PDA

View Full Version : '12 OH RB Will Mahone (9/30/11 Notre Dame LOI)

irishunclebill
01-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Running Back
Austintown Fitch High School (Austintown, OH)

Links of Interest:
Rivals Profile (http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Will-Mahone-112593)

Height: 5 foot-11
Weight: 205 lbs.
Forty: 4.65
Bench Max: 275 lbs.
Squat Max: 445 lbs.
Shuttle: 4.58
Vertical: 35 in.
GPA: 3.2

Multimedia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFd4p-3mK1c&feature=player_embedded

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.php/view-profile.html?task=userProfile&user=3850&name=falcon13

Mahone trekked from Ohio to Yankee Stadium to watch the Irish play Army last Fall. He also took in games at PSU & scUM, and attended the UA Junior Combine earlier this month. Mahone has offers from Cincy and Bowling Green, and is also hearing from UVA, WVU, IU, Nebraska, pOSU, Oregon, Syracuse, Wisconsin, LSU, Texas A&M, Tennessee, USC, Alabama, Iowa, and Boston College.

zimmsbg78
02-03-2011, 10:33 AM
IUB, here is Mahone's ScoutingOhio.com's profile page..................http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.php/view-profile.html?task=userProfile&user=3850&name=falcon13

Multimedia included. Junior year highlights.

piyachi
02-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Kelly said he wanted to recruit playmakers... if this kid isn't the definition of that, I don't know who is. Pretty much anywhere he was lined up on the field he was simply dominant.

zimmsbg78
02-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Boston College has verbally offered.

zimmsbg78
02-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Add another one...........MSU has verbally offered Mahone.

zimmsbg78
02-15-2011, 01:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6123852

William Mahone, RB (Youngstown, Ohio/Austintown Fitch)

He has offers from Boston College, Bowling Green and Michigan State and is also hearing from USC, Oregon, Virginia, UCLA, Syracuse, Stanford and Texas A&M. Mahone said Penn State is close to offering and Texas is his current leader. He will take in junior days later this month at Michigan State and in early March at Cincinnati.

zimmsbg78
02-18-2011, 02:01 PM
West Virginia has verbally offered.

irishunclebill
03-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Offered today per BGI.

http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Ohio-running-back-Will-Mahone-receives-Notre-Dame-offer-17114

Mahone Receives Notre Dame Offer
Will Biggers

Youngstown, Ohio, running back William Mahone has informed BlueandGold.com of his new status with the Irish.

"Notre Dame just offered today," Mahone said via text.

The 5-11, 205-pound Fitch High player also has offers in hand from Boston College, Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Illinois, Indiana, Miami (OH), Michigan State, Penn State and West Virginia.

IrishCalves
03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
A different type of runner than most of our other RB offers this year. Closer to the Hughes/Roberson mold than the McDaniel/Wood/Riddick profile.

morrdave9
03-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Just watched his film, I like it. A one-cut-and-go type of runner who runs downhill with good balance. Shows good hands too as a receiver. Would like to see him and Marshall as our RBs this class.

Jiggafini19
03-03-2011, 10:55 PM
I like the offer. Spread or not, you need a back like this on your roster.

If ND takes two RB this cycle, an offer like this one is a great move on their part.

zimmsbg78
03-07-2011, 09:29 AM
http://notredame.scout.com/2/1053744.html (free)

Days after landing an offer from Northwestern, Youngstown, Ohio three-star RB William Mahone reflects on his offer and the Wildcats.

William Mahone’s versatility playing on both sides of the ball is what makes him one of the most sought after players in the state of Ohio. The junior recently added two more offers to an already impressive list of suitors.
Mahone received an offer from Northwestern this past week and the running back says he feels “really good” about it.

Thus far, Mahone has offers from Northwestern along with Boston College, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Penn State, West Virginia, and others.

While he’s still learning about Northwestern, Mahone says he could definitely see himself suiting up for Pat Fitzgerald’s Wildcats.

“When I talked to (NU offensive line coach) Coach Cushing, he gave me a lot of insight on Coach Fitzgerald,” he said. “He’ll probably be there for the next five years, for sure. I know he’s about Northwestern. He’s a coach that I could see myself playing for.”

Mahone has no favorites at this point, but as the offers continue to come in the junior says a factor in his decision will be based on whether or not the head coach is there throughout his collegiate career.

Coach Fitzgerald’s previous contract wasn’t set to expire until 2015, and this offseason he signed an extension to remain in Evanston beyond that date. So it’s a safe bet to say that Coach Fitzgerald won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.

“The fact that he’s about the program and that he’s been there for awhile is very appealing to me.”

“I want to go to school that wins; a school that has good tradition,” he said. I just want to go a school that fits me and my family the best and go from there.”

As a junior, Mahone accumulated nearly 700 yards on 81 touches and totaled 9 rushing touchdowns. On defense, the outside linebacker pulled in 5 interceptions for Fitch High.

At 6-foot, 205-pounds, Mahone is a durable back who knows how to finish games.

“I have good vision and I don’t wear out fast, he said. “In my biggest game last year I actually did most of my damage in the fourth quarter. I feel like I have great stamina. I have speed, it’s not like a 4.3 but I don’t get caught from behind.

The standout draws some comparisons to another Ohio native and former Northwestern back, Tyrell Sutton.

During Sutton’s senior season at Archbishop Hoban the running back amassed over 3,000 yards rushing with 38 touchdowns. As a young child, Mahone remembers watching Sutton dominate against Youngstown Ursuline in 2004. The future Wildcat ran for 505 yards and scored 8 times in that game.

“He’s a very hard runner, I like to run hard too,” Mahone said. “I was in 5th grade when I saw him. (Sutton) just kept his motor running the whole game.”

Ever since witnessing that record-setting game against Ursuline, Mahone says he followed Sutton’s career at Northwestern. The junior playmaker appreciates how the Wildcats run their offense.

“It’s a very versatile offense just like mine here in Ohio,” he said. “I like how they use their running backs. I’m just very impressed with Northwestern.”

Mahone plans to take the next step in the recruiting process with a visit to Northwestern at the end of this month.

stonebreakerwasgod
03-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Pitt offered.

zimmsbg78
04-15-2011, 09:36 AM
http://247sports.com/Article/National-Notes-Big-visitor-group--22227 (free)

Youngstown (Ohio) Fitch running back William Mahone visited Pittsburgh on Wednesday, his second trip to the Panthers campus in the past month. The likes of Pittsburgh, Iowa, Penn State, Boston College and West Virginia have offered Mahone.

zimmsbg78
05-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Before he trims his list Mahone plans to unofficially visit ND, Northwestern and Boston college during the summer. Pitt, West Virginia, MSU and State Penn will make the cut as Mahone has already unofficially visited those schools.

zimmsbg78
06-08-2011, 08:47 AM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1229137 (free)

One day after smooth-talking top linebacker prospect Nyeem Wartman, Penn State head coach Joe Paterno was back at it on Skype, making it known that Austintown (Ohio) running back William Mahone is Penn State's number one man in the backfield.

The 25 minute conversation touched on a variety of subjects, but one comment from Paterno in particular was what the Rivals100 member really wanted to hear.

"It definitely made me think a little more about Penn State," said Mahone. "He made it very clear that I'm their guy they want at running back. He said I'm one of their top prospects. Joe talked the whole time and he said they're just waiting on me to make my decision and then move on from there, whether I go there or somewhere else.

"They said I'm their guy at running back though, so I'm pretty happy with that."

The 5-foot-11, 205 pound prospect visited Pittsburgh last weekend and multiple recruiting analysts believe the Nittany Lions and Panthers have the edge as of now. However, that may change once Mahone hits the road in two weeks.

"The weekend of father's day, I'm making the rest of my visits. I'll be on a road trip to Notre Dame, Northwestern and Michigan State. I think after all these visits, I'll be able to narrow it down.

"I'm going to Penn State on June 25, for camp," said Mahone, adding that he's really interested in meeting Penn State running back coach Galen Hall. "I'm just participating on the second day."

zimmsbg78
06-15-2011, 09:05 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/4932-mahone-looking-at-slight-delay (free)

It doesn’t look like Will Mahone is going to be able to make it to Notre Dame this week as he previously planned, but the 5-foot-11, 196-pound running back from Fitch High School in Austintown, Ohio still plans on seeing the South Bend campus for the first time this month.

“I plan on going up to Notre Dame, Northwestern and Michigan State all in a couple of days,” said Mahone. “I think I might have to change my plans and come the weekend of the 25th and 26th. I’m trying to knock everything out in one week. That week of Father’s Day, I have to be back here on Wednesday to run our kids’ camp. It’s going to be soon. It’s going to be in June.”

Mahone is looking forward to checking out Notre Dame’s campus and also to meeting with the Irish coaches, especially Brian Kelly, Charley Molnar, Tim Hinton, Ed Warinner and Paul Longo.

“They’re going to give me a tour of the place and everything,” he said. “I’ll get a chance to talk with them and have a good time. I definitely want to talk to Coach Kelly, get some one-on-one time with him, me and my mom.”

Mahone camped at Michigan State as a sophomore and is already familiar with multiple members of the Spartan staff.

“have a good feel for Coach (Pat) Narduzzi, Coach (Brad) Salem and Coach (Mark) Dantonio,” said Mahone. “I talk to them on a regular basis. I’m just really trying to see the campus, I heard it’s beautiful.

“At Northwestern, I want to meet with Coach (Pat) Fitzgerald. I want to talk more with the running backs coach. He came in this year and we sat down and talked a little bit. I want to see the campus of course.”

Education is a high priority for Mahone, but that’s not something he’s concerned about with the three schools he plans to see this month.

“I know all of the schools are really high on academics,” he said. “I’m worried about it, but I’m not too worried about it.”

He’s hoping to make a trip to Boston College at some point this summer, but distance could make that difficult.

“Other than that, I don’t plan on going anywhere else,” he said. “I am going to Oregon in the beginning of July for The Opening. That’s it.”

Mahone was among some the nation’s top prospects to be invited to the Nike training competition in Beavertown, Ore., July 5-9.

Mahone plans on narrowing his list this summer before making an announcement.

“After I get these visits out of the way and clear my mind and pray about it, I’ll definitely cut it down and hopefully make a decision before the season,” he said. “I’ll cut it down anywhere from five to 10.”

morrdave9
06-15-2011, 09:45 AM
That may actually be better as there will be a lot of prospects at ND during those days and there will be a lot going on at campus.

Really hoping we can land 2 of K. Marshall, B. Marshall, Mahone, and Mathers.

IrishFan123
06-26-2011, 01:20 PM
On campus tomorrow

NotreDameNate
06-26-2011, 11:11 PM
I like his tape. Hopefully things can work out in ND's favor.

zimmsbg78
06-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Received a verbal offer from Tennessee this past Friday.

morrdave9
06-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Supposedly MSU is out now that just got a RB commit (can't remember the recruits name). Visit went very well for ND.

Irishsteelersfan
06-28-2011, 10:49 AM
I would assume it is a PSU ND battle then?

morrdave9
06-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Tenn, Pitt, Oregon, and WVU are other possibilities, but ND and PSU are probably out front.

mcbri014
07-20-2011, 02:32 AM
Faith and A Mother's Love Part 1 (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/5083-faith-a-a-mothers-love-part-i)

Celia Mahone wasn’t in a great place.

A single mother in her early-30s, Mahone was working two jobs, but wasn’t happy with the life she was living. One of the few things that brought her joy was her baby son, William.

“I did not know I would love him as much as I did,” said Mahone, who called her own mother to apologize for not realizing how much her mother loved her until she understood the love of a mother for herself.

Still, life was a struggle for mom and child in Atlanta and Celia had a pair of co-workers who could sense she was having a tough time.

“They knew I was upset many mornings,” said Celia. “They would talk to me and at lunch, they would give me the money I needed to pay the gas bill or the electric bill.”

The women were active members of a church, but Celia, who had been raised in a faith-based home, had gotten away from her faith.

“They didn’t preach at me, they just met my need, which I thought was very odd,” Celia said of her co-workers.

Eventually, when her son was seven months old, Celia found herself at Creflo Dollar’s ministry and her life was changed completely.

“It was as if somebody had called the pastor and told him that I was coming,” Celia said. “He preached right at me and basically read my life and why I was where I was.

“That day, I just knew that I was where I was supposed to be and God was speaking to me. I didn’t miraculously have money fall out of the sky. I just learned to trust God and I mean it has been a trust. It’s not been easy, but He’s confirmed to me over and over that He loves me and He loves William and He’ll never leave us.”

It certainly wasn’t easy, and Celia still wasn’t in a great place, but her mind was in a great place.

“I had peace even though I couldn’t pay the bills,” she said. “I wasn’t about to have a breakdown or worrying constantly. I can’t even explain it. The bible says it’s a peace that passes all understanding. I just knew that He was God and that by accepting Jesus Christ, He was going to completely take care of us. All I can say is that our needs were met. It wasn’t over and above, but everything we needed was met.”

At times, Celia received help from her mother, sister and the rest of a very supportive Christian family.

“I have a wonderful family that has been here for us, but we struggled,” she said.

There were times when her family understood Celia had to go through some trials on her own. Celia’s faith was strengthened by the means in which some of her needs were met.

“There were just phenomenal miracles where I had absolutely no money,” she said. “I didn’t know how I was going to buy formula and I would pray, ‘God, I gave my life to you and I don’t know what to do.’ The next day, someone would walk up to me on the streets of Atlanta and say, ‘I don’t know you, but God told me to give you this,’ and it would be a $50 bill.

“I can remember one night crying, thinking, ‘I can’t put these shoes on his feet again, they’re too small.’ I went to work and a lady that worked with me said, ‘Here’s my credit card. I want you to take William to Stride Right and get him three pairs of shoes.’ I’m telling you, it was the very next day.”

That was the way Celia and her son lived for the first four years of William’s life.

“Living like that makes you grow in faith,” she said. “If He had just dropped money out of the sky, I think it would have been less of a trust walk. One thing God promises all of us is that we’ll have trials and we’ll have hard times no matter who we are. I’ve learned through my trials that I can be joyous, I can love people, I can love my enemies, and I can love the people that might have put me in this situation because God has it all under control.”

When William was four, Celia decided to move back to Austintown, Ohio to be closer to her mother and the rest of her family. Celia worked as a Licensed Practical Nurse and turned to God as she made decisions about her future.

“My goal was to go back and become an RN, but I prayed about it and I just didn’t want to miss any of William’s years growing up,” she said. “I knew that if I went back to school, I’d have to work full-time and I just wasn’t willing to give that up.”

She missed her church, but didn’t regret the decision to move home.

“I think it was ordained of God,” she said. “We needed to get back to family. After I learned the great lessons I learned, it was OK for me to come home.”

William enjoyed being close to his family and was welcomed by those in the neighborhood. He benefited from the presence of positive male role models in his life who brought him under their wings.

“It was cool,” William said of the people he met after moving. “I had a lot of good friends that had families and I’d spend days with them and sleepovers. I think all of the people in my life molded me into who I am today. I was blessed to be around a lot of good people.”

“The males in our family and the neighbors have been wonderful,” Celia said.

As William grew up, Celia got a chance to see the kind of child her son was becoming.

“He was a very, very good child,” she said. “I don’t know what I would have done if I had it any other way. He was very mindful, very obedient.”

Celia was very strict with her son about what he could watch on television and he would even call her to come pick him up if he was at friend’s house watching something he knew his mother wouldn’t approve of.

“Most kids wouldn’t do that,” she said.

“He would come home very upset if kids were teased in school. He would go to birthday parties of kids who weren’t well-liked and it would boost their morale if he went because William was always very well-liked.”

Celia didn’t take credit for the kindness of her son, though.

“He was a really, really good kid and above all, he really loved God and I think that’s what made him the good child that he was,” she said.

William gave his mother credit for guiding him in his faith.

“That’s just how I grew up,” he said. “She just ingrained it in me when I was young. It’s helped a lot, through everything, football and being a good person.”

Soon, William got involved in sports and excelled at baseball and basketball at an early age.

“I didn’t think football would be his thing,” she admitted. “He was pretty sensitive, but it’s just been William and I and I just attributed that to him being an only child with his mom.”

mcbri014
07-20-2011, 02:33 AM
Faith and A Mother's Love Part 2 (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/5086-faith-a-a-mothers-love-part-ii)

Celia Mahone came from an all-girl family that wasn’t crazy about sports, so it took a her a little bit longer to realize that football was her son William’s thing. Celia wasn’t alone though, as William’s youth football coaches either didn’t see it, or chose not to see it.

“My first year, I started off on the line,” said William. “It was different. I wasn’t really mad, I didn’t really know what was going on. It was cool, but I knew I wanted to run the ball.”

Despite pleas from the other parents to let him run the ball, William remained on the line. Celia didn’t know enough about the sport to argue, but one of her cousins convinced her William would be better served playing as a fifth-grader in the parochial league for a coach who would let him play running back.

William lost 10 pounds to satisfy the league’s weight limit for ball carriers and, although he didn’t become the starting running back until he was in sixth grade, he excelled. He admitted he was a tad nervous about the pressure of carrying the ball, but fought through it.

“You’ve just got to relax and if that’s what you really want to do, you just have to do it,” he said.

“Then people starting constantly saying things to me,” said Celia. “Maybe I’m not good with compliments, but I would say, ‘Yeah, he’s OK.’ I couldn’t really say he was really good because like I said, I don’t really know anything about football.”

William played football and basketball in the parochial league and the people in Austintown began worrying that he would attend Ursuline High School in Youngstown instead of Fitch High School in Austintown. Celia, who attended Fitch, had family members who had gone to Ursuline and William was being torn between the two schools.

“It was a tug of war because a lot of the men in my family went to Ursuline and played sports,” said William.

Even his mother admitted she wanted him at Ursuline.

“I wanted him to go to parochial school,” Celia admitted. “At first, he wanted to as well, but he didn’t want to leave his friends. It didn’t make sense for me to force him to go to a school that he didn’t want to go to. I didn’t want to break his heart and say, ‘You have to go to Ursuline.’”

So William went to Fitch. Celia acknowledged that she had worries about the decision, but it’s worked out alright so far.

Playing in a reserve role as a sophomore at Fitch didn’t stop William from receiving attention from colleges and the spring before his junior season, Cincinnati offered him a scholarship. He became the first Fitch football player to receive an offer before his junior year.

“When he got the offer from Cincinnati as a sophomore, I was like, ‘Wow. Really?’” Celia admitted.

Celia and William were cautioned by family members who had been through the process and William’s coach that things were going to change soon.

“The first couple days of practice, I was getting letters from pretty much everybody in the country,” he said. “It was crazy.”

William and his mother didn’t begin seriously evaluating colleges right away, but the schools continued to make it clear they were interested.

The offers started piling up and Celia made sure her son took every single one seriously. Celia purchased a filing cabinet to try to organize all of the letters from college, but had to give up when it quickly overflowed.

Mother and son attended some camps before William’s junior season and went to some college games last fall, including a trip to New York City to see Notre Dame play Army at Yankee Stadium. It required a lot of sacrifice and some help from the local community, but Celia made sure she was with her son on all of his visits.

“I want to be a part of this decision-making process with him,” she said. “I want to be able to give him some things to think about. I want him to get the best education. I know he’s thinking football, but I’m thinking education. I just absolutely love him. I want him to be safe.

“I want him to know I’m there for him no matter what. I want to meet the coaches. I want to meet the academic advisors. I want to know what they’re telling him and get an idea of if they’re being truthful.”

After some more college visits over the next few months, William told his mother he needed to see more schools this summer.

“I said, ‘Let’s do it,’” said Celia. “We went to Michigan State and Penn State and of course Notre Dame.”

The trip to South Bend almost didn’t happen.

After driving to East Lansing, Mich., and State College, Pa., both William and his mother were exhausted and didn’t really feel like driving past Ohio to Indiana.

“To be honest with you, I don’t know that we were going to make the trip,” said Celia. “We were tired and I guess I had a preconceived notion of what Notre Dame was.”

But while William was at Penn State, he met a friend of Massachusetts athlete Armani Reeves, who had recently visited Notre Dame and had rave reviews. William decided he wanted to check it out for himself and both he and his mother are glad they did.

“I was totally wrong,” Celia said of her initial opinion of Notre Dame. “I don’t even know what I thought it was. It just wasn’t what I thought.”

SouthernIrish
07-20-2011, 08:28 AM
i actually like this guy more after reading those stories. Hard not to I suppose. I think he'd be a great fit for us.

ChicagoIrish
07-20-2011, 08:49 AM
this kid has Notre Dame written all over him. I hope we land him.

HoffVir
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Faith & A Mother's Love: Part III
WEDNESDAY, 20 JULY 2011 07:47 CHRISTIAN MCCOLLUM

This is the third installment of a multi-part series on 2012 Ohio running back Will Mahone and his mother, Celia.

Celia and William Mahone were close to skipping a planned visit to Notre Dame last month, but they ended up making the trip to South Bend and both were happy they did.

“Of course, everyone knows I thought it was the greatest thing in the world,” Celia said. “I was so taken. I was like, ‘Oh my gosh.’”

Celia was touched by Touchdown Jesus and the Grotto, where she lit a candle for a friend back home.

“I thought it was beautiful,” she said of the Grotto. “I thought it was great to have a place for the students or faculty or anyone that’s going through something to pray and reflect. I just thought it was beautiful, absolutely beautiful.”

The Basilica also made an impression.

“I thought I was in Rome,” she said. “That was beautiful as well. Anytime you’re on a campus where faith is important, that’s always a wonderful thing to me.”

Celia also enjoyed the overall atmosphere on the South Bend campus.

“I absolutely love that the players have to room with other students and are not coddled or treated like they’re so much better,” she said. “I don’t think I understood what you gained with a degree from Notre Dame. Since coming back, everyone’s said, ‘Oh my gosh, if he goes to Notre Dame, he’ll be able to go anywhere and get a job.’

“I just thought the campus was absolutely beautiful, very peaceful, and quiet. I didn’t see anyone with headphones in their ears, I didn’t see anyone texting.”

Celia was impressed with all of the players, students and coaches she met during the visit, including William’s recruiter, Ed Warinner.

“I didn’t feel that Coach Warinner or any other coaches were being fake or phony,” she said. “I got a real sincere sense about him. The academic advisor, Adam (Sargent), I really liked him and I liked what he had to say to William.

“Adam told William, ‘You’re young, but you’ve got to think about your future.’”

Celia and William were also given the line about choosing a college being a 40-year decision, not a four-year one.

“It’s true,” Celia said. “It’s something that’s going to affect the rest of your life.”

Celia felt the trip to Notre Dame was different than some of the other visits she’s made.

“I told Coach Warinner, ‘This is a real college experience,’” she said. “The other schools, sometimes you wonder if your kid is not real disciplined, if they can get caught up in what people today think is a college experience. I know he’ll have a good time. I’m not trying to take all of the fun out of everything. I’m sure the boys have a good time.”

William called the visit an eye-opener and admitted he didn't understand the total value of a Notre Dame degree or the Irish football tradition.

William believes he’s close to making a decision and his mother is hopeful that's the case, but he hasn't made a decision yet.

The fourth and final part of the series will explain why the decision is so difficult and how Celia is encouraging her son to follow his faith for help.

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/5091-faith-a-a-mothers-love-part-iii

lowayne
07-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Part I is awesome. I'd like Mahone quite a bit as a compliment to one of the Marshall boys.

mcbri014
07-20-2011, 12:46 PM
I wonder what school Celia wants Will to attend

Shamrock1221
07-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah but the staff will probably have Longo make it a priority for him to put on a lot more size and weight. He is going to be our bruiser in a few years, what Asaph Schwapp was supposed to be, and what Jehuu Caulcrick used to do us every year. When we need to beat people up and wear down teams, he is going to be option 1 I would imagine.

zimmsbg78
07-22-2011, 08:53 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting (free)

Austintown, Ohio running back Will Mahone has not made a final decision on his college destination, but he's getting close and that's just fine with his mother, Celia.

Mahone and his mother made a round of visits last month, capped with a stop at Notre Dame and that could be the final visit they take before announcing a commitment.

“At the moment, we don’t have any plans on going anywhere,” she said. “It gets to a point where everyone is in your ear; everyone is telling you what you should do. I just don’t want William to be overwhelmed. I am starting to be overwhelmed. I think he’s starting to understand the importance of him knowing what God wants for him and to go with it.

“It would not bother me one bit if he made a commitment and that was it. I don’t know what he’s going to decide or when. I would welcome the decision like yesterday.”

There are plenty of important people in William’s life with ideas about where he should go.

“He can’t be trying to please everyone else,” his mother said. “I just want him to keep that in mind. At the end of the day, I realize football is the avenue by which you’re getting your education, but your education is the most important thing. I don’t want him to go somewhere the degree doesn’t mean a whole lot. That’s what I want, but I also know that he has to make the final decision and if it’s a mistake, we all make them.”

Even if William doesn’t have the kind of success he hopes for on the gridiron, that won’t be how his mother evaluates his decision in the long run.

“Maybe that’s what God wanted,” she said. “Maybe He wanted you to learn something. I just know we have our ideas of how we want things to go and God has His.”

But Celia is confident that her son will make a good decision.

“I know that he’s listening to me,” she said. “He’s hearing what I’m saying and I know that he loves football, but we see kids graduating every day that can’t find work, so it seems to me you’d want to go somewhere the degree means something. I’m sure he listens and thinks things over.”

She encourages her son to go over her head if he needs to as well.

“I always tell William when he’s not sure or if he has questions, God will answer him,” she said. “‘Go in your room and talk to Him. He does talk. He answers.’”

But she also knows, from her own experiences, that mistakes can make you stronger.

“William knows all of my stories,” she said. “My biggest thing right now is that he understands his talents and abilities are from God and he needs to make sure he uses them for God.”

Celia has been extremely proud of the man her son is growing into, but added, “Trust me, he’s not a perfect kid. He’s done a lot of things normal teen-agers do.”

But William is still that same kid who looks out for others. At his mother’s request, he recently helped a fellow student out by getting others to stop bullying his classmate.

“William says, ‘Don’t worry about it,’” Celia said. “He didn’t want to discuss it with me, but apparently he said something.”

William doesn’t believe any attention is warranted.

“To be honest, when I did that kind of stuff, those kids were my friends,” he said. “It’s not fun to be bullied or anything like that. It’s not a good thing to see and that’s just the kind of person I am.”

Celia told her son about the arrogance of the athletes when she was at Fitch High School and made it clear she never wanted hear that about him.

“I don’t hear,” Celia said. “The teachers say William is pretty humble. They say he’s just a nice kid, really respectful and I’m like, ‘Yeah, he better be. I raised him to be that way.’”

Celia knows her son has learned from her mistakes, but that, together, their faith has been the biggest factor.

“I think the most important thing has been the importance of God, depending on Him and having faith in Him,” she said. “I think God has been the major difference in his life and I know He has been in mine.”

William gives the credit to God, but also to his mom.

“She’s meant everything,” he said. “She’s always been around, making sure I was doing the right thing. She’s pretty much everything.”

Celia has trouble expressing the feelings she has for her son and the position he’s put himself in.

“I can’t even tell you how proud I am,” she said. “I guess I’m kind of stunned.”

While he certainly feels blessed, William’s far from stunned.

“I always expected for something like this to happen,” he said. “I don’t want to sound cocky, but I always expected to play Division I football or basketball. I couldn’t imagine it going any other way.”

Now he just needs to figure out which way it’ll go next.

SouthernIrish
07-22-2011, 09:24 AM
i might (more likely I am for sure) be reading into this series too much but....it sounds like Mom likes ND (degree means something) but Will is unsure about going to ND. I like our chances here especially after PSU has an average season again and we excel.

morrdave9
07-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Announcing Aug 7th per his facebook.

jbrown_9999
07-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Announcing Aug 7th per his facebook.
That just means we know where diaco will be that day (drinking coffee I hope.)

Actually, I'm not sure who is recruiting him but figured diaco could win another recruit away from psu

HoffVir
07-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Just to clarify whom he will be choosing from ...

ISDUpdate Irish Sports Daily
OH RB Will Mahone will announce his decision on August 7th. He will choose between Notre Dame, Michigan State, Penn State, and Pittsburgh
13 minutes ago

Gotta feel good about this one.

FWIRISH
07-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Mom tells him Education is important and then she also tells him to make sure he gets God's advice.

I like to think that both of those opinions will point to ND. :groucho:

But it also reminds me of this quote…

"God does not care who wins a football game, but his mother does" ~ Lou Holtz.

NDgrandson
07-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Just watched his film, I like it. A one-cut-and-go type of runner who runs downhill with good balance. Shows good hands too as a receiver. Would like to see him and Marshall as our RBs this class.

100% agree. I was impressed with his patience then burst through the line. He has great vision and footwork. Like you said, he has nice hands as a recieveing back. I can see why BK likes him. His HS offense looks similar to ND. I read where Cincy offered him as a SO. Was that BK or after BK?

Additionally, on defense he is textbook at defending the boundary and stripping the ball. From what I have read and seen he seems to be a real nice fit for ND, the offense and could contribute early. He seems to be both intelligent, football smart, and mature enough to be coachable. I could see him being Golson's best friend as a pass protector and bailing him out of some pass rushes with dump passes that go for 1st downs.

This is a back that schools like Penn St and MSU feature and ride to success. It will be interesting to see if he chooses ND, and how ND will feature him. It would be great to have him AND Marshall. But I don't think Mahone is a Hughes or Schwapp style back. I think he is an all purpose TB .

Irish Joe
07-23-2011, 09:24 PM
He's got some long strides, covers a lot of ground in the open field

mcbri014
07-24-2011, 11:50 PM
His high school teammates, the Davis Twins, committed to Pitt. Mahone visited Pitt with them this weekend. I haven't heard anything about the 3 of them being a package deal at this point. He feels like a spread is best suited for him so it is likely between ND and Pitt.

NDgrandson
07-25-2011, 04:29 AM
He's delaying his decision.

http://notredame.scout.com/2/1088949.html

Mahone To Delay Decision

By Dave Berk
Irish Eyes
Posted Jul 24, 2011

| More

Scout.com 4-star running back William Mahone announced he would make his college decision on Aug 7. However, it appears those plans have changed...

Sunday found Youngstown (Ohio) Fitch running back William Mahone enjoying two of his teammates making their college decisions. The plan was for Chris Davis and Demitrious Davis to make their announcement on Sunday, with Mahone following two weeks later.
However, on Sunday night the Scout.com 4-star running back posted the following on his Facebook page.

"I am not making my decision August 7th. I've been under too much stress about this and don't want to rush my decision."

Mahone was expected to choose between Penn State, Pittsburgh, Michigan State and Notre Dame in two weeks.

The change in plans might help Notre Dame in giving Mahone a chance to make an unofficial visit to campus for a face-to-face meeting with Irish head coach Brian Kelly. Something he told Irish Eyes was a point to consider when making his choice.

Calls to Mahone went unanswered on Sunday night.

ChicagoIrish
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
OV for MSU game

wicket
08-09-2011, 05:04 PM
i thought hewas gonna come for the usf game

ChicagoIrish
08-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Wiltfong said MSU today. Good for us, I think, assuming we win the game. they're one of his other finalists

a1ND
08-09-2011, 05:41 PM
i thought hewas gonna come for the usf game

the USF game was gonna be an unofficial...i hope he still comes to that game and then the mich st game

i'm guessing he wants to see what the offense will look like and i can't blame him for that

Sparks inda Loo
08-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Would love to see him in Blue and Gold.

Classy family.

zimmsbg78
08-10-2011, 08:52 AM
OV for MSU game

In addition to the OV to ND, Mahone has scheduled a OV to State Penn for the Bama game which is the week prior to his ND OV.

IrishFan123
08-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Texas close to offering...If they have not already

HoffVir
08-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Mahone says he hasn't heard from them.

IrishFan123
08-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Repeated that his mother favors Notre Dame

zimmsbg78
08-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Pushed his decision back and now hopes to decide before the playoffs. He wants to OV ND, MSU, Pitt and State Penn before making a decision.

morrdave9
08-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Mom likes ND.
Friends are pushing Pitt.
MSU probably best opportunity for a RB.
PSU was probably his choice early in the process.

Kid is being pulled in a lot of directions...

Irishsteelersfan
09-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Named Notre Dame his leader.

ChicagoIrish
09-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Pretty sure that he eliminated Penn State, which helps us a lot I think. He went to the 'Bama game and described their fans as "grimy." They're not taking it well.

would be helpful for our team to not throw up all over themselves during his visit this weekend.

ChicagoIrish
09-16-2011, 09:34 PM
I have zero insider info, but the vibe I'm getting from various free recruiting blurbs is that he wants to commit this weekend. If we win, I wouldn't be surprised to see good news on Sunday. If we lose, I still think he's Irish.

CincyDamer
09-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Sign him up!

stonebreakerwasgod
09-16-2011, 10:30 PM
That's the idea. If he doesn't commit soon, could be a long winter waiting to see what happens.

IrishCrasher
09-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Sign him up already!!!!!

IrishFan123
09-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Will be at Pitt for the ND v. Pitt game next Saturday and back for the USC game

CincyDamer
09-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Damnit was hoping he was going to be the cherry on top for the weekend. Dunno what his hesitation is. Great academics, good oline recruiting, depth chart, and showing good stats. Comon kid sign up

Synoptico
09-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Damnit was hoping he was going to be the cherry on top for the weekend. Dunno what his hesitation is. Great academics, good oline recruiting, depth chart, and showing good stats. Comon kid sign up

Maybe there is no hessitation. It could be for a couple of reasons.

He could want to go to an away game courtesy of Pitt, He could want to wait to verbal at USC and hopefully build momentum that weekend. I don't think there is anything to worry about.

stonebreakerwasgod
09-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Could happen any time. Oh..and Chris Brown WR may verbal any time as well..so I heard.
But the Irish still looking strong with Mahone.

adamsfamily03
09-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Let's get the verbal and keep momentum building....and this would be a BIG win for us!

mcbri014
09-19-2011, 01:13 AM
He was impressed with ND's offensive balance yesterday according to Irishillustrated.
I think I saw him at the game yesterday next to Darby and I think Sheldon Day. I could have sworn I saw two recruits with dreads.

IrishFan123
09-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Mahone twitter

“@willywavessvoxo: #ND will be at the game tomorrow along with #psu”

“@willywavessvoxo: We play Glenn oak #psu Is def there for bri'onte Dunn #notme lol”

IrishFan123
09-23-2011, 08:32 PM
NDatRivals twitter

Will Mahone went down with a leg injury on his second carry, getting medical attention on the bench.

Will Mahone hurt his left ankle, iced it, now getting it wrapped. We'll see if he returns. Not acting like a player done for the night

stonebreakerwasgod
09-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Sounds Irish to me.

IrishFan123
09-23-2011, 09:22 PM
NDatRivals Irish Illustrated

The Fitch training staff says Will Mahone has a high ankle sprain. He's out of uniform, on crutches.

DirtySecret
09-24-2011, 10:53 AM
NDatRivals Irish Illustrated

High ankle sprain are a pain in the rear.

IrishFan123
09-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Said he could be back this weekend on the field. Says that he likely will make a decision on a college before he takes the field this week or next.

ChicagoIrish
09-28-2011, 09:53 AM
did he announce? buzz on some other message boards.

Synoptico
09-28-2011, 10:05 AM
did he announce? buzz on some other message boards.

On twitter he mentioned that he would be updating his twitter bio shortly. possibly before his next game. This led to people speculating that he will commit and add the school of his choice.

ChicagoIrish
09-28-2011, 11:03 AM
aha, thx. I saw that, but I guess I didn't read as much into it as some.

stonebreakerwasgod
09-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Good quality back. Would be a great pickup, espec if BK can grab a slightly speedier one as well.
This class won't wow anyone, but it sure as hell is what the doctor ordered based on need.
Me Likey.

SouthernIrish
09-29-2011, 08:27 AM
I this guy but I was a little surprised when I looked at his offer sheet. pretty ave teams.

I meant to say "I LIKE this guy."

IrishFan123
09-29-2011, 08:01 PM
The drums say friday.

Yup looks like tomorrow is the day...

Irishlaw
09-29-2011, 09:14 PM
4* on 3/4 big recruiting services

stonebreakerwasgod
09-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Let's hope he doesn't take as long as Hughes or Jonas to understand the type of back he is.

JDriveSthND
09-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Let's hope he doesn't take as long as Hughes or Jonas to understand the type of back he is.
Apparently, Jonas is a speed back - or did you not watch the game last Saturday?

JDriveSthND
09-29-2011, 11:24 PM
I this guy but I was a little surprised when I looked at his offer sheet. pretty ave teams.

I meant to say "I LIKE this guy."
ND, WV, Cincy, Pitt, Michigan State, Penn State, BC, Northwestern - not exceptional, but not bad. Teams you'd expect to appreciate a power back.

Irish Joe
09-29-2011, 11:26 PM
ND, WV, Cincy, Pitt, Michigan State, Penn State, BC, Northwestern - not exceptional, but not bad. Teams you'd expect to appreciate a power back.

With the past few backs Pitt has had, I'll take any RB they want

NDgrandson
09-29-2011, 11:50 PM

Stoney, I assume you saw his highlights. I didn't think he was a power back. I think he is an all purpose back, moreso than even Jonas. I think Roberson is way more of a power back than Mahone. That is why I am so bent on getting Keith Marshall. His top end speed is amazing and that differentiates him vs other RBs. So those two would be a great combo.

Can Roberson get a redshirt and medical year to get 4 more years of eligibility? If so, we's have speed demon, all purpose and power back a year ofter McDaniel, who could be a real nice all purpose back in offense. But if we get KM, I think he is our go to back and competes for Heisman votes in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

SouthernIrish
09-30-2011, 08:02 AM
after reading a recruiting report on 24/7 it sounds like we'll be KM No 1 if Richt gets fired. Plus we have a really good shot at B. Marshall. I think Russel ends up at UW. We just got to root against UGa.

zimmsbg78
09-30-2011, 08:14 AM
http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/RB-William-Mahone-announcing-his-decision-today-42250 (free)

No press conference. No hat game. Just make the call.

Youngstown, Ohio, running back William Mahone is going a different route when it comes to letting the public know of his college decision. While setting up a big announcement has become the norm, he wants to go about it in a different manner. A more "low key" route.

Despite having the plan in place as of earlier this week, the 5-11, 205-pound Fitch High player wanted to keep things under wraps, but the power of social media will soon take shape as his timeline on Twitter read the following as the sun rose this morning.

"Committing today #excited," Mahone tweeted.

The three finalists for the 247Sports three-star recruit include Michigan State, Notre Dame and Pitt. Penn State was once part of that group, but the Nittany Lions were eliminated following an official visit to Happy Valley for the Alabama game.

Mahone gave rave reviews about his official visit to Notre Dame for the Michigan State game on Sept. 17, and planned to take an unofficial visit to Pitt the following weekend when the Panthers hosted the Irish.

He ended up not making that trip after spraining his ankle a week ago and discussed traveling to the Iron City last night for the South Florida game with his twin teammates that have given the Panthers their pledge, but he didn't make that trip as well.

Following the visit to Notre Dame, he mentioned that he may talk to the Spartans that week to set something up, but that trip also didn't happen.

Mahone already has plans in place to be back on campus when the Irish host USC for a night game in the stadium on Oct. 22 that is drawing one of the biggest recruiting weekends in recent memory.

At this point signs continue to point towards South Bend after making one of the better comebacks in recruiting for his services, and the Notre Dame nation will know today where he's headed.

No press conference. No hat game. Just make the call.

Purebred Irishman
09-30-2011, 08:40 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/5609-mahone-to-make-announcement

Notre Dame fans have been waiting for a running back to join the Irish’s 2012 recruiting class for a while. That wait could come to an end tonight when Austintown, Ohio (Fitch High School) running back Will Mahone announces his college decision tonight.

The 5-foot-11, 215-pounder is down to three schools – Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Michigan State. He had a final four that also included Penn State, but eliminated the Nittany Lions after a disappointing unofficial visit to Happy Valley the second weekend of September.

An ankle injury will force Mahone to miss his team’s Homecoming Game against Jackson tonight, but it will still be a special day as he’ll announce his decision afterward.

The Irish seemed to jump into the lead after an unofficial visit this summer followed by a strong official visit for the Michigan State game.

“They helped themselves a lot,” Mahone told Irish Sports Daily after his official visit. “I had a really good time. They knew all of the right things to do and say.

“I just got a really good vibe when I was down there this weekend. I had a chance to hang out with the recruits and talk to them about how they were feeling. I also had the chance to hang out with the players and get to ask them their opinion about Notre Dame and what their experiences have been like.”

It’s the only official visit Mahone has taken so far.

He had planned on making an unofficial visit to Pittsburgh last weekend, but he couldn’t make the trip after suffering an ankle injury the night before. He also talked about making an unofficial for the Panthers’ game on Thursday night against South Florida, but he didn’t make that trip either.

Following his official to South Bend, Mahone did say he planned on making a return trip for the USC game next month.

The four-star ESPN prospect also claimed offers from Boston College, Cincinnati, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, North Carolina State, Penn State, Purdue, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and West Virginia.

morrdave9
09-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Stoney, I assume you saw his highlights. I didn't think he was a power back. I think he is an all purpose back, moreso than even Jonas. I think Roberson is way more of a power back than Mahone. That is why I am so bent on getting Keith Marshall. His top end speed is amazing and that differentiates him vs other RBs. So those two would be a great combo.

Can Roberson get a redshirt and medical year to get 4 more years of eligibility? If so, we's have speed demon, all purpose and power back a year ofter McDaniel, who could be a real nice all purpose back in offense. But if we get KM, I think he is our go to back and competes for Heisman votes in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Pretty sure he can - didn't play last year and got hurt out of season this year which ended up costing him the season. Of course, that would depend on Kelly asking him to come back for those 2 years. And on top of that, will he even come back to play and at what level could he perform. Supposedly the knee injury was pretty bad so it's hard to say what will happen with him at this point.

Mahone will probably be a similar back to Jonas in that he will fill the power role but he isn't necessarily a power back. One-cut downhill runner, good speed but probably not as fast as Jonas.

zimmsbg78
09-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Update..........

http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/RB-William-Mahone-announcing-his-decision-today-from-ND-and-Pitt-42250

Mahone Choosing From Two

Austintown (Ohio) Fitch senior William Mahone is set to make his decision today at his school during its homecoming ceremony, Spartan Tailgate (247Sports Michigan State site) confirmed with Mahone via text Friday morning.

"Pitt and ND are my finalists," the 5-foot-11, 205-pound running back prospect told Sean Scherer via text.

Michigan State was thought to be a finalist but with the Spartans already taking a commitment from Georgia running back prospect Nick Tompkins earlier this summer, they were no longer as serious an option. There was some talk Mahone could be added as an athlete prospect.

Ever since Mahone took his official visit to Notre Dame on Sept. 17, the Irish have appeared to be the team to beat. We'll see.

Katzenboyer
09-30-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't necessarily like that he's decided to announce the day after Pitt stomped USF...

morrdave9
09-30-2011, 10:46 AM
He had been planning on announcing this Friday for a little while now. He also cancelled his trip to that game even though his 2 teammates who committed to Pitt went to it. I will be very surprised if he picks Pitt over ND.

NDisNCin2010
09-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Update..........

http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/RB-William-Mahone-announcing-his-decision-today-from-ND-and-Pitt-42250

what time is this homecoming ceremony at?

zimmsbg78
09-30-2011, 01:25 PM
what time is this homecoming ceremony at?

No exact time was given. Sometime after his game tonight.

IrishFan123
09-30-2011, 02:42 PM
No exact time was given. Sometime after his game tonight.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/college-insider/2011/10/01/william-mahone-college-announcement

9:30 Scout.com will go live

lowayne
09-30-2011, 09:48 PM
I believe he is Irish.

PDOGEMP
09-30-2011, 10:08 PM
i hope we get him

Dayton_Domer
09-30-2011, 10:36 PM
austintown fitch's game went to 2OT...announcement is delayed.

cliff
09-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Got him!

Dayton_Domer
09-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Numa Numa!!!!

Will Mahone is Irish!!!

CincyDamer
09-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Awesome. Huge position of need. Id love to pair him with 1 of the marshalls

stonebreakerwasgod
09-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Nice. Glad to have him on board. One more Marshall and ND is set for awhile.
Happy times. :)

sreepointer
09-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Nice, welcome. This is a huge get for the Irish, a position that is thin, now we need one more.

ND from NE
09-30-2011, 11:52 PM
great news, definitely a position of need ... Welcome aboard!

Purebred Irishman
10-01-2011, 04:25 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/5616-mahone-is-irish

It’s not a major surprise, but it is a major piece to Notre Dame’s 2012 recruiting puzzle.

Will Mahone announced his verbal commitment to Notre Dame on Friday night, following his Fitch High School team’s Homecoming Game against Jackson.

The 5-foot-11, 215-pounder from Austintown, Ohio gives the Irish their first running back pledge and 16th verbal commitment in the Class of 2012.

The four-star ESPN prospect chose Notre Dame over his other finalists, Pittsburgh and Michigan State. He also had offers from Boston College, Cincinnati, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, North Carolina State, Penn State, Purdue, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and West Virginia.

“Everything seems to be right there with the young team and the recruiting classes they have in 2012 and even 2013,” Mahone told Irish Sports Daily earlier in the week. “The running back situation is great there. I just don’t have anything negative to say about it.”

Mahone, who sat out his high school game on Friday night, is hoping to return to the field next week, but is also looking forward to continuing his career in South Bend.

“I’m just going to work hard and be a leader as much as I can on the field,” he said. “I feel like I can compete tremendously. Cierre Wood is a great running back too, I’m just going to go in there and try to compete.”

Mahone’s mother, Celia, did not hide the fact that she preferred he chose Notre Dame, but she wanted to make sure he made the decision for himself.

“She’s definitely excited,” Mahone said of his mother. “I made the decision on my own, not just for her or anybody else. The decision is mine and it is the best fit for me as a young man and as a football player.”

ESPN ranks Mahone as the nation’s 14th-best running back and he was ranked as the fifth-best uncommitted running back before announcing his decision.

Mahone, who will be back in South Bend for the USC game next month, took an official visit to Notre Dame for the Michigan State game and was blown away, but he admitted it was an unofficial visit to South Bend over the summer that was the real turning point in his recruitment.

Interestingly, that visit almost didn’t take place and probably wouldn’t have had it not been for another Notre Dame recruit, who ended up going elsewhere. Mahone and his mother were on an unofficial visit to Penn State, fresh off a trip to Michigan State, and exhaustion had them leaning toward cancelling the visit they had planned for Notre Dame.

Armani Reeves, who ended up committing to Penn State, met Mahone during his visit to Happy Valley. Reeves had been at Notre Dame during the summer and told Mahone how much he enjoyed the trip. Mahone decided to take visit and the Irish made a strong impression.

“Ever since my visit in the summer, I felt like it was the place for me,” he said.

Prior to eliminating the Nittany Lions, Mahone had trimmed his list to four schools – Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Penn State and Michigan State. He scheduled an announcement in August, but cancelled it only days later because he didn’t feel he was ready.

Now he is.

NDgrandson
10-01-2011, 04:45 AM

100% agree. I was impressed with his patience then burst through the line. He has great vision and footwork. Like you said, he has nice hands as a recieveing back. I can see why BK likes him. His HS offense looks similar to ND. I read where Cincy offered him as a SO. Was that BK or after BK?

Additionally, on defense he is textbook at defending the boundary and stripping the ball. From what I have read and seen he seems to be a real nice fit for ND, the offense and could contribute early. He seems to be both intelligent, football smart, and mature enough to be coachable. I could see him being Golson's best friend as a pass protector and bailing him out of some pass rushes with dump passes that go for 1st downs.

This is a back that schools like Penn St and MSU feature and ride to success. It will be interesting to see if he chooses ND, and how ND will feature him. It would be great to have him AND Marshall. But I don't think Mahone is a Hughes or Schwapp style back. I think he is an all purpose TB .

Dave and my comments from before. Great fit for ND as a school and as a football program. Very happy to have him.

stonebreakerwasgod
10-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Way to go Armani!

wicket
10-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Way to go Armani!

post of the thread thusfar

mlcspinner
10-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Numa Numa

NDisNCin2010
10-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Welcome to the ND Family Will!

(and thx for the assist reeves)

ps watched his tape this kid from what i saw a definite all purpose back that can do it all like grandson says above

Domer Dog
10-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Great get. Terrific multiple purpose running back, and skid who gets it. I love kid's like this. Had an idea months ago but waited to make sure he was making the right decision, and was basing it on the right things. RKG.

rikrok58
10-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Welcome to the family Will

IrishCrasher
10-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Welcome to ND Will

step30044
10-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Numa Numa

lowayne
10-03-2011, 11:28 PM
I just watched his film for the first time. He has such great awareness of angles on offense and defense. His ability to make people miss without slowing down for a move... exquisite. I get why some recruiting services are really high on this young man, glad he will be at ND as a football player.

stonebreakerwasgod
10-04-2011, 12:09 AM
willywavessvoxo William Mahone
#NDNation how raw would it be to see me and @Truthh4 in the backfield together?!
15 minutes ago

Truth is Keith Marshall for those who have been in a third world country with no internets..

Irishlaw
10-04-2011, 12:11 AM
@Truthh4

who's this?

thanks

stonebreakerwasgod
10-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Look up

NDgrandson
10-04-2011, 01:16 AM
willywavessvoxo William Mahone
#NDNation how raw would it be to see me and @Truthh4 in the backfield together?!
15 minutes ago

Truth is Keith Marshall for those who have been in a third world country with no internets..

Oh man. I really love Mahone even more now. A Mahone / K. Marshall backfield would be so what we need. I've been hoping for that duo for months.

stonebreakerwasgod
10-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Will Mahone & K. Marshall On Twitter
Truthh4 (Keith Marshall) @willywavessvoxo ayy man congrats on the committ .. You gone be up there for the USC game ?

willywavessvoxo: (Will Mahone)@Truthh4 thanks bruh, yes I will be there, is that your official?

Truthh4: @willywavessvoxo yea is it yours ?

willywavessvoxo @Truthh4 nah I took mine for the msu game. You been to ND yet?

Truthh4 @willywavessvoxo naw I wanted to but I had track this summer so I never got a chance too

willywavessvoxo @Truthh4 I feel it, It's a special place man, different than all the other colleges you prob been to, you'll love it.

Katzenboyer
10-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Oh man. I really love Mahone even more now. A Mahone / K. Marshall backfield would be so what we need. I've been hoping for that duo for months.

It's could very well require holding a spot for him, because Byron Marshall may commit during USC weekend.

stonebreakerwasgod
10-04-2011, 08:49 AM
I don't see all three coming here, but I also don't see how you turn away any of them.

Katzenboyer
10-04-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't see all three coming here, but I also don't see how you turn away any of them.

Yeah, neither do I. I think we take the first Marshall to commit. While I'd love it to be Keith, I don't know if we hold a spot, and his recruitment looks like it's going to go the distance.

Nice problem to have, though.

morrdave9
10-04-2011, 09:14 AM
IF all 3 want to come, you definitely take them all.

Byron is the most complete RB similar in style to Cierre.

Mahone would be the bigger back similar to Jonas.

Keith you just move him all over the field like the Gators did with Harvin. Create match up issues and get him the ball in space and out of the backfield.

zimmsbg78
10-04-2011, 10:09 AM
http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/RB-William-Mahone-a-standout-on-and-off-the-field-42487 (free)

Youngstown, Ohio, running back William Mahone is the definition of "pay it forward."

Despite keeping his eyes on the prize, he managed to not overlook those around him with similar goals or aspirations. Most would continue on the straight and narrow, disregarding others along the way.

"Since he was a freshman, he stood a head above everybody else," Fitch High guidance counselor, Maribeth McGlynn, told BlueandGold.com the morning of Mahone's Friday announcement. "I think he's humble. He takes his natural talents and doesn't play on that."

Confidence is needed an trying to serve that dual role of both dreamer and supporter.

"Athletically, he was pretty special as a junior high player," Fitch High principal, Doug McGlynn, added. "You could tell right away that he wanted to be a leader and he had the type of swagger, not cockiness, to be a standout on the field"

Not only was the 5-11, 205-pound back pounding for yards and hitting the books, his early signs of leadership landed him a position that he carried throughout his high school tenure - an honor that normally isn't bestowed upon a student until upperclassman status.

"One of the things Will has done for us since he was a freshman is be on the leadership team here," Doug said. "We picked out kids who we thought were going to be positive role models, and he fulfilled that role early and has done that the past four years for us. He's a great kid and very respectful.

"Our athletic programs require the students to do community service, and he willingly participates in that component when it can come across as a chore to others," Maribeth continued. "He's so busy with school work and athletics, that's really his scope. I know when he is home he is a very valuable asset to his family as well. He puts academics and athletics side by side. Any free time he has he spends either working out or helping guide the upper classmen."

Irish head coach Brian Kelly coined the phrase "right kinda guy" (RKG) early in his Notre Dame tenure, describing the type of prospects he and his staff would pursue.

Judging by the feedback from notable representatives at Fitch High School, Mahone is no exception.

"Anytime I need to pull somebody to talk to the underclassmen I pull Will," Doug shared. "The kids just totally respect him. He's not the kind of kid that is going to go out there and act like he's better than everybody. He's very down-to-earth with the kids and talks well with them. He's done an outstanding job as a role model."

Maribeth echoed those sentiments.

"He works very hard in the classroom and he's a role model," she said. "Anytime we need a spokesperson, he's always willing to step up to the plate and talk to the upperclassmen. He's our go-to guy.

"What I'm hoping the recruiters saw in him is the ability to lead. No. 1 with Will, you're getting a great kid. The athletic part of it is No. 2 in my opinion. ... He'll be a role model on any college campus."

Administrators at Mahone's school clearly think very highly of the new Irish running back commit, but his fellow students would express the same thoughts.

"He's a captain of our football team," Doug noted. "He doesn't know it yet, but he's our Homecoming King, too. It just shows you what the kids around him think about him. He's a great pick for anybody and has a lot of potential. ... He'll succeed academically and athletically wherever he goes. I can't say enough about how great of a kid he is.

"I think he'll really flourish at Notre Dame."

NotreDameNate
10-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Looking forward to seeing this man in the blue and gold. Sounds like a very good young man is on his way to ND. Best of luck, Will.

NDGirlzRock
10-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Fabulous news to a dismal day on my end.....I was at Monday Night Football in Tampa last night and dropped my damn phone in the toilet! YUCK!!! Anyway....the game was great, but Curtis Painter......NOT

rontdtarchala
10-07-2011, 06:39 PM
this class just gets better and better

PDOGEMP
10-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Mahone Returning To Recruit
Tuesday, 18 October 2011 08:04 Christian McCollum

Mahone is excited to have a good time during his unofficial visit to Notre Dame for the USC game this weekend, but it will also be a business trip of sorts for the Irish running back commit as well.

“I’m just excited to talk to all of the recruits, but in particular Keith Marshall,” the 5-foot-11, 215-pounder from Austintown, Ohio (Fitch) said. “I want to see what his feelings about Notre Dame are.”

Marshall will be taking an official visit to South Bend this weekend. Mahone’s recruitment of Marshall to Notre Dame began shortly after he made his commitment to the Irish public on Sept. 30.

zimmsbg78
10-24-2011, 10:51 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/5784-mahone-makes-most-of-visit (free)

Will Mahone returned to Notre Dame on Saturday for the third time this year, but this trip was a little different for the Irish running back commit from Austintown, Ohio.

“There were a lot more recruits, just talking with them and being familiar with campus now,” said Mahone, who was on campus for the first time since taking an official visit for the Michigan State game. “I walked around like I had been there a long time, which was kind of cool. It was just a good experience.”

The Irish lost to USC, but Mahone still enjoyed himself.

“It was really good,” he said. “I know they lost, but they could have won that game if it wasn’t for the turnovers. The visit went good.”

Mahone especially enjoyed the atmosphere inside Notre Dame Stadium.

“It was crazy,” he said. “The fans were definitely into it and they stayed in it even when it didn’t look too good. Everyone rallied, they just came up short.”

Notre Dame running backs coach Tim Hinton and Mahone’s area recruiter, Ed Warinner, were excited to have their future pupil back on campus.

“I came to the running back meeting a little late, but (Hinton) sat me down and talked to me, told me how important I was for them,” Mahone said. “He really wanted me to talk to (Keith) Marshall and we talked a lot. Coach Warinner sat down with me while we ate and it was just a really good time.”

Mahone has been on Marshall, a five-star running back from North Carolina, since committing to Notre Dame himself.

“He really enjoyed himself,” Mahone said of Marshall. “I don’t know where else he plans on going. We were texting all this week before the visit and he texted me (Sunday) just saying he was having a good time. He talks to Coach (Brian) Kelly (Monday), so he’ll probably text me after that and tell me how that was. All I can do is tell him that we’re trying to build a dynasty here.”

Mahone and Marshall have also been in contact via Twitter, but Mahone thought his pitches were more effective in person.

“You can be more convincing and we were actually there so you can show him some stuff and talk to other people about some things,” said Mahone. “It was definitely better being able to talk face to face rather than Twitter or texting.

“He had some questions about the running back situation. His dad asked me who number 34 (George Atkinson III) was and what grade he was in. He asked things about school and things like that. I’m pretty sure he’s really interested and I’m pretty sure we have a chance at getting him, we just have to wait and see.”

Mahone also talked to Washington running back/receiver KeiVarae Russell, but didn’t see California running back Byron Marshall. Both West Coast athletes were on official visits to Notre Dame.

Cierre Wood and Jonas Gray only had a combined 14 rushing attempts against the Trojans, but that didn’t discourage Mahone.

“I still think they try to get them involved,” he said. “They were still throwing the ball to Jonas Gray and Cierre Wood. I still think they try to get them their touches and I was very pleased with that because I do like to catch the ball out of the backfield and line up at receiver.”

Mahone’s teammate, 2013 defensive lineman Billy Price, already holds an offer from Notre Dame and was also on campus this weekend for an unofficial visit.

“Billy had a really good time I think,” Mahone said. “I didn’t get a chance to talk to him after the game, but I’ll talk to him tomorrow or text him tonight. While we were there, we ate with him and he said he was having a really good time.”

IrishFan123
11-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Meeting with coach Warriner( His recruiting coach not Hinton) over dinner as we speak

Purebred Irishman
11-30-2011, 07:12 AM
Warinner Checks In On Mahone (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/6044-warinner-checks-in-on-mahone)

Notre Dame assistant coach Ed Warinner traveled to Ohio on Monday to check in on the Irish’s only running back commitment in the Class of 2012, Will Mahone (Austintown, Ohio/Fitch).

“It was good,” Mahone said of his meeting with his recruiter. “We talked about a little bit of everything. We talked about some recruits that he was going to see and stuff and my basketball team. We talked about a lot of stuff, just life. It was a good time.”

Mahone, who committed to the Irish in September, saw the Irish play Michigan State and USC in South Bend this fall. Mahone and his mother were excited for the opportunity to visit with Warinner again.

“It was my first time seeing him since the USC game,” Mahone said. “It was just catching up with each other. Everything went smoothly and we had a good time.”

Mahone’s senior football season didn’t go the way he had hoped as Fitch didn’t make the playoffs and he was nagged by multiple injuries, but he’s hoping for a positive basketball season.

“It’s going real good,” he said. “We’re looking a lot better than the team has been lately.”

Mahone is excited about returning to the court after not playing as a junior.

“Basketball was my favorite sport growing up,” he said. “It feels good to be out there with my team again. All of us are enjoying each other and we have a good chemistry.”

Mahone is confident that he’ll be as prepared as he can be for the rigors of college football by the time he arrives in South Bend next summer.

“Coach has always told me to stay in the weight room,” he said. “Other than that, I think they trust me that I’ll do whatever I need to do to come and be ready at Notre Dame. I think I know what I need to do to play at the level I need to.”

Warinner told Mahone that Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly and running backs coach Tim Hinton would be out to see him next week.

“He said Coach Kelly will be out with Coach Hinton on Dec. 8th,” Mahone said. “They’ll either meet with my coach or my principal and then call me in. My mom is coming in too. We’ll have a while to talk and ask any questions we have. Other than that, it’s just a talk and visit.”

Mahone was surprised to hear about concerns among some Irish fans about him possibly listening to Ohio State now that Urban Meyer is the head coach.

“I never heard anything from Ohio State beforehand, I don’t know why it would change now,” said Mahone. “I’m pretty sure their running backs will want to stay there, Brionte Dunn and Warren Ball.”

And Mahone is content with his decision even if Meyer and the Buckeyes did come calling.

“Urban Meyer is a great coach, but I’m on the Notre Dame train here.”

IrishFan123
12-19-2011, 08:04 PM
@iWill_doiterdayWilliam Mahone

I know something y'all don't know ahaha

#NDNation stand UP!!

Edit:If I'm wrong whatever but when it's all said and done #ND might have a top 5 recruiting class #RealTalk

I hate to speculate but could be gunner...stay tuned

Purebred Irishman
12-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Mahone Excels On Court Too (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/6202-mahone-excels-on-court-too)

Before fully devoting himself to becoming a member of the Notre Dame football team, Will Mahone is taking advantage of the opportunity to do something he truly loves, play basketball.

Mahone, an Irish running back commit from Austintown, Ohio, didn’t play hoops for Fitch High School as a junior, but is back on the court for his final year of high school.

“I’ve always liked basketball,” Mahone said. “Basketball was actually my main sport, I was trying to get to college for that, but football came along. Not that I don’t like football or anything, but I always thought basketball was going to be my sport.”

The 5-foot-11, 215-pounder plays shooting guard for the Falcons.

“I actually like to play point guard, but I’m the two-guard at our school because I can shoot, I guess,” said Mahone. “I’m doing good. I’m averaging 24 points a game. I had 37 the other week. I’m doing pretty good, but I’m just trying to get some more wins.”

Fitch is 2-3 on the season.

“All of our games have been close,” Mahone said. “We lost in triple-overtime and then two games by three.”

Fitch’s last game was close too, but a three-pointer from Mahone as the buzzer sounded gave the Falcons a 52-49 victory over Newton Falls on Tuesday. Mahone finished with a game-high 23 points and knocked down four three-pointers, including three in the final quarter.

As Fitch fights to get back to .500, Mahone is seeing signs of progress.

“It’s definitely a better season,” he said. “We used to be a really bad basketball program. One season we only won one game, last season we only won four. We’re definitely getting better and coming together as a team.”

Mahone is still looking forward to arriving at Notre Dame for good and hosted Irish head coach Brian Kelly at his school earlier this month.

“It went really good,” he said. “Coach Kelly was just making sure everything was good; making sure I was keeping in school and now with basketball going. He just gave me some dates for the spring game and when I’ll come down and when he’ll possibly be back. Just a lot of catching up.”

“My mom was there, my principal was there, my coach and my guidance counselor. It was a good time. A lot of the teachers were in the main office getting autographs and stuff and leaving classes.”

Mahone was proud to host Kelly at Fitch, especially with rumors swirling of a possible stop from new Ohio State coach Urban Meyer to check on one of Mahone’s teammates, junior defensive lineman Billy Price.

“I don’t know if it was me or Billy,” said Mahone. “He’s big-time, so I’m pretty sure they were coming in to see him. I haven’t talked to Ohio State in a while.”

Either way, Meyer never made it in, but Irish running backs coach Tim Hinton did join Kelly on the visit.

Mahone’s mom was delighted when he chose Notre Dame and was also excited to see both of the Irish coaches.

“They had a good conversation and she got pictures,” Mahone said. “She was all excited about Ireland. She only wants to go if she thinks I’m going to be out there. She kind of asked them if I was going to be playing. He gave a very respectful. He said he doesn’t see why I wouldn’t be, but we’ll see the first two weeks I get up there and see how I do.

“It was nice that Coach Kelly came in to see my surroundings and what I’m surrounded by. It was really nice.”

ChicagoIrish
12-23-2011, 12:27 PM
I really like this kid.

IrishFan123
12-29-2011, 04:28 PM
BGI_JasonSapp #NotreDame RB commit Will Mahone continues doing work on the recruiting trail...

RT @iWill_doiterday: @Devin7Fuller we need that qb now!

NDgrandson
01-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Just wanted to bump a recruit who we really needed and he has been an unselfish and committed recruiter for us. This guy is an all around back that can definitely take it between the tackles. Looking forward to his rapid development. That, and he is not in any all star game. So I thought I would bump him here.

adamsfamily03
01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
BGI_JasonSapp #NotreDame RB commit Will Mahone continues doing work on the recruiting trail...
GREAT kid for us. GO IRISH!

IrishFan123
01-09-2012, 12:23 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9D8WltuuXCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Purebred Irishman
04-21-2012, 03:56 AM
Mahone Excited To Return (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/6899-mahone-excited-to-return)

Will Mahone is hoping he’ll get the chance to get back to Notre Dame again before he moves into college in June, but he knows that this weekend could be his last time in South Bend before he arrives as a college freshman.

“Probably, but I don’t know,” said Mahone. “I would hope not, but it could be.”

Either way, the 5-foot-11, 215-pound running back from Austintown, Ohio (Fitch High School) is looking forward to this weekend’s Blue-Gold Game.

“I’m pretty excited,” he said. “I want to see what the offense and defense have been up to and see how they go against each other.”

Mahone is also looking forward to spending time with his future teammates and classmates in the Class of 2012.

“It’ll be good,” he said. “We’ll get to talk to each other and get everyone’s feelings about what they expect when they get down there for good and what they expect to do for the team and just getting to know each other even better.”

Mahone has been on campus multiple times since committing and has kept in touch with several members of his class, but he thinks there’s still more room for the class to grow together.

“I still don’t think we all know each other as well as we should,” he said. “It’s hard because we’re all from all over the place, but it’ll definitely be a good experience.”

One recruit the Ohio running back has kept in touch with is Florida wide receiver Justin Ferguson.

“I talked to Ferguson a little bit,” he said. “I was actually in Florida and I was trying to meet up with him a little bit, but we were pretty far away from each other. I’ve kept in touch with some people, so it’s definitely a good thing.”

In addition to his own class, Mahone has been paying attention to Notre Dame’s recruiting efforts in the Class of 2013, especially the four offensive linemen the Irish already have committed.

“I know we’re getting to the top of the list,” he said. “We’ve got a lot of linemen. We just need to get a couple of skill players and we’ll be set.”

Mahone is looking forward to helping add to the Class of 2013 and will try to do his part with any junior recruits visiting this weekend.

“Oh yeah, definitely,” he said. “I’m definitely going to talk to them.”

But more than anything, Mahone is excited about getting to Notre Dame for good and beginning his college career.

“Yeah, I’m definitely getting excited about it. I’m ready to work and start winning some games.”

Purebred Irishman
06-15-2012, 04:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/notre-dame-football/post/_/id/7019/qa-with-william-mahone

Count William Mahone's mother among those who enjoy Brian Kelly's sideline tirades.

"I can't wait till he gets in William's face," Celia Mahone said. "I said, 'What are you going to do?' He said, 'Nothing.' I said, 'That's right.' "

William (Youngstown, Ohio/Austintown Fitch) joked that his mother won't miss him when he's off to college this weekend. Celia said she is ready for her only child to move on. They will probably celebrate the next step by having one more of their many movie nights together this week before making the 300-plus mile trip west to Notre Dame. William recently spoke about the start of his Irish career.

What's the feeling like now as you're about a week away from college?

William Mahone: I'm pretty excited. I just wanna get started and get involved with my teammates and get to work.

What have you been doing to stay in shape and be ready when you get there?

WM: Coach [Tony] Alford gave me the formation stuff a while ago. I've been going through that a lot and all my conditioning stuff and just working out and staying focused.

Do you know what you'll major in?

WM: I'm gonna wait to decide on that. I really don't know what I want to do in school yet so we'll see. I just want to get the hang of school first and find out what I want to do.

How much are you in touch with guys there?

WM: I talked to a lot of guys. Eilar [Hardy] and Matthias [Farley], they say it's tough but you get used to it and enjoy it. And it's nothing you can't handle but you've got to be strong-minded about it. But all of that is encouraging words from all of these players, so I'm pretty excited about coming down.

Have you talked to Gunner Kiel or Sheldon Day about being there already?

WM: I talked to Sheldon after the spring game and everything. He loves it down there, he's real cool about it. My mom and his mom know each other pretty good so they talk sometimes. So yeah, it's definitely a good thing being down there early and being able to help each other when we get down there.

Lots of depth in the backfield. How are you going to stand out?

WM: I'm gonna just try to do everything I can: block well, run well, catch well -- just try to be an athlete and do whatever I can to get on the field and help the team out. I know they use a lot of running backs for the slot and at running back, that was shown in the spring game and some of last year. So I feel like I fit in well doing that. I feel like blocking is an asset I have at running back, being that I'm bigger than most of them. So I hope that I can come in and compete and earn a spot there.

Are there any background ties to Notre Dame? How did it ultimately seem like the right fit?

WM: Honestly a lot of people around my area have attended Notre Dame or just followed it a lot. Around my area it's a lot of Ohio State and Notre Dame people, so a lot of people have been giving me information and telling me exciting things about it. Actually, I think it was Sunday I went to my girlfriend's dinner and her cousin's boyfriend is actually there right now, I think he'll be a senior next year. He was just talking to me about it and how the campus is and we were chatting it up about it so I feel I have a good understanding of what I'm getting myself into and am very excited about it.

Do you know what number you'll wear yet?

WM: I haven't talked to the coaches about it but want to get like 21 or 2. Those are the only numbers I can see that are available on offense.

Do you have any big plans before finally leaving for school?

WM: Not really. I had my graduation party last week, which was pretty good. Good turnout, good time, had a lot of family come in from out of town and that was pretty exciting, to get to see them. But really just hanging out with people that have been really instrumental in my life before I leave and just try to make the best of it.

How far is Notre Dame from you? How are your friends and family dealing with the move?

WM: It's 4.5, five hours, so it's not that bad. [My mother] keeps saying she's not going to miss me but I think she always will. Only child and stuff. This is what she was really hoping for, so just got to make her proud.

HoffVir
06-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Eric Hansen ‏@hansenNDInsider (https://twitter.com/hansenNDInsider)
It appears 3 of the 5 charges #NotreDame (https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash) reserve WR Will Mahone is facing are felonies. He was arrested Sun. in Ohio: http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/notredame/football/notre-dame-football-reserve-will-mahone-arrested/article_21e90576-f503-11e3-a12c-001a4bcf6878.html … (http://t.co/wIW0nsfUn8)
11:19 PM - 15 Jun 2014

NotreDameNate
06-15-2014, 11:58 PM
That doesn't sound good, at all. 3 of 5 charges are felonies, yikes! Just for his future in general, I hope they don't stick... that's a rough road to haul if they do.

HoffVir
07-07-2014, 10:03 PM
WR Mahone no longer enrolled at Notre Dame
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/southbendtribune.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/9b/89b2aef8-063f-11e4-aea9-001a4bcf6878/53bb4a177dd77.preview-300.jpg (http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/notredame/football/wr-mahone-no-longer-enrolled-at-notre-dame/article_014f751e-063f-11e4-bc87-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=image&photo=0)
South Bend Tribune/ROBERT FRANKLIN Notre Dame's Will Mahone (32) during the Blue-Gold Spring Football game at Notre Dame Stadium on Saturday, April 20, 2013, in South Bend. (SBT Photo/ROBERT FRANKLIN)

Posted: Monday, July 7, 2014 9:27 pm | Updated: 9:34 pm, Mon Jul 7, 2014.
BOB WIENEKE South Bend Tribune

Junior wide receiver Will Mahone, whose arrest last month resulted in five charges, three of them felonies, is not enrolled at Notre Dame, a university spokesman confirmed Monday.

After Mahone’s arrest last month in Austintown, Ohio, Irish football coach Brian Kelly suspended Mahone indefinitely from all football-related activities.

James Gentile, Mahone’s attorney, said Monday night that Mahone would like to return to Notre Dame. But, Gentile said, Mahone is of the understanding that he will not be allowed to return to the school as long as the felony charges against him are pending.

“That’s what the school has told him,” Gentile said. “If for some reason those felonies are reduced or something happens, then he’s free to reapply.”

Mahone, meanwhile, appeared in Mahoning (Ohio) County Court Monday evening for a pre-trial hearing at which a July 23 preliminary hearing was set. Mahone is not required to enter a plea on the felony charges until after the preliminary hearing. He has entered not guilty pleas on the misdemeanors.

Mahone was in attendance at Monday night’s hearing, along with approximately 30-40 supporters, according to Gentile.

“He’s working hard. He’s doing a lot of things to straighten himself out. He’s working hard on himself right now,” Gentile said. “He’s trying to understand what happened here and why it happened and maybe address some of the issues. That’s what he’s trying to do.”

Mahone, 20, was arrested June 14 in his hometown of Austintown, Ohio, after police were called to respond to a fight. His felony charges include assault of a police officer, intimidation of a public servant/party official and vandalism of a government entity. He also was charged with misdemeanor resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

According to a police report filed by the Austintown Police Department, police were told that Mahone was highly intoxicated and head-butting and punching vehicles and trying to fight several people.

Police say after an officer told Mahone to calm down and get on the ground, Mahone responded with “(Expletive), white boy.” Police say that an officer then took Mahone to the ground but he repeatedly resisted arrest.

Once Mahone was able to be handcuffed, police claim, he responded, “(Expletive), you white piece of (expletive). Take these cuffs off and I’ll kill you. I’ll (expletive) kill you.”

As the behavior escalated, the officer rerouted to Mahoning County Justice Center for incarceration. Mahone is accused of then stating to the officer, “Bro, when I get out, I got a Glock 9 for your (expletive),” referring to a handgun.

Mahone came to Notre Dame as a running back but later shifted to slot receiver. He did not play as a freshman in 2012 and appeared in two games last season. Mahone missed 2014 spring practice after undergoing offseason foot surgery.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/notredame/football/wr-mahone-no-longer-enrolled-at-notre-dame/article_014f751e-063f-11e4-bc87-001a4bcf6878.html?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_campaign=hootsuite

JDriveSthND
07-07-2014, 10:34 PM
WR Mahone no longer enrolled at Notre Dame
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/southbendtribune.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/9b/89b2aef8-063f-11e4-aea9-001a4bcf6878/53bb4a177dd77.preview-300.jpg (http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/notredame/football/wr-mahone-no-longer-enrolled-at-notre-dame/article_014f751e-063f-11e4-bc87-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=image&photo=0)
South Bend Tribune/ROBERT FRANKLIN Notre Dame's Will Mahone (32) during the Blue-Gold Spring Football game at Notre Dame Stadium on Saturday, April 20, 2013, in South Bend. (SBT Photo/ROBERT FRANKLIN)

Posted: Monday, July 7, 2014 9:27 pm | Updated: 9:34 pm, Mon Jul 7, 2014.
BOB WIENEKE South Bend Tribune

Junior wide receiver Will Mahone, whose arrest last month resulted in five charges, three of them felonies, is not enrolled at Notre Dame, a university spokesman confirmed Monday.

After Mahone’s arrest last month in Austintown, Ohio, Irish football coach Brian Kelly suspended Mahone indefinitely from all football-related activities.

James Gentile, Mahone’s attorney, said Monday night that Mahone would like to return to Notre Dame. But, Gentile said, Mahone is of the understanding that he will not be allowed to return to the school as long as the felony charges against him are pending.

“That’s what the school has told him,” Gentile said. “If for some reason those felonies are reduced or something happens, then he’s free to reapply.”

Mahone, meanwhile, appeared in Mahoning (Ohio) County Court Monday evening for a pre-trial hearing at which a July 23 preliminary hearing was set. Mahone is not required to enter a plea on the felony charges until after the preliminary hearing. He has entered not guilty pleas on the misdemeanors.

Mahone was in attendance at Monday night’s hearing, along with approximately 30-40 supporters, according to Gentile.

“He’s working hard. He’s doing a lot of things to straighten himself out. He’s working hard on himself right now,” Gentile said. “He’s trying to understand what happened here and why it happened and maybe address some of the issues. That’s what he’s trying to do.”

Mahone, 20, was arrested June 14 in his hometown of Austintown, Ohio, after police were called to respond to a fight. His felony charges include assault of a police officer, intimidation of a public servant/party official and vandalism of a government entity. He also was charged with misdemeanor resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

According to a police report filed by the Austintown Police Department, police were told that Mahone was highly intoxicated and head-butting and punching vehicles and trying to fight several people.

Police say after an officer told Mahone to calm down and get on the ground, Mahone responded with “(Expletive), white boy.” Police say that an officer then took Mahone to the ground but he repeatedly resisted arrest.

Once Mahone was able to be handcuffed, police claim, he responded, “(Expletive), you white piece of (expletive). Take these cuffs off and I’ll kill you. I’ll (expletive) kill you.”

As the behavior escalated, the officer rerouted to Mahoning County Justice Center for incarceration. Mahone is accused of then stating to the officer, “Bro, when I get out, I got a Glock 9 for your (expletive),” referring to a handgun.

Mahone came to Notre Dame as a running back but later shifted to slot receiver. He did not play as a freshman in 2012 and appeared in two games last season. Mahone missed 2014 spring practice after undergoing offseason foot surgery.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/notredame/football/wr-mahone-no-longer-enrolled-at-notre-dame/article_014f751e-063f-11e4-bc87-001a4bcf6878.html?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_campaign=hootsuite

And our class size swells again.

IrishDodger
07-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Report: Will Mahone no longer enrolled at Notre Dame

A few weeks after being suspended indefinitely from the football team, Irish wide receiver Will Mahone is no longer enrolled at Notre Dame.

The South Bend Tribune’s Bob Wieneke confirmed with the university the news that Mahone is out. The reserve receiver faces five charges — including three felonies — for a fight and resisting arrest after an incident in his hometown of Austintown, Ohio on June 14.

It appears that the felony charges are the sticking point that will keep Mahone out of Notre Dame, according to Wieneke, who spoke with Mahone’s attorney.

This from Wieneke’s report:

Mahone has pled not guilty to the misdemeanor charges, and has until a pretrial hearing in mid-July to decide how to handle the felony charges. But if we’re to read between the lines, it appears Mahone is doing his best to be proactive and repent for his mistakes, something his lawyer (and a reported 30-40 supporters who showed up at Mahoning County Court) talked about with Wieneke.

“He’s working hard. He’s doing a lot of things to straighten himself out. He’s working hard on himself right now,” Gentile told the Tribune. “He’s trying to understand what happened here and why it happened and maybe address some of the issues. That’s what he’s trying to do.”

Mahone was a reserve slot receiver for the Irish, his second position at Notre Dame after struggling to crack the depth chart at running back. He’s a junior with three years of eligibility remaining.

stonebreakerwasgod
07-08-2014, 12:05 PM
He aint coming back, regardless of what happens in court.

LOVEMYIRISH
07-08-2014, 04:13 PM
He aint coming back, regardless of what happens in court.

Most likely.

I hope for his sake he sorts himself out. I wish him all the best in the future. Be smart, straighten out, move forward.

NotreDameNate
07-08-2014, 04:16 PM
^ This

He has plenty of time to get it turned around, and I mean in life. Football should be a distant memory for now.

isotopes
07-23-2014, 09:34 PM
@PeteByrneWSBT: Former #NotreDame football player WIll Mahone sentenced to 10 days in Ohio + 1 year probation. http://t.co/wVHjmZswrz

stonebreakerwasgod
07-24-2014, 10:13 AM
That seems pretty light.