as well.”

Like everyone, the Gators are intrigued with his size and just how fast he is at that size. His athletic ability would allow him to pose matchup problems all over the field.

“They like that I am versatile and they could use me inside or outside as a slot or flanker,” he said. “I only played one game at slot and it wasn’t one of my best games. I wouldn’t say I don’t like it, but I just like it better outside.”

About that, Ferguson says he can use his strength to fight off defenders and that is the reason he continues to work hard in the weight room. A former fan of Terrell Owens and his physical style of play, Ferguson has grasped on to Dez Bryant and the way he plays the game now.

“Most cornerbacks are smaller than me,” he said. “It is easier for me to get off the jam. I can even catch the short ball and get around them. I don’t think I would be where I am now without my strength. I don’t think any cornerback can jam me. I have been working out like I have, to keep that from happening.”

Ferguson says he knows what he is looking for in a program.

“It will be about the education,” he said. “I am also looking to see where I am comfortable and what offense is best for me.”

mcbri014
04-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Co-leaders with Florida

Purebred Irishman
04-18-2011, 04:56 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/4631-recruiting-week-in-review

Justin Ferguson, WR, 6-1, 200, Flanagan High School, Pembroke Pines, FL visited Notre Dame for the Blue-Gold game and nearly pulled the trigger on a commitment. He has offers from Florida, Florida State, Florida International, and Central Florida and has previously visited those schools. The Irish stacked up very favorably.

“I was thinking about committing but I wanted to wait to make sure I felt the same way about the school after I left,” said Ferguson. “I liked it a lot. It definitely turned my head. I really had high expectations for the school and it definitely exceeded them.”

Ferguson was especially impressed by the educational opportunities, the coaching staff and the current players.

“There wasn’t really anything not to like about the school,” he informed. “The campus was real nice, it was big but I didn’t know there were only 8,000 kids on campus. The fan base is crazy. Everybody shows the players a lot of love. I even signed a couple of autographs while I was there.”

Ferguson met every coach on the staff last weekend, sat down with Tony Alford a couple of times and Brian Kelly once. He was impressed by the fact that the entire staff was so knowledgeable about him and the skills that he brought to the field.

“When you start taking these visits the schools say the same things, but Notre Dame stood out from the other schools,” he explained. “I felt a lot of love from them, especially the coaches. I got a chance to talk to the defensive line coach and the offensive line coach and they both told me they watched the highlight tapes a couple of times. Not only is the head coach watching it, not only is my wide receiver coach watching it, but every coach actually knows each player. That’s good. I liked what I saw.”

Ferguson also formed some positive bonds with some of the current players. He exchanged phone numbers with Hafis Williams, Lo Wood and Jamoris Slaughter. He was also impressed with the three commitments that Notre Dame picked up over the weekend.

“It shows the progress and that the program is really on the rise,” he said. “This year, next year and the years after that, they’re really going to make a big impact on the national scene.”

Ferguson is likely to make a decision soon. His father informed Irish Sports Daily that right now it’s between Notre Dame and Florida and that a decision is likely sooner than later.

NDroc9
04-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Just wondering how and why we are the only offer this kid has, outside of the Florida schools. He seems like a beast out there , pretty big and pretty fast! I hope he does in fact pull the trigger soon!!

surge4082
04-19-2011, 09:02 PM
May 2nd it is...

Ferguson Sets A Date
Irish Sports Daily
Tuesday, 19 April 2011 19:48 Christian McCollum

Justin Ferguson (Pembroke Pines, Fla/Flanagan High School) has set a date to announce his college decision.

The talented wide receiver, who visited Notre Dame for the Blue-Gold Game, will announce his decision on May 2nd.

Ferguson also has offers from Florida, Florida State, Central Florida, Florida International and picked up an offer from Wisconsin on Monday.

He said his visit to Notre Dame this past weekend exceeded his expectations and it was believed the Irish and the Gators were his leaders after the visit, but the family is still waiting to talk to Wisconsin.

NDgrandson
04-19-2011, 10:39 PM
I'd say based on the BG game and the comments combined with the timing = ND verbal #6.

Irishlaw
04-19-2011, 10:51 PM
yeah the timing of this appears to be in our favor

stonebreakerwasgod
04-19-2011, 11:11 PM
I'd be surprised at this point, though he's certainly going to keep hearing from others until that day.

Irish trending!

lowayne
04-19-2011, 11:17 PM
A Florida kids with offers from every home state U and no one else except for a private school in Indiana. (and now Wiscy it seems). What a curious thing.

stonebreakerwasgod
04-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Playing time is drawing some big time talent in.
What used to be a weakness (DE and DB), will soon be a strength.

Can't wait to see how BK will address ILB this year or next. :)

NDgrandson
04-19-2011, 11:46 PM
A Florida kids with offers from every home state U and no one else except for a private school in Indiana. (and now Wiscy it seems). What a curious thing.

Is there somehting more to this? Is Alford just better connected in FLA than other D1 prgrams outside of FLA? Or do most programs just focus locally first while we focus nationally first and always?

Irishlaw
04-20-2011, 12:01 AM
its a very odd offer list. dont really know what to make of it

piyachi
04-20-2011, 12:04 AM
I think this staff (and it probably does start with Alford) has better connections in FLA. We seem to be shifting more focus there than the west coast for the long-distance recruits - obviously this isn't a blanket statement, but the trend seems to be heading down there.

Also Texas has picked up, even though it's still like trying to get gold out of fort knox.

SouthernIrish
04-20-2011, 08:20 AM
set a commitment date. Probably going to be between ND and UF. Family is wanting to talk with UW before announcing since they just offered. 5-2-11 is the current date.

IrishFan123
04-29-2011, 05:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6449268

Hey Corey,
I want to know what you think of wide receiver Justin Ferguson (Pembroke Pines, Fla./Flanagan). He came to Notre Dame for the spring game and now he is saying that an announcement will be coming next week. Should I be excited?
John Thomas
Elgin, Ill.

Hey John,
I think Notre Dame fans should be very excited about the chances of Ferguson committing to Notre Dame. I think his speed is the most underrated part of his game, but he does a great job of getting behind defenders on routes. He is often the target on middle screens, where he has the ability to outrun a lot of defensive backs. He's a big target (a shade under 6-2 and 200 pounds), and a very smooth route runner with good hands. I think his best football is ahead of him. If he makes the commitment next week, I would think Notre Dame is the team to beat. He still likes Florida and Florida State, however, so he could stay in state. But the timing of his announcement tends to make me think he's going elsewhere.

stonebreakerwasgod
04-29-2011, 05:28 PM
I've been waiting for this Monday for about two weeks. Sounds like a solid catch if the Irish land him.

piyachi
04-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Pun intended?

stonebreakerwasgod
04-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Nah..but go ahead and think that. True though. He's not highly rated, but those that are most familiar with him want him, and those are teams who typically do pretty well at WR especially.

wicket
05-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I dont mind taking him but I wont be jumping for joy with his commitment either.

marv81s
05-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I dont mind taking him but I wont be jumping for joy with his commitment either.

?

stonebreakerwasgod
05-01-2011, 04:57 PM
If the Florida 3 all want him...so do I. It's that simple.

wicket
05-01-2011, 04:59 PM
?

After seeing his film he hardly is an exceptional prospect in my mind

stonebreakerwasgod
05-01-2011, 05:19 PM

But John Gruden said he performed exceptionally at his football camp in shorts. :encore:

Domer Dog
05-01-2011, 06:59 PM

I thought his film was okay, although I concede not being an expert. But he has offers from all the FLorida schools and one thing I've learned is that this staff has a great eye toward talent they feel fits their system. This has been shown over and over, so if BK thinks he works, I'll be happy if he comes aboard.

For some reason though, I getting the impression he is going to stay in FLA.

rikrok58
05-01-2011, 09:50 PM
But John Gruden said he performed exceptionally at his football camp in shorts. :encore:

One more thing has been assured to me after watching the draft this past weekend: John Gruden loves everyone except Christian Ponder.

brownkj002
05-01-2011, 09:58 PM
according to this guy it looks like we have a new wr.

http://twitter.com/#!/larryblustein

Ricochet
05-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I thought his film was okay, although I concede not being an expert. But he has offers from all the FLorida schools and one thing I've learned is that this staff has a great eye toward talent they feel fits their system. This has been shown over and over, so if BK thinks he works, I'll be happy if he comes aboard.

For some reason though, I getting the impression he is going to stay in FLA.He's coming to South Bend if you believe Larry Blustein of the Miami Herald who cover HS football recruiting who's already tweeted that Pembroke Pines Flanagan WR Justin Ferguson will head to Notre Dame. 1st day of spring commit!

Ricochet
05-01-2011, 10:00 PM
http://twitter.com/larryblustein

lowayne
05-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Wicket better be standing for joy with this news. Once he finishes sulking about Cam McDaniel committing that is. :boxing:

rikrok58
05-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Lets hope this is the other good news today....

wicket
05-02-2011, 02:37 AM
Wicket better be standing for joy with this news. Once he finishes sulking about Cam McDaniel committing that is. :boxing:

i still think that was a bad offer, now he could turn out great and id love for that to happen but a prospect at that school would have the major programs all over him if he were a real stud

Purebred Irishman
05-02-2011, 05:32 AM
http://notredame.scout.com/2/1068986.html

The second part of Justin Ferguson’s journey to become a college football player is set to play out on Monday.
The 6-foot-2, 200-pound wide receiver from Pembroke Pines (FL) Flanagan High School has narrowed his list down to two programs he feels can give him the tools needed for success.

Florida caught Ferguson’s eye following a Junior Day visit as he was impressed with the Gators facilities, campus and education system.

Notre Dame saw Ferguson visit during their spring game in mid April and that impression pushed up his timeline to make a decision.

Justin told Irish Eyes following his visit he had set a timeline to make his commitment sometime between November and January. However, following the visit he seemed ready to move things up.

“Because of my visit, I am thinking about committing early, like real soon. However, I want to make sure about the feelings I am having and know my decision is not being based on just the hype from being there. So I want to see how I feel next week and if I still have the same feelings. If I do, I will think about committing.”

That was Justin on April 17, as Justin stressed Notre Dame had moved to the top of his list.

While many feel strongly Justin is ready to pledge to the Irish, one never knows until the announcement is made.

Justin confirmed with Irish Eyes by text message he still plans on making his decision known on Monday.

Irish fans will learn if Notre Dame will be Justin Ferguson’s next stop.

UPDATE 11:00 PM SUNDAY NIGHT

The Miami Herald has reported on Sunday night that Ferguson will commit to Notre Dame when he makes his announcement on Monday night.

jbrown_9999
05-02-2011, 07:28 AM
i still think that was a bad offer, now he could turn out great and id love for that to happen but a prospect at that school would have the major programs all over him if he were a real stud
l know nothing about Ferguson but I did notice that his profile on both Scout and Rivals is pretty sparse and does not even list a 40 time. To me, this might indicate that he has not participated in camps/combines and might be flying under the radar screen in terms of visibility to other programs, especially those outside Florida. On the other hand, the lack of a posted time might just mean that his 40 time is not all that flattering so he is not publicizing it.

In this case, I am willing to give Kelly and Company the benefit of the doubt since they were out in front with some 2011 kids that did not have early elite offers but turned out to be pretty good players.

morrdave9
05-02-2011, 09:45 AM
He is Irish.

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/4695-ferguson-makes-six

Justin Ferguson just wanted to take some time to be sure he was still feeling the same way.

Two weeks after visiting South Bend for Notre Dame’s spring game, the 6-foot-1, 200-pound wide receiver from Pembroke Pines, Fla., (Flanagan High School) decided he did and on Monday morning, his father informed Irish Sports Daily that he has committed to Notre Dame, becoming the sixth member of the Irish’s 2012 recruiting class.

Ferguson represents the first offensive skill commit among a group that also includes California cornerback Tee Shepard, Ohio offensive lineman Taylor Decker, Maryland cornerback Ronald Darby, Texas safety Nicky Baratti and Illinois long snapper Scott Daly.

Ferguson, who runs between a 4.5 and 4.6, caught 44 passes for 963 yards and 12 touchdowns as a junior and tries to pattern his game after Dez Bryant. He chose the Irish over offers from Florida, Florida State, Florida International, Central Florida and Wisconsin.

Ferguson visited the schools in Florida before taking in the Blue-Gold Game on April 16th. He thought about pulling the trigger on the trip, but his mother wasn’t with him and he wanted to wait to see Notre Dame was truly the place he wanted to go. Wisconsin came in with an offer after Ferguson’s Notre Dame trip, but it wasn’t enough to change his mind.

Ferguson plans on getting things in order to graduate in December and enroll at Notre Dame in January to get a head start on his college career.

NDisNCin2010
05-02-2011, 09:57 AM
IUB---a Philly kid is heading to the Bend...

wicket
05-02-2011, 10:30 AM
l know nothing about Ferguson but I did notice that his profile on both Scout and Rivals is pretty sparse and does not even list a 40 time. To me, this might indicate that he has not participated in camps/combines and might be flying under the radar screen in terms of visibility to other programs, especially those outside Florida. On the other hand, the lack of a posted time might just mean that his 40 time is not all that flattering so he is not publicizing it.

In this case, I am willing to give Kelly and Company the benefit of the doubt since they were out in front with some 2011 kids that did not have early elite offers but turned out to be pretty good players.

well he did some camps and one of the things that I dont like is that he has subpar speed. This is evidenced by a 4.7 he ran in a combine in tampa (i believe) and by his film to a certain extend (although he plays more like a 4.55-4.6 type of player). Combine that with playing against about the worst competition in the entire state of florida and you have a few red flags. Ill trust the staff to the extend that I dont think there will be legitimately bad offers out but I do think they are not perfect in their offers (no staff is) and I think we should do no worse than this kid with the other wideout spots

orange34
05-02-2011, 11:11 AM
According to Blueandgold.com Fergusion's Dad said that his son is Irish..... Welcome to the family.

JMR8
05-02-2011, 12:25 PM
he is irish!

http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1217704

HillbillyIrish
05-02-2011, 01:01 PM
welcome Justin

ryno24
05-02-2011, 01:15 PM
big addition... should be a player I like the physicality

Purebred Irishman
05-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Welcome aboard Justin.. Go Irish

Irishlaw
05-02-2011, 02:23 PM
well he did some camps and one of the things that I dont like is that he has subpar speed. This is evidenced by a 4.7 he ran in a combine in tampa (i believe) and by his film to a certain extend (although he plays more like a 4.55-4.6 type of player). Combine that with playing against about the worst competition in the entire state of florida and you have a few red flags. Ill trust the staff to the extend that I dont think there will be legitimately bad offers out but I do think they are not perfect in their offers (no staff is) and I think we should do no worse than this kid with the other wideout spots

You have to remember that this is the same thing the staff did last year the position of greatest need. We needed DEs so BK got some lower rated kids on board to make sure we didn't miss completely. Once carrico and springman were in the fold, we could swing for the fences. It's a different approach than the previous staff had and IMO it's much better. After looking at the scholly numbers again, I think we might take 4 wr so there's plenty of opportunity to fill out the position.

NDisNCin2010
05-02-2011, 02:34 PM
he is irish!

http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1217704

his lefty qb sure throws a nice ball---especially the deep throws in his vid

anyway i like this kid prolly start off on ST and see what happens from there...likje the way he oprates in space and seems very sure handed as a WR-made some nice catches in that vid

wicket
05-02-2011, 02:45 PM
You have to remember that this is the same thing the staff did last year the position of greatest need. We needed DEs so BK got some lower rated kids on board to make sure we didn't miss completely. Once carrico and springman were in the fold, we could swing for the fences. It's a different approach than the previous staff had and IMO it's much better. After looking at the scholly numbers again, I think we might take 4 wr so there's plenty of opportunity to fill out the position.

keep in mind that im not bummed by this either. I compare it to a carrico type of commit. A decent player that will bring you some quality but preferably a career depth guy. Get one of these guys, maybe 2 and try and hit it out of the park with the other 2 spots

Synoptico
05-02-2011, 02:47 PM
keep in mind that im not bummed by this either. I compare it to a carrico type of commit. A decent player that will bring you some quality but preferably a career depth guy. Get one of these guys, maybe 2 and try and hit it out of the park with the other 2 spots

These seem to be the kind of guys Weis didn't recruit.

I understand your sentiment.

On a side note, this does seem like the quietest commitment in recent memory (media wise with everything going on)

lowayne
05-02-2011, 03:02 PM

Brad Carrico didn't have offers from Florida, Florida State, Miami, and Wiscy. Not bad for a guy who doesn't hit the camp circuit or play for a high profile program.

Between the offers and BK's track record of finding talent I think Justin deserves the benefit of the doubt. He fits a different mold of WR that puts more diversity in ND's bag of weapons.

Irishlaw
05-02-2011, 03:02 PM

Yep I agree completely

wicket
05-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Brad Carrico didn't have offers from Florida, Florida State, Miami, and Wiscy. Not bad for a guy who doesn't hit the camp circuit or play for a high profile program.

Between the offers and BK's track record of finding talent I think Justin deserves the benefit of the doubt. He fits a different mold of WR that puts more diversity in ND's bag of weapons.

from everything I hear none of the offers in to the florida schools are committable. Thats the problem, you cant compare last year with this year with respect to offers due to the insane new rule

JMR8
05-02-2011, 03:14 PM
this is no small addition. this kid is not role player talent. he is a big pick up and a nice addition to the WR corps. He doesn't have a ton of offers, but offers from FLA, FSU, MIA, and WISC are more than good enough for me.

theman
05-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Stop complaining guys. ESPN has graded him as an 83, even higher than Shepard or Darby so calm down. Here's evidence. Just go down the page and look on the right.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/87/notre-dame-fighting-irish

Everyone should be very happy. An 83 is a fringe 5 star player.

wicket
05-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Stop complaining guys. ESPN has graded him as an 83, even higher than Shepard or Darby so calm down. Here's evidence. Just go down the page and look on the right.

on scout he is an unranked 3*, on 247 he is our lowest ranked commit outside of the long snapper. never look at one ranking. besides you can just watch his film and see what I mean.

Besides, nobody is complaining. we are merely saying that this isnt the same as the top commits in the class.

lowayne
05-02-2011, 03:32 PM

I can't see the ratings anywhere, only that he has the ESPNU 150 logo by his name. I don't have a premium account though.

theman
05-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I can't see the ratings anywhere, only that he has the ESPNU 150 logo by his name. I don't have a premium account though.

Just click the link and scroll down. No premium account is needed to view this.

theman
05-02-2011, 03:38 PM
on scout he is an unranked 3*, on 247 he is our lowest ranked commit outside of the long snapper. never look at one ranking. besides you can just watch his film and see what I mean.

Besides, nobody is complaining. we are merely saying that this isnt the same as the top commits in the class.

Despite our hatred of ESPN, their rankings have been the most correct of any service, so if ESPN ranks a guy an 83, then he really is an 83 and an elite prospect. Ferguson is a top ten wide receiver in the country and we got him from the major state schools of Florida. Be happy.

lowayne
05-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Just click the link and scroll down. No premium account is needed to view this.

Ah, if you actually go to the recruit listing page the score are blocked. Sounds like they are preparing to release ratings but didn't want to show them yet. Some intern must have put in the wrong code on the team front page :D

EDIT: Looks like score are messed up for some guys. I wouldn't take that 83 seriously.

NDisNCin2010
05-02-2011, 04:02 PM
if Coach Kelly is happy...Im happy...end of story...Welcome to the ND Family Justin!

wicket
05-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Despite our hatred of ESPN, their rankings have been the most correct of any service, so if ESPN ranks a guy an 83, then he really is an 83 and an elite prospect. Ferguson is a top ten wide receiver in the country and we got him from the major state schools of Florida. Be happy.

when you use draft succes as the measure of succes the rankings of epsn are actually dead last

jbrown_9999
05-02-2011, 04:50 PM
when you use draft succes as the measure of succes the rankings of epsn are actually dead last
I'm curious, which service has best track record in terms of draft performance?

wicket
05-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm curious, which service has best track record in terms of draft performance?

rivals, mainly due to knocking the 2006 class out of the park

MoreManti5
05-02-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't think ESPN has given out any grades so far for next years recruiting class. He is on the ESPN 150 Watch List though. All I care about is that we get guys love being Irish. Guys that will come in and work hard to get the team back to the top. Coach Kelly will take care of the rest.

orange34
05-02-2011, 05:30 PM
This kid will have a great year...... He will be a four star kid!!!

mlcspinner
05-02-2011, 05:33 PM
This kid will have a great year...... He will be a four star kid!!!

What matters today is that his helmet will be Gold :encore: Welcome aboard Mr. Ferguson :partyon:

ND from NE
05-02-2011, 05:40 PM
What matters today is that his helmet will be Gold :encore: Welcome aboard Mr. Ferguson :partyon:

that's the bottom line .... Welcome Justin :signnd:

NotreDameNate
05-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Enough said.

Win4Gipper
05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Welcome aboard.

NDGirlzRock
05-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Welcome aboard!!! Nice pick up out of the sunshine state!!!

noklife
05-02-2011, 09:27 PM
rivals, mainly due to knocking the 2006 class out of the park

Is that fact? I would love to see the rankings of the rankings services.

stonebreakerwasgod
05-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm delighted.
I've trusted BK since his early days at UC, and continue to do so. He knows WR and offense, and what guys would do well in it.

IrishCrasher
05-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Welcome Justin! Great pick up!

wicket
05-03-2011, 02:50 AM
Is that fact? I would love to see the rankings of the rankings services.

it is a fact but i looked for the article again yesterday when I posted this and couldnt find it straight away

nd1
05-03-2011, 08:36 AM
welcome aboard.

Jiggafini19
05-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Why trust anyone's rankings? Develop your own football sensibilities by using your own brain and eyes.

I became a big fan of Everett Golson after his junior year sometime in January 2009. He was rated by many as a "three star" recruit. Bull crap as far as I'm concerned.

We don't have to like every offer or even every commit. I'm down with Ferguson, though. That being said the rest of the skill positions in this class need to be big time home runs, especially at running back and especially if Darby is really going to be playing defense.

stonebreakerwasgod
05-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Half our time should be spent on the RB. In fact, BK, Diaco, and team should take turns outside truth's parents front door.

sreepointer
05-03-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm delighted.
I've trusted BK since his early days at UC, and continue to do so. He knows WR and offense, and what guys would do well in it.

I am with you. BK knows more about the players than we do, and if he sees something he likes, I trust him. If he wasn't good, he wouldn't have an offer this early.

lowayne
05-04-2011, 12:11 AM
I am with you. BK knows more about the players than we do, and if he sees something he likes, I trust him. If he wasn't good, he wouldn't have an offer this early.

Interesting point on the timing. Hadn't thought of it from that perspective.

JMR8
05-08-2011, 11:37 AM
not only that, but he wouldnt have offers from FL, FSU, MIA, WISC if he wasn't that good. He's a solid physical WR.

SpanishElite
05-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Alabama just offered.

lowayne
05-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Justin must be doing something right to keep getting offers.

JMR8
05-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Is real excited about the Bama offer..hopefully we can hold o to him.

zimmsbg78
05-27-2011, 08:23 AM
http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Fla-WR-Justin-Ferguson-keeping-his-commitment-to-Notre-Dame-26821 (free)

Twists and turns are expected in any prospect's recruitment.

In Irish wide receiver commit Justin Ferguson's case, however, it appeared that it was starting much sooner than expected for the Notre Dame coaching staff.

"I did an interview the other day and the coaches got a little worried about what I said," the 6-2, 205-pound Flanagan High (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) receiver reported to BlueandGold.com. "I recently got an offer from Alabama so I said that I might go there for a visit to check things out, but that's not going to happen. I never thought about changing my mind to go there or anything like that."

With the May evaluation period winding down and set to end on May 31, it's expected that programs are going to check in with Ferguson to see if there's any room to slide back into the mix.

For those interested, he has one message he wants to deliver.

"I want everyone to know that I'm committed to Notre Dame," he said. "I'm definitely keeping my commitment."

Ferguson had mentioned after giving his pledge to the Irish following a visit for the Blue-Gold Game on April 16 that a deciding factor for him was the coaches noting that they didn't only want him, but they needed him as well.

The conversation he had with the staff just re-emphasized why he felt comfortable giving Notre Dame his word early in the process.

"It shows that they really want me and they'd stayed in contact with me the whole way," Ferguson shared. "After you make a decision you would think that the coaches would move on and start looking at other kids for the class, but I never felt that way. They're still recruiting me and showing interest in having me play for them."

Ferguson, who is ranked by 247Sports as a three-star recruit, made 44 receptions for 953 yards and 12touchdowns in his junior campaign.

His coach, Donald Simon, expects nothing short of 1,000 yards receiving in his final season and Ferguson is looking forward to working towards that goal.

"I'm real excited about our scrimmage on Friday against Naples High," he said. "The team is getting ready to play and we're really bonding right now. It's important for me to be a leader for them and I'm taking on that role everyday."

Ferguson may have pondered taking a trip to Tuscaloosa, but he only has one visit destination in mind moving forward - South Bend.

"I want to visit there a couple more times before the season starts," he said. "I'll probably go out there in July so I can be around the team and keep building a relationship with the players.

"I really want to go out there for the USC game for my official visit, but we'll have to see how it all works out."

There are rarely any guarantees in recruiting, but Ferguson wants to assure everyone that he's about as close as it gets.

MoreManti5
05-27-2011, 10:34 AM
I'd rather have a three star that loves the Irish and wants to work hard to get them back to winning championships than a 5-star that is only looking out for himself. I love this class so far. Hopefully, we can keep it rolling in the coming weeks.

lowayne
05-27-2011, 10:50 AM
This guy is actually very important to this class as he has a different WR skill set than the other young WR's we have.

ChicagoIrish
05-27-2011, 11:13 AM
this guy has an unbelievably unbalanced offer list; not many 3 stars have offers from Florida, Alabama, Florida State, and Notre Dame. he's important to us for a lot of reasons.

stonebreakerwasgod
05-27-2011, 10:51 PM
So far, none of the commits have given me reason to lose sleep over. Gotta have faith.

Purebred Irishman
06-06-2011, 03:00 PM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/4885-fergusons-family-ties-part-i

Justin Ferguson was almost ready to quit, but he made a change instead.

After playing two seasons at Cheltenham High School in Wyncote, Pa., near Philadelphia, Ferguson was convinced he wasn’t going to get what he was hoping out of football.

“At one point, I was actually going to stop playing football,” Ferguson said. “There was a lot of pressure and I wasn’t getting the results that I really wanted.

“The school I was at up in Philly, they ran the ball like 95 percent of the time.”

The talented wide receiver finished his sophomore season with a total of 14 receptions. “I had doubts about continuing to play.”

Ferguson would visit his father, Jason, in Florida in the summers and during the time between his sophomore and junior years, the two started talking about Justin moving down to Florida.

“It wasn’t something that just happened out of the blue. It was something we had talked about for a while,” Jason said. “On one of those summer vacation visits, we just happened to be talking in the car one day.

“I said, ‘If you’re ready to make that move, let’s call your mother and talk about it.’”

Justin did call his mother, and after a 45-minute phone conversation, she approved the move.

“We came to the conclusion that moving down here would be the best thing for me,” Justin said.

It was definitely a sacrifice on his mother’s part.

“I lived with her all of my life,” Justin said. “When I was up there, it was only me and my mom. She’s living by herself right now.”

Justin returned home for a couple of weeks before moving to Pembroke Pines, Fla., the summer before his junior year, and has only been able to visit her once since, but he stays in touch with her through several phone calls.

“She’s a real strong woman and I commend her for that,” said Justin.

Jason still has a very good relationship with Justin’s mother, who had no problem entrusting him with her son.

“She understood he was getting to that point,” said Jason. “His other two brothers were already down here. She knew I had the best of intentions and we have a great relationship.

“He was getting to that point in his life as a teenager where we needed to be closer together to groom him for the next level.”

Justin saw football as a driving force for the move.

“The real reason moving down here was for the opportunity to get scouted down here,” he said. ““I think I always had potential, I always had the right mindset. I always wanted to go Division I, but my work ethic wasn’t where it is now. When I came down here, I wasn’t going to let the opportunity pass. I knew what I had to do and I just got that done.”

But Jason was able to see a bigger picture.

“I wouldn’t even say it was 100 percent a football change,” Mr. Ferguson said. “I think he was like, ‘I’m ready for a change. I’m ready for a new scene, a new environment. I’m getting to that point.’ It just happened to work out that way where he came and it was a perfect storm, perfect timing. He could have very well stayed with his mom and finished out his last two years, which he would have been happy with.”

That perfect storm consisted of Justin’s mental and physical maturity, combined with an offense that would feature his talents, a fertile location for college scouts along with the efforts behind the scenes of his father and stepmother.

“I knew if he played to the level he was capable of playing at, I knew he would get some recognition,” Jason said. “But honestly, I don’t think he would be at the level he’s at now had it not been for some of the strategic moves done by his stepmom in terms of contacting the right people in the media locally.”

Cheretha Ferguson made sure all of the media members received all of the statistics and relevant information on Justin and also created and maintained a Facebook page loaded with as much information as possible. Meanwhile, Jason contacted some people he knew with connections at ESPN Rise and Nike combines, who promised to keep their eyes out for his son.

“He could be here playing great, but if no one knows he’s here, he could slip through the cracks,” Jason said. “He gave us something to work with and we took that and ran with it.”

Justin would certainly gave them plenty to work with.

lowayne
06-06-2011, 03:27 PM
JF was already my nomination for most intriguing prospect this year. This article at the same time adds intrigue and removes it. :)

lowayne
06-08-2011, 03:14 PM
#75 overall in debut ESPN 150.

This one actually seems high to me although I really like JF.

MoreManti5
06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
This kid possesses one of the best blends of speed, size and strength this class has to offer. Ferguson is a load of a wide receiver that is physical, fast and very productive. He reminds us of Darick Rogers from the 2010 class both in stature and style. Is tall, thick and well built. With further time in the weightroom he could really be an imposing figure. His hands, arm extension away from his body and concentration to track the deep ball are all excellent. He is a difficult one-on-one matchup on the jump ball with his height, long wingspan, timing and leaping skills. Knows how to muscle his way through coverage and position himself between the ball and the defender. He attacks the ball at its highest point and is a competitor for the football, but what stands out is the fact he does not have win many jump ball situations on deep routes due to his speed to run by people. Release is consistently fast warranting a cushion, but he still shows the separation speed needed to get behind defenders on vertical routes and make the over-the-should grab look easy. Knows how to use the cushion to run off defenders and create space on outs and comeback routes as well. For a taller, thicker receiver, he does a good job sinking his hips into his cuts to accelerate and create separation out of his breaks. Ability to keeps his speed at the top of his stem on intermediate post and corner routes is equally impressive. After the catch he flashes nice burst and the second gear needed to split the seam; top-end speed is excellent. Ferguson is not always quick-twitch in his ability to accelerate, in fact he will climb the ladder at times, but once he opens his gate he can really go given his size. He is difficult to tackle in the open field due to his size and strength and is more elusive and galloping than he is sudden. Ferguson will likely end up being one of the top WR's in the 2012 class and few possess his combination of size and speed.

ESPN.com Evaluation - Rated: 81

NotreDameNate
06-09-2011, 12:05 AM
ESPN.com Evaluation - Rated: 81

That last line from ESPN is a pretty big statement.

NDroc9
06-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Ummmmm.... Am I mistaken, or is this the very same WR that people were questioning because of his speed???? Sounded like espn was raving about his speed!

Purebred Irishman
07-01-2011, 06:15 PM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/5011-ferguson-excited-about-opening

Justin Ferguson had never heard of The Opening, but he was very excited when he heard he had been invited to join a group of other elite prospects in Beaverton, Ore., from July 5-9th.

“It was an honor,” the 6-foot-2, 205-pound receiver from Pembroke Pines Fla., said. “They didn’t tell me, they told my parents and then my parents called me and said they had some big news for me. I was excited about it. I told my coaches and they were excited about it too. Everybody is excited and happy for me.

“It’s my first time ever hearing about it, but my dad said he’d heard about it.”

Ferguson, who committed to Notre Dame back in May, said he can’t wait to go.

“I think it’s going to be something really good for me,” said Ferguson. “It’s definitely going to get me better because I’ll be going against some of the elite players in the country. Depending on how I do against them, it’s going to show me how much better I need to get.

“They said they’re flying me out on the fifth. I’m going to be there until the 10th. They’re going to have us doing different drills, training us in the 40 and SPARQ training. They’re pretty much going to educate us and work us out a little bit and then we’re going to have a little tournament.”

Ferguson has been told that, “They’re going to get everybody involved just to get everybody better.”

Ferguson hasn’t been told whether there will be any NFL players on hand, but said, “I figured there are going to be a couple. That would be neat to get to talk to those guys and get them to coach us up a little bit too.”

Whether there will be NFL athletes on hand or not, Ferguson will be seeing future teammates as Notre Dame commits Tee Shepard, Deontay Greenberry, Mark Harrell and David Perkins will also be there.

“It’ll be good for us to have a chance to bond with each other before we actually go up to Notre Dame,” Ferguson said.

He added that he would welcome the challenge of going against Shepard in one-on-one drills or during the 7-on-7 tournament.

“There’s going to be a whole lot of that when we get up to Notre Dame, so it’ll be cool to get a head start and get a little taste of it,” Ferguson laughed.

IrishFan123
07-10-2011, 12:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6753478

The Opening comes to a close

Purebred Irishman
07-14-2011, 06:07 PM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/5064-ferguson-learns-from-the-greatest

Since moving down to Florida a year ago, Justin Ferguson has formed a very good relationship with his high school coaches at Flanagan High School in Pembroke Pines, Fla., but nobody could blame the 6-foot-2, 205-pound wide receiver for listening to one of his coaches at The Opening last week in Oregon.

Fortunately, the messages he received from the greatest receiver ever were the same ones his high school coaches have been hammering into him.

“Jerry Rice was the main coach I learned from,” the Notre Dame wide receiver commitment said of his time at The Opening. “He’s an all-time legend, so being coached by him was real cool. He was telling us a lot of things. A lot of the things he said were repetitive because my high school coach has taught me a lot. It was nice to have the experience.

“Me and my high school coach have a good relationship. He’s telling me a lot of things that will definitely benefit me. If I hear things over and over again, I think, ‘Yeah, that’s probably the right thing. I should do that.’”

While learning from Rice was one of the highlights of the trip, it wasn't the only one. Ferguson caught both touchdowns to help Team Alpha Talon win the 7-ON championship game.

“It was crazy,” Ferguson said of his performance in the final. “I knew what I had to do to get my team to that point. I went out with that drive and a lot effort.”

But the most important part of the trip was probably the bond he formed with his future teammates, Tee Shepard, Deontay Greenberry and David Perkins.

“It was crazy,” said Ferguson, who met Shepard at Notre Dame’s spring game, but didn’t meet the others until arriving in Oregon. “It was like we’re already brothers. We’re going to keep in contact.

“I think it was real important because we’ve already built that bond before we even get there. It was fun. We were with each other most of the time, me, Tee, David and Deontay.”

Before having to leave each other after saying bye 30 times, according to Ferguson and Perkins, the new friends made plans to reconvene in South Bend for Notre Dame’s game against USC in October.

“We decided that on the trip,” said Ferguson. “We’re all going to go up there that weekend.”
Ferguson also formed a friendship with an uncommitted prospect, Florida cornerback Tracy Howard.

“He was my roommate,” Ferguson said of Howard. “I was working on him trying to see where his thoughts about ND were. I think I put in a pretty good word. I just want him to take a visit up there to see how it really is.”

Overall, Ferguson had a great time in Oregon.

“It was fun getting coached up by a lot of the top athletes in the NFL and going against the top athletes in the country,” he said. “It was a good experience. It gave me a chance to figure out what level I’m at and what I need to improve on and what I’m good at. It showed me where I should be and where I’m at. I think I’ve got a real good idea of what I need to work on.”

Ferguson is back to work already on the field and off the field as he’s hoping to enroll at Notre Dame in January.

“I want to, but I need to see how the summer plays out with these classes I’m taking now,” he said of the possibility of enrolling early. “I’m shooting to graduate early. It’s going to be a challenge, but I’m ready for that.”

NDisNCin2010
07-14-2011, 07:22 PM
say a prayer in the grotto that he stays committed to us as the national exposure, hype, accolades and therefore subsequent poachers begin to call on young Justin clouding his impressionable mind.

domehead1
07-14-2011, 09:44 PM
say a prayer in the grotto that he stays committed to us as the national exposure, hype, accolades and therefore subsequent poachers begin to call on young Justin clouding his impressionable mind.

Thinking of this kinda makes me wanna throw up a little bit.

DirtySecret
07-14-2011, 10:18 PM

What is this suppose to mean?

Synoptico
07-15-2011, 09:19 AM

He already had big time offers prior to this, now the media is just catching up.

wicket
07-15-2011, 12:04 PM

Dont like him as a prospect so i shall do no such thing

step30044
07-15-2011, 12:53 PM

I am curious as to what you dont like about him Wicket? All the reports and articles I've point to him being a real player.

ChicagoIrish
07-15-2011, 01:35 PM
wicket is on record about this earlier in this thread:

http://www.goldhelmet.com/showpost.php?p=273444&postcount=41

Synoptico
07-15-2011, 03:43 PM

Honest question for you Wicket, doesn't doing well against top competition recently ease this worry?

I understand that you are underwhelmed by his speed, which is primarily why you are "blah" about him and his speed doesn't change with camp performance.

JDriveSthND
07-15-2011, 03:47 PM
People took issue with Michael Floyd's speed coming out of high school too. Picking him up has worked out pretty well for ND.

stonebreakerwasgod
07-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Y'all worry too much. LOL
BK and staff have proven to be very good closers.

step30044
07-15-2011, 07:30 PM
wicket is on record about this earlier in this thread:

http://www.goldhelmet.com/showpost.php?p=273444&postcount=41

Thanks ChicagoIrish

WhatDaND
08-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Wicket :clown:, my man you need help. I don't know where you got your info from but it's not right. I see this kid as a great pick up for ND. When he played Lakeland, one of the top teams in the state he had 3TD in that game. At the Nike 7 on he had the only 2TD in the championship game. And that was playing with some of the best players from the ESPN 150. So I would say you need to do a bit of research before you get on this site with all the BS.

CincyDamer
08-05-2011, 05:53 PM
^ welcome whatdand

Very excited about justin. Ill take his impressive offer list and many evaluations about his potential and flying under the radar any day of the week!

PDOGEMP
08-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game.

JDNDSyrnafan
08-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Wicket :clown:, my man you need help. I don't know where you got your info from but it's not right. I see this kid as a great pick up for ND. When he played Lakeland, one of the top teams in the state he had 3TD in that game. At the Nike 7 on he had the only 2TD in the championship game. And that was playing with some of the best players from the ESPN 150. So I would say you need to do a bit of research before you get on this site with all the BS.

Swinging. Nice first post!

IrishinTN
08-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Personally i can't wait to see this kid don the gold helmet. After his play in the 7 on 7, seems pretty obvious he is for real.

rontdtarchala
08-05-2011, 08:45 PM
I too was quite impressed with him... looking forward to seeing what he can do on the field

doogerfuji
08-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Ron,
Keep posting. When we don't hear from you we begin to wonder.

zimmsbg78
08-10-2011, 09:05 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting (free)

Justin Ferguson was just trying to fit in last year.

Before committing to Notre Dame, the 6-foot-2, 205-pound receiver had to commit to his Flanagan High School team. Ferguson moved from Philadelphia down to Pembroke Pines, Fla., last summer with the hopes of getting a chance to be productive and impress college scouts.

Ferguson burst on the scene, catching 44 passes for 953 yards and 12 touchdowns, helping Flanagan to a 7-4 record and within one game of the district title. In the process, Ferguson collected offers from around the country, before eventually settling on the Irish.

Now, with one major goal out of the way, Ferguson turns his attention back to his high school team.

“We started on Monday, double-sessions right out of the gate,” Ferguson said. “We have a couple triple-sessions also, but doubles go for about two weeks.”

Ferguson has missed the game, but not as much as he used to when he was in the Northeast.

“Down here we have spring ball, so the wait’s not as long as I’m used to, but it’s been a couple of months, so I’m ready to put the shoulder pads on,” he said. “I’m excited. I want to make sure I’m prepared for the season coming up.”

Ferguson will take his official visit to Notre Dame for the USC game on Oct. 22nd, but is more focused on a lofty goal for his Flanagan squad.

“I think we’re going to be pretty good this year,” he said. “I think we have a real good shot at being the district champs. The team is looking very good. We came very close last year and I think we’ll be very successful this year.”

He’s planning on being more assertive after finding where he fit in as the new kid last season.

“I feel a lot more comfortable,” said Ferguson. “I feel I’m definitely a leader and a captain. A lot of the guys look up to me. I want to lead the guys the right way and make sure everybody is on the same level and working very hard to get to where we need to be.

“I don’t think I was really able to be a leader last year. I was the new guy and didn’t want to come in and have people think I was trying to show off. I didn’t want to put myself in that position, so I just came in and did what I had to do. This year, everybody knows who I am and I think they respect me more as a leader.”

While Ferguson says he’s more comfortable, he only means that in one respect.

“I never want to get comfortable,” he said. “I definitely want to keep playing as if I’m still that new guy. Anybody can just come in and take my spot. I still feel like I have to prove myself. I don’t want to get comfortable, but I do feel more comfortable with my team.”

Ferguson is ready to sacrifice personal goals for his team and sounds excited about the prospect of receiving extra attention because of the scholarship offers.

“If teams are going to throw everything they have on defense at me, we have so many other threats on offense that they’ll have to defend,” he said. “If they’re going to focus on me, let them focus on me, I’m going to do my best, but they’re going to have to deal with a whole lot more.”

Still, Ferguson does have his own personal achievements he’s aiming for, even with a new quarterback and a possibly scaled-down offense.

“Personally, my one goal is to break 1,000 receiving yards,” he said. “With the new offensive system we have, that may not be able to happen. If that can’t happen, I want to have at least 1,500 all-purpose yards. I also want to beat the record for receptions at my school, it’s at 56.”

After working hard in the offseason, Ferguson was schooled on the mental part of the game at The Opening in Oregon and is ready to share what he learned.

“I do feel like I’m a better player,” he said. “Everything I learned from there, I try to put it into the way I play now and I try to share it with my other teammates so they can all have the knowledge I learned.”

Ferguson will cap his high school career at the Semper Fidelis Bowl in Phoenix on Jan. 3rd.

stonebreakerwasgod
09-17-2011, 12:33 AM
CoreyLong (http://twitter.com/#!/CoreyLong)Corey Long
by ISDUpdate

Justin Ferguson says he's stop answering calls from other schools and will be taking his official to Notre Dame for the USC game.

Domer Dog
09-17-2011, 09:25 AM
by ISDUpdate

Justin Ferguson says he's stop answering calls from other schools and will be taking his official to Notre Dame for the USC game.

I like this kid's commitment and the way he handles things. I don't like it when kid's commit and continue to play the game. It shows their lack of sincerity, and if they are truly committed, it's not fair to the other coaches bringing them in. I know some will say it is their right, but people's actions affect other people, and the cost of flying a number of kids in who really are not interested just to spend more time and money on them is wrong. That money can go to help other sports or academic programs, and the process and that mindset just perpetutates the problems with many of these kids who are and always have been in it for themselves. In that regard, I really did like CW's comments about if you are looking, we are looking. The NCAA should just say that when you commit, you are not eligible for additional visits. If kids want to take their visits, go ahead, but you may end up like the DL from Chicago as other kids commit.

I may get bent after losing games we shouldn't (see last two weeks posts), but I will always support the school as long as they look to educate first.

Good for you Justin. You are a class act, and will do great at ND.

IrishFan123
10-04-2011, 08:44 PM
by ISDUpdate

Also says he gets letters from Bama everyday

PDOGEMP
10-20-2011, 07:26 PM
A request from Mr. Ferguson:
"To all irish fans attending the USC game: One of you guys should make a sign that says "Ferg Will Be Here Soon" "

now i know they wont let you bring in signs but maybe put it on a cloth and fold it up in ur pocket (best to keep it towel size)and bring it or paint it on your chest.

PDOGEMP
10-20-2011, 07:26 PM
The last time Justin Ferguson visited Notre Dame he figured out that it was the place for him.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound receiver from Pembroke Pines, Fla., (Flanagan) was blown away by his visit for Notre Dame’s spring game and made it official two weeks later when he offered the Irish his verbal commitment. Ferguson will return to South Bend for his official visit this weekend for Notre Dame’s game against USC.

“I’m so excited,” he said. “I can’t wait to go up there. I want to pick back up where I left off my last visit.”

Ferguson met several fellow commitments during his initial visit to Notre Dame and has continued to build a solid relationship with Ronald Darby while seeing fellow Irish pledges Tee Shepard, Deontay Greenberry and David Perkins at The Opening in Oregon over the summer.

“Ronald is not going to be there, but I’ve talked to Tee, David and Deontay,” Ferguson said. “We’re all excited.”

Ferguson believes the mingling with the members of the Irish’s next recruiting class will give them a head start for their collegiate careers.

“We have to keep building that bond,” he said. “We already started from our last visit and The Opening. We’re still talking, not every day, but a lot. We’re just going to continue building that bond so that when we get there we’ll have that thing so that we’re all on the same page when we get there.”

In addition to strengthening the relationships with his classmates, Ferguson is hoping to start forging new ones with some of the current members of Notre Dame’s football squad.

“I haven’t really got the chance to meet them, but I’m going to be with them the next couple of years also,” he said. “I definitely want to get a chance to meet them and see what they’re about.”

And, perhaps most importantly to Irish fans, Ferguson will be trying to add members to the incoming class with a large group of uncommitted targets also scheduled to be on campus.

“Whoever is there, we’re going to try to show them how important it’s going to be for them to be there for the next four or five years,” he said.

Ferguson was disappointed with Notre Dame’s two losses to start the season, but hasn’t been surprised by the current four-game winning streak.

“It’s not exactly what I expected, but after the first couple of losses, it was pretty much what I expected,” he said of the first half of the Irish’s season. “Both of the losses they had, they played really well, they just didn’t get the ball in the end zone. After those two losses, I knew they were going to come out and keep battling and get the wins. I like what they’re doing on defense and on offense.”

Ferguson has been particularly impressed with the play of Michael Floyd.

“He’s amazing,” Ferguson said. “I didn’t get a chance to watch all of the games, but I watched the highlights. He’s doing his thing. Those are going to be some big shoes to fill, but I think I can do it.”

Ferguson, who was visited by Irish assistant Tony Alford last week, is looking to finish his senior season strong after a couple of tough losses.

“We lost to the number two team in the state and number 14 team in the state and we had a shot to beat both of them,” he said. “We’re doing good, we’ve just got to get the ball in the end zone. I think we can really relate our problems to what ND was going through in the beginning of the season.”

IrishFan123
10-22-2011, 10:21 AM
5 recs, 200 yards and 2 TDs last night

IrishFan123
11-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Alford will visit Wed

IrishFan123
11-30-2011, 05:47 PM
WR commit Justin Ferguson RT @FergYola The date is set , I will be in South Bend for good on.. June 7th.

Purebred Irishman
12-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Ferguson Preps For All-Star Games (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/6208-ferguson-preps-for-all-star-games)

Justin Ferguson’s senior season at Flanagan High School (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) didn’t end the way he wanted it to, but the Notre Dame wide receiver commit will get another chance to play as a high-schooler before he gets to South Bend for good.

Flanagan finished the year with a winning record, but Ferguson was hoping for more than a 6-5 season. He’ll get an opportunity for more when he plays in the inaugural Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl in Phoenix on Jan. 3rd and then the USA vs. The World Game in Austin, Texas on National Signing Day a month later.

“That’s one of the biggest things,” Ferguson said. “Our team didn’t have a postseason so I didn’t really get to do much after the season ended.

“I’m real excited. The most fun part is going to be meeting up with the guys like Tee (Shepard) and Deontay (Greenberry). I’m not sure if anyone else is going, but it’s going to be fun going against those guys and getting an extra game.”

Ferguson has grown close to his fellow Irish commitments and isn’t worried about the California cousins keeping their pledges to Notre Dame despite taking official visits to Arizona State and USC.

“I know those guys are solid,” Ferguson said of Shepard and Greenberry. “They just wanted to visit other schools to have that experience.”

The trio has exchanged in some playful trash talk already, but it’s been limited.

“We’ve talked a little bit here and there, but not too much,” said Ferguson.

Fellow Notre Dame commits Mark Harrell, Ronnie Stanley and Sheldon Day will also be in Phoenix for the game. And anyone who isn’t committed who is considering the Irish will be hearing from Ferguson.

“I haven’t looked at the list yet, but I’m definitely going to be putting some work in,” Ferguson laughed.

“I think it’ll be a good time.”

The game will be aired live on the CBS Sports Network.

“We’re playing the day after the Fiesta Bowl,” said Ferguson. “It’s going to be good. It’s going to be fun, especially because I haven’t been on that type of stage in front of that many people. It should be a good experience.”

Greenberry, Shepard and Harrell are scheduled to join Ferguson and fellow Irish commit Ronald Darby in the USA vs. The World Game on Feb. 1st.

While Ferguson is looking ahead to the game, he’s also looking forward to starting his collegiate career at Notre Dame and Irish head coach Brian Kelly stopped by for an in-home visit a couple weeks ago. Kelly went to Ferguson’s school and to his home.

“He met a couple of my teachers,” Ferguson said of Kelly. “He just wanted to come check up on me and see how everything is going.

“Some of my friends were astonished and a couple of my teachers were excited about the chance to meet him.”

Ferguson enjoyed having the opportunity to host his future coach at his house as well.

“It was exciting to get a chance to actually sit down without having the hype of everybody and get a chance to talk about any questions me or my parents had so we know what we’re looking forward to in a couple of months,” said Ferguson.

One of the questions Ferguson had was what uniform number he’d be issued. The wideout was pleased to hear he’d be able to wear the same #15 jersey he’s worn in high school. Ferguson also asked about travel information for when he finally does enroll and the possibility of returning to South Bend for the spring game in April.

IrishFan123
12-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Free Link: Friday East squad Semper Fi bowl top 5, notes (http://247sports.com/Article/Free-Link-Friday-East-squad-Semper-Fi-bowl-top-5-notes-54992)

Flanagan (Fla.) wide receiver Justin Ferguson was solid all day today. He was able to continuously find the soft spot in the defense and used his great hands to reel in any pass thrown his direction. As timing continues to improve, Ferguson could emerge from this group as one of the top prospects from the event.

HoffVir
06-15-2012, 02:07 PM
$c* A1 Ferg ▲ ‏@FergYola
Indiana, im here!!
2:01 PM - 15 Jun 12

NDAlumSon
06-15-2012, 11:51 PM
I think he's hot coal walker.

Purebred Irishman
06-16-2012, 04:52 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/notre-dame-football/post/_/id/7055/qa-with-justin-ferguson

Justin Ferguson's father, Jason, called his son's decision to pick Notre Dame a "no-brainer." Throw in the defection of receiver recruit Deontay Greenberry to Houston, and the opportunity will be there for Justin to earn early playing time. With Justin (Pembroke Pines, Fla./Flanagan) expected to arrive with other members of the Irish's 2012 recruiting class on Sunday, father and son were scheduled to embark on the more than 1,300-mile drive to South Bend, Ind., on Thursday. Earlier this week, Justin spoke with ESPN.com about the move.

Any bucket list before you go during your last free week to be a kid?

Justin Ferguson: Nothing I haven't done already, I want to just get there. I've got to focus, get serious. Football and school for me. So I'm just going to enjoy these last couple of days still free and then just going to get there and be ready to grind.

What are the feelings right now? How's your family dealing with it?

JF: Everyone's just excited for me. My family, friends, close friends -- everyone's just excited. They're all in my corner just to cheer me on.

Do you know what you're going to major in yet?

JF: Business management.

How much have you been in touch with other members of class?

JF: The only guys I really got a chance to meet personally, on a face-to-face level, none of them are going to Notre Dame anymore. Tee [Shepard], Deontay, they're not going anymore. But I've been in contact with most of the guys -- Nick [Baratti] and William [Mahone]. I haven't got to meet everyone.

What about the guys that are there now, Sheldon Day and Gunner Kiel? Have you talked to them about what the transition is going to be like?

JF: Gunner I haven't talked to. I talked to Sheldon once or twice, but I haven't really gotten a chance to talk to them in-depth.

This class obviously took a hit at the wide receiver spot. How do you plan on taking advantage of the opportunity for early playing time?

JF: I just want to come in and contribute to the team the best way I can. If that's playing the slot, if that's outside receiver, if I have to tackle -- anything.

Do you know what your jersey number will be yet?

JF: 15.

Any significance?

JF: I wanted 81. I'm a huge T.O. fan. I like T.O. a lot, him and Dez Bryant. I like 81, but [John Goodman] has that, so that's off-limits. But 15 was my high school number. I made a big impact at my high school, so I just want to take that with me.

Any family ties to Notre Dame? How did they ultimately come into the picture?

JF: Location wasn't really a big part in my [decision], because I know wherever I go my family will be behind me either way, so that wasn't really a big part. But the biggest thing was I think it was the right place at the right time. They lost a couple receivers and they needed someone to come in, and I can definitely be that guy.

HoffVir
09-15-2012, 06:53 PM
In case he gets on the field tonight ...

Irish Sports Daily ‏@ISDUpdate
ND's Justin Ferguson makes the permanent switch from No. 15 to No. 82 for tonight's game.
6:47 PM - 15 Sep 12

EDIT: I just remember that ND got a penalty against Purdue for having two #15s on the field at the same time. This is probably just temporary for this year so they can keep him and Dan McCarthy on the field at the same time.

HoffVir
03-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Jason Sapp ‏@BGI_JasonSapp
BREAKING: WR Justin Ferguson decides to transfer from #NotreDame. All the details inside... (VIP) http://bit.ly/Zw4lKK #ND #Irish
9:50 AM - 27 Mar 13

stew654
03-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Well we got more scholies to give, we need to land some top WR's one thing we have been missing on

TJimmy
03-27-2013, 10:16 AM
What in the world is going on?? Is BK cleaning house??
Why are these WR choosing something, anything else than ND?? Crazy.

HoffVir
03-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Irish Sports Daily ‏@ISDUpdate
BK: I'm not getting into the specifics of why they've transferred.
10:13 AM - 27 Mar 13

... with that being said ...

Ferguson Gone Too
Wednesday, 27 March 2013 09:00 Christian McCollum

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/images/resized/images/stories/2012_recruits/justinfergusondb_200_200.jpg

Just hours after a report that sophomore wide receiver Davonte' Neal will be transferring from Notre Dame, Irish Sports Daily can confirm that sophomore wide receiver Justin Fergsuon is also leaving school.

Ferguson's father, Jason, confirmed the news with Irish Sports Daily on Wednesday morning.

“From what he told me, it was just a personal decision that he made,” Jason Ferguson said. “He’ll be home on Sunday, so I’ll have a chance to sit with him and get into more details and see what is going on.

“He came home for spring break and I told him, ‘Go, check it out and make sure it’s the right decision and call me back,’” the older Ferguson said. “He said, ‘You know, what I think I’m going to do this.’”

Jason Ferguson said there is no bad blood between the two sides and it was just a personal decision his son decided to make rather than a dispute over playing time or something.

“I talked with Coach (Tony) Alford and those guys and it seems like there wasn’t an issue with that stuff, so I don’t know,” his father said. “Kids, they’re young men and they have to grow up really fast.

“I talked with Coach Alford. I just wanted to make sure there were no issues going on. They made me feel very comfortable that there were no issues with playing time or anything of that nature. Having the relationship that I have with those guys, I felt good that it was a mutual thing. There’s no bad blood. I think he’ll be fine.”

Ferguson, who played sparingly as a freshman in 2012, hasn't decided his next move yet, but his father said he'll likely revisit some of the schools he looked at during the recruiting process.

“Being the type of parent that I am, I let him make his own decisions,” his father said. “I hope he’s making the right decision, but at some point you have to start making tough decisions and this is one of those tough decisions he has to make. I told him I’m here to support him.”

Ferguson's transfer is the third this spring for the Irish along with Neal and quarterback Gunner Kiel.

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/football/football-articles/8959-fergsuon-gone-too

domehead1
03-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Sigh. Whatever happened to the father/son conversation...of "boy...you made the decision stick with it...suck it up...and go get it done"?

eric_navy
03-27-2013, 11:03 AM
If we count Greenberry, BK's 3 best receiver recruits and highest rated QB recruit will be somewhere besides ND next year.

To have such a pass-happy offense, we don't seem to have much luck recruiting and keeping QB's and WR's.

Also, of all the recent transfers I can think of, only one (Kiel) was likely related to playing time. Ferguson and Neal both played as freshmen. Lynch was freshman AA. Neal has a small child and we thought at one time that Lynch soon would as well, but so did Cierre and David Bruton. Graduating from ND would have been a far better option in the long run for all these guys except possibly Kiel.

stew654
03-27-2013, 11:27 AM
More to come??

LOVEMYIRISH
03-27-2013, 11:51 PM
This feels awkward...wish I knew more.

SouthernIrish
03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
If we count Greenberry, BK's 3 best receiver recruits and highest rated QB recruit will be somewhere besides ND next year.

To have such a pass-happy offense, we don't seem to have much luck recruiting and keeping QB's and WR's.

Also, of all the recent transfers I can think of, only one (Kiel) was likely related to playing time. Ferguson and Neal both played as freshmen. Lynch was freshman AA. Neal has a small child and we thought at one time that Lynch soon would as well, but so did Cierre and David Bruton. Graduating from ND would have been a far better option in the long run for all these guys except possibly Kiel.

This might be more a reflection of "recruiting rankings" rather than anything to do with BK. Maybe, maybe not but my guess is they either 1) weren't better than other guys ahead of them or 2) they weren't a good fit for ND.

BigIrish
03-28-2013, 09:38 AM
So far, I don't see any transfers that are all that surprising...

Kiel sees QB situation that sandwiches him between two mobile talents and figures he doesn't want to wait until he's a senior to find out his opportunity passed him by. By virtually all accounts, Lynch was either homesick, a sociopath, or both, and generally speaking, didn't appear to be a good fit at ND. (Don't know if anyone paid attention, but Lynch also dropped 18 pounds in the offseason and now sits at 244. How's that for a d-lineman?) Neal has a new baby. If you're a parent, you get why Neal left to be closer to his kid. If you're not, you'll get it if you ever have kids. So that leaves Ferguson, who hasn't distinguished himself from the pack of unproven receivers, which incidentally, seems to be taking tryouts from the defensive side of the ball, as well as the basketball team. The simplest answer is that Ferguson probably thinks he can more easily make a name for himself somewhere else.

Domer Dog
03-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Agreed. I think there is a little more to Neal as his father discussed the possibility of her moving to South Bend, and then him going to a school in California, so it may be he just didn't like South Bend in the winter. Agreed on Ferguson. Too bad, I really liked the kid, but when you hear BK talk about Procise and how fast he's come along, and his praise for Robinson and James (didn't want to go with the last name), it looked like the opportunity for early PT for Justin appeared to be waning.

lowayne
03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Agreed. I think there is a little more to Neal as his father discussed the possibility of her moving to South Bend, and then him going to a school in California, so it may be he just didn't like South Bend in the winter. Agreed on Ferguson. Too bad, I really liked the kid, but when you hear BK talk about Procise and how fast he's come along, and his praise for Robinson and James (didn't want to go with the last name), it looked like the opportunity for early PT for Justin appeared to be waning.

I wouldn't read too much into Neal. Moving to a new place as a teenage mother is pretty daunting, mostly because that means being far away from the support system that friends and family provide.

jerseyborn1971
04-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Saw his resume on Careerbuilder today. Poor kid needs a job.

lowayne
04-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Saw his resume on Careerbuilder today. Poor kid needs a job.

Did you come across it or is it being linked on around on the web?

HoffVir
07-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Tyler James ‏@TJamesNDI
Former #NotreDame WR Justin Ferguson indicates on Instagram that he will be transferring to Western Michigan.
1:51 PM - 12 Jul 13

JDriveSthND
07-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Tyler James ‏@TJamesNDI
Former #NotreDame WR Justin Ferguson indicates on Instagram that he will be transferring to Western Michigan.
1:51 PM - 12 Jul 13

Wow! Didn't see that one coming.

HoffVir
07-13-2013, 08:44 PM
I figured a Florida school for sure.

LOVEMYIRISH
07-14-2013, 11:32 PM
I figured a Florida school for sure.

better doobage there