PDA

View Full Version : '07 NJ WR Duval Kamara

NDgrandson
11-14-2010, 12:39 AM
I figure it's a fine time to start a Duval Kamara thread. Yikes! I just wanted to bring up that he came up huge in his last appearance at ND Stadium. He hit the scene in a big way his FR year and has been an after thought since. Glad he can finish up with today's great memories.

stonebreakerwasgod
11-14-2010, 12:47 AM
He ran good routes today and hung on to the ball. Nice job DK.

rontdtarchala
11-14-2010, 02:13 AM
they actully looked like a team yesterday... now we need to make it to a bowl game...any bowl game and get some serious recruiting going for next year... thank you Lord for our win

NDisNCin2010
11-23-2010, 03:05 PM
http://www.nj.com/sports/jjournal/index.ssf?/base/sports-6/1290497147224780.xml&coll=3&thispage=2

Former Hoboken Red Wings star is getting back in action at Notre Dame - Page 2
When Notre Dame wide receiver Duval Kamara caught two touchdown passes in the 24-3 win by the Fighting Irish over Utah on Nov. 13, it was like bringing back a forgotten favorite.

"There's a football Duval and a social Duval," said Lou Taglieri, his coach from Hoboken High. "He was very aggressive, but after the games he was always smiling and saying he could wait to get his turn."

Kamara is getting his turn to shine now, after a series of setbacks dampened his prospects.

The Jersey City native and Hoboken High School graduate was a top recruit for Notre Dame and had a successful freshman year. He broke two school freshman records in 2007, with an impressive 32 receptions, four for touchdowns as a wide receiver.

He was a rising star in every way until freshman Michael Floyd stepped in the following year, breaking Kamara's records and setting a couple more.

Floyd took the spotlight for the next two years, and Kamara's receptions began to dwindle. At the beginning of his senior year in September, Kamara injured his knee and was out for six games. It wasn't until Floyd cut his leg open from a fall behind the end zone that Kamara got his turn back.

But he isn't flaunting his surge in popularity. If you talk to him for a few minutes, he inevitably gets nostalgic for his high school days.

"I loved Friday nights, with the lights and the music. It was a great atmosphere," Kamara said. "I miss it all the time."

Kamara was rated the number one prospect in New Jersey by Rivals.com, the sixth best wide receiver in the nation and 34th best prospect in the nation by the recruiting website, according to Notre Dame's stat page.

The Associated Press and Star-Ledger selected him for all-state first team accolades. Scout.com nominated him the seventh best wide receiver, and the 63rd best prospect overall. The list goes on.

One of Kamara's fondest memories is the state championship at Giants Stadium, where the Hoboken Red Wings beat Verona High 21-6.

His high school career was no less thrilling at times than at Notre Dame. The business aspect of college athletics changes the rhythm, even if it hasn't changed him.

"I'm still the same Duval," he said. "I'm still just a goofy kid from Jersey City who loves to play ball."

But despite the added business end of things, college football is not without its distinct charm and excitement. For instance, the intimidation of 80,000 screaming fans and a national spotlight shook his nerves for his first couple of games.

"After a couple of catches, I was good," he laughed.

Kamara is studying sociology, and has a lot of faith in his college degree - but football is still his focus, and he hopes, his future.

Taglieri has kept faith in his former pupil, who says the two speak on the phone regularly.

"I'll always remember one game we had against Hudson Catholic. Duval had caught a pass, and he was running to the end zone when he was pushed out of bounds," Taglieri said.

"You didn't think anything of it at first, but he had compound fracture in his finger. The bone was sticking out. Anyone else would be out of the game, but they popped it back in place and butterflied it, and he gets back in for the rest of the game. They operated on his finger that Monday."

2010 Jersey Journal
2010 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

CULion17
12-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Not coming to El Paso due to personal reasons.

step30044
12-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Not coming to El Paso due to personal reasons.

That sucks I was looking forward to seeing him start his last game. Any idea why?

NotreDameNate
12-27-2010, 06:28 PM
This is a strange one to me. Hopefully nothing to serious.

fightenmick2
12-28-2010, 01:41 AM
read between the lines

notredomer23
12-28-2010, 08:37 AM
read between the lines

how? he was slated as a starter for the game

CULion17
12-28-2010, 08:49 AM
I think grades. A few days ago he posted on his twitter he felt targeted by one of his professors.

notredomer23
12-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I think grades. A few days ago he posted on his twitter he felt targeted by one of his professors.

after listening to Kelly's presser this morning it mightve been more than that. just speculation on my part.

lowayne
12-28-2010, 11:33 AM
I am actually bummed about this. In the last couple games BK started putting Floyd and Kamara out at the same time and it was a matchup nightmare for the D. Kamara had been playing well.

NotreDameNate
12-28-2010, 05:08 PM
I thought grades at first, but I didn't really think of that as the issue because I figured he has had plenty of time to figure that out, being a senior and all.

I don't know what to think. Other than it sucks. I was hoping for a nice game from him so he could close out his ND career on a good note.

Sparks inda Loo
12-28-2010, 07:46 PM
I am actually bummed about this. In the last couple games BK started putting Floyd and Kamara out at the same time and it was a matchup nightmare for the D. Kamara had been playing well.

Agree. I was really pulling for him to have a big game. Oh well, next man in.

irishunclebill
01-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I thought grades at first, but I didn't really think of that as the issue because I figured he has had plenty of time to figure that out, being a senior and all.

I don't know what to think. Other than it sucks. I was hoping for a nice game from him so he could close out his ND career on a good note.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20110103/SPORTS13/110109896/1021/Sports

It has been confirmed that senior wide receiver Duval Kamara, who missed the Sun Bowl for personal reasons, is not enrolled in school for the spring semester.

Interestingly, there are rumblings that Clausen will be. He was 12 credit hours short of his degree when he opted to enter the draft early.

NDisNCin2010
01-10-2011, 10:23 AM
so Duval advances towards getting his ND degree all the way to his senior year, the last semester, and now he is home in NJ?
will he have chance to go back for the degree?

what a shame it would be for him not to get the ND degree.

jbrown_9999
01-10-2011, 11:04 AM
so Duval advances towards getting his ND degree all the way to his senior year, the last semester, and now he is home in NJ?
will he have chance to go back for the degree?

what a shame it would be for him not to get the ND degree.
Does he have to return to campus or could he take classes locally and transfer the credits and still get a degree from ND?

irishunclebill
04-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Source is the Bleacher Report so who knows if it is accurate, but according to them Kamara will be at ND's Pro Day today. That is kind of interesting considering how his ND football career ended, but if he does indeed attend it means he must have not burned any bridges with the football program despite his problems with the university.

Other attendees according to the Bleacher Report article:

Kyle Rudolph
Armando Allen
Robert Hughes
Kerry Neal
Brian Smith
Chris Stewart
Darren Walls
Ian Williams

If you really want to read the article it is linked below, but remember all of the comments are from a Bleacher Report nimrod.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/655375-notre-dame-pro-day-whos-getting-drafted

lowayne
04-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I think a number of these guys will end up in the NFL. I still think Kamara has some upside also.

Synoptico
04-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Source is the Bleacher Report so who knows if it is accurate, but according to them Kamara will be at ND's Pro Day today. That is kind of interesting considering how his ND football career ended, but if he does indeed attend it means he must have not burned any bridges with the football program despite his problems with the university.

Kyle Rudolph
Armando Allen
Robert Hughes
Kerry Neal
Brian Smith
Chris Stewart
Darren Walls
Ian Williams

If you really want to read the article it is linked below, but remember all of the comments are from a Bleacher Report nimrod.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/655375-notre-dame-pro-day-whos-getting-drafted

He will be and this is not all that surprising given the scouting rules.

Players are allowed to workout within 50 miles (I believe) of either a) of their college campus or b) of their hometown.

Many IAA schools send their kids to Pro Days at larger state schools. For example, at NC States pro day they had players from Elon, and North Carolina Central.

They do this for a couple reasons. First, to give exposure to smaller schools. Second, it allows more guys to work out, which can attract more teams and scouts. Lastly, this year with the lockout teams can not have NFL players participating in workouts. In years past NFL QB's would come back and work out the WRs. For example this year AJ Green had to was not allowed to have scouts in attendance at the Pro Day because his QB did not fit the above location requirements . The scouts had to be in the football center and watch it on TV.

Richt mentioned that in previous years they would have had Stafford come down for the pro day and the problem would have been solved.

I don't think Kamara is really an indication of how many bridges he may or may not have burned but instead just the scouting system that is set up. I believe Clarrett worked out at OSU after all his incidents too.

Lastly, often times pro days have an impact on underclassmen still enrolled. This also gives the scouts an opportunity to view them up close.

A great book on the process is call "The Draft" which follows players from college to the draft.

Synoptico
04-07-2011, 12:48 PM
ChiTribHamilton Brian Hamilton
Guy throwing to Kyle Rudolph at #NotreDame pro day is a former Elder HS QB. Other options - Cassel, Brohm - scuttled due to lockout.

Tweet from Brian Hamilton that shows how the lockout is also playing a factor. Must be a nice day for that guy ha.

irishunclebill
04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
He will be and this is not all that surprising given the scouting rules.

Players are allowed to workout within 50 miles (I believe) of either a) of their college campus or b) of their hometown.

Many IAA schools send their kids to Pro Days at larger state schools. For example, at NC States pro day they had players from Elon, and North Carolina Central.

They do this for a couple reasons. First, to give exposure to smaller schools. Second, it allows more guys to work out, which can attract more teams and scouts. Lastly, this year with the lockout teams can not have NFL players participating in workouts. In years past NFL QB's would come back and work out the WRs. For example this year AJ Green had to was not allowed to have scouts in attendance at the Pro Day because his QB did not fit the above location requirements . The scouts had to be in the football center and watch it on TV.

Richt mentioned that in previous years they would have had Stafford come down for the pro day and the problem would have been solved.

I don't think Kamara is really an indication of how many bridges he may or may not have burned but instead just the scouting system that is set up. I believe Clarrett worked out at OSU after all his incidents too.

Lastly, often times pro days have an impact on underclassmen still enrolled. This also gives the scouts an opportunity to view them up close.

A great book on the process is call "The Draft" which follows players from college to the draft.

Don't you still have to be invited by someone at the University in order to attend?

Synoptico
04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Don't you still have to be invited by someone at the University in order to attend?

I believe it is more of a formality than like an invite to the combine.

Plus, if a scout wants someone there, they will be there. The schools want to please the NFL people.

irishunclebill
04-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Kyle Rudolph
Armando Allen
Robert Hughes
Kerry Neal
Brian Smith
Chris Stewart
Darren Walls
Ian Williams

It's confirmed that Kamara and everyone else listed did attend the Pro Day.

Also Kamara said that his academic issue has been resolved and he is on target to graduate in May, which contradicts what the SBT reported in early January when they said Kamara was not even enrolled at ND this semester. Kamara is in fact listed in the ND directory so it appears the SBT was wrong in January. It's great news for Duval if he does not get anywhere NFL wise if he is at least able to leave ND this May with his degree.