PDA

View Full Version : Your top 5 ND HC's of all time

wicket
12-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Since we have a new HC it would be nice to think back of who did his job the best, therefore a quite simple task, rank your top 5 ND coaches of all time (4 would be to easy ;) )
For me:
1 Ara Parseghian
2 Knute Rockne
3 Frank Leahy
4 Lou Holtz
5 Terry Brennan ( I know it wont be a popular choice but he got ND a good time at a time where it was tough to do well, he didnt have a pretty situation to come into and he got ND playing pretty good)

eric_navy
12-13-2009, 11:13 AM
1. Rockne - because he is the man who made ND football "ND football"

2. Leahy - hard to argue with 4 championships in 11 years

3. Ara - hurts to put him this low, but couldn't justify putting him ahead of Rockne or Leahy. Won tons of games and brought ND back from the dead.

4. Lou - brought ND back from mediocrity and won a ton of games. Wanted to be the "luckiest coach to win 3 championships, but instead became the unluckiest man to lose 3 championships" ('89, '90, '93). ND was only 8 years removed from a championship when he took over, which is not nearly as bad as the current drought. If Brian Kelly wins a championship at ND, he may take over this spot.

5. Tie
5a. Dan Devine - only coached at ND for 6 years, but won a championship in '77 and had a great record. Coached Joe Montana in the chicken soup game. Doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves, especially after the terrible way he was (mis)portrayed in Rudy.
5b. Jesse Harper - 34-5-1 in the 5 seasons before Rockne was hired. Coached the Irish to a 35-13 win against Army in 1913, the game that put ND football on the map.

It's hard to justify putting other people on the list, except maybe Elmer Layden. In addition to being one of the Four Horsemen, he was .770 in 7 seasons as coach at ND, including 8-1 in 1938. Terry Brennan was in an impossible situation, following one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game, and he had a pretty good record (his 32-18 is better than the other coaches ND has fired), but his teams declined steadily in quality. In 5 years, his records were 9-1, 8-2, 2-8, 7-3, 6-4.

Irish#1
12-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Since we have a new HC it would be nice to think back of who did his job the best, therefore a quite simple task, rank your top 5 ND coaches of all time (4 would be to easy ;) )
For me:
1 Ara Parseghian
2 Knute Rockne
3 Frank Leahy
4 Lou Holtz
5 Terry Brennan ( I know it wont be a popular choice but he got ND a good time at a time where it was tough to do well, he didnt have a pretty situation to come into and he got ND playing pretty good)

Add Devine to my Avatar and you've got my picks.

IrishR#1
12-13-2009, 05:12 PM
1. Rockne
2. Parseghian
3. Leahy
4. Holtz
5. Devine

notredomer23
12-13-2009, 07:29 PM
1. Kelly

(sarcasm of course)

Win4Gipper
12-14-2009, 12:13 AM
1. Rock
2. Lou
3. Ara
4. Leahy
5. Charlie.... bring on the haters!!!

notredomer23
12-14-2009, 06:34 AM
1. Rock
2. Lou
3. Ara
4. Leahy
5. Charlie.... bring on the haters!!!

how can you put Charlie, before Devine, Willingham, or Davie? They all had better winning percentages than him

irishfan4life
12-14-2009, 08:03 AM
1. Rockne
2. Leahy
3. Ara
4. Holtz
5. Devine

IMO you have to win championshipsin order to be great, and these are the only coaches to do it. BTW, why hasn't someone come forth with the $$$ for a statue of Devine? I know he wasn't popular, but the man did win a title.

Irish#1
12-14-2009, 08:48 AM
1. Rockne
2. Leahy
3. Ara
4. Holtz
5. Devine

IMO you have to win championshipsin order to be great, and these are the only coaches to do it. BTW, why hasn't someone come forth with the $$$ for a statue of Devine? I know he wasn't popular, but the man did win a title.

Good question. I think there will eventually be one.

Win4Gipper
12-14-2009, 09:02 AM
how can you put Charlie, before Devine, Willingham, or Davie? They all had better winning percentages than him

Because Charlie loved and gave everything for ND... His winning percentage would have been higher if Ty golfed less... Winning percentage is important but I think Charlie is a class act and I just wish this would have been his second HC position and not his first

eric_navy
12-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Because Charlie loved and gave everything for ND... His winning percentage would have been higher if Ty golfed less... Winning percentage is important but I think Charlie is a class act and I just wish this would have been his second HC position and not his first

Charlie's winning percentage also would have been better if his players had learned how to block and tackle. Gerry Faust was also a great man who stood for all the right things. He had a better record than CW and played harder schedules. Dan Devine won over 75% of his games, including the 1977 national championship. Between him and Weis, no contest.

Win4Gipper
12-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Devine also took over a strong program and kept the ship going.... Charlie took over a mess.... My picking charlie was not a rip on Devine just respect the guy for doing things right and getting some foundation work done that needed to be done to get us back in the right direction...

irishfan4life
12-14-2009, 10:43 AM
I think CW will be remembered fondly as a true ND man who loved ND and gave his heart, sould & health to the university. It just didn't translate into wins on the field. I have a tremendous amount of respect for CW and what he stands for. I'm sad that it didn't work out for him. Now Ty-Willy on the other hand...don't get me started!

KAIrishcopper
05-22-2012, 10:40 PM
1.) The Rock
2.) Ara
3.) Lou
4.) Devine
5.) Leahy

IrishDodger
06-05-2012, 09:58 AM
I think the top 5 for most will include the same names but in different order based on opinion.

1. Rockne
2. Leahy
3. Parseghian
4. Holtz
5. Devine

All five are in the CFB HOF for coaching...I'm assuming Holtz is in by now.

TexasDomer
06-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Rockne
Leahy
Parseghian
Holtz
Harper (His willingness to embrace the forward pass led to the 1913 upset of Army that put Notre Dame, and Rockne, on the football map)