PDA

View Full Version : ’11 OH DE Chase Hounshell (1/17/11 Notre Dame LOI)

irishunclebill
02-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Strongside Defensive End
Lake Catholic High School (Kirtland, OH)

Links of Interest:
Rivals Profile (http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Chase-Hounshell-93890)

Height: 6 foot-5
Weight: 242 lbs.
Forty: 4.82 secs.
Bench Max: 335 lbs.
Squat Max:
Shuttle: 4.20 secs.
Vertical: 33 in.
GPA: 3.2

Multimedia

irishunclebill
02-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Chase Hounshell
http://i47.tinypic.com/mrzqep.jpg

irishunclebill
02-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Chase has offers from 3 MAC schools, UCF, and Vandy. He is the brother of ’08 recruit OT Chad Hounshell who ND took a look at near the end of the ’08 cycle. Chad ended up at UCF, hence the early offer for brother Chase.

Oklahoma State, Ohio State, UCLA, Alabama, Oregon, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Cincinnati, BC, Central Michigan, West Virginia, and Penn State are all showing some interest. Chase seems to think he would pick up an offer from pOSU, BC, and Penn State if he shows up at any of their Junior Days. Based on his offers to date that does not sound likely, especially in the case of pOSU & Penn State. He also has an ambitious Top 5 considering his offers, Oregon, Ohio State, UCF, Alabama, and LSU. Of those 5 only UCF has offered. No real interest from ND or vice versa, but a name to be filed away possibly for later down the road

stonebreakerwasgod
02-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Stock rising for Ohio OL
Chase Hounshell (Kirtland, Ohio/Lake Catholic) is starting to see his stock rise as he recently picked up a BCS conference offer and is expecting more.

"Recruiting is going really well," he said. "I visited Vanderbilt last week and loved everything about it. They offered. After that, I went to Cincinnati and they said they want to watch just a little more film, but things are looking good for them to offer, too."

Michigan, Michigan State and Virginia also have been showing interest.

The 6-foot-4, 245-pounder, who has a bench press max of 350 pounds, said that he plans to visit Ohio State and Purdue this coming weekend. He grew up, as most do in Ohio, a fan of the Buckeyes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru..._jc&id=4940900 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/columns/story?columnist=shurburtt_jc&id=4940900)

zimmsbg78
03-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Chase's profile at scoutingohio.com with video..............http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.php/view-profile.html?task=userProfile&user=2202&name=Chasehounshell%40yahoo.com

zimmsbg78
03-05-2010, 07:10 AM
http://www.nittanynetwork.com/index.php/component/resource/article/8-basketball--stories/1004-nittany-insider--maiden-voyage

Kurelic: Hounshell waiting on JoePa

The Nittany Lions have not offered a scholarship to Mentor (Ohio) Lake Catholic defensive end Chase Hounshell. However, they are interested.

How interested the Penn State staff is in Hounshell might be decided in the near future. According to a source, Hounshell’s highlight film is currently sitting on Joe Paterno’s desk.

Hounshell plans to attend Penn State’s senior camp during the summer, but if Joe Pa and the staff like what they see of Hounshell’s tape they will likely step up their recruitment of the 6-foot-5 and 250-pound defensive end. Jay Paterno stopped at Lake Catholic High School in January.

Hounshell has scholarship offers from Vanderbilt, Central Florida, Akron, Bowling Green and Ohio University. Penn State, Ohio State, Purdue, Cincinnati, Iowa, Boston College and West Virginia are some of the other schools showing interest.

irishunclebill
03-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Chase will be attending ND's Junior Day.

zimmsbg78
03-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Hounshell has spoke highly of Vanderbilt (after unofficial visit) and now pOSU (after unofficial visit). Hounshell is hoping for an pOSU offer and said he will camp there in June if they haven't offered by then. Started at OT and DT for his HS team last year. He has upcoming visits planned for ND, Pitt, LSU, MSU and said he's considering visit requests from BC and West Virginia. Names a top five of Vandy, UCF, pOSU, Purdue and MSU. Wants to commit before the start of his senior season.

irishunclebill
05-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Chase received a visit today (probably from Warriner) and said that he plans on attending ND's one day camp on June 29. He also said he was told he would get an offer if he goes to the camp, but I would guess that what he was actually told is that if the staff liked how he performs at the camp he would get an offer. In any case Chase is now up to 14 offers.

ND is recruiting Chase as an OT, not a DE. His older brother Chad was also recruited by the Irish 3 years ago as an OT and he is currently listed as the backup LOG on the UCF depth chart.

zimmsbg78
05-18-2010, 10:08 AM
http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2010/05/18/sports/nh2516492.txt

Lake Catholic offensive tackle Chase Hounshell has been nominated to play in the 2011 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

Hounshell — an All-Ohioan and all-News-Herald selection — is one of 400 of the nation’s top seniors who have been nominated to play in the game on Jan. 8, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio. Only 90 will be selected to play in the annual East vs. West classic, which will be televised at 1 p.m. on WKYC.

Hounshell was nominated by the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Selection Committee, which consists of All American Games’ network of regional directors throughout the country, Rivals.com and Tom Lemming.

The 6-foot-5, 265-pound senior had 31 pancake blocks last year as part of a talented offensive line that helped lead the Cougars’ charge to the Division II state semifinals.

cont...

zimmsbg78
05-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Chase has added offers from MSU and Wisconsin recently. He says MSU stands out right now. He will attend one day camps this summer at ND, pOSU and Cincinnati. He will also unofficially visit MSU and Wisconsin during the summer.

Synoptico
06-17-2010, 01:52 PM
ISDUpdate

Touted defensive end Chase Hounshell really impressed the Notre Dame coaching staff at Thursday's camp. http://tinyurl.com/357nsrn

Didn't realize he was there

HoffVir
06-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Didn't realize he was there

As far as realizing Chase is at ND, are you getting him mixed up with Ben Councell (http://www.goldhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=20646)? Because I know I have a few times.

irishunclebill
06-17-2010, 02:09 PM
As far as realizing Chase is at ND, are you getting him mixed up with Ben Councell (http://www.goldhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=20646)? Because I know I have a few times.

Councell is supposed to be getting there today as well, although I'm pretty sure not for camp.

Griff Cannon
06-17-2010, 02:15 PM

I keep confusing councell and burton

Synoptico
06-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Naw just for some reason I never saw his name on the list even though it is clearly there. Oh well.

irishunclebill
06-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Hounshell's performance could affect Flavin as well as it has been reported that ND is looking at Chase as an OT.

irishunclebill
06-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Hounshell's performance could affect Flavin as well as it has been reported that ND is looking at Chase as an OT.

Conflicting reports on whether Hounshell is being recruited for the DL or the OL. One site is now saying DL and that Chase expects to get an Irish offer before the end of the month.

grokster
06-17-2010, 04:48 PM
There was a report that the ND coaching staff was going to reevaluate two of the DE's that have already committed to decide if one could move over to OT. If that happens then a slot opens up for Hounshell. Seems to have seriously impressed the coaches and was a nightmare for the OT's trying out. Flavin admitted that Hounshell was extremely tough in the one on ones.

Jiggafini19
06-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Conflicting reports on whether Hounshell is being recruited for the DL or the OL. One site is now saying DL and that Chase expects to get an Irish offer before the end of the month.

He's one of those guys who could play both. If they're offering him, I think it is pretty clear how they feel about Flavin at this point.

This is very interesting.

irishunclebill
06-17-2010, 09:21 PM
He's one of those guys who could play both. If they're offering him, I think it is pretty clear how they feel about Flavin at this point.

This is very interesting.

It turns out that Chase was the source of the confusion. He had told one ND site last month that he was being recruited as an OL, and then told a different one this month that they are looking at him for the DL. I agree that he could play both but it does look now like if he gets an offer it will be for the DL, even though that doesn't really mean much at this point.

Revolver
07-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Patience is a virtue.

therizz
07-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Patience is a virtue.

Does that mean he is getting an offer?

Revolver
07-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Does that mean he is getting an offer?

Maybe. We'll see in the next few days.

therizz
07-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks brother man. Keep posting!

Jiggafini19
07-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Hold out for Lynch. Don't give up on him until he commits to another school.

HoffVir
07-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Hold out for Lynch. Don't give up on him until he commits to another school.

... and even then.

Revolver
07-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I wish we would take Lynch AND Hounshell rather than Lynch and a QB.

So many things you could do with his name.

You ain't nothin' but a Hounshell...

Heroes in a Hounshell....turtle power!

The Hounshell of the Baskervilles

Ect.

NDgrandson
07-11-2010, 10:30 PM
I wish we would take Lynch AND Hounshell rather than Lynch and a QB.

So many things you could do with his name.

You ain't nothin' but a Hounshell...

Heroes in a Hounshell....turtle power!

The Hounshell of the Baskervilles

Ect.

I think there are far more variables involved than Hounshell vs QB. Not sure if you were implying that, but in case you are, thought I would throw in my $.02.

irishunclebill
07-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Chase has a Top 6. Boston College, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Iowa and Florida. All but ND & Florida have offered. Chase is saying that he will be calling the ND staff tomorrow and expects to get an offer at that point. Since ND still looking at him as a DE, it would be a bit of a surprise if he picked up an offer tomorrow or anytime before the end of this month.

grokster
07-27-2010, 10:50 AM
with Drew and Truitt still in the mix and the strong possibility of landing Lynch, I would not see an offer at this point. That does not rule out the possibility of one being made later in August.

irishunclebill
07-27-2010, 10:55 AM
with Drew and Truitt still in the mix and the strong possibility of landing Lynch, I would not see an offer at this point. That does not rule out the possibility of one being made later in August.

By Drew being in the mix do you mean because he is just uncommitted or has something changed in regard to his interest in ND. The last update I saw from him indicated absolutley no interest in the Irish.

theman
07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
By Drew being in the mix do you mean because he is just uncommitted or has something changed in regard to his interest in ND. The last update I saw from him indicated absolutley no interest in the Irish.

He has interest in ND from a spiritual standpoint, but you are right. We have no shot. He is either UGA/FSU.

morrdave9
07-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Perhaps you were thinking of Niklas?

grokster
07-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Perhaps you were thinking of Niklas?

Not a clue on Niklas other than sources purport that he is down to Stanford or ND. IUB perhaps could give you a better insight into the Niklas situation.

theman
07-28-2010, 07:36 AM
We have much better people on the board at DE than this guy ATM. We have Lynch, Niklas, Tuitt, and even Drew left. Also, if we were to offer a new DE, I would want that prospect to be this guy:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=106181&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d106 181%26season%3d2011

SouthernIrish
07-28-2010, 07:44 AM
I sort of agree. With 3 potential DE already on board (I am jumping the gun and assuming Lynch is Irish, plus Springman and Carrico), I don't see the need to take someone who is even a little bit of a reach. Better to save the spot for an early impact player that decides close to NSD particularly if ND has a great season and wins a bowl game.

irishunclebill
07-28-2010, 10:14 AM
We have much better people on the board at DE than this guy ATM. We have Lynch, Niklas, Tuitt, and even Drew left. Also, if we were to offer a new DE, I would want that prospect to be this guy:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=106181&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d106 181%26season%3d2011

We actually already have a profile for this kid but it was just under Koa Kai. Now that I see he has a Lake in front of that I can update it.

theman
07-28-2010, 10:47 AM
We actually already have a profile for this kid but it was just under Koa Kai. Now that I see he has a Lake in front of that I can update it.

Sorry. I didn't see the profile. My b.

irishunclebill
07-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Sorry. I didn't see the profile. My b.

Not a problem. If you didn't post that link with the Lake name in it I would have never found his Rivals profile.

zimmsbg78
08-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Florida has recently increased their recruiting attention towards Chase. He will now unofficially visit Florida on thursday.

lowayne
08-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Seems like Chase is the backup plan for a few programs. Nothing wrong with that, and yes it is pure speculation.

Sparks inda Loo
08-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Best of luck to him. The kid jumped through every hoop ND put out there. Other kids just jumped higher. Can't fault the effort.

Synoptico
08-11-2010, 04:10 PM
ThaRinger THARINGER

OT Chase Hounshell has committed to Florida. The versatile lineman was also being recruited at DE by some.

Chomp Chomp

theman
08-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Chomp Chomp

Good for him. Now, ND can just focus on the big-fish. I want this class to finish strong and with some high ****-***** guys. In order to be the best, you need to get the best. On a side note, I am shocked UF offered him.

NDgrandson
08-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Chomp Chomp

Wow. You know things are going well when kids we choose not to offer are committing to Florida and Alabama. Either that or we are stupid. Time will tell.

stew654
08-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I agree with both of these non offers. We can wait for next yr for a qb and have bigger fish than chase.

SpanishElite
08-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I hope this non offer doesnt come back and bite ND in the butt...

publicola
08-12-2010, 08:49 PM
I hope this non offer doesnt come back and bite ND in the butt...

He is a "non-offer" to a lot of schools -- his best offer outside of FL is Boston College, Iowa, Wisconsin, or Michigan State, depending on your taste. Those are all schools that know how to coach up their players...which is to say that they do a lot with not a lot. His offers are a bit better than Springmann's and Carrico's, but not by a bunch. Still, I suspect he'll be a good contributor once he's been coached up. I think FL is looking at him for OL, no? I kind of hope Springmann or Carrico end up on OL.

Irishlaw
08-12-2010, 09:21 PM
at this point youd almost have to replace a current commit to make room for him (i.e. one of our current commits shouldnt have gotten an offer so that hounshell could have). burton, councell, rabasa, lynch all appear to have much higher ceilings and, in my very worthless opinion, are much more deserving of the spot. true, we would make room for an elite player (tuitt, ishaq, scarlett, french or niklas) but i dont think hounshell is in that conversation. carrico and springman appear the most comparable (again, to my untrained eyes) but those were two of our first commits and were needed to insure that we had some bodies on the line. even if hounshell turns out to be an aa, i dont know how nd could have approached this any differently.

Jiggafini19
11-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Reporting an ND offer, but is sticking with Florida regardless.

IrishFan123
12-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Visited by the coaches today

zimmsbg78
12-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Hounshell visiting ND this weekend??

irishunclebill
12-02-2010, 12:19 PM

I thought he told the staff yesterday during an in-home visit to basically stuff the ND offer.

FONZIE993
12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
You think Urban leaving puts his rumored visit into a new light?

NDisNCin2010
12-08-2010, 02:00 PM
well at least now he could save face if he really wanted ND the whole time

irishunclebill
12-11-2010, 11:45 PM

Looks like you just had the wrong weekend Zimm. Hounshell was at ND this weekend, apparently on an OV.

stonebreakerwasgod
12-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Interesting to see if there is real interest, but I think the new hire may quell that.

irishunclebill
12-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Interesting to see if there is real interest, but I think the new hire may quell that.

Depends on how much Chase was looking at scheme wise, the Trattou/Lueders excuse. Of course that excuse only applies if your looking for an excuse to bolt anyway.

irishunclebill
12-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Hounshell taking an OV to UF next weekend. I hope that steak was good Chase.

IrishinTN
12-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Another food thread?

irishunclebill
12-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Another food thread?

Might as well be. This one we'll have to be about steak houses though to stay in theme.

I'll start. Ruths Chris where Chase had his $86 steak is way overpriced and overrated.

JGilberts & Flemings have equal or better quality, a better atmosphere, and are much more reasonable. However, Ruths Chris drawfs both of them (especially JGilberts) in terms of number of locations.

IrishinTN
12-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Hmm, I have eaten Ruth's Chris and thought it was excellent, but as you state a bit overpriced. Flemings is across the street, so I'll have to give that one a try. Man, I do get more out of these food threads.

irishunclebill
12-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Hmm, I have eaten Ruth's Chris and thought it was excellent, but as you state a bit overpriced. Flemings is across the street, so I'll have to give that one a try. Man, I do get more out of these food threads.

Check to see if your local Fleming's has a Sunday night Prime Rib special. Mine has one for $36.95 and it includes a salad, side dish, and dessert. Great deal, great Prime Rib as well.

irishunclebill
01-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Chase will not be doing EE at UF, and plans to make a final announcement on NSD between UF and ND. I guess that makes him a UF soft verbal now.

ChicagoIrish
01-03-2011, 04:24 PM
well that's kind of out of the blue. I had written off any possibility of landing this kid.

mcbri014
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Chase will not be doing EE at UF, and plans to make a final announcement on NSD between UF and ND. I guess that makes him a UF soft verbal now.

Guess that makes his "Notre Lame" comment irrelevant. That would be great to get this kid. I remember reading that he dominated at the ND camp over summer. What position will he likely end up at for us? OL or DE?

Revolver
01-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Guess that makes his "Notre Lame" comment irrelevant. That would be great to get this kid. I remember reading that he dominated at the ND camp over summer. What position will he likely end up at for us? OL or DE?

DE is what he was being recruited for.

mcbri014
01-03-2011, 04:53 PM
DE is what he was being recruited for.

Thanks. I like his versatility though if Florida is recruiting him as an OL. That will definitely be nice to have.

DirtySecret
01-03-2011, 08:41 PM

I wouldn't want him and I won't cheer for him. It was a tasteless comment doesn't matter if it was a heat of the moment type deal.

NDisNCin2010
01-03-2011, 08:42 PM
to me this has "Muschamp and new UF staff wants no part of the kid" written all over it

DirtySecret
01-03-2011, 09:05 PM
to me this has "Muschamp and new UF staff wants no part of the kid" written all over it

The kid is all class..

http://twitter.com/chasehounshell

Hope ben rapelisberger dies ina car crash on his way back to shittsberg.

He's obviously not Irish material.

Synoptico
01-03-2011, 09:09 PM
The kid is all class..

His twitter account is a mess and just makes himself look uneducated, cocky and immature.

DirtySecret
01-03-2011, 09:28 PM
His twitter account is a mess and just makes himself look uneducated, cocky and immature.

Kind of sounds like a recruit we had and lost to Michigan.. :stickmove:

IrishinTN
01-03-2011, 09:42 PM
The kid is all class..

Considering the stuff above, I don't think I blame them.

Revolver
01-03-2011, 10:22 PM

Which he is. Many of us were like that at 17.

He says what he thinks too much and he has some growing to do.

I'm guessing he felt slow played and then felt lied to by the staff.

cliff
01-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Dont care for this kid....look at he classless comment below:

Hope ben rapelisberger dies ina car crash on his way back to ****tsberg. #toucheslilgirls

brownkj002
01-03-2011, 10:31 PM
i wonder if muschamp doesn't want him?

pmarrack
01-03-2011, 10:55 PM
If (and yes I do mean if) Coach Kelly still wants this kid and Notre Dame admissions says he has the stuff to attend, those are character references I take seriously. And the people on this thread who say Hounshell sometimes sounds immature and uneducated have a point, but one of the biggest reasons I care about Notre Dame is because I consider it one of the best places in the country for adolescents to grow up and get educated.

IrishinTN
01-03-2011, 11:07 PM
honestly, if I met 17 year old me tomorrow, I would punch me in the face. We all had a lot of growing up to do.

DirtySecret
01-03-2011, 11:12 PM
honestly, if I met 17 year old me tomorrow, I would punch me in the face. We all had a lot of growing up to do.

Honestly, I wasn't much of a talker when I was 17 years of age. And I surely wouldn't make a comment like he did about Ben Roethlisberger.

NDgrandson
01-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Honestly, I wasn't much of a talker when I was 17 years of age. And I surely wouldn't make a comment like he did about Ben Roethlisberger.

I wouldn't put it on twitter, especially if I was a high profile recruit. But I did see a shirt that had that across the back and I thought it was funny. It was at a Ravens party.

ChicagoIrish
01-04-2011, 07:59 AM
I agree with his twitter post

IrishinTN
01-04-2011, 08:26 AM
I agree with his twitter post

So you want him to die in a car accident? Not sure I agree with that sentiment. I was talking more about saying something stupid at a young age. The whole Roethlisberger thing is a different story. I read all the testimony from all involved (it is, or at least was, available on-line). If you read it, you might not say things like that.

ChicagoIrish
01-04-2011, 08:57 AM
no. no. please don't misunderstand. ben is much more likely to be involved in a motorcycle accident.

morrdave9
01-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Chase is from NE Ohio...probably a Browns fan...they dont think too fondly of Roethlisberger regardless of the allegations. My guess is >50% of Browns fans share his sentiment but not all would admit it, and the rest wish him bodily harm without death.

The ND comments are in poor taste, especially since he is claiming they are one of his final 2. Perhaps he did feel like he was being slighted in regards to an offer after his camp performance and posted some things he shouldnt have.

If he signs with ND, I won't not route for him. He will be one of my least favortie recruits, though, and I hope that we will see some maturation during his time at ND.

Elston was pretty high on him after the camp so he could be a nice addition to go along with Tuitt and Carrico, bumping Springmann over to OL so that 1 more commit would give the staff 4 OL this class and 3 DL which would be a nice haul when you consider that Nix saved his year of eligibility.

morrdave9
01-04-2011, 09:01 AM
And as you can see from Chicago's comments, most Bengals fans share those sentiments as well.

ChicagoIrish
01-04-2011, 09:21 AM
I don't actually wish death on anyone. That part is total embellishment. but, I wouldn't be broken up if Ben sustained some injury on or off the field that somehow prevented him from either playing football or sexually assaulting anyone ever again. he's human garbage and it started well before allegations surfaced. We're getting pretty far afield here, so I won't say any more.

On topic: I agree that Hounshell has shown some poor judgment. his Notre Lame comment is pretty stupid from a kid who either actually has us in it until the end or wants people to believe that. That said, I do think we need at least one more big body in this class and if the staff still want him, I'll take it. I also think that his indecision is due to the staff changes - particularly the addition of Weis (not because of the man but because of his offense).

What I can't figure out is this kid's offer list. Outside of Florida and Notre Dame, there are almost no elite programs. You've got the middle and bottom of the big 10 (no OSU or Mich or Penn State, yet he's from Cleveland area), most of the Big East and almost all of the MAC. Sometimes I feel like Urban was trying to trick us into taking a recruit.

Synoptico
01-04-2011, 09:28 AM
What I can't figure out is this kid's offer list. Outside of Florida and Notre Dame, there are almost no elite programs. You've got the middle and bottom of the big 10 (no OSU or Mich or Penn State, yet he's from Cleveland area), most of the Big East and almost all of the MAC. Sometimes I feel like Urban was trying to trick us into taking a recruit.

From my understanding regarding his offer list is that he wanted ND, camped here and was turned away when Lynch committed. He was coming and impressing in the summer, was offered, and accepted Florida. He (based on his twitter) has been the biggest Florida supporter (like Hayes was with us) so I don't believe many schools offered him. Why waste the time? ND offered because he camped and they saw him first person.

He may have stopped sending out tapes or many never have sent them out far in the first place. He sent there where he wanted and they offered. The MAC offered are not surprising because they have probably been recruiting (or heard about him) for years being in the area.

ab2cmiller
01-04-2011, 09:37 AM
With Florida switching to a pro style offense, would've Chase been a better OL prospect for the spread or the pro style offense?

Revolver
01-04-2011, 07:10 PM
With Florida switching to a pro style offense, would've Chase been a better OL prospect for the spread or the pro style offense?

Probably the spread.

Revolver
01-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Will be visited by Kelly tomorrow night.

fightenmick2
01-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Revolver... If you think that photo on your Gold Helmet message board is funny, My being in WW2, I was through France,Belgium and into Germany, from 1944 to 1945. I for one resent it being on this message board. I doubt very much if you know the history of that person. I am sure you didn't mean to offend anyone..But I am old school and have a very long memory.

Revolver
01-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Revolver... If you think that photo on your Gold Helmet message board is funny, My being in WW2, I was through France,Belgium and into Germany, from 1944 to 1945. I for one resent it being on this message board. I doubt very much if you know the history of that person. I am sure you didn't mean to offend anyone..But I am old school and have a very long memory.

There. Changed it for you.

NDgrandson
01-05-2011, 12:58 AM

Woah. A guy with the name fight in his handle said Rev doesn't know his history. This should be good. I see your point though mick, even though I commented that it was a cool avatar.

NDgrandson
01-05-2011, 12:59 AM
There. Changed it for you.

That went down easier than I thought. Back to Chase.

BigIrish
01-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Kudos for speaking up, and thank you for your service.

cliff
01-05-2011, 09:50 AM
fightenmick - thank you for your service.

revolver - thank you for doing the right thing.

Back on subject....do we want this kid? The film I saw..he is "ok"....the concern i have is character, is writing that he wants someone dead and Notre Lame set ok with you guys? Not me...next....

BigIrish
01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
his twitter page seems a touch immature, but what 17 year old's twitter doesn't? i don't know the kid, and i certainly won't judge him based on a couple of comments he's made. if the staff likes him, take him. they're the only ones in position to judge his character and whether he's a fit at ND.

HoffVir
01-05-2011, 10:34 AM
I guarantee not every kid on the roster right now is a choir boy.

DirtySecret
01-05-2011, 09:53 PM
All I have to say is why?

Got a visit from Kelly & Ed Warinner today.

Will be visiting ND on Jan 22nd.

I rather them go after Anthony Chickillo hard.. Real hard!

NDgrandson
01-05-2011, 10:06 PM

Who is Kelly Warinner? J/K.

DirtySecret
01-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Who is Kelly Warinner? J/K.

You got me! He must be "lame."

NDisNCin2010
01-05-2011, 10:18 PM

i dont think the two of them are mutually exclusive kelly and co can go hard after both if they choose too

obviously chickillo is much better prospect by far though

stew654
01-06-2011, 05:54 AM
Is Jan 22nd the banquet?

NDisNCin2010
01-06-2011, 08:19 AM
good question when is our banquet this year?

Synoptico
01-06-2011, 08:23 AM

Also remember, many guys are in All Star games right now, therefor it would be pretty tough to use a home visit when the player isn't there. I am glad (regardless of which recruit) that they are visiting the ones not in all star games now. Good use of time.

irishunclebill
01-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Is Jan 22nd the banquet?

Yep. Also the banquet is going to be at the DeBartolo Center instead of Joyce which will make it a much more intimate team oriented banquet.

NDisNCin2010
01-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Yep. Also the banquet is going to be at the DeBartolo Center instead of Joyce which will make it a much more intimate team oriented banquet.

IUB did you get your invitation yet?:word:

irishunclebill
01-06-2011, 09:21 AM
IUB did you get your invitation yet?:word:

I'm stealing Chase's. He already had a free meal from ND.

J/k Chase. J/K.

IrishCrasher
01-06-2011, 10:30 AM

I also Heard BK in a presser say that the banquet was going to break from the norm and follow along the lines of an awards show more so. I hope there is some UND footage of the banquet, as I would love to see how it turns out.

BK basically said to the Media, that they would either love it or hate it, and he was sure the media would tell him about it later. He thought it was a good idea to change things up from the normal sit down thing. Sounds like it will be a more enjoyable atmosphere for a college aged athlete.

NDisNCin2010
01-06-2011, 10:47 AM
as long as the ND Vid dept that made that appalling god awful cheesy video this summer has nothing to do with the production in any way we should be fine here...

IrishFan123
01-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Anyone else find it interseting that Charlie Weis along with Will Muschamp are supposed to do an in home visit next week with him?

Synoptico
01-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Anyone else find it interseting that Charlie Weis along with Will Muschamp are supposed to do an in home visit next week with him?

Not sure why that is interesting. He is comitted to them and they are the final two along with ND.

Revolver
01-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Not sure why that is interesting. He is comitted to them and they are the final two along with ND.

It is interesting because Weis sure doesn't seem to be acting as if they will win their playoff game this weekend.

Synoptico
01-07-2011, 08:25 AM
It is interesting because Weis sure doesn't seem to be acting as if they will win their playoff game this weekend.

AHHHHH didn't think of it like that... Good call

zimmsbg78
01-12-2011, 11:07 AM
http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/isdblogs/smitty-blog/3959-recruiting-rumors-and-reminders

Now that the home stretch of the recruiting calendar is upon us, time for the latest information, as well as a few reminders about what goes on this time of year.

First off, a quick run down with what I have "heard" as of late. Keep in mind, this does not mean much, as recruiting is extremely fluid by nature.

Chase Hounshell -- Nothing new from my end. Just waiting like everyone else.

irishunclebill
01-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Another guy, like Bryce Haynes, who has moved up his decision date from NSD. Chase plans to make a choice now on Sunday or Monday. It could be he is moving it up because he is left with only one option now, or it could be that the Irish have told him he can't wait till NSD. Either way I guess we will find out in 2 or 3 days, that is if Berk is correct on his info this time.

http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=1039590&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fnotredame.scout.com%2f2% 2f1039590.html

Pressure Turns To Hounshell

By Dave Berk
Irish Eyes
Date: Jan 14, 2011

With Notre Dame earning a verbal pledge from Ishaq Williams and odds high that Aaron Lynch could be a pledge by the end of the weekend, Chase Hounshell knows the clock is ticking. Sunday and Monday are set to be the final days before he makes a college choice.

Domer Dog
01-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Another guy, like Bryce Haynes, who has moved up his decision date from NSD. Chase plans to make a choice now on Sunday or Monday. It could be he is moving it up because he is left with only one option now, or it could be that the Irish have told him he can't wait till NSD. Either way I guess we will find out in 2 or 3 days, that is if Berk is correct on his info this time.

http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=1039590&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fnotredame.scout.com%2f2% 2f1039590.html

This could be the best close to a recruiting season in recent years. I couldn't believe when I went online today and saw that Ishaq had committed. Insane!!! Chase moving his decision up from NSD can only be positive for ND, as I think he takes a place on the O-line.

The thing I really like is the defensive side of the recruiting this year really has the feel of a rough, tough, agressive team. Haven't felt that in a while.

ndfb
01-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Is he being recruited for OG or C? Or DE and move Springman to the OL?

irishunclebill
01-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Is he being recruited for OG or C? Or DE and move Springman to the OL?

Before the resurrection of Aaron Lynch, ND was recruiting Chase for the DL, if Lynch commits he would presumably be looking at the OL, which is what Florida was recruiting him as before their coaching change.

irishunclebill
01-15-2011, 05:41 PM
According to Chase, Muschamp and Verducci will visit him tomorrow, and Diaco and Elston will visit on Monday.

Both teams must still want him as UF is sending their Head Coach and for ND this will be the second in-home visit in two weeks. Kelly and Warriner visited him last week. UF also had a coach visit Chase last week as well.

Pretty heady stuff for a kid who is a low 3* on Rivals and not even ranked at the OT position they have him slotted at.

cliff
01-15-2011, 06:02 PM
IUB....why are we chasing this kid? Low 3* and saw his film...not overly impressive....thoughts?

brownkj002
01-15-2011, 06:06 PM
IUB....why are we chasing this kid? Low 3* and saw his film...not overly impressive....thoughts?

i would go with he is versitile, from ohio, and impressed them at camp this summer.

stew654
01-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Would much rather have troy signed up- could play either side and isn't bad mouthn nd

publicola
01-15-2011, 06:59 PM
i would go with he is versitile, from ohio, and impressed them at camp this summer.

I think this is the key -- they've seen him up close.

irishunclebill
01-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Would much rather have troy signed up- could play either side and isn't bad mouthn nd

So can Hounshell and FWIW Chase denies ever saying Notre Lame. I agree with you though that Niklas is a better prospect, but this is not a choice of A or B. If the Irish want both Hounshell (which they obviously seem to) and Niklas, and they can get both to commit, there is room in this class for both.

Win4Gipper
01-15-2011, 07:43 PM
I want him just to steal another guy committed to a Florida school... Again that's why I run a business up in North Dakota instead of coaching in South Bend

Jiggafini19
01-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Rivals' rankings are even more flawed than they used to be. They put a cap on the number of five star players and four star players in their ratings. Guarantee there are guys they haven't even laid their eyes on three minutes of You Tube highlights for.

I'm sure they'll slobber over whoever they saw in person in San Antonio last weekend, which is quite a small sample size compared to the amount of film coaches at the level of a Notre Dame and Florida are watching while evaluating players.

stew654
01-15-2011, 07:58 PM
So can Hounshell and FWIW Chase denies ever saying Notre Lame. I agree with you though that Niklas is a better prospect, but this is not a choice of A or B. If the Irish want both Hounshell (which they obviously seem to) and Niklas, and they can get both to commit, there is room in this class for both.

Yes chase can play both sides of the line but isn't he considered a better oline prospect, where as Troy has a good chance to be a top notch tackle or de. If the anti nd comment is not founded and there is room for both then take em and holdn out for savon or Amir. Side ques dont we have someone who can pick up long snapping, we already have cowhert on schollie.

Good day to be a nd fan, watched nd beat up on Miami again this morn wife came down and said really? Watch that again..? Lol

irishunclebill
01-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Yes chase can play both sides of the line but isn't he considered a better oline prospect, where as Troy has a good chance to be a top notch tackle or de. If the anti nd comment is not founded and there is room for both then take em and holdn out for savon or Amir. Side ques dont we have someone who can pick up long snapping, we already have cowhert on schollie.

The ND staff believes that Chase is a better DE prospect, while Meyer recruited him as an OT in their spread. Based on that I don't know whether he is a better OL or DL prospect. With Lynch on board ND might be looking at him now as a OL prospect, but since Diaco & Elston are the guys making the final pitch my guess is they still prefer him as a DE.

Jiggafini19
01-15-2011, 08:07 PM
I'd have to guess he'd be in line to join Tuitt on the depth chart at the DE spot that Ethan Johnson currently occupies.

KamaraPolice
01-16-2011, 12:46 PM
With all these DE's, any idea as to whether or not the coaching staff sees one of these guys growing into a nosetackle (Tuitt perhaps)?

stonebreakerwasgod
01-16-2011, 06:41 PM
chasehounshell (http://twitter.com/#!/chasehounshell) Chase Hounshell by SWiltfong247

Florida coaches just left. Muschamp and Verducci are first class. Just great people.

IrishCanuck
01-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Does anyone know when Chase plans on announcing his final commitment or how he is going to do it?

Blue 44
01-17-2011, 11:06 AM
http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1177391

irishunclebill
01-17-2011, 11:21 AM
http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1177391

Despite this article, I doubt if Verducci's one year experience as the OL coach at ND will have an effect on Hounshell's decision, especially since it was not a very successful stint for either Verducci or ND. Also I am sure Chase knows very well that as an OL he is much better suited for ND's offense than for UF's new offense. That is the primary reason he started to re-consider ND in the first place. I'm also sure that Diaco & Elston will be pointing this out to him again today, just as Warriner & Kelly most likely pointed that out to him last Wednesday.

Overall the tone of the GatorBait article leads me to think that they expect Chase to flip.

irishunclebill
01-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Does anyone know when Chase plans on announcing his final commitment or how he is going to do it?

Hounshell told the Scout guy Berk that he would be making a decision yesterday or today, he told the Rivals people that it will be sometime this week after he meets with Diaco & Elston, and he told the ISD people it will be this coming weekend. So the answer I guess is any of those three, although I would be surprised now if he announces today. It won't be too much longer though as he has obviously been told by both ND & UF that they need an answer relatively soon.

lowayne
01-17-2011, 11:38 AM
If the staff really wants this kid then I just agree. Its easy to second guess from here when my butt isn't on the line.

notredomer23
01-17-2011, 07:59 PM
committed per II. Not sure how I feel about this.

therizz
01-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Brian Kelly must have really wanted another lineman and wants to load up at the position and let the cream rise to the top. I didn't think ND was going to pursue him. He must be a great spread OL prospect.

stew654
01-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Looks like he is irish

Akron Irish
01-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Welcome aboard! Now disable ur twitter. Numa Numa

publicola
01-17-2011, 08:07 PM
committed per II. Not sure how I feel about this.

with the tuitt situation still unsettled and niklas a long shot (imo), this is a necessity. he, carrico, and springman all are good players and, more importantly, position flexible. this is is a good pickup.

IrishFan123
01-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Love the kids Kelly is going after just straight athletes that can play both sides of the ball...

ND from NE
01-17-2011, 08:15 PM
big man depth (+)
ohio recruit ... build relationship strength there (+)
took one from florida (+)
tuitt insurance (+)

all pluses .... welcome aboard ... it's gonna be a fun ride the next few years

Grady
01-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Welcome Chase!

Grady
01-17-2011, 08:25 PM
He's from east of Cleveland, so he understands lake effect snow.

adamsfamily03
01-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Looks like he is irish
I have not found an official interview or announcement on-line this evening. Where are you guys picking up your information? This is pretty damn exciting. Our lineman are going to be competing hard and we are going to have the "next guy in" approach for our high tempo, high energy, "wear them down quick" offense that Brian Kelly is implementing. Who cares which side of the ball he ends up? This would be a GREAT pickup for our beloved Irish!!!!!

IrishFan123
01-17-2011, 08:31 PM
I have not found an official interview or announcement on-line this evening. Where are you guys picking up your information? This is pretty damn exciting. Our lineman are going to be competing hard and we are going to have the "next guy in" approach for our high tempo, high energy, "wear them down quick" offense that Brian Kelly is implementing. Who cares which side of the ball he ends up? This would be a GREAT pickup for our beloved Irish!!!!!

How's this?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Chase-Hounshell-93890

hit refresh

adamsfamily03
01-17-2011, 08:34 PM
How's this?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/notredame/football/recruiting/player-Chase-Hounshell-93890

hit refresh
OK...OK. I am starting to believe. :) Since he was going to enroll early at Florida, does that mean he will be showing up in South Bend this week? That would make me feel better about him not flipping back to the Gators on NSD. Get him into classes THIS WEEK Brian Kelly. Don't let him escape. Not like BK needs direction from me on anything....:)

ND from NE
01-17-2011, 08:35 PM
will ND take 6 EE's? thought there was a cap at 5?

notredomer23
01-17-2011, 08:37 PM
with the tuitt situation still unsettled and niklas a long shot (imo), this is a necessity. he, carrico, and springman all are good players and, more importantly, position flexible. this is is a good pickup.

Oh I didnt mean anything at all about his skills. great player no doubt. I just remember him calling us Notre Lame.

adamsfamily03
01-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Oh I didnt mean anything at all about his skills. great player no doubt. I just remember him calling us Notre Lame.
We were trending that way for a while to be honest. We had more downs than ups and with uncertainty around this team mid-year, there were plenty of critics with valid points to be made about our program headed in the wrong direction. Does not matter now. The tide is turning slowly. Notre "Lame" is becoming the FIGHTING IRISH once again. Leaders will emerge. Pride will take over. The players will keep that chip on their shoulders. AND.....we will do it with class. Kids at this age change their minds and they say things for fun to get a response. I am glad he changed his mind.

GO IRISH!!!!!

IrishFan123
01-17-2011, 08:42 PM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1177691 (Freebie) has video

Hounshell takes the long road to ND
For Chase Hounshell, the fastest route from Point A to Point B isn't always a straight line, especially when the destination is the University of Notre Dame.

Before committing to Notre Dame on Monday, Hounshell originally committed to Florida in August and had planned to enroll in Gainesville for the spring semester. Urban Meyer's resignation as the Gators' head coach opened the door for Notre Dame to climb back into the recruiting picture with the 6-foot-6, 270-pound three-star defensive end.

The Irish capitalized on that opportunity.

Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco and defensive line coach Mike Elston visited Hounshell in his Kirtland, Ohio home and were content leaving the in-home visit with Hounshell's word that he'd visit over the weekend.

Moments before the Irish coaches walked out the door, Hounshell shared with them the news that he was ready to join the Irish recruiting class of 2011.

"I didn't know I was going to do it," Hounshell said of his commitment. "They came in today and we talked for two or three hours about me coming to Notre Dame and being a good fit there and how they could use me. I told them I'd visit this weekend and I'd give them an answer after that.

"They were OK with that and told me to take my time. As they were walking out the door I got a gut felling and said Notre Dame was the place I wanted to go for sure."

That was good news for the Irish coaches.

"I told them I was joining the Irish family and they started screaming," Hounshell said. "They picked me up and they all hugged me. They were very happy."

On Sunday, Florida head coach Will Muschamp and two assistant coaches, including new offensive line coach Frank Verducci, made an in-home visit with Hounshell.

Moments after committing to the Irish, Hounshell was on the phone with Muschamp.

"I called coach Muschamp the second after I committed," Hounshell said. "It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. Coach Muschamp is just a great coach and a great person and man. It broke my heart I had to tell him."

Hounshell said his family is very excited about his decision, even if it took a few extra months to become part of the Irish family.

"They are happy as ever and agree with me 100 percent. They think I chose the right option," he said. "I talked about it before with my family that if I would have got the offer that was the place I wanted to be. It's been a long journey but it all worked out for the best."

Hounshell ended his senior year at Lake Catholic High School with 75 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, nine sacks and 11 pass break-ups.

He was named Ohio's Division II Defensive Player of the Year, MVP of the North Coast League, first team all-Ohio, Ohio's Old Spice Player of the Year and he was selected to play in the Offense-Defense All-American Bowl.

This summer he'll play in Ohio's North-South All-Star Game and has been nominated to play in the Big 33 game, pitting Ohio's best players against Pennsylvania's all-stars.

Hounshell added that the Irish coaches want him to gain about 15 pounds to become a 285-pound run-stopping defensive end.

adamsfamily03
01-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Was that a self-imposed cap or mandated by the University? I honestly do not know although I know it has been brought up on this board before and the answer provided. I am sure IUB will list the specific post # where he provided us with that information. This board is full of experts and that is why I love coming on here day after day after day. Great info shared by people who truly love this program.

JMR8
01-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Hounshell added that the Irish coaches want him to gain about 15 pounds to become a 285-pound run-stopping defensive end.

So he is playing DE. Thought we offered him as an OT. Not bad...

publicola
01-17-2011, 08:48 PM

I don't think he's EE. He planned on it, but backed off.

Irishlaw
01-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Would be hard to EE with classes starting tommorow.

"He was named Ohio's Division II Defensive Player of the Year, MVP of the North Coast League, first team all-Ohio, Ohio's Old Spice Player of the Year and he was selected to play in the Offense-Defense All-American Bowl."

I like the sound of that

IrishinTN
01-17-2011, 09:08 PM
So he is playing DE. Thought we offered him as an OT. Not bad...

If he gets that big, and with his athleticism, could he gain 15 more and end up at DT?

irishman43
01-17-2011, 09:16 PM
add him to this picture.

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2011/01/17/five-recruits-set-to-begin-classes-tomorrow/

KamaraPolice
01-17-2011, 09:17 PM
"I told them I was joining the Irish family and they started screaming," Hounshell said. "They picked me up and they all hugged me. They were very happy."

HAHAHA. I wish there was a video . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OZ40fPvhjk

DirtySecret
01-17-2011, 09:18 PM
My least favorite player of this class.

NDGirlzRock
01-17-2011, 09:26 PM

Way to be positive there DS!!! I for one am extremely happy to see us getting big-time recruits on the D-line after years of struggle, with a few exceptions of course!!! (EJ, KLM to name a couple) Hell he could be the Zach Martin of this class!!! You never know!!!

DirtySecret
01-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Way to be positive there DS!!! I for one am extremely happy to see us getting big-time recruits on the D-line after years of struggle, with a few exceptions of course!!! (EJ, KLM to name a couple) Hell he could be the Zach Martin of this class!!! You never know!!!

Sorry, it has been pointed out he has character issues.. Notre Lame ring a bell! Great we got a player who'll probably end up on the Oline in a few years. I just find it odd you'll take shots at a college you commited to.

cliff
01-17-2011, 09:31 PM
How exciting...must admit I was real excited about him- however maybe he was hurt we did not offer himearlier. Welcome Chase....now lets kick some F******* A$$!

irishunclebill
01-17-2011, 09:31 PM

I know where you're coming from and there is no doubt that there are valid reasons for having that opinion, but there are two things that need to be considered now.

1) First and foremost he is now Irish, and it's time to close ranks.

2) The Irish staff pursued Chase as much as anybody in this class, so despite any misgivings about him that Irish fans might have, the coaches obviously think he is a great pickup for this class.

IrishinTN
01-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Sorry, it has been pointed out he has character issues.. Notre Lame ring a bell! Great we got a player who'll probably end up on the Oline in a few years. I just find it odd you'll take shots at a college you commited to.

I have said things in anger I later regretted. He obviously moved on and made the choice that was really at his heart. Kind of like a guy who gets spurned by a girl, calls her names and complains about her, yet when she does finally go out with him, he acts like it never happened.

cliff
01-17-2011, 09:36 PM
It just moved a little.

Dude you crack me up!!

DirtySecret
01-17-2011, 09:44 PM
I know where you're coming from and there is no doubt that there are valid reasons for having that opinion, but there are two things that need to be considered now.

1) First and foremost he is now Irish, and it's time to close ranks.

2) The Irish staff pursued Chase as much as anybody in this class, so despite any misgivings about him that Irish fans might have, the coaches obviously think he is a great pickup for this class.

Understandable. Nothing further I will say about it or bring up..

I have said things in anger I later regretted. He obviously moved on and made the choice that was really at his heart. Kind of like a guy who gets spurned by a girl, calls her names and complains about her, yet when she does finally go out with him, he acts like it never happened.

I understand your analogy. Some guys are like that, but I roll with the "there's other fish out in the sea" approach. No reason to give a women another chance to burn you.

ndfb
01-17-2011, 09:46 PM
With Chase signing, will this affect Tuitt coming to ND?

irishunclebill
01-17-2011, 09:50 PM

Not at all.

goldandblue
I wouldn't think so.

DirtySecret

Good (?).. Will it give Paul Johnson and staff fire power?

Win4Gipper
01-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Welcome aboard!!

stonebreakerwasgod
01-17-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty stoked.

It says FU to several ex-ND coaches down in Gator-land..and it gives us three wins over FSU, Florida, and PSU in 4 days. Not too shabby.

The depth at DL and OL are gonna be needed in two years. Stock up now while we can.

KamaraPolice
01-17-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm pretty stoked.

It says FU to several ex-ND coaches down in Gator-land..and it gives us three wins over FSU, Florida, and PSU in 4 days. Not too shabby.

The depth at DL and OL are gonna be needed in two years. Stock up now while we can.

this.

+1

irish_bobcat
01-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Love that we are getting depth on both lines with this recruiting class.

IrishCrasher
01-17-2011, 10:10 PM
It just keeps getting better! Welcome Chase. I hope the seniors set him straight for the twitter comments. But I'll take him.

Go Irish!

Purebred Irishman
01-18-2011, 04:57 AM
Welcome to ND Chase.. This is another D-lineman that BK really wanted and after the last few years of having D-linemen mess us about, this years recuiting class is a real breath of fresh air

IrishFan123
01-20-2011, 05:52 PM
http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20110120/SPORTS13/101200391/1021/XML

Notre Dame football: Hounshell always had eyes on Irish
By JIM MEENAN
Tribune Staff Writer

Chase Hounshell strongly considered Notre Dame last summer when he went to football camp there.

But the Irish coaching staff could not pull the trigger on an offer for the Notre Dame fan.

"I was hoping for an offer, but I understood," said the product of Kirtland, Ohio, near Cleveland. "What happened was they already offered some other kids and they wanted to get their answers before they decided giving other people scholarships.

"I agreed with them, and we kind of parted our ways a little bit."

By August, Hounshell opted for Florida at the behest of Gators coach Urban Meyer.

But when Meyer resigned in December, that changed everything, said Hounshell, who was recruited by the Gators to play the offensive line.

When a coach leaves, Hounshell said, "it's a whole (different) football program, too.

"It definitely shocked the world. It was a big surprise to the people that were affected by it. It was a huge surprise."

Meyer tried to tell him things would not change that much.

"I went down there for a visit a week after he resigned," Hounshell said. "I went to his house to eat dinner with the other commits. He just said he is still going to be around, be in the weight room. He is still going to be on the practice field. He's just not going to have a big role."

When Notre Dame called again, Hounshell decided to listen.

A visit from Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly in early January really put the Irish back in the thick of things.

"When coach Kelly came to my house and basically told me I was a perfect fit for Notre Dame, I kind of realized I was," Hounshell said.

No commitment was made at that time, however.

The 6-foot-6, 265-pound two-way lineman who had 60 tackles — 13 for a loss — 11 sacks and 12 pass break-ups, was still listening to both the Irish and the Gators.

He liked new Florida coach Will Muschamp, liked him a lot. And Muschamp, along with Florida assistant Frank Verducci even visited his home Sunday.

So when Irish defensive line/special teams coach Mike Elston and defensive coordinator Bob Diaco visited Hounshell's home on Monday, "I really had no intention of committing then," Hounshell said. "I told them I will be in this weekend and I will give you an answer this weekend."

Hounshell is still coming for an official visit Friday. But before the Irish coaches could leave, Hounshell called an audible.

"I had this gut feeling as they were about to leave," he said. "I have always been comfortable with Notre Dame, along with the coaches, the players, just everything about Notre Dame.

"I said, 'Why wait?' and I went with my gut feeling, and I committed."

Hounshell is now one of 22 players in the Irish recruiting class of 2011.

With some time to think about it, Hounshell said he feels even better about his decision.

"It all makes sense," he said Tuesday night. "Notre Dame is the place I want to be."

And which side of the ball the two-year starter on Mentor Lake Catholic's defensive line and three-year starter on its offensive line ends up on is not that big of a deal to him.

"It really doesn't matter," he said. "I am going to be coming in. They have a great plan for me. If they change, I don't have a problem switching to offense.

"It's sort of whatever the team wants, whatever is going to help me get on the field and help contribute."

Right now, the Notre Dame coaches have him ticketed for defense where Hounshell describes himself as "pretty strong."

"I can definitely hold up an offensive tackle," he said. "I am good at run stopping and I am good at getting to the backfield and creating havoc."

Muschamp, Florida's new coach, impressed Hounshell it appears about as much as Meyer, but in the end ND won out for the Irish man and Irish fan.

"I am Irish," Hounshell said. "I come from a Catholic school. I was high on Notre Dame.

"I turned (Muschamp) down because I feel in the long run Notre Dame is going to be the best for me and my future."

IrishCrasher
02-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Congrats Chase welcome to the ND Family!

irishdan123084
03-10-2011, 10:47 PM
I have never been so upset and disappointed with a comment from an incoming freshman than what chase tweeted this evening. tonight, during the miami heat vs. los angeles lakers game, on twitter he posted: "El heat? This is america. #loveitorleaveit". what an ignorant, immature, sheltered, 18 year old boy. As a die hard heat fan...fine...whatever...he's bitter and pissed off that lebron would rather play with us...i understand that, but as a Cuban-American, i found his post racist and totally uncalled for. it's comments like that, that wish he didn't choose to come to ND, i don't care how talented he is at football. ND is one of the most diversified schools in the country and when i was there I met people from all over the world, from different backgrounds and cultures. if this kid is not willing to accept those cultures and just think that everyone who wasn't born in America or doesn't speak only English isn't American, then he is in for a very rude awakening when he gets to South Bend this summer. This kid better grow up very quickly and think before he tweets. Go Irish!

Revolver
03-10-2011, 11:02 PM
I have never been so upset and disappointed with a comment from an incoming freshman than what chase tweeted this evening. tonight, during the miami heat vs. los angeles lakers game, on twitter he posted: "El heat? This is america. #loveitorleaveit". what an ignorant, immature, sheltered, 18 year old boy. As a die hard heat fan...fine...whatever...he's bitter and pissed off that lebron would rather play with us...i understand that, but as a Cuban-American, i found his post racist and totally uncalled for. it's comments like that, that wish he didn't choose to come to ND, i don't care how talented he is at football. ND is one of the most diversified schools in the country and when i was there I met people from all over the world, from different backgrounds and cultures. if this kid is not willing to accept those cultures and just think that everyone who wasn't born in America or doesn't speak only English isn't American, then he is in for a very rude awakening when he gets to South Bend this summer. This kid better grow up very quickly and think before he tweets. Go Irish!

This is the United States. If you're offended that an american has the audacity to prefer things written in his native language, then maybe you need to be reminded of how incredibly fortunate you are to live in this country by spending a few months back in Cuba.

Desi Arnaz would not be proud Dan. Nor would Cheech and Chong.

Irishlaw
03-10-2011, 11:34 PM
this isnt Irish Envy or II, clean it up

irishdan123084
03-10-2011, 11:39 PM
This is the United States. If you're offended that an american has the audacity to prefer things written in his native language, then maybe you need to be reminded of how incredibly fortunate you are to live in this country by spending a few months back in Cuba.

Desi Arnaz would not be proud Dan. Nor would Cheech and Chong.

Never been to Cuba buddy. I was born here in the US just like you. So what were you saying?

lowayne
03-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Chase is a loose cannon on the Twitter. Oh well, a truly great school isn't marked by being a stepping stone for already groomed and prepared students. A great school turns out great graduates regardless of how they come in.

As far as racism goes, I would argue that there are social and economic benefits to emigrants being fluent in their chosen country of destination as well as that country. ND is a great example. Your level of success will be greatly hampered without having or gaining a strong command of English

SouthernIrish
03-11-2011, 07:22 AM
I don't see what the big deal is or why you are soooo upset Dan. This country is not the United Nations. This is the United States of America. We speak English and have our own culture/traditions and is it hardly demanding to expect people who live here to speak English. Miami is a city with a proud and well appreciated Spanish heritage not a Spanish city. I'm pretty hardcore conservative but I don't know why "El Heat" elicted a "love it or leave" comment from Chase but put it into context. He is 18yr old kid (yes, kid. he may be the size of a man but he is not) who lives in middle America and Twitter exposes every impluse/thought you have. You and other Spanish Americans are proud right? so why can't we be proud in our own home? you don't walk into someone else's house, eat their food, take advantage of their nice big screen TV and then complain about something. This is totally not a big deal either way.

orange34
03-11-2011, 08:23 AM
The kid is 18 years old... Let's relax!!! I said some really dumb stuff back when I was that age too. The kid just needs to grow up a little.

step30044
03-11-2011, 08:58 AM
The kid is 18 years old... Let's relax!!! I said some really dumb stuff back when I was that age too. The kid just needs to grow up a little.

I think the difference here is Twitter..we all have said things that we didn't mean or regretted later. This is a new day and putting a message out on Twitter is not like speaking to a group of friends who know you well enough to realize your true intent.

He will learn to be careful of what he says in a public forum, he probably already regrets this.

Revolver
03-11-2011, 09:20 AM
We should have just annexed Cuba, like we did Florida, Puerto Rico, Guam and Hawaii.

IrishinTN
03-11-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm not sure why is so wrong to voice that opinion. It is a very common opinion by many citizens of the United States, including citizens of Hispanic descent. Not sure why it is racist to expect American to speak English.

irishdan123084
03-11-2011, 09:32 AM
We should have just annexed Cuba, like we did Florida, Puerto Rico, Guam and Hawaii.

This forum has nothing to do with Cuba or politics. I was just simply expressing how an 18 year kid with some-thousand followers needs to be aware of what his posts and can't be a loose cannon. How many times a day do we see celebrities and/or athletes have to do public apologies for posting something inappropriate. I don't know about you but I don't want to see that happen to any ND athlete and/or alumni.

SouthernIrish
03-11-2011, 10:45 AM
no that isn't exactly what you did. You called him a racist/immature/ignorant/sheltered 18yr. Expectations are different when you watch a NBA game vs attend a university.

sreepointer
03-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Never been to Cuba buddy. I was born here in the US just like you. So what were you saying?

If you were born in America, you are American! You are not Cuban-American, you are American. Perhaps you are an American of Cuban decent, but c'mon. My family is from Germany, but I was born in America, so I don't say I am German-American.

Nothing personal against you Dan, I just get upset when I here anyone who was born in the US decribe themselves as anything-American. We live in the greatest country in the world and just being American should be good enough.

(Sorry, I will get off my soapbox, back to Chase)

NotreDameNate
03-11-2011, 01:03 PM
This forum has nothing to do with Cuba or politics. I was just simply expressing how an 18 year kid with some-thousand followers needs to be aware of what his posts and can't be a loose cannon. How many times a day do we see celebrities and/or athletes have to do public apologies for posting something inappropriate. I don't know about you but I don't want to see that happen to any ND athlete and/or alumni.

I could have said a whole lot worse than what Chase said. And I'm not an 18 year old, immature, sheltered boy. I do not have any problems with any other culture, but when it is a well known fact that the United States is a nation that speaks English then don't be offended when that is all you hear. I will never go to another to another country and expect them to talk in English to me, let alone demand it. Unfortunately America is trying to hard in this area. Example, my buddy just bought a new stove from GE online. When our Sears got it, everything about the stove was in Spanish first, then English in smaller print right underneath. No joke! I would say that was the straw that broke the camels back, but my back has already been broken well before then. If you have a problem with Chase on twitter, then it is simple, stop following him.

pegorms7
03-11-2011, 01:17 PM
I happen to agree with Chase on this matter. Living in So. Cal. I see it everyday and I am sick and tired of it. What is taking so long to make English the official language of the USA? Please no more press 1 for english.

wernd50
03-11-2011, 03:23 PM
If you were born in America, you are American! You are not Cuban-American, you are American. Perhaps you are an American of Cuban decent, but c'mon. My family is from Germany, but I was born in America, so I don't say I am German-American.

Nothing personal against you Dan, I just get upset when I here anyone who was born in the US decribe themselves as anything-American. We live in the greatest country in the world and just being American should be good enough.

(Sorry, I will get off my soapbox, back to Chase)

I agree. America is a melting pot. If you are white than you are an american. If you are black you are an african-american? I don't think so. This is my biggest pet peeve. Is it not complete discrimination to call someone born in america something other than american?

JTLA
03-11-2011, 05:10 PM
I can't believe I'm contributing to this retarded argument. And No, I don't think there is anything wrong with using the word retard.

I think El Heat jersey's look retarded. And I'm sick of pressing 1 for English. And I think Chase should be able to say whatever the heck he wants on his tweets and in his hallways.

That being said, Erin Go Bragh!!! Go Irish!!! Happy St. Paty's Day!!!

Isn't there some sort of double standard we are all guilty of here?

notredomer23
03-11-2011, 05:36 PM
America, Damn it!

notredomer23
03-11-2011, 05:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS-FoXbjVI

Akron Irish
03-11-2011, 06:32 PM
What a waste of 3 pages.

stonebreakerwasgod
03-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Speak English. It will serve those who live here ten-fold.

(singing now)

Americaaaa, Americaaaaa, God shed His grace on theee....

Domer Dog
03-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Just saw this thread's action. I find it funny. Chase stated what he felt, and I don't see anything wrong with it. Dan, you may be upset, but living in Miami also may have twisted your view. This country is a melting pot, but when other immigrants came to this country they learned the language, but maintained many parts of their heritage. They assimilated to the country, and didn't force the country to assimilate to them. My wife is Cuban, born in Cuba, but when she came here she, and her parents, had to learn the language because she moved up north. Many of her older relatives barely speak the language after being here for 30 years. I find it funny that when I go to downtown Miami, there are more signs in Spanish and Portugese than in English. As mad as his comments may make you, I think most of the country looks at Miami as a different country.

stonebreakerwasgod
03-12-2011, 02:50 PM
The only part I don't like is that many of them came here illegally. Essentially pulling a Tressell. :)
Follow the rules, and come in the right way.

Synoptico
06-21-2011, 02:44 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/327293115.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1308686380&Signature=rrMUEppGlwHkl45d18GOpdt%2FJxg%3D

DublinIrish
06-21-2011, 02:59 PM
was his high school number so yeah good for him :))
Excited to see what the other frosh numbers are

Purebred Irishman
10-10-2011, 04:26 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=teamreports-2011-ncaaf-nnx

Freshman DE Chase Hounshell took off the redshirt and played for the first time. “We needed a physical presence,” coach Brian Kelly said. “Chase is a big, physical, strong player. So we practiced Chase all week and really liked the way he practiced and felt like he could go in there and help us.” Sunday, Kelly said, “Hounshell played 38 plays for us and played very, very well in his first college appearance. He is going to play this year for us. He showed that he’s a football player. So we were really excited about watching the film this morning about his play.”

NDgrandson
10-11-2011, 02:18 AM
Was Cwynar kind of hurt? Cwynar got in late at least, but Chase seemed to jump alot of guys... Cwynar and Kona to name a couple... even Hafis. ???

Maybe this was a smaller quicker attack so Chase on the 4 man D line and Slaughter at the OLB was a look they thought was right vs Air Force?

lowayne
10-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Was Cwynar kind of hurt? Cwynar got in late at least, but Chase seemed to jump alot of guys... Cwynar and Kona to name a couple... even Hafis. ???

Maybe this was a smaller quicker attack so Chase on the 4 man D line and Slaughter at the OLB was a look they thought was right vs Air Force?

Makes some sense but who knows. Maybe Kelly is trying to see if he doesn't need to save schollies for those guys?

IrishFan123
10-31-2011, 08:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5eQjRzfIkw

NDIRISH44
11-01-2011, 04:27 AM
I'm really glad he chose ND.

lowayne
11-01-2011, 09:31 AM
He looked injured in the last game, nothing serious?

DublinIrish
11-01-2011, 09:51 AM
He looked injured in the last game, nothing serious?

wont miss any practices

SouthernIrish
06-25-2012, 09:23 AM
any truth to the rumor that he is out for season after tearing his labrum in a fight with someone else on team?

marv81s
06-25-2012, 09:30 AM
he tweeted that this wasn't true, so take that for what it is worth

stonebreakerwasgod
09-02-2012, 11:22 AM
What's the deal with this kid.

irishunclebill
09-19-2012, 12:37 PM
What's the deal with this kid.

Finally a little bit of an explanation as to what is up with Chase who has not played in the first 3 games after getting a lot of PT as a True Freshman in 2011. From the ISD BK Notebook story of 9/18/12.

"Another defensive end, Chase Hounshell, did not make the trip to East Lansing on Saturday. Kelly says he has a little bit of a shoulder issue, but he will get reps this week and should play against Michigan."

So maybe there was some truth to the rumor that SI posted above in June.

any truth to the rumor that he is out for season after tearing his labrum in a fight with someone else on team?

jbrown_9999
10-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Per ISD summary of Kelly's presser, out for season:

“Chase is gonna get surgery this week,” Kelly said. “We’re gonna shut him down for the year.”
Hounshell will have the procedure done on his shoulder.

LOVEMYIRISH
10-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Two torn labrums in a year??? WTF??????

irishunclebill
11-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Chase, in response to the news that RU & MD are expected to join the B1G.

Chase Hounshell ‏@chasehounshell

At this rate, next year my high school will join the big 10.

HoffVir
11-19-2012, 12:44 PM
lulz

IrishDodger
03-25-2013, 04:03 PM
This kid is unluckier than Carlisle...

Chase Hounshell and Amir Carlisle suffer injuries

Tough injury news to report out of spring practice. The Irish look to have suffered two injuries after Saturday’s first practice in pads. Multiple sources tell me that defensive end Chase Hounshell has suffered another shoulder injury. One source indicates that it’s another torn labrum for Hounshell, a really tough break for the rising junior defensive end, who came into spring in great shape.

Reading the tea leaves a bit, Hounshell tweeted last night, “I’ve worked too hard to come within arm’s reach of the prize only to have my hand cut off just before I seize it.” That could mean anything obviously, but after two shoulder injuries, including one that cost Hounshell last season, a labrum tear would be a major set back.

Speaking of injury set backs, it appears running back Amir Carlisle had one as well, with a broken collarbone the result of a Saturday collision. That’s another tough break for the diminutive running back, who Brian Kelly openly complimented after the weekend’s practice and will likely play a big role in the ’13 offensive attack.

Carlisle, who sat out last season after struggling to come back from an ankle injury, also battled injuries during his one season at USC. He’ll have to jump one more injury hurdle before seeing the field for the Irish. A collarbone will likely take Carlisle out for the rest of spring, but he’ll have plenty of time to heal before summer camp opens up. Irish Illustrated also reported Carlisle’s collarbone injury on their premium messageboard.

Brian Kelly didn’t meet with the media after practice today, and isn’t scheduled to address the media until after Easter. But when he does, he’ll likely lay out a time table for both injuries.

HoffVir
03-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Dan Murphy ‏@BGI_DanMurphy
Hounshell is out for the entire 2013 season. #NotreDame
10:16 AM - 27 Mar 13

eric_navy
03-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Dan Murphy ‏@BGI_DanMurphy
Hounshell is out for the entire 2013 season. #NotreDame
10:16 AM - 27 Mar 13

Snakebit.

BigIrish
03-27-2013, 12:39 PM
I'll be shocked if he doesn't wind up on a medical hardship. By next year, it'll have been three years since he's played competitive football.

JDriveSthND
10-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Per BK presser yesterday, Hounshell is in pads and doing drill work, although Kelly stressed he doesn't anticipate using him this year. I'm shocked by the speed of the recovery here. He was supposed to be out the entire 2013 season and while he probably won't play, it sounds like he could with 4 games left on the schedule - very fast.

Initially, I agreed with BIGIRISH, thinking that he would be a sure medical hardship, but with he prospect of Tuitt, Nix, Schwenke, and Stockton all gone from the DL next year, maybe not. Guess we'll see.

HoffVir
11-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Irish Sports Daily ‏@ISDUpdate (https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/664598030490972160)
TE Chase Hounshell says he will have a 6th year of eligibility.
7:18 PM - 11 Nov 2015

polishdomer
11-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Pass...

IrishCalves
11-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Seeing as we don't have a tight end in this year's class so far, I'd be fine if there's space for him. Key word being if.

As far as 5th/6th year players wanting in, he's probably standing in line behind Sebastian.