PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame’s shooting star

irishunclebill
12-05-2008, 06:07 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news;_ylt=AhXfgX7SMDK7c8UBRoJ3hvI5nYcB?slug=jn-mcalarney120508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Notre Dame’s shooting star

By Jason King, Yahoo! Sports
6 hours, 49 minutes ago

Sometime this spring, the best shooter in college basketball will hike through the wilderness in search of dinner.

Kyle McAlarney said he’ll carry nothing but the essentials for either protecting himself in an uninhibited jungle, spearing fish from a river, or building a shelter on a mountain range scattered with snow.

McAlarney has yet to select the destination for the four-day “survival excursion” he read about on the Web. Wherever the Notre Dame guard ends up, he hopes the conditions are rugged.

“This will be perfect for me,” McAlarney said. “I like to push myself. I like taking things to the extreme.”

Testing his limits has always been a way of life for McAlarney. Off the court – and on it, too.

Plenty of collegians stick around after practice to take extra shots, but Notre Dame coach Mike Brey doesn’t know of many who would set a goal of making 23,000 3-pointers during the two-month span before the start of the season.

Prep prospects might travel the country playing AAU ball, but how many of them are given the keys to their school gym so they can show up at 4:30 a.m. to work out before classes?

At times, Brey said, McAlarney’s work ethic “borders on maniacal.” But there are no indications the Staten Island, N.Y. native is about to change.

“Look at me,” McAlarney said. “I’m 5-foot-11. I’m not the prototypical basketball player with the prototypical basketball body. I’ve always had to deal with the stigma of being white and unathletic.

“When it comes to basketball, I practice and play with a chip on my shoulder. I don’t have any other choice.”

The approach has paid off for McAlarney and the Fighting Irish, Big East title contenders whose lone loss came against top-ranked North Carolina.

In his past five games, McAlarney has averaged 27 points while shooting 54.4 percent from behind the arc. He hit nine 3-pointers against Furman this week and made seven more in a victory over South Dakota two days later.

No performance, though, can top McAlarney’s outburst against the No. 1 Tar Heels in Maui on Nov. 26, when he converted a school-record 10 3-pointers in Notre Dame’s 102-87 loss.

“All we could do was congratulate him,” said North Carolina coach Roy Williams. “It was the finest display of shooting I’ve ever seen.”

continued.....

stonebreakerwasgod
12-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Damn, that's a lot of 3's.

irishunclebill
12-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Damn, that's a lot of 3's.

If you missed the UNC game you missed a treat. It did not even matter that ND was down by 10-20 points most of the game. Kyle was beyond belief, especially in the 2nd half. He was throwing up 30 foot shots with Tar Heels all over him and hitting nothing but net. Roy Williams statement was not an exaggeration.

NDisNCin2010
12-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Kyles story is one of redemption...and to me it speaks to and validates whjat i feel is needed more and that is giving kids (or anyone for that matter) a second chance if they screw up...he paid his dues after that pot bust...humbled himself...and is back on track.
some here and elsewhere wanted him gone, thrown out of school, pull his scholly, etc as they raised their pious pitchforks on high.
my hope is that members of GH remember a guy like McAlarney (especially as he lights it up this year for us) when they throw other members of the ND Family under the bus when they fuck up with the law or do something stupid that messes up the team: i.e. Yeatman (i know his is a 3rd chance), Golic, Clausen, DJ (i know, i know he's gone), Walls.

robertsgolf
12-05-2008, 08:29 PM
The UNC game was one of the most unreal things i've ever seen. The last couple of minutes of that game he was out of his mind.

daytonirish
12-06-2008, 08:46 AM
If Tory Jackson keeps driving the middle Kyle, and Ryan will have there chances to keep draining the 3's. Kyle is definetly on fire right now shooting.