PDA

View Full Version : '11 NC LB Ben Councell (06/27/2010 Notre Dame LOI)

irishunclebill
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Outside Linebacker
A.C. Reynolds High School (Asheville, NC)

Links of Interest:
Rivals Profile (http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Ben-Councell-110557)

Height: 6 foot-5
Weight: 220 lbs.
Forty:
Bench Max: 285 lbs.
Squat Max: 450 lbs.
Shuttle:
Vertical:
GPA: 3.5

Multimedia

irishunclebill
Ben Councell
http://i44.tinypic.com/wcckrm.jpg

irishunclebill
Ben Councell has offers from Auburn, North Carolina State, Duke, East Carolina and Maryland. Clemson, South Carolina, Virginia, and North Carolina are also showing interest.

According to Ben and on the Scout recruiting site he now also has an Irish offer.

Two weeks ago he listed NC State, South Carolina, Clemson and Auburn as his favorites. At that point in time though only NC State of those 4 schools had offered. Also Councell's offer list has all been accumulated in the last month and looks like it will continue to grow so that favorites list is likely to change. Ben is also saying that right now he plans on taking an OV to Notre Dame.

Synoptico
04-27-2010, 03:15 PM
I find this whole DE situation weird. Who knows what the staff really told Rock. Oh well. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Maybe they just feel they are in better possition with guys ranked higher on their board. (ir Vannett's situation)

zimmsbg78
05-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Ben is reporting that ND has offered him in the last couple of weeks. He said he thinks he will unofficially visit within the next couple of weekends. He said ND has a great football program, the new coaching staff is exciting and a ND degree is great to have.

His father is a N.C State alum and he has already unofficially visited them twice. He has also unofficially visited Auburn and had a great visit. He's also interested in South Carolina and Clemson. Ben said his parent would like to keep him within a reasonable driving distance but he said the choice is his to make.

Playing time, good academics (meaningful degree) and a place that feels like home are his main factors in deciding on a school.

brownkj002
05-10-2010, 07:54 PM
rivals reporting an offer for Ben

Katzenboyer
05-11-2010, 08:41 AM
rivals reporting an offer for Ben

Also saying he was offered as an OLB.

grokster
05-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Given his Dad is an NCST alum and wants his son within reasonable driving distance, we would need Ben to visit ND and have his socks blown off to give us a realistic chance.

zimmsbg78
05-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Given his Dad is an NCST alum and wants his son within reasonable driving distance, we would need Ben to visit ND and have his socks blown off to give us a realistic chance.

I'd say we have a decent chance of landing Ben (not saying we will). His quotes concerning ND and what the offer means to him, I'd say we have a chance. He will unofficially visit ND with his parents near the end of June.

FootballFlash
05-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Offered per BGI

zimmsbg78
05-19-2010, 09:08 AM
South Carolina has now offered.

Ben will unofficially visit South Carolina on Friday. Ben had a Q & A with a South Carolina recruiting writer. The guy asked Ben what schools are currently sticking out, and Ben replied "Definitely Notre Dame," "I'm really interested in going too see them this summer." Ben also listed N.C. State, South Carolina and Georgia Tech of schools, after his comments on ND.

Ban hopes to have his decision made early, before the start of his senior season.

zimmsbg78
05-19-2010, 11:12 AM
More good news on Ben?...................

At the bottom of page listed under Good Vibe................

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/smittys-blog/2554-possible-offers-and-best-bets-to-commit

robdog_5
05-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Mike Farrell in his weekly whispers mentioned Councell and ND in a positive tune, saying ND is in lead here

wicket
05-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Mike Farrell in his weekly whispers mentioned Councell and ND in a positive tune, saying ND is in lead here

crap that is terrible news

morrdave9
05-21-2010, 11:02 AM
meh, he is just repeating what was already reported

irishunclebill
05-21-2010, 11:04 AM
meh, he is just repeating what was already reported

Which is 95% of what he reports, 4% is just bogus shit that he makes up, which leaves 1% of what he reports to be actual inside info from the one or two recruits a year who are foolish enough to actually confide in this tool.

NDisNCin2010
05-21-2010, 11:32 AM
crap that is terrible news

uh oh...the farrell jinx.

irishunclebill
06-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Councell has set his visit for ND for the weekend of 6/12.

Revolver
06-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Councell has set his visit for ND for the weekend of 6/12.

tick.....tock....tick....tock....

a1ND
06-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Here is a link to some video of Ben that was provided to me by the Athlete Vault

http://athletevault.com/index.php?id=2138

and here are some comments about him by AV:
I like him a lot. Quick enough to be a LB, big enough to be a DE. Nice frame, has a lot of upside.
Councell is a legit 6-5 and with his frame depending on where he goes, I think he could pack on enough weight to even be a DE. However, like I said it depends on where he goes and what scheme he's in.

My personal comments on him as this is the first time I've seen film of him:
Councell looks like he really needs to bulk up - I could see him playing OLB at 245 easy on his frame which I guess is why ND likes him so much. He plays tough though and he seems to have very good recognition skills and can play the perimeter.

SpanishElite
06-11-2010, 02:23 PM
The Rivals guys in a Weekly Whisper seem very positive that Councell could be the next commitment for ND, sooner rather than later.

grokster
06-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Went to North Carolina this weekend rather than ND. No specific reason has surfaced but he will supposedly schedule a visit later on.

Have no idea if this is a warning flag but it would have been great if he had made the ND visit.

NDisNCin2010
06-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Went to North Carolina this weekend rather than ND. No specific reason has surfaced but he will supposedly schedule a visit later on.

Have no idea if this is a warning flag but it would have been great if he had made the ND visit.

looks like that rivals whisper (fatty farrell??) jinxed us again

morrdave9
06-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Actually, I saw something on this on Wednesday but didn't post anything. He had a conflict with taking the ACT this weekend so he wasn't going to come to ND until a later date (I think sometme next week). I guess he still wanted to take a trip this weekend and NC wouldn't interfere with the ACT since it's close.

So don't read too much into it, still have a good shot at him.

irishunclebill
06-11-2010, 03:27 PM

The reason is an ACT conflict which did not allow him time to make the trip to South Bend. He is supposedly at UNC today only. Also my understanding is that he is still visiting ND soon, either mid-week next week or next weekend.

Synoptico
06-11-2010, 05:32 PM
JC Shurburtt jcshurburtt

RT @JoshLow_TBS NC LB/DE Ben Councell (A.C. Reynolds) pick up an offer from #UNC today.

Twitter

irishunclebill
06-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Trip to ND has been rescheduled for Thursday-Saturday of this week.

Griff Cannon
06-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Trip to ND has been rescheduled for Thursday-Saturday of this week.

quite a weekend

theman
06-19-2010, 04:15 PM
He named us as his leader.

SpanishElite
06-19-2010, 06:06 PM
He named us as his leader.

Takes a bit of sting off the B. Starling news. Him and Burton with possibly French wouldnt be a bad bunch of young OLB/DE prospect for ND's new 3-4.

therizz
06-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Would we really take Councell, French, Burton, and Grace as lb's in this cycle?

HoffVir
06-19-2010, 09:40 PM
I would think so.

Shamrock1221
06-19-2010, 09:51 PM
For what its worth I beleive Grace was recruited as an ILB. So French, Burton, and Councell isnt that big of a reach, considering BK said this cycle we were really going after DE's and OLB's.

SpanishElite
06-19-2010, 10:04 PM
For what its worth I beleive Grace was recruited as an ILB. So French, Burton, and Councell isnt that big of a reach, considering BK said this cycle we were really going after DE's and OLB's.

That is it right ther Shamrock. Grace (IMO) is no doubt an ILB. While Burton, French and Councell are more OLB/DE prospects. French is listed at 6'6 218, Burton 6'3 230 and Councell at 6'5 200. All of these guys seem to be OLB prospects than have the ability to put there hands on the ground if you want to move to an even front (4 down DL) or they can also play up as a LB but cover up a TE and play him tough at the line, or also cover a OT up.

Shamrock1221
06-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Yeah I think French has the speed to cover even the quickest tight ends, which will be great when we play those USC's, Pittsburgh's, etc. I hope we land him.

SpanishElite
06-19-2010, 10:13 PM
(Not to hijack the thread, but) I think French's potential is off the charts. At 6'6 he is wicked long and has so much room to really fill out. I think this could be a very fun recruiting class for ND in the defensive front 7. I think this scheme is really going to put these kids in a great position to be really be playmakers. Something ND's defense has lacked since Trevor Laws.

It looks like Councell is taking a visit to South Carolina this weekend. (6/18-6/20)
And looks to go to ND at the end of June.

step30044
06-19-2010, 10:22 PM
any updates on French?

daytonirish
06-20-2010, 09:34 AM
It looks like Councell is taking a visit to South Carolina this weekend. (6/18-6/20)
And looks to go to ND at the end of June.

He arrived at Notre Dame on Thursday with his dad and they left Saturday morning.

SpanishElite
06-20-2010, 10:15 AM
He arrived at Notre Dame on Thursday with his dad and they left Saturday morning.

Shows how much I know! :bigsmile:

JMR8
06-21-2010, 11:25 AM
I would think Ben would grow into a DE. He certainly has the frame to...and im sure he has or is gaining weight right now. JMO. But yeah id take 'em all...

Revolver
06-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I would think Ben would grow into a DE. He certainly has the frame to...and im sure he has or is gaianing weight right now. JMO. But yeah id take 'em all...

You may get your wish in a couple of weeks.

BearGB
06-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Maybe this has been mentioned already, but the coaches have told Councell that he will play the position they refer to as DOG LB. This is the same position that Brian Smith currently plays. They have told him if he works hard, he could get some early PT. I don't know if this last part is just recruitspeak or not...

Red45
06-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Looks Like Georgia Tech is the new leader! according to scout.com

zimmsbg78
06-24-2010, 09:55 AM
He was actually quoted saying ND and Georgia Tech are his leaders followed by UNC and South Carolina. He plans to make his decision in the next few weeks.

SpanishElite
06-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Dang new leader every day it seems.

Svoboda
06-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Has committed to the Irish per IrishSportsDaily.

Dayton_Domer
06-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Woohoo!!!

Good job Ben!!!

HoffVir
06-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Very nice! Numa numa-it, people!

SouthernIrish
06-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Good deal.

SpanishElite
06-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Dang new leader every day it seems.

ha. Spanish your an idiot.. new leader! He was all Irish!

sreepointer
06-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Nice

domehead1
06-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Hell Yeah!

BDirish4ever
06-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Welcome Aboard Ben!!!!

Synoptico
06-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Well done

daytonirish
06-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Great way to start off the new week.

IrishCrasher
06-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Numa Numa

irishunclebill
06-28-2010, 10:53 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/football/2734-councell-commits-to-notre-dame

Councell Commits To Notre Dame
Written by Steve Wiltfong Monday, 28 June 2010 08:31

On Sunday night, Ben Councell (Asheville, N.C./A.C. Reynolds) pulled the trigger, giving his verbal commitment to Notre Dame.

The 6-foot-5, 225-pound outside linebacker chose the Irish over Georgia Tech, North Carolina and South Carolina.

He did commit yesterday to Notre Dame, A.C. Reynolds head coach Shane Laws wrote to ISD in a text.

Councell becomes the 12th player to verbally commit to Notre Dame in the recruiting class-of-2011, and the third linebacker, joining Clay Burton (Venice, Fla./Venice) and Jarrett Grace (Cincinnati, Ohio/Colerain). As a junior, he helped lead A.C. Reynolds to a state championship, racking up 124 tackles with 13 coming for loss.

I think the biggest thing is hes 6-5, but he runs well," Laws told ISD in the past. Councell will play the DOG backer position in the Irish defense. "Hes a legit 4.4 guy, and at 6-5 he can cover a lot of ground, and when he gets there hes bringing it too. On top of that, hes very intelligent.

He was a big part (of our state championship). Blocked a field goal at the end of the game to pretty much seal the win for us. It was a big deal for us. He made a lot of big plays in the game, and made a lot of big plays all year long. You dont play in state championship game without players like Ben Councell.

Councell also held scholarship offers from the likes of Auburn, Maryland, North Carolina State, Wake Forest, East Carolina and Duke. He is currently working out, and Irish Sports Daily looks forward to catching up with him for more on his commitment in the near future.

piyachi
06-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Welcome!

Haha he is a legit 4.4 guy... I will believe that he is as fast as Golden Tate when I see it.

JMR8
06-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Nice! Welcome man!

irishunclebill
Now that Ben is an ND commit we can change his position to what he is being recruited to play at ND.

SpanishElite
Welcome!

Haha he is a legit 4.4 guy... I will believe that he is as fast as Golden Tate when I see it.

haha. I agree with you Piyachi.. he wont be GT fast.. but non the less you have to be excited about getting another Front 7 defender in the class of 2011.

irishunclebill
06-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Rivals has finally confirmed the commit.

Bobby67
06-28-2010, 12:15 PM
If his 4.4 time is legit according to Irish Eyes it would likely make him one of the fastest LB recruits ever. One with that type of speed and size would be a monster safety. Hope his time holds up. Go Irish!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HoffVir
06-28-2010, 12:16 PM
You could put this in Ben's thread (http://www.goldhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=20646)

Edit: There we go. :bigsmile:

NDGirlzRock
06-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Saweet get here boys!!! Is it just me or does it seem like Kelly and the boys are having no trouble recruiting all over the country?

wernd50
06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Saweet get here boys!!! Is it just me or does it seem like Kelly and the boys are having no trouble recruiting all over the country?

Your right, but I would like to see more 4 and 5 stars.

irishunclebill
06-28-2010, 01:21 PM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1098310

Councell finds "fit" with Irish

June 28, 2010

Pete Sampson
IrishIllustrated.com Editor

The way Ben Councell sees it, there's positive attached to the only negative surrounding his commitment to Notre Dame. The 6-foot-5, 225-pound outside linebacker from Asheville, N.C., made his decision Sunday afternoon after conferencing with his parents, then placing a call to Irish defensive line coach Mike Elston to relay the news to South Bend.

After making the trek to the Midwest a week ago, Councell can appreciate the distance his parents John Mark and Victoria will have to travel to see him play live. Then again, the Councell family can strike college tuition from future budgets, possibly freeing up travel funds.

"That was the only down part, the fact that it's so far away," Councell said. "But with the money my parents are saving on college, they can fly up. My dad came up with me on my visit and saw Notre Dame firsthand, so it was fine with him. He loves the school and the academics."

The athletic fit isn't bad either. In fact, Councell said the chance to join Bob Diaco's 3-4 hybrid defense on the ground floor played a major part in Notre Dame beating out Georgia Tech and West Virginia for his commitment. Councell visited the Yellow Jackets the week after seeing the Irish. A trip to see the Mountaineers was up for discussion.

"It was a great visit up at Notre Dame, but I was thinking about how every visit I've taken thus far that coming out of it I'd been thinking, 'Wow, this is the place for me,'" Councell said. "My dad knew that I liked it, but he wanted me to take a visit to Tech just to think about it. So I visited Tech and loved it, but it just wasn't the place. Notre Dame just had a lot more pieces that fit me."

Councell knew he wanted to play in a 3-4 style defense, which eliminated the in-state programs. Notre Dame not only offered the odd front, it had an open depth chart that could mean early playing time.

"That defense just fits me," Councell said. "Basically the coaches told me that if I work hard that I could possibly be starting my freshman or sophomore year. The chance to come up and make a difference, that was a big deal."

Councell said the Irish defense has elements of what he runs at A.C. Reynolds High School, where he led the program to a state championship last season. Head coach Shane Laws agrees, although the linebacker's match with Notre Dame extends off the field too.

"It was just the total package of everything," Laws said. "The things that coaches up there were stressing really stood out, mainly how the coaches were stressing development on the football field, in the classroom and spiritually. That's what he was looking for."

Early enrollment could be an option for Councell, who said he'll look into arriving in South Bend next January. He added that he's unsure about his official visit date, but said the Michigan weekend was a strong possibility.

"Football started today for our high school and I kind of wanted to get this out of the way," Councell said. "Once I made the commitment, it was a big load off my shoulders."

wernd50
06-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Does he have a highlight video?

irishunclebill
06-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Does he have a highlight video?

The only one I have seen requires a Rivals subscription to view.

Purebred Irishman
06-28-2010, 01:32 PM
The staff must be delighted to have gotten Ben to commit. It would be great for him if he could enrol early. This is a really good addition to the class of 2011

CincyDamer
06-28-2010, 01:33 PM
While I also fall into the star trap sometimes... I think it's important to remember how early it is in the ranking game. Many recruits might end up being 4*. I.E. Prestwood, Councell, Farley. Also, we are still in the hunt for some of the current 4* recruits. When BK throws together a good season with 8 or 9 wins, it'll make it even more tempting for the uncommitted.

Go IRISH!

NDGirlzRock
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM
While I also fall into the star trap sometimes... I think it's important to remember how early it is in the ranking game. Many recruits might end up being 4*. I.E. Prestwood, Councell, Farley. Also, we are still in the hunt for some of the current 4* recruits. When BK throws together a good season with 8 or 9 wins, it'll make it even more tempting for the uncommitted.

Go IRISH!

Reps dude!!! Thanks for having my back on the star ranking comment!!!

Irishlaw
06-28-2010, 05:04 PM
i try to ignore star rankings as much as possible and today i found another reason why. personally, i think an offer list is much more telling than the rivals rankings. compare councell's offer sheet according to rivals (Notre Dame, Auburn, Duke, East Carolina, Georgia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, West Virginia) to tre madden's (USC, Arizona State, Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Washington). i would say that councell has the better sheet or, at worst, theyre a wash. yet tre madden has a 5.9 rr, is ranked #5 at his position and #69 nationally while councell has a 5.6 rr, is ranked #23 at his position and unranked nationally...

SpanishElite
06-28-2010, 05:27 PM
I agree Law... but you do have to be careful while comparing offer lists from Scout, ESPN or Rivals because they are often times not all listed, or not accurate offers (or non offers)

Irishlaw
06-28-2010, 05:40 PM
I agree Law... but you do have to be careful while comparing offer lists from Scout, ESPN or Rivals because they are often times not all listed, or not accurate offers (or non offers)

true. guess im more annoyed with the absurdity of tre madden's ranking in comparison to some of our players (prestwood stands out)

SpanishElite
06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
true. guess im more annoyed with the absurdity of tre madden's ranking in comparison to some of our players (prestwood stands out)

Agree 100%. Its USC they cant possibly have a 3* recruit. Who cares, not that Madden is a good player, but I'm happy that B. Councell committed and now I hope he will sign.

Irishlaw
06-28-2010, 05:49 PM
councell will be a good one, looking forward to seeing him on the field

brownkj002
06-28-2010, 06:25 PM
some video:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/highschool-football/Ben-Councell-attacks-the-football-512390;_ylt=AoT514gDdOmQZKVecjoIalI8s5B4

he reminds me of lueders but maybe even a step or two faster

a1ND
06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Here is a link to some video of Ben that was provided to me by the Athlete Vault

http://athletevault.com/index.php?id=2138

and here are some comments about him by AV:
I like him a lot. Quick enough to be a LB, big enough to be a DE. Nice frame, has a lot of upside.
Councell is a legit 6-5 and with his frame depending on where he goes, I think he could pack on enough weight to even be a DE. However, like I said it depends on where he goes and what scheme he's in.

My personal comments on him as this is the first time I've seen film of him:
Councell looks like he really needs to bulk up - I could see him playing OLB at 245 easy on his frame which I guess is why ND likes him so much. He plays tough though and he seems to have very good recognition skills and can play the perimeter.

Here is video of Ben that I had posted earlier in the thread.

step30044
06-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Reading an article on Bleacher Report and it states he runs a 4.4 40. Is this time correct?

brownkj002
06-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Reading an article on Bleacher Report and it states he runs a 4.4 40. Is this time correct?

doubtful but he does run pretty well.

step30044
06-30-2010, 07:57 PM
doubtful but he does run pretty well.

Here's and article saying he ran a 4.39 .......:jawdrop::jawdrop:

http://www.wvillustrated.com/wvufootball/recruitdetail/detail/31

Hes getting faster

NDGirlzRock
06-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Damn, if he's that fast, watchout!!! This guy could be crazy good!!!

SpanishElite
06-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Here's and article saying he ran a 4.39 .......:jawdrop::jawdrop:

http://www.wvillustrated.com/wvufootball/recruitdetail/detail/31

Hes getting faster

haha. 4.4 high school time. Heck I ran a "4.8" in highschool and I was a center.

step30044
06-30-2010, 10:06 PM
haha. 4.4 high school time. Heck I ran a "4.8" in highschool and I was a center.

:hahaha::hahaha:

NotreDameNate
07-01-2010, 01:21 AM
From that article it sounded like WVU needed a faster "forty" time in trying to get Ben to their school.

WVU 4.6
ND 4.4 : ) We win!

wicket
08-06-2010, 05:04 PM
28th rated olb in tharingers fall update

http://tharinger.com/site/2011OLBs.htm

Shamrock1221
08-06-2010, 05:10 PM
With that size, and if his speed is really that legit, I dont see how he wont move up a lot of lists his senior year. Thanks for posting wick, much appreciated as always.

zimmsbg78
11-03-2010, 12:04 PM
ISD is now saying Ben did OV South Carolina last weekend for the South Carolina/Tennessee game but is solid with ND

Then you have this...................http://www.goupstate.com/article/20101102/PSPORTS02/101109914/-1/PSPORTS

Notre Dame commit now considering USC
By Phil Kornblut

DE Ben Councell (6-3 230) of Asheville, NC committed to Notre Dame last June but the strength of that pledge is now being tested by USC. Councell made an unofficial visit to USC for the Tennessee game. His coach, Shane Laws, talked with him Tuesday to get a read on his thinking. "He's still committed to Notre Dame but wants to make sure and cover all his bases," Laws said. "South Carolina is the other school he likes a lot. He's trying to make a decision on if he's still committed to Notre Dame. Is South Bend too far away? How much of a change (from the South) would it be going to South Bend? He's just trying to make sure he's signing with the right place. He's trying to decide if he's going to stay committed or has South Carolina become a serious option. He enjoyed his visit (to USC). He saw how easy it was to get home and for his folks to come see him play." USC is the only other school Councell is considering besides Notre Dame. Some of his other offers were Auburn, Georgia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, NC State and West Virginia. Councell has about 100 tackles this season and leads his team in tackles and tackles for loss. He can play outside linebacker in a 3-4 and plays defensive end in a 4-3. "He's an incredible athlete," Laws said. "There's not a whole lot he can't do."

irishunclebill
11-03-2010, 12:28 PM
ISD is now saying Ben did OV South Carolina last weekend for the South Carolina/Tennessee game but is solid with ND

Then you have this...................http://www.goupstate.com/article/20101102/PSPORTS02/101109914/-1/PSPORTS

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/coach-ds-blog

Here is the ISD info from today on Councell, which is in Coach D's blog. Note that Ben's coach's tone is the way it is because just 2 days ago he told ISD that Councell was solid and had not visited anywhere else, which he was obviously wrong about. Note also how completely different the coach describes the USCe visit in the ISD article compared with what Kornblutt says he stated above. Now Kornblutt is a legendary ND hater and I'm sure he spun whatever Coach Laws told him about the visit to USCe's favor, but Coach D also tends to spin stuff toward ND's favor as well.

In both cases Councell himself is not directly quoted, but that is apparently because it is Coach Laws policy to talk to the recruiting sites about his potential scholarship players, which is also why he is so obviously pissed in the ISD article below because Ben failed to even let him know that he visited USCe last weekend.

Bottom line is ISD may say he is solid based on the latest inteview with Coach Laws but what is being said and what happened last weekend tells another story no matter who is spinning it. The ND staff is obviously concerned enough about the situation that Coach Elston is visiting Ben tomorrow.

Coach D's Blog
Councell Just Making Sure
Written by Bryan Driskell Wednesday, 03 November 2010 09:09

I caught up again this morning with A.C. Reynolds Head Coach Shane Laws. When we spoke on Monday he informed Irish Sports Daily that his star linebacker Ben Councell had not made any other visits. That has changed as of now, as Councell did in fact visit South Carolina on Saturday.

“I didn’t know that much about South Carolina, that he’d gone this weekend,” Laws said. “I didn’t have anything to do with setting that trip up.”

Laws was not pleased with how things played out with the visit. “I brought Ben in and we saw down and talked,” he explained. “I told him I’m trying to talk to these folks at Notre Dame and now I look stupid. I got on him and grilled him pretty good.”

Despite the visit, Councell has not and does not intend to decommit from Notre Dame. “I don’t think anything has changed as far as his commitment,” Laws elaborated. “I asked him to be honest with me and he said nothing really changed. He said he went to the game for two reasons. One, he really wanted to go because he loves watching college football and two because they keep asking me to go.”

At this point Councell is just trying to firm up his decision to go to Notre Dame. “I asked him if things changed,” Laws asked of his star linebacker. “He said, ‘No, I feel the same way about Notre Dame as I did when I committed in the spring.’

“I asked him if he were committed to Notre Dame and he said, ‘Yeah, I just want to make sure I have thought about everything before I sign in February.’”

Laws then went on to give his thoughts on the situation. “I think he’s just getting a little nervous about it. But I don’t think it has anything to do with Notre Dame, South Carolina, or anyone else. He’s just a 17-year-old kid who is starting to get nervous about this big decision.”

I wrapped up the conversation by asking Coach Laws if he still felt that Notre Dame would land his standout player in the end. “I think in the end he is going to be at Notre Dame,” Laws said emphatically.

The conversation was not all grilling from Coach Laws. He also informed Councell that he had been chosen to play in the prestigious Shrine Bowl, which pits the best of North Carolina against the best of South Carolina.

Notre Dame defensive line coach Mike Elston will also be visiting Councell on Thursday.

a1ND
11-03-2010, 12:57 PM
In light of all that has happened these last 2 weeks, the bye seriously couldn't have come at a better time for the players (to heal and recover physically and mentally), to prepare (huge game and new QB), and to recruit (personal/game visits to reassure anyone who needs reassuring)

cliff
11-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I hear he is setting up more un offical visits...not good.

marv81s
11-06-2010, 02:22 PM

been the talk for the last 6 weeks. have to see what happens. He has always had thoughts about playing closer to home

cliff
11-06-2010, 02:30 PM
marv...I am new on here...however I have to say the pic you have take my mind OFF of football! :)

NotreDameNate
11-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Welcome aboard, Cliff.

cliff
11-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Thank you Nate. Long time reader....then stopped reading 'cause it required a account. I want to be hear when we turn this thing around...

marv81s
11-06-2010, 05:30 PM
marv...I am new on here...however I have to say the pic you have take my mind OFF of football! :)

anything i can do to help :bigsmile:

NDisNCin2010
11-08-2010, 01:22 PM

where besides south caroo\lina is he going to visit? do we know?

FONZIE993
11-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Is there anymore news on Councell?

NDIRISH44
11-21-2010, 07:38 AM
kiss this kid goodbye. i have a feeling he doesn't want a seat on the train.

IrishFan123
11-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Heard he got an offer from OSU

IrishFan123
11-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Keep an eye on this one as well....

NDIRISH44
11-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Keep an eye on this one as well....

yeah, i have no faith in this kid either. everyone wants the easy way out and he seems to be looking for an excuse.

therizz
11-21-2010, 09:43 PM
kiss this kid goodbye. i have a feeling he doesn't want a seat on the train.

Aren't we a pessimist...

marv81s
11-21-2010, 11:11 PM
you all need to get it together

Irish Joe
11-22-2010, 01:09 AM
If you're on board, you're on board. If you're not, you're not. Meaning, if you want to be here you're welcome, if you're not sure...good luck to you.

Domer Dog
11-22-2010, 08:41 AM
If you're on board, you're on board. If you're not, you're not. Meaning, if you want to be here you're welcome, if you're not sure...good luck to you.

That is a nice philosophy Joe, but it bugs me that these kids have no idea of the meaning of "commitment" and that there word means little. (Mind you, this does not apply to Councell yet). People will say "oh, but they are just 17 and 18 years old". So what, when I was 17, I understood what it meant to give your word and stand by it, and we have 18 year olds dying in foreign wars nearly everyday.

That is why I will not wish good luck to any kid who chooses to break his word. I could say it, but then I'd be just as hypocritical as they are, because I don't mean it. If you don't mean it, then don't give it in the first place. If you do, then stand by it. Any kid that go back on it, I'd simply pull the 'ship. :wave:

NDIRISH44
11-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Aren't we a pessimist...

yes, i've seen this song and dance before. until the trend changes i will remain pessimistic.

daytonirish
11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Heard he got an offer from OSU

Can't seem to find anything about this anywhere. Could you please share where you got the info from. I've checked on rivals, scout, and 3 OSU sites and no one is mentioning this.

ryno24
11-22-2010, 03:13 PM
he didnt get an osu offer and he hasnt shown any waviering

NDGirlzRock
11-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah guys ease up on the guy!!! Not sure where all this waivering business is coming from!!! The guys have been dropping like flies lately so I'd rather we, the FANS, not have any hands in anyones decisions!!!

IrishFan123
11-25-2010, 11:43 AM
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20101123/PSPORTS02/101129875/-1/PSPORTS

November 23, 2010

Notre Dame commit to visit USC
By Eric Guimaraes

DE Ben Councell (6-5 230) of Asheville, NC is committed to Notre Dame but does plan to take an official visit to USC. "I've already been down there a couple of times," he said. "I'm planning on taking an official there in the next couple of weeks." Councell will also take official visits to North Carolina and Notre Dame and is considering taking one to Georgia Tech. "I'm committed to Notre Dame but signing day isn't until February so I'm just making sure," said Councell. He is also considering taking in this weekend's game between USC and Clemson in Death Valley. So far this season, Councell has over 100 tackles with 21 for loss.

wernd50
11-25-2010, 01:05 PM
I think there should be a early signing day for this very reason. However, I know that he should visit other schools AND Notre Dame to m ake sure this is were his heart is.

irishunclebill
11-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Apparently Ben's previous visit to ND for the Pitt game was an Unofficial Visit as he is now planning on taking an Official Visit to South Bend this weekend.

stonebreakerwasgod
11-29-2010, 11:35 PM
That's good news.
A chance to tighten things up a bit. Might want to think plan B with this guy. Hoping he stays the course.

NDisNCin2010
11-30-2010, 12:39 AM
this has to be good news to get an on the fence kid up here with mom....only thing i worry about is the weather...whats forecast this weekend?
i can see the lot fo these guys visiting freezing their arses off for 2 days trekking around campus.
with no banquet i wonder what they have planned now...is their at least a good hoops game on Sat out there?

ChicagoIrish
11-30-2010, 09:18 AM
no. our basketball team plays at home tonight and then not again until next Wed., Dec. 8. Maybe they're taking the recruits to the new Jamba Juice in town. That's a bigtime development for the Bend, imo.

NDgrandson
11-30-2010, 10:10 AM
no. our basketball team plays at home tonight and then not again until next Wed., Dec. 8. Maybe they're taking the recruits to the new Jamba Juice in town. That's a bigtime development for the Bend, imo.

Based on the players tweets, you are right. I am shocked these kids are going bananas over Jamba Juice. It's good, but dang, the training table should be delivering these smoothies to their dorms.

ChicagoIrish
11-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Based on the players tweets, you are right. I am shocked these kids are going bananas over Jamba Juice. It's good, but dang, the training table should be delivering these smoothies to their dorms.

that's where you're wrong. you live in California and take it for granted. I lived in Chicago for 9 years and I'm not a big smoothie eater, but had it from time to time after the gym or to fix a hangover. Cincinnati has nothing approaching this. It's weird the things you miss when you move.

NDisNCin2010
11-30-2010, 08:23 PM
jamba juice?

who knew!

IrishFan123
12-05-2010, 02:38 PM
He told ISD that he is 100% committed after his visit.

Dayton_Domer
12-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Great news!!!

Domer Dog
12-05-2010, 08:14 PM
He told ISD that he is 100% committed after his visit.

Damn, that Jamba Juice is good stuff...:hahaha:

irishunclebill
12-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Looks like "ND is too hard academically" has become the negative recruiting tool du jour against the Irish. That was what was used successfully to sway Lynch and to a lesser degree even impacted Prestwood. Turns out it was the same reason why Councell was having second thoughts. After his visit he was reassured that he would have no problem at ND with academics.

publicola
12-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Looks like "ND is too hard academically" has become the negative recruiting tool du jour against the Irish. That was what was used successfully to sway Lynch and to a lesser degree even impacted Prestwood. Turns out it was the same reason why Councell was having second thoughts. After his visit he was reassured that he would have no problem at ND with academics.

Very bizarre. I never would have been impressed with anyone telling me that I'd fail at something...and, to be clear, I've always been a complete slacker. These kids are supposed to be competitive, so I'm baffled as to why they would find this particular knock on ND even remotely compelling.

cliff
12-05-2010, 09:03 PM
It is amazing how ppl as a whole believe the "its to hard".....if someone (and they have) told me I couldnt do something...I would do it to prove it that I could. F*** the negative recruters down in FL or wherever- if a kid is going to believe that anyway then they are not a RKG...

irishunclebill
12-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Very bizarre. I never would have been impressed with anyone telling me that I'd fail at something...and, to be clear, I've always been a complete slacker. These kids are supposed to be competitive, so I'm baffled as to why they would find this particular knock on ND even remotely compelling.

I agree but I give kudos to Councell for at least coming back to ND for another visit to make sure that it was not really an issue, as opposed to Lynch who just said f' it.

We'll never know for sure of course, but based on ND's track record if Lynch had not flipped he most likely would have graduated from ND, or at the very least be in good academic standing if he skipped to the NFL early, no matter how many times Jimbo and ND grad Greg Hudson told him he was too stupid to succeed at ND. Normally, as you said, with competitive kids you would expect that someone throwing that in your face would only motivate you to prove them wrong, but it worked in the case of Lynch. That should tell us all we need to know about Aaron.

eric_navy
12-05-2010, 09:23 PM
We'll never know for sure of course, but based on ND's track record if Lynch had not flipped he most likely would have graduated from ND, or at the very least be in good academic standing if he skipped to the NFL early,

This is the reason I find it confusing that people get any mileage out of that argument. I just can't see selling someone the idea that they can't hack it when 90+% of FB players graduate in four years. I think they're more likely selling the idea that keeping up with academic requirement along with FB will prevent them from having any fun. That seems like something that could sway a few kids.

KamaraPolice
12-05-2010, 09:41 PM
This is the reason I find it confusing that people get any mileage out of that argument. I just can't see selling someone the idea that they can't hack it when 90+% of FB players graduate in four years. I think they're more likely selling the idea that keeping up with academic requirement along with FB will prevent them from having any fun. That seems like something that could sway a few kids.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

ChicagoIrish
12-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Damn, that Jamba Juice is good stuff...:hahaha:

ha.

zimmsbg78
12-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Twitter updates from the Shrine Bowl..............http://twitter.com/barryevery

Councel just tatooed vad lee
5 minutes ago via Mobile Web

zimmsbg78
12-14-2010, 08:37 AM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1164985 (free)

However, the linebackers were clearly dominant. Anson stud Stephone Anthony made many big plays in the morning, Butler 'backer Kris Frost was flying off the edge all day and A.C. Reynolds standout Ben Councell showed his versatility by lining up close to the line of scrimmage and also dropping into coverage. White Oak's Tremayne McNair was also impressive, especially in coverage. Councell and McNair both had interceptions during the afternoon practice on great reads and McNair had a batted pass that also nearly turned into a turnover.

zimmsbg78
12-14-2010, 09:22 AM
http://footballrecruiting.247sports.com/Article/Monday-Shrine-Bowl-Roundup--8320 (free)

Impressions

Ben Councell, OLB, Asheville (N.C.) A.C. Reynolds

Councell, who confirmed that he is now solid to Notre Dame after his official visit to South Bend, has a great frame and is fast. He reminds some of an upgraded version of current Vanderbilt linebacker John Stokes, who like Councell is a tall, fast player at the position and who is a standout for the Commodores on defense. Stokes also was a four-star prospect coming out of high school.

JMR8
12-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Nice! Keeping him was huge. He is gonna be good. Fast, poweful, tall, athletic!

NDisNCin2010
12-15-2010, 08:18 PM
tweet from the shrine bowl...

#1 OLB Stephone Anthony told me fellow NC LB & ND commit Ben Councell has impressed him: said: "He can run & he plays physical" about

IrishFan123
12-18-2010, 11:11 AM
http://notredame.rivals.com//content.asp?CID=1166658

Shrine Bowl: Top 10 Players

8) Ben Councell, LB, North Carolina
Councell is skinny on the hoof, but he is sneaky fast, very smart and so smooth in his drops you'd think he was born to cover backs in the flat. He anticipates the play very well, doesn't overcommit and he is physical upon arrival to the football. He has good ball skills and gets the proper depth in coverage making him a threat to pick off passes in college. Perfect as an outside linebacker in a 3-4, he could also be a situational pass rusher in a 4-3 defense because he loves to come off the edge. Once he adds some weight and much needed upper and lower body strength, he will be a solid and steady linebacker at the next level who can also get after the quarterback.

NDisNCin2010
12-18-2010, 12:31 PM
sleeper of this class perhaps?

JMR8
12-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Awesome. His speed is going to help so much for our D. Glad we kept him on board. He's physical, fast and athletic, i dont know why he didnt get more attention, but im not too worried about it. I'll take the sleeper call.

IrishFan123
12-18-2010, 01:17 PM
I don't think he's that much of a sleeper..my sleeper pick is grace.

lowayne
12-18-2010, 01:50 PM

Grace has a 4* offer list. Seems coaches don't think he is a sleeper.

A number of our guys are like this, good offers but not the stars/ranking - Grace, Rabasa, Golson, Hanratty and even Farley. Prestwood would have been in that category too but he decided to be short sighted about his education.

I heard Ben is under the radar a lot but I didn't know why. The attention at the Shrine Bowl seems to be explain'n.

JMR8
12-18-2010, 02:12 PM

I didnt think so either, but when you look at ranking wise. He isn't a top ranked LB, but I'm sure he will end up playing like one.

Funny how Golson didnt make the list when they were saying he was one of the best players there and the top qb.

theman
12-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Was Defensive Player of the Game during the Shrine Bowl. He had 13 tackles, 1.5 TFL, 1 sack, and blocked a punt. This guy outplayed Stephone Anthony and Kris Frost. Easily a 4* prospect, maybe close to a 5*. This guy is a game-changer.

ChicagoIrish
12-18-2010, 04:58 PM
him and rabasa are my defensive sleepers, based on things I've read recently, post-season.

IrishFan123
12-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Was Defensive Player of the Game during the Shrine Bowl. He had 13 tackles, 1.5 TFL, 1 sack, and blocked a punt. This guy outplayed Stephone Anthony and Kris Frost. Easily a 4* prospect, maybe close to a 5*. This guy is a game-changer.

That's pretty good considering Clowney played in that game as well.

theman
12-18-2010, 05:44 PM
That's pretty good considering Clowney played in that game as well.

Clowney had five tackles, two QB hurries, and two sacks to go along with him forcing five holding calls. He is the real-deal, but Councell, from the sounds of the guys on the radio broadcast, actually OUTPLAYED Clowney. Councell may be the steal of the century.

zimmsbg78
12-21-2010, 09:22 AM
http://footballrecruiting.247sports.com/Article/Shrine-Bowl-of-the-Carolinas-8863

Stock up

Ben Councell, OLB, Asheville (N.C.) A.C. Reynolds

The Notre Dame commit had 13 tackles in the game and blocked a punt. We had been hearing that the 6-foot-5, 225-pounder had a very good senior season, and the week of work at the Shrine Bowl - and his performance in the game - likely earned his way into the Top247 and a higher numerical grade when final rankings are released.

JDNDSyrnafan
12-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Clowney had five tackles, two QB hurries, and two sacks to go along with him forcing five holding calls. He is the real-deal, but Councell, from the sounds of the guys on the radio broadcast, actually OUTPLAYED Clowney. Councell may be the steal of the century.

Having OUTPLAYED the #1 recruit in the nation, I would hope he gets at least another star. His measurables are eye catching. The reports that he has a very high football mentality, bodes well for the Irish. He is my Calabrese for this class, unsung(until this week) solid football player.

ab2cmiller
12-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Article from last summer said he would consider looking into being an EE. Is this still a possibility or has he ruled it out?

a1ND
12-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Having OUTPLAYED the #1 recruit in the nation, I would hope he gets at least another star. His measurables are eye catching. The reports that he has a very high football mentality, bodes well for the Irish. He is my Calabrese for this class, unsung(until this week) solid football player.

The broadcaster saying he outplayed Clowney would be the only person saying that from everything I have read including a firsthand account of the game. Clowney was absolutely dominant in the game and caused several holding penalties and hurries disrupting the NC offense. He was the best player at the game and it wasn't even close....but having said that, some also believe that Councell was second best not just during the game, but during the whole week of practice.

wicket
12-21-2010, 10:51 AM
and good all-star performances is THE way to get stars with rivals

a1ND
12-21-2010, 10:59 AM
and good all-star performances is THE way to get stars with rivals

We know that's the truth Wick!

IrishFan123
01-03-2011, 08:08 PM
A question sent to Mike Farell on a blog;

Councell won't be a three star when all is said and done and yes, I think he was robbed of the MVP at the Shrine Bowl. He had 13 tackles I think and he should have won it but Frost was the most explosive player on the NC defense all week, practice and game included. He's just a tick more athletic.

IrishFan123
01-14-2011, 11:24 PM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/3977-councell-ready-to-shine

Councell Ready to Shine
Friday, 14 January 2011 19:46 Bryan Driskell

For Ben Councell (Asheville, N.C./A.C. Reynolds), the recruiting process has been a time of excitement, opportunity, and a lot of stress. With the process winding down and Signing Day right around the corner, the A.C. Reynolds star was able to reflect on his final season in high school, his recruitment, his decision to attend Notre Dame, and his future.

Brian Kelly has said he wants to emphasize recruiting players that are used to winning. Consider Councell one of those players.

Councell and his A.C. Reynolds teammates finished the 2010 season with a 12-2 record, losing in the 4A State Quarterfinals. For Councell, the 12-2 record was a disappointment. During his four-year career at A.C. Reynolds High School, Councell would be a part of 45 wins and only ten defeats. Reynolds won the 2009 4A State Championship with Councell as their top defender.

“It was definitely a little bit of a letdown, not being able to win state again,” said the standout linebacker. “We made a good run though, and all in all it was a good season.”

Councell was named the Mountain Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year and the 4A State Defensive Player of the Year. What makes that honor even more impressive is the fact that ESPN Top 150 defensive end Jermaurio Rasco (Asheville, N.C./Asheville) plays in the same conference as Councell.

His stellar play during his senior season earned him a berth into the prestigious Shrine Bowl, which pits the best players from the state of North Carolina against the best players from the state of South Carolina. Councell, who finished the season with 141 tackles and 22 tackles for loss, was the only player from the Western part of the state to earn an invite into the game.

“It’s a big honor for a North Carolina kid,” Councell said of the Shrine Bowl invite. “To be named to it was a great honor. At first I did not know it was such a big deal, but then I saw that my coaches were so excited. I was the only kid in Western Carolina to be named to the game.”

The 6-foot-5 linebacker did not know what to expect once he arrived to begin the week of practice. “Going into it I was a little unsure,” Councell explained. “I didn’t know if I was going to get some playing time. I mean, these are the top players from North Carolina and South Carolina. I was just hoping to get some playing time.”

Not only did Councell get playing time, he shined during the week of practice and in the game, where he was named North Carolina’s Defensive Player of the Game after finishing with 10 tackles, three tackles for loss, and blocking a punt. In a game that featured the nation’s No. 1 overall player (Jadeveon Clowney) and several of the nation’s top linebackers (Kris Frost, Stephone Anthony, Lateek Townsend), Councell would stand out, proving he belongs among the nation’s elite.

“I went in to prove myself,” Councell said of his outlook heading into the game. “I worked real hard, and to get to play against those players was an honor. I wasn’t sure how I would hold up.”

The Shrine Bowl experience showed Councell he belongs, and gave him a taste of what is to come. “Getting that feel and realizing I can play with these guys was an awesome experience,” noted the standout linebacker.

Councell committed to Notre Dame in June, but during his senior season he began to have doubts about whether or not Notre Dame was the right place for him.

“I was a little unsure for a while because of the distance,” Councell said of his thought process during the season. “I just did not know if it was truly the right spot for me. I was really stressed out for a while. I was committed here but was still looking there.”

After visiting South Carolina unofficially, Councell considered reopening his commitment. But before he would do that, he decided to visit Notre Dame one more time, just to be certain. This time he would travel to South Bend with his mother, who had never been to the campus.

“I went up with mom because she hadn’t been there before,” Councell said of his final visit to South Bend. “I had a good visit and they treated us real nice. I got to get in depth with the whole program and the academics. I got a lot of questions answered and mom got a lot of questions answered. At the end I realized it was the right place for me.”

Councell’s parents have been a big part of his recruiting process. “I wanted them to be a part of the decision making,” continued the Reynolds star. “Dad loved the whole program. Mom loved the academics. She just wanted the best for me. She was able to meet a lot of the coaches and the people who would be mentoring over me while I am there.”

His future teammates were also a reason Councell felt so comfortable sticking with the Irish. “When I went up for my official visit there were like nine recruits up there,” Councell said of his official visit to Notre Dame. “They were a good group of guys. From what I have seen we are all a lot alike. That’s something the coaches are saying they are trying to recruit.”

When he returned from his official visit Councell decided to end his recruitment and stick with the Irish. “I am comfortable with my decision, I’m confident in it,” Councell said. “Getting to talk with Coach Kelly I know it’s the right spot for me. Now I can get all that out of the way and go on from here, and now I can be confident in my decision.”

Councell now gets to do something he has not been able to do for some time. “Now I get to focus on the rest of my time in high school and just relax,” said the relieved linebacker.

Kelly and Mike Elston, who was Councell’s main recruiter, paid a visit to Asheville, North Carolina last week to spend some time with the Councell family. “It was awesome,” Councell said of his time with the Irish coaches. “They flew in Friday afternoon and came up to see us. We had about four or five hours, it was snowing, it was just real nice. My head coach came over too, it was a good experience.

“At first everyone was trying to act all proper,” laughed Councell. “But after that it was real comfortable and everyone was laughing and joking. We got a lot of talking done.”

Councell is being recruited to play the Dog linebacker position for the Irish, something that excites him. “It’s similar to what we ran (at A.C. Reynolds), and I played it during the Shrine Bowl when I was there,” noted the Reynolds standout. “I have a lot of experience at the position. I love the variety the position brings. One play you will be dropping back on the pass, one play you are covering the flats, one play you are coming off the edge. It’s exciting.”

When he arrives in South Bend, Councell is looking to immediately make his presence felt. “I am going to come up there and fight for a starting spot,” Councell said of his plans during his freshman year. “I am going to try to earn playing time as a freshman. I want to make an impact right away.”

With Kerry Neal graduating and big question marks remaining at the position, Councell will certainly get his opportunity.

But for now, Councell is ready to enjoy the rest of his senior year before he heads up North to put on the Blue and Gold.

COMMENTS: Councell will need to put work in between now and the time he arrives on campus in June. There is no doubt that Councell has all the physical tools (speed, agility, length) to play right away. But the 225-pound linebacker must get stronger if he wants to make a big impact as a freshman. If he is able to gain the necessary strength, Councell could have an impact very early on as a linebacker and special teams player. His skill set is perfect for the Dog position thanks to his ability to play the pass, show great range in the zone, his ability to get after the quarterback, and his toughness on the edge in the run game. Players with his speed, size, and range are very rare. After struggling with his college decision, Councell is clearly excited about heading up to South Bend. He might not get the national acclaim of his more highly regarded classmates, but Councell is as good as any player Notre Dame is bringing into this class. His commitment to Notre Dame is one of the biggest gets of this recruiting cycle.

FONZIE993
01-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Good article on the kid, i'm really high on him for the future.

shocker24
01-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Should get a pretty good ratings bump with an article like this. He could be the surprise of the class! http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1177121

#1 Surprise of the All-Star Games
Ben Councell

School: Asheville (N.C.) A.C. Reynolds Buzz: Councell entered the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas as a guy rumored to be underrated as a mid-level three-star guy. He left it as one of the top prospects in the nation. Playing outside linebacker in the 3-4 set required of the defenses at the game, Councell flourished and likely should have been named the Defensive MVP for his team with 13 tackles. He's more instinctive than he is athletic and more of a hustler than he is a speedster, but regardless Councell knows where he needs to be and is always in the right position to make a play. That made him the surprise of surprises.

a1ND
01-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Postseason TR Grade: 5.8
Why: Councell has the passion for getting to the ball that you look for in a defender. He still needs to add more weight and strength, but he already knows how to play the game (pursuit, engaging a defender and shedding, timing) on the outside. As he learns more pass-rushing techniques and gets bigger Councell could become better than most thought.

will be a 4 star on TR site (if they redo their rankings)

http://www.theringer.com/Article/News/40?title=Stock-Up%3A-Part-I

FONZIE993
01-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Rivals boosted him up to a 4* and up to #91 on the Top 100.

IrishFan123
01-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Rivals moved him up to number five on the weakside defensive ends list:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2658

IrishFan123
01-21-2011, 10:46 PM
ESPN gave him a 4* #19 OLB

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recruiting/prospects/_/class/2011/position/olb

IrishCrasher
01-21-2011, 10:58 PM
ESPN gave him a 4* #19 OLB

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recruiting/prospects/_/class/2011/position/olb

Congrats Ben, well deserved!

DublinIrish
02-02-2011, 08:16 AM
und_video_crew profile

und_video_crew Our first fax has been confirmed! It is from Ben Councell, ranked the fifth-best weak-side DE in the nation by Rivals.

Nice!

IrishCrasher
02-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Congrats Ben welcome to the ND Family!

mcbri014
05-26-2011, 10:40 PM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1225844

Councell Confident for Next Step

Ben Councell flipped on the Blue-Gold Game last month to see a familiar face.

Councell has put on 10 pounds using the Longo plan.
The 6-foot-5, 230-pound outside linebacker from Asheville, N.C., watched early enrollee Everett Golson run the Notre Dame offense, throwing a touchdown pass and scrambling for 62 yards just months after Councell tried to tackle him in the Shrine Bowl. The two Irish commits played in the Carolina all-star game in mid-December.

"It was awesome to see how he showed up and played just like he did in the Shrine Bowl, running around the field, making some plays," Councell said. "You're just out there playing football, that's the biggest thing, getting over the mental thing of playing college football. When it comes down to it, you're just playing football like you've always done. It was cool to see him, even without much practice, doing his thing."

Next month Councell will get started on his own career after making the mid-June drive from the mountains of western North Carolina to South Bend. He'll face the lifestyle adjustment of leaving home to go with the fact he's going to a program with BCS aspirations and plenty of defensive talent to push him.

Councell admitted if he'd known the kind of star quality athletes that would be joining him at Notre Dame when he committed last June, it would have surprised him. The Irish inked Aaron Lynch, Ishaq Williams and Stephon Tuitt, all three Top 30 players in the front seven.

But when Councell, a four-star prospect who jumped into the Rivals100 thanks to his strong week at the Shrine Bowl, saw how Notre Dame recruits after he committed to the Irish, the former A.C. Reynolds star wouldn't have put anything past Brian Kelly and Co.

"When I first committed I got a lot of flack from people around here for choosing Notre Dame and not staying in the South," Councell said. "At first it was 'why are you going up there? They don't have a great recruiting class.' But the way this class came together, it shut people's mouths. Now there's a lot of respect for Notre Dame.

"Seeing how these coaches recruit and form relationships, that sold me. At first I thought they didn't really need me and as I was looking around at other schools I could see how serious the Notre Dame coaches took recruiting. After that I saw that they knew how to recruit and I knew that they'd get who they wanted."

Notre Dame was among the first programs to want Councell, offering when his list was limited to in-state ACC programs. South Carolina made a late run when Councell started to wonder about the distance between home and Notre Dame, but a late official visit settled his commitment.

Since signing with the Irish, Councell has embraced Notre Dame's workout plan, putting on 10 pounds to get up to 230 and holding his own with the conditioning sprints. After working through the series of 350-yard sprints, Councell has moved on to shorter stuff, the regimen shifting to 10 100-yard sprints, eight 80-yard sprints, six 60-yard sprints and four 40-yard sprints with set times to complete the series.

"I was expecting a little harder workout with the lifting, this is more just getting you in shape and getting you ready," Councell said. "The running part, that was a little tough not having coaches pushing you, not running with teammates. You're out there as an individual a lot."

Councell requested to wear his high school No. 6, now worn by Theo Riddick, but doesn't know if he'll keep that single digit in South Bend. It might just be another adjustment Councell needs to make while settling into the "dog" linebacker position occupied by Prince Shembo and Danny Spond.

Now sitting out spring football for the first time in years, Councell just wants to get started. He'll miss the mountains of his hometown and the access to authentic sweet tea once he arrives at Notre Dame, but he'll have football back.

"Right now I'm still in high school and they're doing spring practice and I just go home after school," Councell said. "I miss football and I'm ready to get back into it."

NDgrandson
05-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Ben Councell
Nothing like being naked, 15 feet under water with a scuba tank, taking a poop n bahamas water!!!! BEST FEELINgg in the world!i
May 13 at 7:23pm via Mobile Web

I thought I would share this from Ben's fb. He seems like a funny guy. I had a good laugh for a while.