PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame/Big East Scheduling Discussion

Svoboda
07-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Looks like the Big East is getting serious about their scheduling. From the article:

Pitt series:

Pitt starts an eight-game, home-and-home series with Notre Dame in 2008 and also plays Virginia Tech, Miami (a game that was part of the settlement to the ACC/Big East lawsuit), Clemson, Iowa and N.C. State.

This is pretty cool:

ND, a Big East member in conference sports except football (and part of the league's second-tier bowl agreements) has committed to playing each of the Big East eight teams in a rotating schedule starting in 2011.

Interesting:

Rutgers and Notre Dame reportedly have discussed playing six consecutive years (2010-15).

To read the full article, http://www.dailymail.com/story/Sports/200707107/Big-East-football-scheduling-lineup-gets-pumped-up/

KMac151993
07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Booo....lets just go out and play the best teams in the country and not worry about the Big East.

scooper
07-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Booo....lets just go out and play the best teams in the country and not worry about the Big East.

We'll already be playing USC and hopefully still Michigan. If Michigan drops off, they will be replaced with a good time such as we did with anOSU in the 90's. Add a couple more Big 10 teams and occassional dates with teams we've recently played such as Tenn, FSU, Nebraska, Gt, UCLA, Oklahoma (who appears on future schedules) and we're not playing chopped liver. Every game can't be against a top 10 team. Besides, at the moment, you can count teams like Louisville and WVU among the top 10.

My only problem here is let's not become too regionalized.

IrishR#1
07-11-2007, 02:08 PM
I want to play Miami, Florida State, and Ohio State.

Svoboda
07-11-2007, 02:09 PM
I want to play Miami, Florida State, and Ohio State.

But not in the same season, right?

IrishR#1
07-11-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't know. It would be cool to play those college powers. Catholics v. Convicts!

scooper
07-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Sure, let's see if we can line up Michigan, USC, Miami, anOSU, Florida, Florida St., Oklahoma and Texas all in the same year.

This isn't an EA Sports game. You need some realism and some breathers.

Svoboda
07-11-2007, 02:16 PM
I don't know. It would be cool to play those college powers. Catholics v. Convicts!
Well, if you're not interested in winning a national title, I guess it's okay.

IMO, each year (assuming 11 games) you should have 2 marquee games, 7-8 average to tough games and 1-2 breather games.

stonebreakerwasgod
07-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Looks like the Big East is getting serious about their scheduling. From the article:

Pitt series:

This is pretty cool:

Interesting:

To read the full article, http://www.dailymail.com/story/Sports/200707107/Big-East-football-scheduling-lineup-gets-pumped-up/

Does this mean in 30 years or so we could see ND play at Cincinnati??

WOOHOO! :)

IrishR#1
07-11-2007, 03:05 PM
I get bored watching ND play Air Force and Stanford. ND right now is better than Miami and Florida State. Ohio State isn't that good either.

untitledproject
07-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I get bored watching ND play Air Force and Stanford. ND right now is better than Miami and Florida State. Ohio State isn't that good either.

I actually applauded anOSU & Texas for their matches. anOSU continually has the biggest joke of a schedule outside of Tex.

stonebreakerwasgod
07-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Bubba, I'm just hoping to see ND where I live. :)

IrishR#1
07-11-2007, 03:09 PM
There are no major colleges where I live... :(

untitledproject
07-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Last great game by me was at the Meadowlands Kick Off Classic ND stomped on Maryland.

rontdtarchala
07-11-2007, 05:31 PM
gotta agree with svo on this one...you can't play a rediculous schedule but you must play a top ten one...the problem is when top ten teams play cream puff schedules and still think they should be playing for the NC

KMac151993
07-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Well, if you're not interested in winning a national title, I guess it's okay.

IMO, each year (assuming 11 games) you should have 2 marquee games, 7-8 average to tough games and 1-2 breather games.

I hate this arguement....why not play the best, play cupcakes just leads to 30+ point defeats in undeserved bowl games.

scooper
07-11-2007, 08:18 PM

Florida St. was to last year like ND will be this year-extremely young. They had some injuries as well. They should be very good this year.

Miami-right now, yes, you are correct.

Ohio St.-Are you kidding me? Look, I dislike the bucknuggets more than just about any other team, but NC game aside, their program right now is humming along better than most of the country. They will have a rebuilding year this year, but as of late on the field, we have nothing to crow about with regards to how good we are or have been. Let's not forget it was about a year and half ago that Ohio St. took it to us.

Hey, I love ND as much as all of you, but at some point you have to take off the blue and gold colored glasses. If we lined up against that type of schedule this year, we'd be lucky to win 5 games.

scooper
07-11-2007, 08:19 PM
I hate this arguement....why not play the best, play cupcakes just leads to 30+ point defeats in undeserved bowl games.Well, last year wasn't a cupcake schedule and it still led to that.

Nobody is suggesting a cupcake laden schedule. But people who want to play 10 top 25 teams are nuts.

IrishR#1
07-11-2007, 08:53 PM
I just want to play teams like Army, Florida State, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Purdue, USC, Michigan State, Stanford, Navy and others who ND has had great games against.

scooper
07-11-2007, 09:05 PM
I just want to play teams like Army, Florida State, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Purdue, USC, Michigan State, Stanford, Navy and others who ND has had great games against.

Agree. There's nobody mentioned in this thread that I wouldn't like to play. But some think we should just schedule all the heavy hitters back to back to back....

KMac151993
07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Well, last year wasn't a cupcake schedule and it still led to that.

Nobody is suggesting a cupcake laden schedule. But people who want to play 10 top 25 teams are nuts.

Why if you can't beat the best you don't deserve to be there. With the exception of Navy (no offense to the Middies as they are a good team), ND and their fans should want to see them play the top teams in the nation week in and week out. If we were preseason ranked 12 then I would want to see us play the the top 11 + Navy.

scooper
07-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Why if you can't beat the best you don't deserve to be there. With the exception of Navy (no offense to the Middies as they are a good team), ND and their fans should want to see them play the top teams in the nation week in and week out. If we were preseason ranked 12 then I would want to see us play the the top 11 + Navy.

Well, no team, not Notre Dame, not Florida, OSU, USC and on and on and on does that. Yet they crown a team the best every year.

This isn't the 40's when ND could stockpile the talent to do that. That's simply not reality.

KMac151993
07-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Well, no team, not Notre Dame, not Florida, OSU, USC and on and on and on does that. Yet they crown a team the best every year.

This isn't the 40's when ND could stockpile the talent to do that. That's simply not reality.

Tell that to USC.

rontdtarchala
07-11-2007, 10:38 PM
kmac please get real no team could make it through the season playing the top 10 teams please get real that is crazy talk your simply out of touch with reality on this one my friend

KMac151993
07-11-2007, 10:52 PM
kmac please get real no team could make it through the season playing the top 10 teams please get real that is crazy talk your simply out of touch with reality on this one my friend

I am just saying try and play the best teams around.

rontdtarchala
07-11-2007, 10:55 PM
no doubt you must play a quality schedule if you want to be in the chase but top 10 in the country is carazyeee...but ya I do understand what you mean amigo

KMac151993
07-11-2007, 11:45 PM
no doubt you must play a quality schedule if you want to be in the chase but top 10 in the country is carazyeee...but ya I do understand what you mean amigo

I guess I should have been more clear.....if we start scheduling top heavy with Big East teams then we are not going to be playing all top tier schools. I mean hell in '95 we played solid teams like Ohio State, Washington, Texas....so I guess when I see a team like San Diego State, I just think that we are ND and we shouldn't "dumb" ourselves down to that level, at least play power conference lower teams is what I am saying.

scooper
07-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Tell that to USC.If USC played #'s 1-10 every year, they would trip up more than once. Look at losses to UCLA and Oregon St. And recent scares to Fresno and crappy teams like Washington and Stanford. Those just show that even the most talented teams can't get completely up every week.