PDA

View Full Version : '08 CT OC Mike Golic (2/19/07 Notre Dame LOI)

Svoboda
03-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Offensive Center
Northwest Catholic (West Hartford, CT)

Ht: 6-foot-5
Wt: 260 lbs
Forty: 5.1 secs
Bench max: 315 pounds
Squat max: 425 pounds

Links of Interest: Rivals Profile (http://www.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=57210) | Scout Profile (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=8&c=1&nid=2955558)

Svoboda
03-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Reserved for photos.

IrishCalves
07-26-2007, 01:41 AM
I've gotta ask. When he was first brought in, everyone said he'd be a center.

Then Braxston Cave rolled around, and I've heard Golic mentioned at every single OL position since. Scout lists him as an offensive guard - after originally listing him at tackle if memory serves - and rivals has him still slated as a center prospect.

So I have to ask: do we know where are Cave and Golic are slated to play now? Any quotes after the Cave commitment - from him or others - that suggest he has bumped Golic Jr. to a different position? My guess is being near 300 pounds, Cave would be best suited as a road grater at guard, with Golic's weight not being a huge deal at center. Just a guess though.

IrishKnight1023
07-26-2007, 02:20 AM
I've gotta ask. When he was first brought in, everyone said he'd be a center.

Then Braxston Cave rolled around, and I've heard Golic mentioned at every single OL position since. Scout lists him as an offensive guard - after originally listing him at tackle if memory serves - and rivals has him still slated as a center prospect.

So I have to ask: do we know where are Cave and Golic are slated to play now? Any quotes after the Cave commitment - from him or others - that suggest he has bumped Golic Jr. to a different position? My guess is being near 300 pounds, Cave would be best suited as a road grater at guard, with Golic's weight not being a huge deal at center. Just a guess though.

----Weis tells them both they'll be playing "Interior line" which basically is saying "I'll let you know when you come here." Cave is a little more ready physically than Golic. Golic is a project, but works his ass off and I just know he'll earn a starting spot before he graduates here.

scooper
07-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Yeah, what Knight said. During their teniors at ND, they will probably both line up at all three interior spots at some point. It's good to have this flexibility on the inside.

irishunclebill
08-07-2007, 12:48 AM
We were led to believe that one of the current ND commits would pick up a Rivals star in the new rankings. However, none of the 4 stars picked up a 5th star, which means that if the information is correct, then one of the current Rivals 3 stars (Cave, Poz, Hafis, Newman, or Golic) will pick up a 4th star. Don't be surprised if it is Golic.

IrishKnight1023
08-07-2007, 12:52 AM
We were led to believe that one of the current ND commits would pick up a Rivals star in the new rankings. However, none of the 4 stars picked up a 5th star, which means that if the information is correct, then one of the current Rivals 3 stars (Cave, Poz, Hafis, Newman, or Golic) will pick up a 4th star. Don't be surprised if it is Golic.

---I accually would be. He's the last one of those with 3 stars I'd expect to get a 4th star before his Sr. year. When is this supposed to happen? I also noticed they need to update their position rankings because they still have Omar behind Scott Vallone who is still a 5.8.

irishunclebill
08-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Position rankings and all RR ratings will be completely updated when the rest of the Rivals 250 is published sometime later this week.

IrishKnight1023
08-07-2007, 12:57 AM
How often are they going to keep changing ratings and rankings? I hope not too much because it makes it a little hard to beleive who is for real and not.

irishunclebill
08-07-2007, 01:03 AM
You won't see too many changes between now and the end of the HS football season, then there will be another complete revision. Rivals does not change as much as Scout or ESPN but they will change it again after the January all-star games. That last list is usually their most biased list, but they usually stick with it from the middle of January to NSD. Scout changes almost every week in January, and ESPN changes almost every day in January.

irishunclebill
09-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Golic & Northwest Catholic open the season at home this Friday night at 7 P.M. against one of their tougher opponents for the year, New London (CT) HS. I'm going to try to catch this game, but if I can't make it I am sure Sureal will be there, that is if NWC let's a Conard alum through the gates.;)

RichardRiot
11-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Mike Golic has been selected to the Army AA game.
http://notredame.scout.com/2/704247.html

This brings the total number of recruits playing in that game to 13:

Mike Golic, Dayne Crist, Anthony McDonald, Ethan Johnson, Michael Floyd, Jonas Gray, Robert Blanton, Sean Cwynar, John Goodman, Steve Filer, Darius Fleming, Brandon Newman and Kyle Rudolph

Also, Braxston Cave, Omar Hunter, and Jamoris Slaughter are playing in the ESPN game

That's a total of 16 of 21 guys playing in one of these games; and there is a good chance that either/both of Dan McCarthy and Lane Clelland could be added at some point.

WHAT A CLASS!!!!!!

Fishin'_Irish
11-22-2007, 01:45 AM
That's a total of 16 of 21 guys playing in one of these games; and there is a good chance that either/both of Dan McCarthy and Lane Clelland could be added at some point.

I'm don't think he'll be able to play with his injury, but I guess he could still get put on a team.

RichardRiot
11-22-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm don't think he'll be able to play with his injury, but I guess he could still get put on a team.

Yeah, kind of like Armando last year......

irishunclebill
11-28-2007, 12:30 AM
The Golic boys and NWC recovered quite nicely from two early season losses to finish the regular season at 8-2, and qualify as the #4 seed in the CT Class S playoffs. Unfortunately, their semi-final opponent in the playoffs will be the top ranked program in CT, Ansonia HS, which features the leading High School rusher (in yards gained) in the entire country. An NWC win here would be a major upset.

Ibleedblueandgold
11-28-2007, 06:46 AM
They lost 25-7 according to Golic Sr. Heard it today on Mike's radio show

Fishin'_Irish
02-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Will send in his LOI on his dad's radio show tomorrow, a little after 7 AM.

irishunclebill
02-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Will send in his LOI on his dad's radio show tomorrow, a little after 7 AM.

That show is on ESPN2 if anyone wants to catch it on the boob tube. Wake up little kittys.

MirageSmack
02-14-2008, 03:43 PM
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-signingday0205.artfeb05,0,7421956.story

Story about Golic and a teammate.

Flyin_Irish
02-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Cool story. But what's up with the pink tie, Mike Jr.? Yeesh.

IrishGrizz
02-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Only manly men can pull that off. :p

IrishKnight1023
02-14-2008, 06:48 PM
People my age have tried to make pink in. I am in fact not one of them. Pink is for girls and guys that wear pink I look at like douchebags. Golic gets a pass though.

NDgrandson
02-15-2008, 12:11 AM
I will say that I wore a light pink shirt with a white and pink striped tie today and the ladies loved it. A couple guys I talked to today said they should have worn their pink shirt today. With a nice grey suit, it is pulled off easily and I've been wearing pink every now and then for years. Once you take the plunge, you'll be glad you did. Lots of attention from the ladies.

CU... you sporting pink?

Fishin'_Irish
02-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Does my brown and white polka dot tie go well with a pink shirt? I'm so confused...

Flyin_Irish
02-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Chicks probably like guys in pink shirts for the same reason they like gay guys. Because they're feminine. A dude should never be asking if his whatever-color tie goes with his pink shirt.

notredomer23
04-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Def at game, with dad and Jake

IrishFan123
01-27-2011, 09:26 AM
http://twitpic.com/3trtsp

Golic Dever and Snoop

stew654
01-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Snoop is a huge sc fan..or was. Maybe he is jumping on the nd bandwagon

lowayne
01-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Snoop is a huge sc fan..or was. Maybe he is jumping on the nd bandwagon

Snoop must be mad about being off the payroll.

southbend62
01-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Snoop must be mad about being off the payroll.

HA! That's pretty funny...

ACamp1900
01-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I loved it when he rocks his Celtic FC gear (which he does here and there)... but always have to remind myself he is Trojan fan too so... eh

but this... this is awesome... so many people to send this to.

notredomer23
01-30-2011, 07:51 AM
I loved it when he rocks his Celtic FC gear (which he does here and there)... but always have to remind myself he is Trojan fan too so... eh

but this... this is awesome... so many people to send this to.

we changed his alliance. he'll be on our sidelines rocking Floyd jerseys...jk about the sideline part

lowayne
01-30-2011, 10:24 AM
We should have sent this picture to Seantrell H's dad.

HoffVir
06-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Player Projection: Mike Golic, Jr.
Dan Murphy
5 hours ago

This article is a part of our 2012 Player Projections series. During the summer months Blue & Gold Illustrated will be evaluating each player on Notre Dame’s projected two-deep depth chart — reviewing their careers to this point and discussing expectations for the year to come.

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Player/910/6_290760.jpg

Mike Golic, Jr. — G/C
Height: 6-foot-3 Weight: 295
Experience: 27 appearances, 4 starts

Fifth-year senior Mike Golic, Jr. spent his spring battling to lock up a starting job at the right guard position for his final season. His experience from a year ago and a good winter in the weight room put him in the driver’s seat to be a regular starter in 2012.

Golic waited four long years to get his shot while swinging between center and guard on the offensive line. Last November, when center Braxston Cave went down in the first quarter at Wake Forest, Golic stepped in. He played well enough in the final four games of the season to earn an invite for his final year of eligibility. The time on the field in pressure situations against top defenses like Stanford and Florida State gave Golic a strong base to build on during the offseason.

“Getting to go against those caliber players in those game situations has really helped me tremendously,” he said. “I think now it’s kind of slowed down the game for me. I’m able to see things a little better and just communicate things to everybody else when I see them too.”

Golic made significant gains in his weight room numbers this spring, adding both strength and agility. He said he was most proud of reaching 29 inches in the vertical jump during team tests in March.

“That 29 inch vertical, I want everyone to remember that number. I’m a fully blown athlete now,” he said. “I’ve got to go over to the basketball court and see if I can put it down a little harder.”

For most of spring practice Golic filled in at center while Cave took a cautious road to recovery from foot surgery. He’ll be an important insurance policy in the middle of the line, but shouldn’t have to wait around for something to go wrong this season in order to get on the field.

2012 Role
The mixture of experience and increased strength should be enough to land Golic a starting job when Notre Dame starts its season in Dublin in September. The four games he started last season are enough to give him an edge over sophomore Nick Martin, who also competed for the starting guard job this spring.

The four years he spent getting used to college football before that provide a different type of experience that will add to three returning starters on the left side of the line and help ease the transition with a new position coach. Harry Hiestand, who joined the staff in January, is the fourth offensive line coach Golic and Cave have played for at Notre Dame.

Golic’s biggest asset, though, is his versatility. His ability to play at center might end up being crucial if Cave isn’t as healthy as expected for his final season as well. Other than the two fifth-year seniors, Notre Dame’s options at center are sophomore Matt Hegarty, who converted from guard last year, and junior Bruce Heggie, who started his career with the Irish as a defensive lineman.

While Golic will need to devote most of his time this fall to getting ready at the guard position, one important part of his job is making sure he’s ready to be the team’s utility man on the interior offensive line.

What’s a Good Season?
Hiestand said this spring that his guards need to have the ability to put a defender on his heels right at the snap of the ball.

“The inside guy has to be able to create movement for us. When they hit a defensive lineman they have to have that powerful quick explosive movement. They create momentum in the front. That’s what we’re looking for from the inside guys,” he said.

At 295 pounds, Golic is on the lighter end of Notre Dame’s offensive linemen and hasn’t been known for his ability to overpower opponents to this point in his career. Proving that he can physically dominate most of the guys who line up across from him would lead to a successful final year in South Bend. It would also create plenty of cutback holes for a running game that will be pointed toward the left side of the line for most of 2012.

http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Fifth-year-senior-Mike-Golic-2012-season-projection-77792

irishunclebill
06-18-2012, 11:18 PM
On another Golic note there will also be a 3rd Golic at ND this fall as Mike and Jake's little sister heads to South Bend.

http://avon.patch.com/articles/avon-swimmer-sydney-golic-commits-to-notre-dame#c

Avon Swimmer Sydney Golic Commits to Notre Dame

Golic is a student at Northwest Catholic in West Hartford and swims for the West Hartford Aquatics Team.

By Jessie Sawyer
January 14, 2012

Avon resident Sydney Golic will join her two football-playing brothers, Mike Jr. and Jake at the University of Notre Dame next fall.

The Northwest Catholic senior will also join the Fighting Irish swim team, the catholic private school announced at a press conference Jan. 5.

Golic has been swimming competively since she was 6 and Rob Riccobbon has been coaching her since she was 7. She currently swims on the West Hartford Aquatic Team, specializing in the 100- and 200-meter backstroke; the 100 and 200 breaststroke; and 200 and 400 individual medley.

Since she was 10, she has often qualified for the CT Zones team, an all-star team that competes in regional meets. Golic has also won multiple state championships over the past four years.

Her swimming accolades also carry nationwide, after several qualifications for Junior Nationals and three finalist performances at national meets in Irvine, CA and Orlando, FL.

One of her 100-meter breast stroke times came close to Olympic-trial-qualifying.

At Northwest Catholic, she has been a member of the National Honor Society since she was a junior.

She is also an active volunteer at Foodshare in Bloomfield.

irishunclebill
08-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Jr. is now tipping the scales at 300, making ND's entire starting OL an all 300 lineup.

Jiggafini19
08-25-2012, 08:32 AM
He'd better bring his hard hat and lunch bucket for Purdue.

Purebred Irishman
08-31-2012, 05:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7lGfbGUcdM&feature=autoplay&list=UUAMR05qSc5mfhVx20fDyAoQ&playnext=2

stonebreakerwasgod
09-03-2012, 07:20 PM
The OL played well against Navy. Didn't hear any negatives about Golics play, so that was a positive.

njuneardave
09-03-2012, 10:18 PM
still think this guy is a liability on the line after watching him last year

stonebreakerwasgod
09-03-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm not holding my breath hoping he is great. Just don't fuck up too much.

HoffVir
09-03-2012, 11:08 PM
I was expecting Nick Martin to beat him out. He had plenty of time. If Mike Jr earned the spot, let him keep it until someone is better.

njuneardave
09-09-2012, 06:06 PM
still think this guy is a liability on the line after watching him last year

i think Golic might have actually gotten his hands on Short's jersey on one play yesterday. i'll have to go back and re-watch the game to confirm, though.

stonebreakerwasgod
09-09-2012, 06:31 PM
First play from scrimmage was a disaster. For those knuckleheads who want Rees back...give him more padding. Golic has to GO.

adamsfamily03
09-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Or he needs to improve drastically before the next couple of games or WE ARE IN SERIOUS TROUBLE!!!

First play from scrimmage was a disaster. For those knuckleheads who want Rees back...give him more padding. Golic has to GO.

SouthernIrish
09-10-2012, 09:50 AM
I couldn't believe what i saw on the very FIRST play. Mike Golic literally flying backward on his ASS. JC. someone might want to tell him the game started and apparently Purdue didn't realize they were supposed to roll over for ND. I hope he screws his head on for the MSU game or some might take it off.

NDAlumSon
09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Harry's got a lot of work to do with all the boys this week. Purdue surprised the hell out me and evidently the Irish OL by being dominant with two potential, at least, 1st or 2nd round draft picks on their front four. They made every single lineman, at one point or another, look silly.

Golic looked lost and scared, Cave got blasted, Watt got blasted, Zach got abused more than once.

njuneardave
09-10-2012, 01:48 PM
ND has a history of making opponents look like first round draft picks. gaston is looking at a late round draft pick... at best.

DiamDawg
09-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Good Luck Mr. Golic .. I know your working your arse off and doing the best U can with the talent u have ... Thanks for giving it your all and Good Luck this week and every week ..

NDAlumSon
09-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Good Luck Mr. Golic .. I know your working your arse off and doing the best U can with the talent u have ... Thanks for giving it your all and Good Luck this week and every week ..

Taking a few minutes off from Mike & Mike in the Morning, eh Mike Sr. ??

LOVEMYIRISH
09-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Harry's got a lot of work to do with all the boys this week. Purdue surprised the hell out me and evidently the Irish OL by being dominant with two potential, at least, 1st or 2nd round draft picks on their front four. They made every single lineman, at one point or another, look silly.

Golic looked lost and scared, Cave got blasted, Watt got blasted, Zach got abused more than once.

Was it some changes Harry made that caused this? I don't really remember this much of a breakdown last year...

NDAlumSon
09-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Harry has them "punching" or delivering a blow to defenders in pass rush situations.

1) You still have to keep your balance, use your technique and keep your feet under you.
2) Purdue had some studs weighing 330-350 rushing the pocket. That's giving away some pounds to the opposition.
3) It was their first game where they were dropping into pass protection a lot. They'll get better as they go along.
4) Michigan St. probably has just as good a DL as Purdue, so this is a big week for the OL to work on technique and communication.
5) If they're being overwhelmed by superior speed and/or talent, the onus is on Martin and Kelly to make the proper adjustments with play calling.

DiamDawg
09-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Taking a few minutes off from Mike & Mike in the Morning, eh Mike Sr. ??

naaaaa ... just behaving like a mature adult that isn't going to trash a kid who's out there bustin his butt and doing the best he can with the talent the good lord blessed him with ..

NDAlumSon
09-10-2012, 09:40 PM
naaaaa ... just behaving like a mature adult that isn't going to trash a kid who's out there bustin his butt and doing the best he can with the talent the good lord blessed him with ..Fair enough but I don't think anyone besmirched his good name or questioned his character. We do and will on this board question why someone didn't play well even if you think he did the best he can.

In fact, I'd bet you a BCS Bowl Championship that Mike Jr. himself would admit that he didn't play very well.

LOVEMYIRISH
09-10-2012, 09:53 PM
naaaaa ... just behaving like a mature adult that isn't going to trash a kid who's out there bustin his butt and doing the best he can with the talent the good lord blessed him with ..

If his backup were better, then the backup would be playing.

Sincerely,
Everett Golson

SouthernIrish
09-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Yeah guys. Come on. Lets never criticise anyoneor say anything bad. Were toooooo mature for that. Really mature.

If someone. Anyone gets their Ass handed to them like that you bet I'm going to voice my displeasure. I didn't see any posts get personal so I'm not sure what the problem is exactly. If you cant handle some adversity toughen up this is a mans game. Life is pretty tough too. Maybe some guys live in lala land but south bend isn't located there. I suppose HH doesn't criticize his players. He is just really reassuring cause they try sooooo hard. Probably just gives them all hugs. What a joke.

irishunclebill
09-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Yeah guys. Come on. Lets never criticise anyoneor say anything bad. Were toooooo mature for that. Really mature.

If someone. Anyone gets their Ass handed to them like that you bet I'm going to voice my displeasure. I didn't see any posts get personal so I'm not sure what the problem is exactly. If you cant handle some adversity toughen up this is a mans game. Life is pretty tough too. Maybe some guys live in lala land but south bend isn't located there. I suppose HH doesn't criticize his players. He is just really reassuring cause they try sooooo hard. Probably just gives them all hugs. What a joke.

In defense of Golic and what Dawg said I personally believe that Mike is truly busting his ass out there. I'm sure that he is doing the very best that he can every play. Unfortunately for him his very best even with herculean effort is not going to be good enough against elite DL. What Dawg is saying I believe is that we should not question Golic's effort. I'm not sure that anyone specifically did that but I do agree with the sentiment he expressed.

NDAlumSon
09-11-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure that anyone specifically did (question his effort)....
I am. No one did.

jerseyborn1971
09-11-2012, 03:28 PM
It's quite simple...Golic doesn't have any felonies on his record, of course he sucks.

Domer Dog
09-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Don't think he hasn't heard the criticism, and rightly so, he did get slapped around pretty good on Saturday. I think he'll have a good week of practice and come out with attitude looking to punk slap somebody on MSU. At least that's what I'm hoping. If not, then I agree he should be relegated to back-up because the ceiling will be much higher with one of the young guns getting more minutes.

stonebreakerwasgod
09-11-2012, 08:04 PM
He should not be playing. Lest garbage time erupts.

SouthernIrish
09-12-2012, 08:18 AM
a little OT but when does Tate come back? maybe Tate plays RT and Lombard plays RG? can't really be a lot worse.

IrishCalves
09-12-2012, 08:21 AM
a little OT but when does Tate come back? maybe Tate plays RT and Lombard plays RG? can't really be a lot worse.

We really have no clue what Nichols is, other than an injury waiting to happen. I see Nick Martin filling in at RT before him anyways, so I think the point is a little moot. If Lombard was the answer at RG, or we had an alternative at RT that wouldn't be a significant drop off from Lombard at RT in the first place, I imagine we'd see them there when they're ready, because both options are pretty low on experience.

IrishCalves
09-12-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm just not sure Golic Jr. has "it". It's his 5th year in the program, and he finally got above 300 lbs. Admittedly, he was playing C for most of that time, but even at that, the bulk of our our guys get to that area by year 3. I think he's got his head on straight and won't be a liability with dancing feet or stupid mistakes, but physically, I don't know that he'll ever be ready to hang with the big boys at RG.

irishunclebill
09-12-2012, 12:44 PM

The original plan was for Nick Martin to be the RG. That was changed when Nichols wents down and they felt they needed Nick to be the #2 ROT. I would assume that when Nichols is ready that they will go back to the original plan where he will be Lombard's backup and Nick will take over for Golic.

IrishCrasher
09-18-2012, 05:01 PM
http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091812aaa.html

Congrats Mike Golic Jr!

Domer Dog
09-18-2012, 06:53 PM
The original plan was for Nick Martin to be the RG. That was changed when Nichols wents down and they felt they needed Nick to be the #2 ROT. I would assume that when Nichols is ready that they will go back to the original plan where he will be Lombard's backup and Nick will take over for Golic.

Nichols injury has been lingering so long. Is it possible it is one of those injuries that just never heals and he ends up going the medical route as well?

ND from NE
09-18-2012, 06:55 PM
great job Mike ... RKG

domehead1
09-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Nice Mike!

Purebred Irishman
09-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Great to see this. Congrats Mike

DiamDawg
09-22-2012, 03:43 PM
what really upset me about this is U guys had to bring it to his player profile thread .. U couldn't slam the kid (and u did slam him way more than u critiqued his play .... as anyone with two eyes knows he didn't do his job .. and just like u I know he was more than likely the first too admit it .. ) ... in the game day thread or one of the threads devoted to the game in another forum ... u had to bring it here??? .. its not like its the off season and theres no where else to talk about it .. i know there was a gameday thread .. and my guess is there was at least a couple more threads about the game .. but i don't go to those forums much so i don't know about that ..

thats what really bothered me .. and the sole purpose of my post was that in the one in a gajilion chance he came here and saw that ... I wanted him to know that some of us know he works his arse off and is doing the best he can with his god given talents and we appreciatte his effort .... as IUB pointed out ... against the elite (and maybe sometimes even the not so elite) DL Mike just does not have the physical traits (strenght or agility .. he does not have the best feet) to deal with those guys .. theres just some DL that can dominate him ..... and Purdue had 2 of them ...

I am. No one did.

I guess we don't see eye to eye on this one either ... U said he looked LOST and SCARED .... thats a critique of OL play .... naaaaa .. to me thats questioning his brains and manhood ..... if u said he was lunging and losing his balance or he was getting overpowered by bull rushes .. thats a critique of OL play ... telling a kid in his mid 20's he looked lost and scared at something that he put so much time into .. ya .. good luck with that one .. if u ever meet him .. see what happens if the first words after hello are ... hey Mike ... u looked lost and scared against Purdue .... go ahead and give it a shot and let me know what his reaction was ..

and i'm pretty sure no where in Harry's or anyone elses critique of him .. did the words lost and scared come into the pic ..

and Southern Irish said something along these lines .. u know what .. let me just go copy his words so i am not paraphrasing ..

"I couldn't believe what i saw on the very FIRST play. Mike Golic literally flying backward on his ASS. JC. someone might want to tell him the game started and apparently Purdue didn't realize they were supposed to roll over for ND. I hope he screws his head on for the MSU game or some might take it off. "

the bolded part is definetly U displaying your displeasure .. but to say the bolded part is just not a personal insult IS A JOKE ..... calling him NOT READY TO PLAY on the first play of the game is just u IMO displaying your displeasure in a very inmature way ..... u basically said the kid was in lala land for play #1 .. thats prepared??? .. come on man .. re-read what u said ..

but hey .. if he came here and read this and u guys ever met .. I'm sure he'd thank U and shake your hand for pointing out to him that he needs to be ready for the first play and if he does NOT HAVE HIS HEAD SCREWED ON STRAIGHT someone will take it off ... cause i bet he didn't realize that until he read it here .. :rolleyes:

anyhow fellas ... thats enough of this for me .. not why i'm here ... so have fun and knock yourselves out mocking me ... no biggie to me ..

PS. next time u slam a kid unfairly IMO on his profile thread ... i will make the same kind of supporting post i did for Mike ...

GO IRISH!!!! big game tonight .. time to start focusing on whoopin some of that Michigan ass!!!!!!!!!

Guff
09-22-2012, 06:46 PM
One period at the end of a sentence is sufficient. I stopped reading because it was too annoying.

IrishCrasher
09-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah you lost me here also.

adamsfamily03
09-22-2012, 07:22 PM
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Purebred Irishman
10-20-2012, 04:22 AM
http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101912aae.html

The name Golic has long carried a hefty weight around football circles in America. Brothers Bob and Mike captained the University of Notre Dame teams as seniors in the 1970s and 1980s before each enjoyed long careers in the National Football League. Both former defensive linemen now host well-known sports talk radio shows.

Due in large part to the brothers' stellar play during their time at Notre Dame, the name Golic is held in especially high esteem in South Bend, Ind. So when the time came for Mike Golic, Jr., to choose an institution of higher learning to continue his academic and athletic career, the Irish faithful clamored for his services. After all, another Golic on the gridiron was certainly a welcomed prospect. Luckily for Irish fans, Mike Jr., was instantly drawn to his family's beloved school.

"Being on campus felt right from the beginning," Golic Jr. says. "The people, the atmosphere, and the religious aspect of Notre Dame are what really drew me here."

A highly-touted offensive lineman out of Northwest Catholic High School in West Hartford, Conn., Golic Jr., committed to Notre Dame during a broadcast of Mike and Mike in the Morning, the popular national show on ESPN Radio that his father co-hosts with Mike Greenberg.

While Mike Jr. arrived on campus with a bit more fanfare than most his fellow freshmen he also came to Notre Dame bearing the outsized expectations of filling some very large shoes. His dad and uncle were not merely serviceable players; Bob was a two-time All-American at Notre Dame and made three Pro Bowls with the Cleveland Browns, and Mike Sr. was talented enough to spend nine successful years in the NFL. Some unfairly expected Mike Jr., to equal those impressive feats. Early on, he brushed off the constant comparisons between him, his father and uncle.

"When I first came to Notre Dame, I was more focused on forging my own way and making a name for myself," Golic Jr. says. "I wanted to leave my own legacy."

While Golic Jr. had no problem flourishing off the field as a freshman and sophomore, finding his way onto the field was a bit more difficult. He did not see any game action in his first year and played sparingly in just three games as a sophomore.
"Obviously coming in here you want to play right away," Golic Jr. says. "Having to sit for as long as I did was disappointing but made me realize that I had to buckle down and work a little harder, do a little extra."

Golic Jr. looked early and often to his parents, especially his father, to guide him through some frustrating times. He realized that instead of insisting on differentiating himself from his father, he would be much better served to try to emulate him and heed his advice.

"As I've grown older, I've come to learn that all I've really wanted to do the entire time is be as much like my dad as I could," Golic Jr. said. "He's been a role model of mine since I was a kid. He's showed me what it means to be a man, to be responsible on and off the field."

When asked who he looked up to, Golic Jr. cites his father and mother, Chris, a Saint Mary's graduate, without hesitation.

"They both have played such a huge role in my life," Golic Jr. says. "They have shown me how to treat everyone with kindness and respect. You never know what people have going on in their lives. Everyone is fighting a tough battle."

Golic Jr. began to see meaningful playing time during his junior season, when he saw action in 12 games as a reserve offensive lineman. He played primarily on special teams as a senior before starting the final four games at center in place of injured starter Braxston Cave. Golic Jr. graduated from Notre Dame in May 2012, but was granted a fifth season of eligibility because he did not play as a freshman. This season, he has started every game at right guard.

"Not playing a whole lot my first two years made me really appreciate the opportunity I have now of playing every game," Golic Jr. says.

As a starter and fifth-year senior, Golic Jr. is expected to set an example for the younger players. Couple his experience with his outgoing personality, and you have one of the core leaders of this year's Irish team.

"I always try to be a role model for the younger guys," Golic Jr. says. "I try to come in everyday and reflect the high standards that we have here at Notre Dame so the young guys know this is how we do business."

Four years ago, as a "young guy" himself, Golic Jr. was struck by the intense leadership of the seniors. He patterns much of his leadership tactics from one former Irish linebacker in particular.

"Maurice Crum Jr., a four-year starter and two-time captain, was one guy I really looked up to when I was a freshman," Golic Jr. says. "You could see everyday how much it mattered to him. He was one of the best leaders I have ever been around."

Amidst what is guaranteed to be his last year of college football, Golic Jr, has tried to emulate Crum's constant intensity.

"I try to give everyone a sense of urgency," Golic Jr. says. "For myself and the other seniors, we only have one more shot at this. The way we come to work everyday has to reflect that."

Make no mistake about it, Golic Jr. is all business on the field; off of it, however, he is one of the team's social catalysts. He organized numerous cookouts throughout summer practices and routinely gathers his teammates for movie watches.

"I want to have fun with the guys when it's appropriate to have fun," Golic Jr. says. "We have a lot of big personalities on this team and a lot of really great guys."

Golic Jr. also is one of the founders of a new team tradition, Trick Shot Monday. Every Monday during game week, a group of players attempt to shoot a ping-pong ball into a small Gatorade cup. The shot, though, must be out-of-the-ordinary and have a high degree of difficulty.Videos of Trick Shot Monday are posted on Notre Dame's YouTube site every week and viewed by thousands and thousands of fans.

Another founding father of Trick Shot Monday is Golic Jr.'s brother, Jake, a senior tight end. The Golics are one of four pairs of brothers on the team and share an especially close bond.

"We've been fortunate to have played with each other in high school and college," Golic Jr. says. "We've shared a bedroom since we were little kids and I live with him this year. He's been one of my best friends for the longest time. When things are really bad and I'm not sure who to go to, I know I have Jake as a security blanket."

Golic Jr. also is very close with fellow lineman and graduate senior Braxston Cave, his roommate during camp as a freshman, and the rest of the graduate seniors, including Danny McCarthy, John Goodman, Kapron Lewis-Moore and Jamoris Slaughter.

While Golic Jr. is certainly a commanding presence in the locker room, he has also left an indelible mark on campus as a whole through numerous service projects. During the week leading up to the Michigan game, Golic Jr. was one of 22 college football players from across the country named to the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team, one of the sport's premier service honors. He has given his time to countless causes throughout his time at Notre Dame, but one is especially near and dear to his heart.

"The one that's definitely at the top of my list is the fundraiser for St. Baldrick's Foundation, the Bald and the Beautiful," Golic Jr. said. "I've worked on it for the last four years."

The Bald and the Beautiful has raised more than $160,000 over the past four years for childhood cancer research. Participants shave their heads in solidarity with kids who are battling the life-threatening illness.

"It's just so rewarding," Golic Jr. says. "Every day for them is such a struggle; you know these kids and their families are hurting so bad. To be able to meet and interact with them and put a smile on their faces is a really fulfilling experience."

Golic Jr. laments the fact that he will not be able to participate in the event this year as he will be training for the NFL Draft in April 2013. He hopes, however, to continue his playing career, but has his sights set on another occupation if football doesn't pan out.

"Playing at the next level would be a tremendous opportunity," Golic Jr. says. "But if that doesn't work out, I majored in Film, Television and Theater, and would like to get into sports broadcasting. I really love to talk and think I'm pretty good at it."

But even Golic Jr. struggles to find the right words when asked to look back on his time at Notre Dame.

"Notre Dame has given me an incredible amount of perspective on the things I deem important in my life and the things that are worth fighting for," Golic Jr. says. "I've been privileged to have gone to school with an incredible group of people, some of the best in the world. They're friends I hope I have for the rest of my life. I really can't put into words what a special place this is. You have to be here to understand it."

And so upon the completion of this season, another full link will be added in the chain that connects football-playing Golics and Notre Dame. Yes, it will connect Mike Jr. with his father and uncle, but the link will be unique nevertheless. And to Mike Golic Jr., that's having the best of both worlds.

Purebred Irishman
12-06-2012, 05:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/notre-dame-football/post/_/id/12278/teo-golic-jr-named-academic-all-americans

Manti Te'o and Mike Golic Jr. have kept the awards piling up for Notre Dame, as both players were named Thursday to the Capital One Academic All-America first team.

The Irish rank second all time with 227 academic All-Americans, trailing only Nebraska.

Te'o was a second-team academic All-American last season and is the 10th repeat honoree in Notre Dame history, and the first Irish football player to repeat since John Carlson in 2006 and 2007.

Te'o will graduate this month with a degree in design from the College of Arts and Letters. He has a 3.324 GPA. Golic graduated in May with a degree in film, television and theatre and had an overall GPA of 3.428. He is currently enrolled in graduate studies.

Eligible players for the academic All-America team must have completed at least sophomore standing, be a starter or key reserve, own a GPA of 3.3 or greater and be nominated by his sports information director.

irishunclebill
12-07-2012, 10:26 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/21emwz.jpg

Award for community service.

irishunclebill
12-07-2012, 10:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=252TpOZWkq8

Purebred Irishman
12-25-2012, 04:41 PM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1452683

Mike Golic, Jr., has his father’s gift of gab.

Ask him a question and he can roll on for long periods of time, talking the football jargon and diplomatically singing the company line, particularly as the Irish prepare for the biggest game of their lives.

Golic has fit in at Notre Dame in other ways as well. A 16-game starter at center (four games) and right guard (12), the 6-foot-3, 300-pounder earned his way into the starting lineup in 2012 after serving as Braxston Cave’s understudy in the final five games of the ’11 season.

“It was very important for Mike to have a good senior year, and he decided that he was going to work extra hard and fight and win a position, and he did that,” said first-year Irish offensive line coach Harry Hiestand.

“He is dedicated and sunk everything he had into it and came out as a starter. He had to beat out red-shirt freshmen to do it and he did that, so that’s a testament to Mike. He’s been around here a long time and hasn’t had a lot of opportunities. But he took advantage of an opportunity, went out and won a position, and goes out and battles for us every week.”

There were those who claimed the only reason Golic landed a scholarship offer from Notre Dame was because of his father - Mike, Sr. - who played defensive end for the Irish with distinction in the early ‘80s, as did uncle Bob a few years before at linebacker and middle guard. (A third Golic brother, Greg, played offensive tackle for the Irish in the early ‘80s.)

Charlie Weis - a Notre Dame graduate himself - certainly favored sprinkling his Irish roster with Notre Dame legacies, which played a role in his recruitment of Mike, Jr. But while lacking overall strength and not playing against some of the nation’s best prep competition, Golic, Jr., was a technician who took following in his father’s footsteps to Notre Dame seriously. He had fundamental skills and a solid knowledge base with which to work.

But after three seasons at Notre Dame, Golic barely had sniffed the field, and eight games into his senior season in 2011, he was a backup to Braxston Cave at center with nary a chance of making a significant contribution.

Then Cave went down with a foot injury at Wake Forest, and now Golic was expected to step in and help continue Notre Dame’s march to post-season play. The performance was hit and miss at times, and Golic’s future as a fifth-year senior in ’12 was not a certainty.

“There are times when you get down,” Golic admitted. “But I’ve had a tremendous group of people around me. My family, my close friends here and back home who were able to keep me positive and remind me that the hard work was going to pay off. Staying ready is the most important thing in the position I was in last year.”

The voice of reason echoing through his head belonged to his father.

“Just stay after it,” said Golic the younger of his father’s persistent message. “All you can control is what’s on your end right now. You can’t force anything else to happen. You’re not going to be able to make people do what they’re not going to do. You have to stay sharp and stay ready.”

If Golic’s fifth year wasn’t etched in stone, neither was winning a battle against talented youngsters such as Christian Lombard (a red-shirt sophomore who eventually settled in at right tackle), and red-shirt freshmen Nick Martin and Conor Hanratty. But Golic held off the charge, and when he is the subject of an interview session today, he’s asked about how he’s going to block Alabama’s ferocious defensive line in the national championship game.

“They’re a talented and a well-coached group, and we can’t give them anything,” said Golic of Alabama’s front, led by nose guard Jesse Williams. “It’s a challenge enough to block players at this level. This is the best of the best there is, so if you give them any little bit, they’re going to take advantage of it because they’re already playing at a high level.

“Like Coach Hiestand said, if our eyes are in the right place and our footwork is right, our targets are correct so we don’t give them that extra bit of wiggle room.”

Golic believes the Irish offensive line benefits from playing against another top-rated defensive line in practice every day.

“They roll a lot of guys through on that defensive front, and they have a lot of big, solid bodies, just like our defense,” Golic said. “That’s such a huge advantage for us right now, to be able to practice against the No. 1 scoring defense in our country. Big, strong talented guys that play very similarly to the guys at Alabama.”

There is a surreal feel to Notre Dame’s preparation for a national title game after a 19-year gap since truly competing for the big prize and a 24-year lapse since the last national championship claimed by the Irish.

But Golic’s background - both as the son/nephew of former Irish players and a legacy trying to carve his own niche - have him well prepared for the biggest game of his life.

“I was a backup last year at a couple of positions inside and if I wasn’t ready when my number was called, then I’d be letting everyone else down as well as myself,” Golic said. “Staying ready and being accountable to what I was responsible for in my role on the team was (my dad’s) message to me.”

He’s his father’s son, all right, playing for all the marbles come Jan. 7.

HoffVir
01-04-2013, 11:12 PM
video --> http://www.wndu.com/video/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=8134202

Notre Dame's First Family talks about the opportunity to all be together for a special season
Posted: Fri 7:34 PM, Jan 04, 2013 Reporter: Angelo Di Carlo

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/300*173/golic+family.jpg

They are like the First Family of Notre Dame. First came Bob and Greg, then Mike. The legacy continued as all three of Mike's three kids followed to Notre Dame, but there was no pressure.

"I told them with Mike, then with Jake and then with Sydney, you make the decision on where you want to go,” said Mike Golic Senior. “Do not worry that I was at Notre Dame and your uncles were there and your mother went to St. Mary's and your aunt went to St. Mary's. You go wherever you want. I had a nice pause, except USC. It just can't happen in the Golic family. It's just not allowed."

All three kids have been among the most active in the community of all Notre Dame student athletes. You can see how much they love Notre Dame, how much they love giving back.

The three shared a special moment after the Pitt game, because Sydney would be out of town for Senior Day due to swimming. That moment was their senior moment together

"It was emotional then,” explains Mike Golic Junior. “Someone I grew up with and only had the luxury of going to school with this semester. I have been fortunate to be here in school with Jake since he got here my sophomore year and that's been a great experience. I got to enjoy a short amount of time here with her, got to enjoy a season with her. Which is great. Hopefully we are leaving her setup for a good career here.”

Monday night. Mike and Jake play their final game at Notre Dame, looking to do something their uncle once did, win a national championship.

"It's something all the guys on our team, we haven't seen in our lifetime out of Notre Dame,” says Mike Golic Junior. “It's something this University has been tremendously proud of, its rich tradition in the national championships. Our goal is to go out there and win this game on January 7 and hopefully add to that."

Stay with WNDU for complete Notre Dame Football coverage throughout the National Title game.

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Notre-Dames-First-Family-talks-about-the-opportunity-to-all-be-together-for-a-special-season--185715251.html

Purebred Irishman
04-28-2013, 02:18 AM
UDFA with the Steelers.

stonebreakerwasgod
04-28-2013, 09:56 AM
I would just plan to go back to school and get a masters if I were him.

jbrown_9999
04-28-2013, 11:39 AM
It's not a bad summer job. I played with a guy that signed as a UDFA. He went to camp for a few weeks, got cut after first pre-season game in which he played all of 10 plays, then went to med school having banked a little bit of cash.

He would do it all over again.

LOVEMYIRISH
04-28-2013, 12:35 PM
It's not a bad summer job. I played with a guy that signed as a UDFA. He went to camp for a few weeks, got cut after first pre-season game in which he played all of 10 plays, then went to med school having banked a little bit of cash.

He would do it all over again.

It makes sense.

I did my MBA with Lindsey Knapp. I was sitting next to his wife at a lunch. She basically told me "Lindsey will never make more than League minimum, so he is just saving his money and getting his MBA"

Get the $$$ while you can, then go get a degree. Mike knows his parents would let him move back in with them if needed.

jerseyborn1971
04-28-2013, 01:07 PM
He's a rich kid with connections into media, coaching, front office management and an ND degree. He'll be just fine no matter what happens.

Jiggafini19
04-28-2013, 01:25 PM
He's a rich kid with connections into media, coaching, front office management and an ND degree. He'll be just fine no matter what happens.

Bingo. Doesn't need football while others do. He will be promptly cut.

IrishDodger
09-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Released by Steelers.

HoffVir
05-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Rich Cirminiello ‏@RichCirminiello (https://twitter.com/RichCirminiello)
Former #ND (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ND&src=hash) players Carlo Calabrese and Mike Golic Jr. headed to the Browns
7:54 PM - 10 May 2014

Mike Golic Jr ‏@MGolicJR57 (https://twitter.com/MGolicJR57)
@D_Farmer (https://twitter.com/D_Farmer) @ObserverSports (https://twitter.com/ObserverSports) @RichCirminiello (https://twitter.com/RichCirminiello) that's not true, please retract that tweet
7:59 PM - 10 May 2014

HoffVir
05-10-2014, 10:53 PM
Mike Golic Jr ‏@MGolicJR57 (https://twitter.com/MGolicJR57)
Extremely grateful and excited to be heading to New Orleans tomorrow to sign with the @Saints (https://twitter.com/Saints)! #WhoDat (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhoDat&src=hash)
10:49 PM - 10 May 2014

IrishDodger
06-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Released by Saints.