PDA

View Full Version : Gold Helmet 2.0 Beta Discussion

Svoboda
02-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Gold Helmeteers! I plan on turned on GH 2.0 beta to EVERYONE beginning this evening. During this time, I will be discontinuing the old style so I can focus 100% on this. When this happens, you'll have access to all features and functionality and I would appreciate as much feedback as possible on it. Feel free to drop your comments into this thread of drop me a private message... whatever works.

So look for it this evening, probably sometime at 8pm EST.

Svoboda
02-17-2009, 06:15 PM
This has been done. You may have to delete your temporary Internet file cache.

mlcspinner
02-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Goodbye to the old hello to the future :)

stonebreakerwasgod
02-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Me likey. I had to click on a forum to get 'new posts'.

SouthernIrish
02-17-2009, 06:31 PM
I would also like to see "New Posts" on the top of the home page so I don't have to dig through all the topics to find new posts and replys. Otherwise, so far so good. Good Work Svo! I don't want to sound like I'm brown nosing because I pay to be here but this is undoubtly the best ND site in terms of browser and members.

mlcspinner
02-17-2009, 06:39 PM
I liked having a list on the front page of the topics that were currently being discussed.

stonebreakerwasgod
02-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Got it. New posts is under the 'Forums' tab. It's easy to find when you look.

Svoboda
02-17-2009, 08:52 PM
I liked having a list on the front page of the topics that were currently being discussed.

That is what the "new posts" link is for. The only reason I had that last time is because we were doing the blog syndication and it filtered those out. Since we're no longer doing that, it was no longer needed and as excess "fat" so to speak. It slashed multiple queries that were ran every time the front page was accessed -- that's a good thing.

daytonirish
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Maybe you could add some type of signal so we would know when folks are lurking around. :bigsmile:
These types seem to be dangerous and can cause trouble.

Svoboda
02-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Maybe you could add some type of signal so we would know when folks are lurking around. :bigsmile:
These types seem to be dangerous and can cause trouble.
Why do you think we put stoney in green?

NDgrandson
02-18-2009, 02:14 AM

That is what the "new posts" link is for. The only reason I had that last time is because we were doing the blog syndication and it filtered those out. Since we're no longer doing that, it was no longer needed and as excess "fat" so to speak. It slashed multiple queries that were ran every time the front page was accessed -- that's a good thing.

Unless the "new posts" is going to show around 30 threads, I don't like it. I like to keep up with all the threads that have been posted in and the old way allowed it where the new way seems to be the same "new posts" as before. I get the whole "excess fat " thing but in the last couple of weeks we have been viewing the 2.0 version, this change is by far the most radical and I hope we can bring back the threads to the homepage without having to go into the individual forums. "New threads" does not show enough, especially for those who aren't checking GH every couple of hours a day.

stonebreakerwasgod
02-18-2009, 06:26 AM
Hey now.

Svoboda
02-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Unless the "new posts" is going to show around 30 threads, I don't like it. I like to keep up with all the threads that have been posted in and the old way allowed it where the new way seems to be the same "new posts" as before. I get the whole "excess fat " thing but in the last couple of weeks we have been viewing the 2.0 version, this change is by far the most radical and I hope we can bring back the threads to the homepage without having to go into the individual forums. "New threads" does not show enough, especially for those who aren't checking GH every couple of hours a day.

The "Get New Posts" option is going to show each and every new post since your last visit, whether that number is 8 or 8000 -- so yes, it is showing all threads that have been posted in since your last visit. Additionally, there has always been an option to get "Today's Posts" under the Quick Links dropdown on the vBulletin navigation -- I'll add it to the main navigation here in a few.

What I suggest is you take some time to actually go through all the options that are available to you. They've always been here and I honestly don't think you've ever truly taken a deep look at them. In fact, between the "New Posts" and "Today's Posts" options, it has a far deeper reach considering the Top Stats box only included the Top X, which I believe I had set to 25... so if there has been more then 25 threads posted in since your last visit, you wouldn't have known anyway.

notredomer23
02-18-2009, 05:58 PM
i dont like change. lol jk. everything has been great Svo minus the new posts being gone. But i read your previous post and im confident everything will be good :D

KamaraPolice
02-18-2009, 06:20 PM
I love how clicking the articles in newswire takes you right to the article in a new window. Wow, this site is really top-notch and very professional. Well done! (and thank you!)

ND_Ownz!
02-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Something seems to be up with your "Introductions & Welcome" auto-posts:
http://www.goldhelmet.com/showpost.php?p=150457&postcount=1

Svoboda
02-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I fixed that right after I saw that. That is the default welcome message for the software -- from the code writer's forum.

Griff Cannon
03-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Would you be able to add a side bar item for the most recent blog entries, it would probably increase views.

JGESS
04-23-2009, 04:37 PM
maybe already noted in a different post, but under the 'view new posts' tab, you now need to be a gold club member to access?

Svoboda
04-24-2009, 07:56 AM
maybe already noted in a different post, but under the 'view new posts' tab, you now need to be a gold club member to access?
Yes, that was disabled due to the recent outage we had.

http://www.goldhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=17452