PDA

View Full Version : the running game

notredomer23
07-01-2007, 07:16 PM
not a bad article considering its free.http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=654880

enjoy: )

NDgrandson
07-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Yes, good read. I anticipate many formations, especially as the year progresses.
I think Schwapp will absolutely pummell anyone in his way this year.
Schmidt could be effective at blocking but his thing could be catching the ball as a FB.
Thomas should be the steady back to move the chains.
Aldridge...not sure. Will we see new things on a healthier knee that what we saw last year? I hope he gets a good number of carries to see if he will be our #1 for a few years or if he will be one of a few.
Hughes is mentioned before Allen in the article and it is about the first time I have seen that since he verballed. I am very excited about him. He is a stud! He is ready for PT, physically. He can block out of a 2 or 3 back set. He has good speed and power. He can catch. He has the opportunity to see the field a lot with that kind of versatility.
Allen, as the article says, in certian packages could showcase his speed. He could be a killer on screens. I am eagerly awaiting to see him on the field.

This is the most excited I have ever been to see what we do with our backs.

stonebreakerwasgod
07-01-2007, 09:16 PM
It's about time. Next year is going to be interesting. The following year should be a breakout year for ND.

rontdtarchala
07-02-2007, 01:08 PM
We may not be in NC contention this year...but I think we will put the fear factor back in our competition and that my friends is the beginning of domination

untitledproject
07-02-2007, 06:49 PM
New offense possibly could sneak a few wins in here and there. Even though "WE HAVE A WEAK SCHEDULE"

Danman
07-02-2007, 06:56 PM
New offense possibly could sneak a few wins in here and there. Even though "WE HAVE A WEAK SCHEDULE"

People who say that should check out Rutgers' schedule this season.

IrishKnight1023
07-02-2007, 07:09 PM
People who say that should check out Rutgers' schedule this season.

----Yeah it's pretty bad...Maryland is like the OOC big test of the year lol.

Danman
07-02-2007, 07:15 PM
----Yeah it's pretty bad...Maryland is like the OOC big test of the year lol.

Here it is:

Rutgers schedule
Date Opponent
Aug. 30 Buffalo
Sept. 7 Navy
Sept. 15 Norfolk State
Sept. 29 Maryland
Oct. 6 Cincinnati
Oct. 13 at Syracuse
Oct. 18 USF
Oct. 27 West Virginia
Nov. 3 at Connecticut
Nov. 9 at Army
Nov. 17 Pittsburgh
Nov. 29 at Louisville

Some of it they can do nothing about, like Uconn, Pitt, Syracuse, Cinn...but then there are the games where they play Norfolk State, Buffalo, Army, and Navy. Cmon now.

notredomer23
07-02-2007, 07:36 PM
3 years ago they wouldve lost to norfolk state.

mlcspinner
07-02-2007, 07:51 PM
It's about time. Next year is going to be interesting. The following year should be a breakout year for ND.

Tradition doesn't graduate. we should expect great things from this team, not wait till 2008

stonebreakerwasgod
07-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Seeing is believing.

rdrdreamer
07-02-2007, 11:08 PM
The running game in my opinion should open up our passing game? If we look back at the end of the first half during this past Sugar Bowl, we will see that the LSU player's had their hands on their hips...sucking air. I saw our running scheme literily destroying their defense...on the ground. I am still dumbfounded as to why we did not continue this ground attack?

This year we will have not only Schwapp, Aldridge and Schmidt punishing the defenders, but we will also have Hughes, Allen and Thomas ready to see duty. I do not see why we cannot just run the ball down our opponents throat? Once we establish the run, then make the secondary have to commit to covering our tight ends, Rueland, Carlson, Yeatman and Ragone... who will either lead block for Aldridge, Hughes, Allen or Thomas...or take that five yard dump and turn it upfield for a punishing gain. Either way...it will wear down the secondary.

Then...look out for Kamara, Grimes, Hord, Parris, Tate and Floyd. Our quarterback, whom ever it will be is going to benefit from our running game...IMO! :cool:

stonebreakerwasgod
07-02-2007, 11:25 PM
It may be just me, but I think 3 years, Goodman could see some good time at WR. Don't underestimate that boy.

rdrdreamer
07-02-2007, 11:48 PM
It may be just me, but I think 3 years, Goodman could see some good time at WR. Don't underestimate that boy.

By no means. I didn't mean to look past Goodman. Goodman, Floyd, Tate and Kamara are our tomorrow. I was just looking at our today. We really aren't that bad...really. And again...with our running game to open up the lanes, we don't need the nations best reciever's each and every Saturday...just the ones who will fit Coach Weis's plans.

and...there are still the 'dark horses'...Gallup and West?

stonebreakerwasgod
07-02-2007, 11:49 PM
I agree with what you said. The comment was one of a general nature, as I think he is overlooked somewhat by all the attention on others. Our running game is going to make or break our offense this year.

Sweeney6083
07-03-2007, 12:54 AM
I know everyone is going to think I am crazy but , we could use DD as qb and we could change out backs almost every play and grind out some wins and give our defense a break for a change. Then we could win the national championship and return to th right hand of the father, where we belong. What do you think guys.

Fightin'IrishinATL
07-03-2007, 10:50 AM
quote from JFK:some men see things and ask why, I see things and ask why not? soooo let's win this year

Fightin'IrishinATL
07-03-2007, 10:55 AM
The future is now!!! We should Take'em one game at a time...

grantland
07-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Tradition doesn't graduate. we should expect great things from this team, not wait till 2008

Agreed.

IrishCalves
07-03-2007, 05:54 PM
I used to be a big fan of sprinkling in the option. And after seeing the way the spread option has worked for teams like Texas and WVU, I still think that there is a place for it in college football.

That said, I'd be very leery about ND using it. When our biggest selling point on offense is "Charlie Weis, NFL guru," you start to lose that angle when you're utilizing the option. Weis's image is that of a pro-caliber coach, so IMO, you've got to cater to that, by using pro-caliber plays.

So maybe keep an option play or two in the back of the playbook. Maybe create a small package of plays for Demetrius to use, in limited situations. But with only 1 "dual threat" QB, I hesitate building an offense around the option. 'Cause you're one injury away from needing to find a whole new identity for 2007.

Personally, I cant wait for it to be 2008. Aldridge will be a Junior, Allen and Hughes will have a year under their belts, and they all give you a slightly different dimension. Aldridge is an all around back, Allen is the pure burner, and Hughes looks to be the sledgehammer that I love seeing around the goal line.

Fightin'IrishinATL
07-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I Think The running game is going to be a monster....Think back to when lou ran the t-opiton in the red zone goal line offense with T-Rice and co...things of beauty...gave me "goose bumps", think same scenerio with DD, AA, JA, And schwapp....f--k, mich.,tech.,usc..and the diaz bros....we bury those cockroachs....It's Football...tough, mean , and brutal...hardcore and nasty attitudes... then we pray for you afterwards....GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stonebreakerwasgod
07-05-2007, 10:56 AM
I think alot of us echo those sentiments, ATL.

TexasDomer
07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
It ain't as sexy as Air Quinn has been the last couple of years, but having a strong running game is critical to Weis' offense. When the Pats were balanced, they were unstoppable. We had too many 3d and longs last year, and our young OL needs to establish an identity of knocking people on their fourth points of contact by forcing the action.

I think back to the Sugar Bowl, when we were pulling guards and tackles and sealing outside lanes for Walker. That's the only time we really moved on those guys. I believe we'll see more of that this year.

TexasDomer
07-05-2007, 01:29 PM
I doubt DD will be an option guy any more than the other QBs. I don't think he ran it in HS, did he? He came in as a legitimate passing QB in his own right.

What I expect of him is making stuff happen, like in the Spring, regardless of whether it's option or not. If he's got moves and good feet, then he might be a better scrambler than the others when and if protection breaks down, and he might get a couple of yards where BQ used to throw it away or take a sack.

Sureal
07-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Anybody know when preseason camp starts at ND?

KMac151993
07-06-2007, 01:39 PM
I would love to see the option come back.....

we can dream, can't we? ;)

rdrdreamer
07-06-2007, 02:54 PM
I would love to see the option come back.....

we can dream, can't we? ;)

Someone say dream? One of my favorite pastimes.

The option would be great in certain instances. I am a believer in Coach Weis and his being an offensive genius. Alot of people (some Irish fans) have dismissed this notion as of late. I say to everyone..."Give him an opportunity to layout the schemes with his own recruits across the board". In order to implement your game plan, one needs to have the type of player intact. This year will be better, next year we just may challenge for a National Championship.

IMO...the type of player being offered is one that the coaching staff see's helping us within a year or two. Once in awhile, a player will come along who could help us sooner. I see both Robert Hughes and Armando Allen being but two of these I mention. Our running game will truely be a big part osf us returning to prominence.

So I say, hell yes, lets throw in an option or two...just to mix things up. But mostly to wear down our opponets... :cool:

stonebreakerwasgod
07-06-2007, 04:14 PM
I luved seeing the wishbone at the goal line back in the Holtz heydays. Did anyone think we wouldn't score??? :)

rontdtarchala
07-06-2007, 05:04 PM
it was a thing of beauty wasn't it...lots of misdirection no one knew where we were going with it and when they did they just simply couldn't stop it!

stonebreakerwasgod
07-06-2007, 05:26 PM
We had finishers, misdirection, and a kickbutt OL that would push the D line back some.

rontdtarchala
07-06-2007, 08:13 PM
A freeeking men my brother...we had real offensive linemen!!!!!!! holes so big even bettis got through untouched!!!!

IrishR#1
07-07-2007, 04:23 PM
The running game is gonna be amazing. They need to redshirt Hughes. There are still four running backs (Jabbie, Thomas, Allen, Jabbie) who can produce. Schwapp and Schmidt are also quality full backs, but they are more blocking backs.

stonebreakerwasgod
07-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I think Hughes could be redshirted. That could mean more touches for Jabbie and Allen.

NDgrandson
07-07-2007, 04:58 PM
I say no way on Hughes being redshirted. He has power, speed AND HANDS. He can catch the ball very well. Physically, you know he is ready. If he grasps what he is expected to know, he should have PT.

stonebreakerwasgod
07-07-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't think he will be, but I think it's a possibility. It might depend on whether we get the RB we want in this years class. Also, having one more RB this year (espec another frosh) isn't gonna add much. Who knows, just one more question mark in a series of many.

rdrdreamer
07-07-2007, 05:07 PM
I think Hughes could be redshirted. That could mean more touches for Jabbie and Allen.

Stoney, I am interested on why you feel Robert would/could be red-shirted? Just wondering. Do you feel it would be for strategic reasons, gaining another year for him? Or do you feel Jabbie really is ready? Just curious.

EDIT: Sorry for typing so slow (I am at work). Had I waited or finished quicker, I would have gotten my answer.

stonebreakerwasgod
07-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Tis ok sir. I believe he will play this year. I'm just wondering if we pick up a RB, or whether CW thinks he would be better served by (I call it) redshirting. Although, we all know ND doesn't redshirt. :)

IrishR#1
07-07-2007, 09:37 PM
I just think that it would be too many running backs. Plain and simple.

mlcspinner
07-08-2007, 06:38 AM
We have so much talent in the backfield that I think we are going to have a power running game this year. One thing about CW is he will change form week to week but over all I feel this is the year of the running back.. On a side note because of the talent in the backfield maybe DJ has a real shot at starting at QB?

rdrdreamer
07-08-2007, 09:31 AM
I just think that it would be too many running backs. Plain and simple.

Your thoughts are perceptive Irish, but still...you can never have enough running backs. Hopefully we will continue to get at least one quality back each year to not only compliment our existing corp, but to keep us stocked.

Look I really dislike comparing us with anyone let alone USC, but what has kept them atop is their ability to continually keep the quality player coming in, regardless of the numbers already in place...especially with the running backs. I hope to see us with this problem...to me this would be a sign of all around achievement.

IMO that is...;)

IrishR#1
07-08-2007, 10:55 AM
It would be next-to-impossible to fit in five running backs. I would have liked to keep Thomas at linebacker, but he doesn't fit into the 3-4 as well. Hughes is gonna be great, but another year without Thomas would make it easier to get him quality playing time.

mlcspinner
07-08-2007, 10:57 AM
I just can't see Thomas going back to linebacker. Spinner says that's not going to happen

rdrdreamer
07-08-2007, 11:35 AM
I just can't see Thomas going back to linebacker. Spinner says that's not going to happen

see your point! And also this one...

mlcspinner
"We have so much talent in the backfield that I think we are going to have a power running game this year. One thing about CW is he will change form week to week but over all I feel this is the year of the running back.. On a side note because of the talent in the backfield maybe DJ has a real shot at starting at QB?"

I also do not see this transpiring. Whatever scenarios are put into motion, its nice to have options. Of course with the running backs we have, only one or two will be handling the majority of the load. But, wouldn't be nice to have the likes of Robert Hughes and Luke Schmidt coming in to rest James Aldridge and Asaph Schwapp? With Armando Allen running amok? And if some of us are actually envisioning Demetrius Jones as an option quarterback...then why not use the same vision and see Golden Tate as a slot back?

Also a good point...

IrishR#1
"It would be next-to-impossible to fit in five running backs. I would have liked to keep Thomas at linebacker, but he doesn't fit into the 3-4 as well. Hughes is gonna be great, but another year without Thomas would make it easier to get him quality playing time".

Marlo Stanfield
07-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I think what was really missing from the running game last year which ND had in 2005 was the synergy created from guys like Thomas and Powers-Neal (for 6 games) in '05 complementing DW. It should be interesting to see what happens, last year it just seemed as if DW was over worked and we didn't have a short yardage workhorse (Powers-Neal) or a change of pace runner because Thomas was playing D and Aldridge was hurt. It's nice to have some depth at this position finally. Running back by committee.

I'm a bit concerned about this bunches abilty to catch the ball out of the backfield. DW was pretty much automatic so we kind of take that for granted. Who knows they could all be great at catching the ball, I don't know, that aspect is unproven at this point.

rdrdreamer
07-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Welcome Marlo Stanfield, nice entry to The Gold Helmet. I believe that recieving the ball coming out of the backfield will be one of the priorities bestowed on our running back corp by Coach Weis.

And yes...Darius was great coming out of the backfield!