PDA

View Full Version : Bears trade Jones, 63rd pick to Jets for 37th pick

Svoboda
03-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Per Michael Smith at ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788962). I'm torn on this.

On one hand, Jones was an absolute rock this season and pretty much the only offensive player that showed up in the Super Bowl. On the second hand, we invested a top pick on Benson so it's time to give him more carries or move him. The one thing Jones had that Benson doesn't is the hands out of the backfield, so either AP will step in and be a third down guy or we'll go out and get one.

Bears Send:
RB Thomas Jones ($2.25m base salary, various incentives)
2nd Round Pick (63rd Overall)

Bears Receive:
2nd Round Pick (37th Overall)

So if you want to look at this logically, the Bears jumped 26 spots up in the 2nd round and eliminated at least $2.25m off the books. Could they have done this to open up more money for Lance Briggs or to make a run at another S/DB or do they really covet some players in the early 2nd round of the draft?

All that said, I'm still torn because Thomas has been a work horse for us. Ced, you better lace them cleats up real tight because I need to see 1,000 yards outta you.

brownkj002
03-06-2007, 08:37 AM
I am surprised that they didn't get a little more value out of him. I am not saying that the Bears should have received a 1st rounder for him. Maybe trading TJ and a 3rd rounder for the 37 pick would make a little more since to me.

xfactor9600
03-06-2007, 09:18 AM
So the Bears are now officially "all in" with Cedric Benson. I question the pick they had to throw in to get him, as I believe the Jets were interested in obtaining Jones long before Jones decided he wanted out. If I remember correctly both the Colts and Jets were interested in TJ before the start of last season.

Svoboda
03-07-2007, 12:28 AM
The trade become official today. Man, I really wish we could have snuck another pick from the Jets, even if it was a 6th/7th rounder.