PDA

View Full Version : '11 CA CB Josh Atkinson (9/12/10 Notre Dame LOI)

irishunclebill
04-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Cornerback
Granada High School (Livermore, CA)

Links of Interest:
Rivals Profile (http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Josh-Atkinson-108624)

Height: 6 foot-0
Weight: 180 lbs.
Forty: 4.47 secs.
Bench Max:
Squat Max:
Shuttle:
Vertical:
GPA:

Multimedia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zy06Nxocr8

irishunclebill
Josh Atkinson
http://i40.tinypic.com/2elc8kn.jpg

irishunclebill
Time to set up a profile for Josh now with ND's interest in his twin brother now being somewhat reciprocated and with the news that both George and Josh might camp at ND this summer.

Josh is now also starting to accumulate some offers with Arizona, Oregon, Oregon State, San Jose State, Syracuse, Utah, Washington, and Washington State having tossed their hat in the ring. Not surprisingly all of those schools except Syracuse and Utah have also offered George.

robdog_5
05-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Not interested in the offer a brother/close friend to get the stud, but CB is a position we need a kid and if he's a legit 6'0 and can run close to his brother, he should atleast geta look. Anybody seen his videos?

Jiggafini19
05-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Jalen Brown or Brandon Phelps would be better prospects at corner, no? Countess and Waisome are also on the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zy06Nxocr8

morrdave9
05-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Per Twitter

ISDUpdate Notre Dame Offers Josh Atkinson

zimmsbg78
05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Per Twitter

Beat me to it...............thanks dave.

irishunclebill
05-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Beat me to it...............thanks dave.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3340/3519464264_5242fa4d79.jpg

irishunclebill
05-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Offer Confirmed.

irishunclebill
05-20-2010, 12:31 PM
It's time for the twins to book those camp tickets for South Bend.

irishunclebill
05-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Just to give you an idea as to how important ND thinks the Atkinson twins are Kelly dispatched Coach Martin to go out to NorCal to do the evaluation period visit for Josh & George III.

SpanishElite
05-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Package Deal!!! :bigsmile:

step30044
05-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Package Deal!!! :bigsmile:

USC would be going for the buy one get one free :rofl:

Purebred Irishman
05-25-2010, 08:47 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/football/2574-recruiting-week-in-review

Notre Dame recently extended an offer to Josh Atkinson, CB, 6-1, 180, Granada High School, Livermore, CA. If that name sounds familiar to recruitniks it’s because his twin brother George has held an Irish offer for quite some time now.

“They’re (Notre Dame) one of my top schools I’m interested in,” said Atkinson. “I really like the program. We’ll see what happens after I take a visit.”

Notre Dame would love to get the Atkinson brothers on campus this summer and they would like to visit. However, the logistics of coming to South Bend from California could prove too daunting for that to occur. Nonetheless, it’s a sure bet that the Irish will get an official visit out of both of them in the fall.

“I like their tradition, it’s just amazing,” said Atkinson. “They’re all about football and they have a real good academic program as well and I’m really interested.”

Atkinson recently got a chance to speak to Notre Dame defensive backs coach Chuck Martin.

“He said they really like what I do in man-to-man coverage and my technique and everything,” recalled Atkinson. “They like my footwork. They said I have a high chance to start and make an impact and they wouldn’t redshirt me at all.”

Atkinson’s father George played and won a Super Bowl with the Oakland Raiders. He’s not easily impressed and Notre Dame has impressed him.

“Oh man, after he talked to the coach and everything, he was impressed with the program,” Josh Atkinson said of his father. “He said I’m a hard dude to impress and Notre Dame is impressing me. They stay on top of the football program and the players.”

While the Atkinson twins aren’t a package deal, they both admit there’s a good likelihood they’ll go to the same school. George has already earned an invitation to the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and Josh hopes to get one as well. If he does, he plans to announce there. If he does not, he’ll announce after his football season at his school.

NDgrandson
05-26-2010, 03:27 AM
Kind of reminds me of the Barber twins. A coworker of mine went to HS with them.

irishmarine
05-27-2010, 01:05 AM
With the rumored transfer it makes him that much more important.

zimmsbg78
06-29-2010, 02:17 PM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1098434 (free)

The Ducks are on top for Josh Atkinson, a three-star cornerback, who was one of the top prospects at Monday's camp. USC, Cal, UCLA and others interest him as well plus he has offers from Notre Dame, Washington and many other programs that have also offered his brother.

But Josh Atkinson said despite the belief that he and his brother will attend the same college that they're going through the process individually and will choose whichever program is best for them, that they're not a package deal.

"We're going to pick the school individually and if it's the same school then we'll be going to the same place," Josh Atkinson said.

"It's not really difficult. We're twins but we're individuals. We compete and we work hard, we think alike sometimes but when it comes to individual stuff we do our own things. We're still individuals."

Purebred Irishman
06-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Scout has Josh listed as a safety now

Irish Joe
06-29-2010, 04:25 PM
I hear their cousin Rowan has BC leading...

http://www.knowledgebase-script.com/demo/admin/attachments/rowan_atkinson.gif

NDgrandson
06-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Can we get the interpretation of his quotes? Is Josh saying he does not have interest in ND? I'd find that hard to believe seeing as he came from NorCal to ND for a camp. Is the position change an indication we are in fact done at CB and looking to fill hopefully 2 safety spots? Maybe Josh does not like safety and hence the lack of positve comments?

Griff Cannon
06-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Can we get the interpretation of his quotes? Is Josh saying he does not have interest in ND? I'd find that hard to believe seeing as he came from NorCal to ND for a camp. Is the position change an indication we are in fact done at CB and looking to fill hopefully 2 safety spots? Maybe Josh does not like safety and hence the lack of positve comments?

until he/they visit it doesn't really matter what they say, sounds like an iffy visit if at all right now so I am not holding my breath

NDgrandson
06-29-2010, 09:48 PM
I hear their cousin Rowan has BC leading...

http://www.knowledgebase-script.com/demo/admin/attachments/rowan_atkinson.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub1YI7LF3e8&feature=channel

He is hilarious. Reps.

irishunclebill
06-29-2010, 10:31 PM

:confused: Where is this coming from?

Irish Joe
06-30-2010, 12:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub1YI7LF3e8&feature=channel

He is hilarious. Reps.

Apparently the internet police got all uppity about my picture

NDgrandson
06-30-2010, 03:12 AM
:confused: Where is this coming from?

Ahhh. I understand better now. Josh was not at ND's camp. They were both at USC. I read all the info on the other recruits at NDs camp before ever knowing there was even a camp at USC. In the George Atkinson thread it mentions the USC camp specifically and I saw that after I read this thread. zimmsburg's post linked and article and quoted it, and there is no mention of which camp it was. I ASS U MEd. Just me looking like the ass though.

lowayne
06-30-2010, 03:22 AM
I ASS U MEd. Just me looking like the ass though.

This isn't meant to be tasteless towards James, but your avatar/profile picture features some male ass. Subliminal interference?

MojoMan
06-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Josh.....10.57 100m
George.10.61 100m

therizz
06-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Josh.....10.57 100m
George.10.61 100m

In that case, I only want Josh.

HoffVir
08-19-2010, 09:57 PM
ISDUpdate Josh Atkinson just informed ISD that Notre Dame is his leader.
4 minutes ago via web

Twitter

Irishlaw
08-19-2010, 10:02 PM
huge!

p_derms
08-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Yup, saw that too. Would be awesome to add Josh as a corner and George as a RB/WR to this class. Long, fast athletes, can't get enough of them! Gotta love it.
Close the deal Michigan weekend!

untitledproject
08-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Josh.....10.57 100m

We could really use that speed in the secondary.

Shamrock1221
08-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Wow.... didnt see that coming.

NDgrandson
08-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Twitter

Holy crap! That is HUUUUUUGE!

NDgrandson
08-20-2010, 12:50 AM
And his fb status...
"Really feelin Notre Dame... any thoughts?
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000478036738&ref=ts

7inLimp
08-20-2010, 01:12 AM
that link is private and since i do not friend 17 year kids on facebook can you tell us if he has received any "thoughts"?.......................

NDgrandson
08-20-2010, 01:28 AM
that link is private and since i do not friend 17 year kids on facebook can you tell us if he has received any "thoughts"?.......................

He hasn't really. Just mine.

http://notredame.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1115755&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

August 19, 2010

Irish a ‘perfect fit' for Atkinson?

Pete Sampson
IrishIllustrated.com

Notre Dame's recruiting run with Josh Atkinson constitutes a case of right place, right time, right depth chart. This 6-foot, 180-pound athlete from Livermore, Calif., believes he can help Notre Dame rebuild in the back.

...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now for a FREE Trial

Katzenboyer
08-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Josh and George would be a great step for this class.

Dayton_Domer
08-20-2010, 10:10 AM
that's great news. ND needs another DB (or 2) in this class.

morrdave9
08-20-2010, 10:56 AM
The recent attrition at DB is one of the reasons for this. Both he and George are looking for early PT and they both like everything that the school offers academics/support/alumini wise.

ND Fanatic
08-20-2010, 10:59 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/coach-ds-blog

For Atkinson, Notre Dame is Perfect
Written by Bryan Driskell Thursday, 19 August 2010 20:57

Senior cornerback Josh Atkinson (Livermore, Calif./Granada) went into the summer with a big goal. “I just wanted to prove that I am the best defensive back in the country,” said Atkinson. “I am going to work hard and show what I can do by taking advantage of every rep and every camp and show that I am a grinder and I am going to work hard.”

His focused attitude and hard work resulted in a successful summer for the 6-foot cornerback. “I think I did pretty well,” said Atkinson. “There were a few things I could have worked on better, like my off coverage, but my man and press coverage I think I did really good.”

Football has been a family affair with Atkinson for some time. His father, George Sr., was a former NFL safety for the Oakland Raiders. The elder Atkinson has been there for his sons from the beginning and is the reason for Josh’s strong work ethic. “He was there to make sure I was ready for the summer and to work hard to improve every single day,” said the younger Atkinson.

“That’s what me and my dad talk about all the time,” said the cornerback. “He tells us to just keep working hard and know that it will be infectious with the whole team and they will want to work at the same speed we work at.”

I asked Atkinson if the fact his brother (George) was the more highly regarded player served as motivation for him this summer. “Not really,” Atkinson explained, “My whole mind set going in from day one was working with my brother. I knew that my time would come and I was just patient with it. “

Atkinson and his brother are big supporters and encouragers of each other. “There is no jealousy here and I am a big supporter of him in whatever he does,” said Atkinson. “We (Josh and George Jr.) are just trying to set the bar for everybody else. He tells me what I am doing wrong coverage wise and I tell him what he can do better with route running and just push each other to get better.”

Recruiting is starting to narrow down a bit for the Granada standout. “I am starting to get there,” said Atkinson. “It is going to start to go down even more once the season kicks off.”

So who leads for Atkinson? “It is kind of a toss-up right now,” explained Atkinson. “I can’t say that I have one big favorite, but I do have a few schools on top. Notre Dame is on top, Oregon, Washington, Miami is nice, and I kind of like Arizona State.

“But Notre Dame really seems like a perfect fit for me though, but my options are still open and I am going to just sit down and make the best decision for myself,” elaborated Atkinson. “They are kind of out in front right now.”

Notre Dame has really grown on Atkinson as the summer has worn on. “I got to get some information about the depth chart and the cornerbacks that they have and it’s not real good right now,” explained Atkinson. “The coach (Chuck Martin) said they likely wouldn’t even redshirt me if I go there.”

Atkinson has also been influenced by outside sources whose counsel he has sought. “I have definitely been asking around about Notre Dame and I have gotten nothing but positive information about them,” said Atkinson. “That is definitely a plus and just hearing about the alumni system and the educational program.

“Now I just need to see the campus and really get the atmosphere of it,” said Atkinson. “They really need cornerbacks and that is definitely pushing me and it just seems perfect right now. What they do defensively is what I do best (press coverage).”

Atkinson’s father has taught his sons to grow as men, and in doing so will not push them to make a joint decision. “He (George, Sr.) wanted us to make our own decisions so we could become our own men,” said the younger Atkinson. “He didn’t want to push us toward a college and wants us to make our own choices.

That does not mean that Josh and his brother will go to separate campuses in the end. “He is saying we are both our own men and we both have to choose a school individually, but if we want to go to school together we have to pick a school that does what we both do best,” explained Atkinson.

“He just said to go where you can get early playing time and a place where you can make an early impact,” said the Granada standout. “It (not being pushed) has really made the decision a lot easier and he has been a tremendous help in what we are doing.”

Atkinson did mention that his father is a big fan of the current Notre Dame head man. “My dad has been a Coach Kelly fan since he was at Cincinnati,” said Atkinson. “It was just funny how he went to Notre Dame and now he is recruiting us there. I heard he is a great coach.”

COMMENTS: Atkinson is one of the more impressive young men I have had the pleasure of speaking with. He was polite, forthcoming, and really has a great attitude. He said all the right things, and it was not fake or phony. Josh knows what he is looking for in a school and has a great support system as he goes through his process. He really sounded thrilled about Notre Dame. After he told me that Notre Dame had a slight lead I asked him about Oregon, who was rumored to be his leader. Over the summer Atkinson has really been seeking out information about the Irish program, and the more he has heard the more he likes about it. The chance to play is huge, and he knows about the loss of E.J. Banks. The visit is going to be huge for Atkinson, but right now you have to like Notre Dame’s chances of landing a player at a position of great need. This one is not over with, as Atkinson really likes the programs at Oregon and Washington. He is visiting Oregon for the Portland State game and is working on setting up a visit to Washington. But Mike Denbrock and Chuck Martin have done a great job getting Notre Dame to the top of Atkinson’s list for the time being.

Sparks inda Loo
08-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Love it, love it, love it, Jennifer Love (Hew)-IT!

These young men have their heads screwed on right and I'd love to see them knock some blocks off at ND.

P.S. - Love it.

Griff Cannon
08-20-2010, 08:42 PM
he doesn't sound all that certain of his leader, maybe its just me but if he had been talking to an Oregon writer I think Oregon would be his "slight leader". Still sounds like ND is in the top 3 of those 5 teams

SpanishElite
08-20-2010, 08:45 PM
he doesn't sound all that certain of his leader, maybe its just me but if he had been talking to an Oregon writer I think Oregon would be his "slight leader". Still sounds like ND is in the top 3 of those 5 teams

I agree. I just dont get "ND is my leader" from that story. It seems like he is saying it SEEMS to be a perfect fit, but I still have to visit campus. And until he (and his brother because they seem like they will be a package deal) does I will hold off on thinking they are Irish.

untitledproject
08-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Baby Steps guys. It's a LOOOONG way to February.

Griff Cannon
08-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Baby Steps guys. It's a LOOOONG way to February.

I am not complaining at all, just preaching a bit of caution with him at this stage

NDgrandson
08-21-2010, 12:03 AM
It's a long way till Feb, but hopefully we get a verbal commitment that ends thier looking around at the ND / UM game.

JDNDSyrnafan
08-21-2010, 10:11 AM
doesn't have Josh having Notre dame as one of his schools he is considering. Sometimes I just don't get the scouting services. No wonder there is so much angst over the star ratings.

SpanishElite
08-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Scout.com sucks.

zimmsbg78
08-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Josh says he wants to set up two more OV's. One to Washington and Arizona State. With Miami, Bama and Oregon State a possible destination for his final OV.

Unless Miami and Bama offer or allow Josh to visit with his brother, I just don't see that as a possibility.

Dayton_Domer
09-10-2010, 09:55 AM
bump...

Irish
09-12-2010, 04:36 PM
The Atkinson brothers our Irish!!!!!

NDGirlzRock
09-12-2010, 05:20 PM
NUMA NUMA!!! Welcome to the Irish family!!!

Griff Cannon
09-12-2010, 05:21 PM
:partyon:

Irish Joe
09-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Double NUMA NUMA!!

wicket
09-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I think Josh might actually be the better of the two

Dayton_Domer
09-12-2010, 05:46 PM
don't care who's better...just happy to have them coming to ND!!!

ND needs athletes like the A Bros!!!

Congrats to Josh and George!!!

SouthernIrish
09-12-2010, 06:15 PM
OMG!! I am so happy. These guys are huge for ND. this takes the edge off of losing to scum. Thank you God. as stated in Georges thread.

Purebred Irishman
09-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Great decision by Josh and George !!! Go Irish

ALLND62
09-12-2010, 07:05 PM
I think Josh might actually be the better of the two

I don't think this is necessary.........they are both needed and I am glad they both are a part of ND.

untitledproject
09-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Numa Numa is old. Leave that played out joke in the Weis era.

Happy these two kids committed. George could be a lethal slot man.

step30044
09-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Wooooooooooo hoooooooooooooo

Go Irish

JMR8
09-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Welcome!

irishunclebill
09-12-2010, 08:19 PM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1125389

September 12, 2010

Irish Land Atkinson Brothers

Pete Sampson
IrishIllustrated.com Editor

Notre Dame lost a game this weekend, but the Irish gained a pair of commitments.

Twin brothers George and Josh Atkinson committed to Notre Dame on Sunday, giving the Irish help at the offensive skill positions and cornerback. George, a 6-foot-2, 194-pound athlete, could help at running back or receiver. Josh, a 6-foot, 180-pound cornerback, will help the Irish rebuild their depleted secondary.

Both brothers confirmed their commitments with Irish Illustrated, with their official visits continuing through the weekend into Monday. Look for more on Notre Dame's 17th and 18th verbal commitments once their visits conclude.

George committed to Notre Dame over offers from Alabama, USC, Miami and Oregon, flashing some of his multi-skilled talents the night before his official visit to South Bend. In a 56-42 win over Sierra, the Granada High School star scored on pass plays of 71 and 82 yards. In the second half he scored on runs of 14 and 62 yards.

The U.S. Army All-American had been high on the Irish since receiving his offer in March and had hoped to see Notre Dame during the summer. When the Irish offered Josh two months later the urgency for that trip intensified as Notre Dame became one of three schools alongside Oregon and Washington to seriously pursue the brothers in tandem.

Josh initially favored Oregon in his recruitment, but when Notre Dame lost E.J. Banks and Spencer Boyd this off-season the cornerback saw a strong opportunity for playing time in South Bend. That's when the Irish rose up his list, with Josh calling Notre Dame a "perfect place" to continue his football career.

The convergence of events pushed Notre Dame from contender to favorite status with the brothers, prompting a change in plans for George, who had wanted to announce his college choice at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in January.

That timetable moved up a few months thanks to the weekend's official visits. The pair watched Notre Dame's 28-24 loss to Michigan from the stands and spent part of Sunday checking out the campus bookstore alongside four-star safety Wayne Lyons.

The afternoon field trip won't be the last time these brothers walk the Notre Dame campus.

sreepointer
09-12-2010, 08:24 PM
What great news. This weekend wasn't a total loss. Welcome aboard.

SpanishElite
09-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Huge news! Congrats!

ALLND62
09-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Numa Numa is old. Leave that played out joke in the Weis era.

Happy these two kids committed. George could be a lethal slot man.

It never gets old to me...........it fires me up!

irishunclebill
09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/coach-ds-blog

Coach D's Blog
Atkinsons On Board
Written by Bryan Driskell Monday, 13 September 2010 10:16

This weekend the Fighting Irish picked up two huge commitments when they received the verbal commitment of twins Josh and George Atkinson.

“Yeah, I committed,” said Josh Atkinson. “Notre Dame is the place to be. I loved the campus and the coaching staff was great. I just fell in love with it right away.”

Josh was the first of the two to commit to Notre Dame. “Yeah, he committed first,” said George Atkinson. “He committed first and I just jumped in there with him. I just couldn’t find a reason not to.”

“Yeah, he was just trying to be like me and follow in my footsteps,” joked Josh. “Seriously though, they put us in a room together and we talked about it together. I called my dad and he was happy about everything.”

“I am happy that it’s finally over,” said the Granada cornerback.

“The campus was different from every other school I’ve been too,” said Josh Atkinson.

Atkinson also was impressed with the Irish fans. “The fans were the best fans I’ve seen, they were ridiculous,” said the 6-foot-0 cornerback. “They knew who I was as soon as I walked through the stadium. They were real supportive.”

Josh informed Irish Sports Daily earlier in the week that he planned on committed to Notre Dame, but wanted to be sure about it from his visit. Josh asked us to keep it quiet, so we did. But I asked Josh if there was a moment where he just knew it was time or if there was a build up during the week and throughout the visit.

“The whole week it just built up,” said Josh Atkinson. “Then on Sunday morning I was like you know what, this is the right place for me.”

Notre Dame’s staff was happy to receive the news. “I got to talk to Coach Kelly and told him I’m going to shut it down and come to Notre Dame. Right away he smiled and gave me a hug and said congratulations.

“Coach Martin was real excited, he was juiced,” Josh said. “The whole coaching staff was excited for us.”

George Atkinson was also blown away by the people he encountered at Notre Dame. “Just the type of people there, everybody was great,” said the 6-foot-2 athlete. “The coaching staff was a big reason too, and how they plan on using me and where they see me at.

“Brian Kelly, he’s a great guy and he knows how to turn a program around. It’s exciting to be a part of that.”

Like his brother, George Atkinson also loved the experience of being around Notre Dame fans. His favorite part of the weekend was being picked up with his brother by the crowd and doing pushups on the crowd. “When they got the lead late they picked us up to do pushups,” said Atkinson. “It was crazy.”

Notre Dame’s academics also separated them from the rest of their competitors. “Just to be able to get a degree from here means a lot,” said George.

George was also excited to hear how the Irish staff plans to use him when he finally gets on campus. “They plan on putting me at the W spot where Michael Floyd is at,” said Atkinson. “They said they plan to use me in other ways too, they want to get me the football.”

Atkinson enjoyed watching Notre Dame roll up 535 yards of offense on Saturday. “When they had the QB I liked how explosive they were and how they moved the ball so efficiently,” said Atkinson.

The entire family is on board. Prior to their visit both Josh and George talked about how excited their dad was for the trip. That has not changed now that his sons are on board with the Irish. “Yeah, he’s really excited, he knew it was coming but I just had to get down there and check it out.”

The Atkinson brothers liked what they saw, and moving forward Notre Dame fans will be able to replicate that admiration. These two young men are talented football players and are huge additions to what is becoming an outstanding recruiting class.

COMMENTS: As I have been saying for months, George Atkinson is one of the most exciting and talented players in the country. He is an explosive playmaker on offense who gives the Irish staff a tall, speedy, and versatile weapon. In my view he is a clear 5 star prospect and is the best offensive skill player landed by Brian Kelly up to this point in his tenure. Josh Atkinson is a bit more raw, but is really coming into his own. Josh has excellent speed and is every bit as explosive as his brother. In his first game action on offense, the 6-foot-0 cornerback ripped off a 73 yard touchdown run. He is also a physical football player, which should not be surprising to anyone who knows who his father is. Cornerback is a huge position of need in this class, and Atkinson is a big addition. With him on board it now gives Notre Dame two “pure” cornerbacks, along with Jalen Brown. It gives the staff some flexibility with Eilar Hardy and Matthias Farley if the Irish are unable to land either Wayne Lyons or Quincy Aldridge. This was a huge weekend for the Irish on the recruiting trail.

lowayne
12-22-2010, 11:45 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/3839-in-the-film-room-josh-atkinson

Full review at link. ISD likes the Atkinsons.

GRADES

Size: 87 (Good height and length, also has the frame to add significant weight and strength)
Strength: 82 (Good natural strength, needs to increase his overall strength, especially lower body)
Speed: 92 (Very good speed, track star, translates well to the gridiron)
Athletic Skills/Pedal: 88 (Agile player, quick feet, fluid hips, and plays smooth)
Technique: 80 (Improved quite a bit, but still needs work with his footwork and hand play)
Coverage: 81 (Uses speed and toughness well, potential is very high, but needs technique work)
Tackling: 82 (Great effort, good edge defender, needs to work on technique)
Intangibles: 90 (Love his toughness, works hard, he’s a winner, willing to work on his game)
Upside: 4
Overall Grade: 4

FWIW I really think we have 4 high potential DB's that are under the radar (5 if you think Hardy is being underrated also, although he has his 4th *). As long as a couple of these guys are ready for starting minutes in 2012 we should be good, and there is a good chance that will happen with these young student athletes.

wicket
12-22-2010, 11:56 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/3839-in-the-film-room-josh-atkinson

Full review at link. ISD likes the Atkinsons.

FWIW I really think we have 4 high potential DB's that are under the radar (5 if you think Hardy is being underrated also, although he has his 4th *). As long as a couple of these guys are ready for starting minutes in 2012 we should be good, and there is a good chance that will happen with these young student athletes.

I dont think Farley is underrated, he is a project iyam, a good project but a project.

Josh, Jalen and OK-Gotcha possibly/probably are though

lowayne
12-22-2010, 12:16 PM
I dont think Farley is underrated, he is a project iyam, a good project but a project.

Josh, Jalen and OK-Gotcha possibly/probably are though

Last I checked, a while ago, Farley was a 2*and a bottom of the barrel 3*. His offer list is too good for that. Yes, he is a project but with legitimate potential. It will be a year or two before he is ready but I think he'll be a very good player.

wicket
12-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Last I checked, a while ago, Farley was a 2*and a bottom of the barrel 3*. His offer list is too good for that. Yes, he is a project but with legitimate potential. It will be a year or two before he is ready but I think he'll be a very good player.

well he is a 3* on both rivals and scout, which means the most to me, also a 3* on espn and not ranked on 247. Personally id say he is a mid level 3* (5.6 on rivals, 77 on espn, 84 on 247 if I had to do the ranking)

The only guys who are really underrated in this class if you look at the combined rankings are imho:
Councell (who will prolly be bumped up a bit on the back of him shrine bowl performance)
Grace (who should be a 4* across the board imho)
Hanratty (just check his offer list, but a ND lock and legacy wont be ranked high unless he plays in the south)

ChicagoIrish
12-22-2010, 01:08 PM
The fact that Farley has only been playing football for 2 years gives me a ton of hope w/r/t his upside. Because this is J. Atkinson's thread, I'll add that I think he and Hardy may be most ready to contribute immediately.

morrdave9
12-22-2010, 01:21 PM
This is the thing with these rankings. Most people seem to view the stars/numbers as a recruits potential. That is not the case. It's actually just each services opinion on what sort of immediate impact a player will make, with a little note of what potential they may have if developed/coached properly.

Here's is ESPN's description of a 5*

Five-star: 85 to 100

A potential immediate game-changer at the major college level who could push for all-conference recognition as a true freshman. Will enter college with elite skills needed to create mismatches against top-level competition. A future All-American candidate.
And their 3* (Farley/Atkinson)

Three-star: 75.0 to 79.49

A player with the skills to develop into a solid starter at the major college level. Potential high-ceiling prospect with the ability to make an impact during his career.
Even with a 2* they say they flash developable skills and could be a late bloomer.

I'm with wicket. Farley isn't underrated. He is a project who could develop into a special player, which is pretty much exactly what they define as a 3*.

NDgrandson
01-17-2011, 04:05 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/3986-atkinsons-host-kelly

Atkinsons Host Kelly

Monday, 17 January 2011 02:46 Bryan Driskell
. .On Sunday afternoon, Notre Dame Head Coach Brian Kelly stopped by the home of Josh and George Atkinson (Livermore, Calif./Granada) to pay a visit to the Notre Dame commits. Tonight, I had the opportunity to speak with Josh Atkinson about the visit.

“It went real good,” Atkinson said of his sit down with Kelly and Mike Denbrock. “They rolled up fancy in a Mercedes Benz. We got to go over a lot of things recruiting wise, and what to expect when we get up there.”

Atkinson will have to begin preparing for his departure in the near future. “I just found out tonight that we actually fly out like two days after we graduate, so I gotta start saying my goodbyes now,” joked the 6-foot-0 cornerback.

One of the biggest factors working in Notre Dame’s favor in Josh Atkinson’s recruitment was the depth chart situation at cornerback. Kelly and Atkinson talked about the opportunities that await the Granada standout. “He told me to be ready to play as a freshman,” Atkinson explained. “That’s one of the things that I really liked about Notre Dame and why I chose Notre Dame. I’m ready to get on the field and I am going to work hard to get there.”

The twins will be able to continue their close bond next fall, although there will undoubtedly be some stepped up competition between the two. “George and I are going to room together,” said the Granada cornerback. “That will be nice. But Coach Kelly talked about how fun it was going to be practicing one-on-one with my brother. That will be exciting, I can’t wait for that.”

Kelly and his hosts also spent some time relaxing and watching football. “We sat for a little bit and watched the Patriots game,” noted Atkinson. “We talked about what they were trying to do on defense, stuff like that. We were just having fun conversations about football. My dad really likes him.”

With Signing Day fast approaching, Atkinson’s excitement about his future only grows. “It’s almost here,” Atkinson exclaimed. “Coach Denbrock is going to come by in a couple of weeks and explain how that is going to go (Signing Day events). We are going to be down in Texas for the all-star game, so we will have to figure out how that is going to work. But it is coming up real quick.

“I won’t have to worry about any more rumors,” he continued. “I’m realizing my dreams are coming true and I am closer to being a part of a big time program. I can’t wait!”

The Granada standout also realizes this weekend’s recruiting news is going to have a big impact on his future as well. He spoke briefly about the commitment of Aaron Lynch and Ishaq Williams to the Notre Dame program.

“It’s going to be a tremendous help for our defense,” Atkinson said of the front four talent that also includes Stephon Tuitt, Ben Councell, Anthony Rabasa, Brad Carrico, and Tony Springmann. “Our defensive line is going to be getting after the quarterback. That means more bad throws for us to make a play on and get turnovers. It helps us make plays in the secondary. It’s a big step to being an overall great defense that has speed and can get after it and make plays.”

In the meantime, Atkinson is preparing to play in the Team USA vs. The World all-star game down in Austin, Texas. That game will be played on National Signing Day (February 2, 2011), but before the game the players will have a big event where everyone in the game will be able to fax off their letters of intent to the schools of their choice. Also joining Atkinson in Austin will be his brother George, DE Stephon Tuitt, OL Matt Hegarty, and current Irish running back recruit Savon Huggins.

Just something I thought of (optimist). I checked fb a few times tonight and either Amir Carlisle left his computer on with his fb account open, or he has been on fb all night and probably chatting. Maybe BK left the Atkinsons some homework... Amir Carlisle? Each time I have seen Amir on, one the Atkinson twins have been on as well. I know they are friends and the USC situation is not quite settled yet. Since I like Amir, I have not unfriended him... YET. I will if he is not Irish February 2nd. But I choose to hang on to a thread of hope.

irishunclebill
01-17-2011, 11:10 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/3986-atkinsons-host-kelly

Just something I thought of (optimist). I checked fb a few times tonight and either Amir Carlisle left his computer on with his fb account open, or he has been on fb all night and probably chatting. Maybe BK left the Atkinsons some homework... Amir Carlisle? Each time I have seen Amir on, one the Atkinson twins have been on as well. I know they are friends and the USC situation is not quite settled yet. Since I like Amir, I have not unfriended him... YET. I will if he is not Irish February 2nd. But I choose to hang on to a thread of hope.

Carlisle flipping again would not surprise me in the least, and if USC does not get some kind of relief when they have their NCAA hearing later this week, he may have no choice anyway.

adamsfamily03
01-17-2011, 11:27 AM
I thought Carlisle would see that coming to ND would mean quality exposure, good playing time, a team on the rise, and an AWESOME degree for life. Maybe he will pull a "Lynch" and re-consider. There is always hope in ND NATION. GO IRISH!!!!!

DirtySecret
01-17-2011, 11:40 AM
I thought Carlisle would see that coming to ND would mean quality exposure, good playing time, a team on the rise, and an AWESOME degree for life. Maybe he will pull a "Lynch" and re-consider. There is always hope in ND NATION. GO IRISH!!!!!

I think he likes the USC flim room. I guess he wants to be an actor.

IrishCrasher
02-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Congrats Josh welcome to the ND Family!

Purebred Irishman
05-17-2011, 06:02 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/4773-signed-sealed-and-ready-to-deliver

It was a long process, but in February Josh Atkinson was finally able to end his recruitment when he officially signed with Notre Dame. Now he is merely three and a half weeks away from reporting to school in South Bend. With the recruiting process in the rear view mirror, Atkinson reflects back and comes to the same conclusion he did before: Notre Dame was the right choice.

“I’m definitely confident that I made the right decision,” Atkinson said of his choice to attend Notre Dame. “When I talk to people about where I’m going to college and I mention Notre Dame it’s like an eye opener. They give you that look like, ‘Whoa, Notre Dame.’”

He has had plenty of time to reflect on the process and the decision. It was a fun period of time for Atkinson. His decision to attend Notre Dame was a personal one, but he had a strong foundation to lean upon as he decided between Notre Dame, Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, Oregon State, Syracuse, Utah, Washington, and Washington State.

“I feel like it was the best decision for me,” said the 6-foot-0 cornerback. “I leaned on my family and God to make the best decision and I definitely feel like I made the best decision.”

During the process Atkinson was given consistent and constant advice from his father, former Oakland Raider great George Atkinson. The message was clear, football was important, but it was not the most important factor. The advice Atkinson received from his father had to do with becoming a man and understanding the importance of the degree he was going to receive.

“When it comes right down to it football isn’t going to last forever,” Atkinson said matter-of-factly. “The average career span in the NFL is what, three years? What is in store after football? A Notre Dame degree is definitely a good thing to fall back on, especially a business degree from there. I had to take all that into consideration.”

With the decision now made and his move to Indiana fast approaching, Atkinson said his father continues to prepare him for what is next.

“Now he is just teaching me about being more responsible when it comes to time management,” Atkinson said of the advice his father continues to give. “He talks to me about being an adult. He is giving us a lot of advice on what to do and not to do. About working in school and taking care of business. I am definitely taking in everything that my dad is telling me.”

With his twin sons almost gone, the elder Atkinson is telling his sons he is looking forward to the free time and the quiet he is going to have at home; but his son Josh knows better.

“He’s been joking around about having a lot of free time on his hands,” Atkinson said with a laugh. “He’s going to miss us though, just like we are going to miss him. I feel blessed to be able to have a father like that who has been where I want to go and knows what it takes. I’m going to soak in as much as I can before I leave.”

His father’s advice off the field is going to be invaluable for the talented cornerback. But having a former NFL All-Pro as a father also benefits the younger Atkinson on the field. After quitting track early in the season due to the firing of his sprint coaches at Granada High School, Atkinson has been focusing on improving his craft on the football field.

“I’m getting with my dad all the time and working on my technique,” Atkinson said of his daily workout routine. “He’s been working with me on my press coverage, my off coverage, and just staying in shape. Just a lot of man-to-man stuff, technique on what to do in press coverage. We are working on the little things, taking cross steps on certain routes and making adjustments when a receiver tries to put me where he wants me.”

Atkinson has already noticed the difference in his game. His off-season workout partner is his twin-brother George, who was one of the nation’s top wide receiver prospects. Their individual battles, and his father’s coaching, has brought about significant improvements in his game.

“I definitely feel like I’m improving, definitely,” Atkinson said of his improved play. “I’m just trying to master every aspect of the game. How I’m reading routes and right now I’m trying to react to double moves. I’ve got the single routes covered pretty well. When it’s just like one step like ins, curls, and gos, I got those. Now I’m just making the right steps and right moves to the receiver on the double moves.”

The former Granada star cannot wait to get to South Bend to start his new life and show off his new skills.

“Oh yeah man, I’m counting the days,” said an excited Atkinson. “We start summer school I think the 19th (of June). We’ll also have some freshmen orientation type stuff. Then we start working out and training with the strength and conditioning coach. After that it’s fall camp.”

It is the fall that Atkinson is most looking forward to.

“I’m coming in there and making sure I play to the best of my abilities to make the team better any way I can,” Atkinson said of the goals he has for himself during his freshman season. “Whether it is special teams or nickel package or whatever. I want to come in there and compete.”

The decision he made and the advice he has received from his father has prepared Atkinson for much more than on-field success. He is not only prepared to compete on the field at the highest level, he is ready to put in the work to become the best student and man that he can be off the field.

Purebred Irishman
10-10-2011, 05:28 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=teamreports-2011-ncaaf-nnx

CB Josh Atkinson also lost his redshirt season by making his college debut Saturday

Purebred Irishman
04-06-2012, 07:47 AM
IrishIllustrated.com - Can Atkinson make the grade? (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1351768)

Each week Josh Atkinson phones home with his spring practice grade.

Sometimes the sophomore cornerback has progress to share with his father, former Oakland Raiders all-pro defensive back George Atkinson Jr. Other calls he doesn’t, like the one last week when cornerbacks coach Kerry Cooks graded Atkinson out at a 67.

“That’s failing for us,” said Cooks, who gave Atkinson an 81 a week earlier. “That’s (giving up a) touchdown. That’s exactly what happened. That’s why he dropped.”

Notre Dame sees potential in Atkinson, whose twin brother George Atkinson III broke into the lineup at kickoff return and running back last season. For now that potential seems at least a season away from showing on Saturdays, with Atkinson behind Bennett Jackson at the boundary cornerback position.

Still, it appears Atkinson is well on his way to being more than an accompaniment to his more highly recruited twin brother. With just five scholarship cornerbacks, Atkinson has been getting chances to show why he could help the Irish now and expose where he needs to improve to do it.

“I want to get on the field as fast as I can,” he said. “I’m just taking that challenge and making sure I get better and making sure I thrive off of that. I’m one spot away from starting.”

Atkinson worked his way into the special teams unit at mid-season last fall and finished with two tackles. The playing time wasn’t extensive and didn’t include defensive work above the scout team. Atkinson believes the playing time was worth the eligibility cost.

“Just knowing what college football is all about,” Atkinson said. “Just playing at the next level, trying to understand the speed of the game and all the little things that go into game preparation.”

Cooks said Atkinson and sophomore cornerback Jalen Brown are both “level one” players in the defense, meaning they’re still learning where to be, never mind what to do after they get there. Atkinson was a press cover cornerback at Granada High School in northern California and played just one coverage his whole career.

Turns out Atkinson is still playing that one coverage even when he’s not supposed to be.

“Sometimes I’m still trying to get him out of his stance when he’s a deep third corner working at it,” Cooks said. “You can definitely tell that he’s been coached hard. His dad has instilled hard work, effort, 100 percent, ‘yes sir, no sir’ type of kid. You can see some of those characteristics of having an NFL dad and how that’s translating to his play on the field.”

That play figures to focus on special teams on Saturday and backing up Jackson during the week, but it’s clear Atkinson gives the Irish a long-term piece of the puzzle in their rebuilding secondary.

“Josh is to the boundary because Josh is a really aggressive player,” Cooks said. “He’s physical on the run. He has good use of his hands, getting in and disrupting wide receivers and taking speed off of them.”

Confidence doesn’t appear to be an issue either. For a young cornerback looking to make a mark, that’s a solid starting point.

“The faster you get on the field, the faster you get to be a better player,” Atkinson said. “I definitely love that challenge and looking forward to hopefully getting on the field starting week one.”

mlcspinner
05-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Josh Atkinson ran 10.51 in the 100m dash today at NCAA East prelims. Finished 22nd. He was 1 of only 2 frosh in field.

IrishCrasher
05-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Josh Atkinson ran 10.51 in the 100m dash today at NCAA East prelims. Finished 22nd. He was 1 of only 2 frosh in field.

That is speed!

HoffVir
08-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Brian Hamilton ‏@ChiTribHamilton
Minor #NotreDame football note: Josh Atkinson swings over to receiver now, with Brian Kelly saying the reps just weren't there at corner.
7:05 PM - 22 Aug 13

LOVEMYIRISH
08-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Brian Hamilton ‏@ChiTribHamilton
Minor #NotreDame football note: Josh Atkinson swings over to receiver now, with Brian Kelly saying the reps just weren't there at corner.
7:05 PM - 22 Aug 13

Good sign for CB!!!